Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theorists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To all PC gamers - Flaunt your rig in here B-)

+12
lex0r
Humakt
FFZero
Restrider
magnetite
solidsnake78
Rankincountry
RavenEyry
Brazukka
Norlond
Asari tears
windsurfing
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

To all PC gamers - Flaunt your rig in here B-) - Page 2 Empty Re: To all PC gamers - Flaunt your rig in here B-)

Post by Rankincountry Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:42 pm

solidsnake78 wrote:
Rankincountry wrote:
For sound I just use the onboard chipset. I can run everything I own on full settings without any problems - hopefully will be a while before it needs an upgrade.

Thats a very good system you have there, what resolution do you usually game at?

At the moment I have a 1360x768 21" monitor, from back when I only had a tiny cubbyhole for my PC. It's a Samsung so it does have nice, vivid colours. Now we've got a bigger house with a proper study, so I'm negotiating with the missus for a larger monitor (diplomacy takes time :( ) and I think I could game at 1920x1080 without any framerate problems. Bigger than that might be pushing my luck with something like Metro 2033 or Arma II.
Rankincountry
Rankincountry
Nemesis

Location : Sunny Valley Rest Home for Burnt-Out Gamers, Karpyshyn Ward

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianprice74

Back to top Go down

To all PC gamers - Flaunt your rig in here B-) - Page 2 Empty Re: To all PC gamers - Flaunt your rig in here B-)

Post by windsurfing Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:50 pm

Rankincountry wrote:I think I could game at 1920x1080 without any framerate problems. Bigger than that might be pushing my luck with something like Metro 2033 or Arma II.

1920x1080 on most tiles yes it can. Metro 2033 yeah, will have to drop some details. But it will still play if you tried because there are some areas in some maps that are not as demanding as the open world above the surface. But to avoid annoyances of frame drops, easing off on the shadows and switching off Depth of Field will help a lot. Plus bare minimum on MSAA.
windsurfing
windsurfing
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by FFZero Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:30 pm

Here's mine, it's a 2010 Mac Pro with a few bits upgraded.

2 x Intel xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz (12 core)
4 x 1TB HDD
24GB ram
GTX 680 2GB
Apple 27 inch cinema display
Razer Taipan mouse
Razer Arctosa keyboard
FFZero
FFZero
Thorian Creeper

Back to top Go down

Post by windsurfing Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:33 pm

FFZero wrote:Here's mine, it's a 2010 Mac Pro with a few bits upgraded.

4 x 1TB HDD
24GB ram
GTX 680 2GB
Razer Taipan mouse
Razer Arctosa keyboard

Great machine!

Am guessing you are a content creator? Video production? Interactive content development?
windsurfing
windsurfing
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by FFZero Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:35 pm

windsurfing wrote:
FFZero wrote:Here's mine, it's a 2010 Mac Pro with a few bits upgraded.

4 x 1TB HDD
24GB ram
GTX 680 2GB
Razer Taipan mouse
Razer Arctosa keyboard

Great machine!

Am guessing you are a content creator? Video production? Interactive content development?

Originally a film maker but now I’m trying to get into game design.
FFZero
FFZero
Thorian Creeper

Back to top Go down

Post by windsurfing Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:41 pm

FFZero wrote:

Nice Very Happy

What aspect of game design you are looking into?
windsurfing
windsurfing
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by FFZero Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:46 pm

windsurfing wrote:
FFZero wrote:

Nice Very Happy

What aspect of game design you are looking into?

Right now I’m trying out a bit of everything but I’ll probably end up as an animator or cinematic designer.
FFZero
FFZero
Thorian Creeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Humakt Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:31 pm

My main rig is already two years old, but I haven't run into any considerable performance issues which would mandate an upgrade.

Asus Rampage III Extreme
GTX 480
Intel I7 950
Kingston 8 GB DDR3 1333MHz
OCZ AGILITY 3 120 GB SSD, 1.5 TB Caviar Black (two of these) and 1.5 TB Caviar Green.
Fractal Design Define R3 Titanium Grey
Corsair TX850W PSU

For audio I have Creative SB X-FI Extreme Game with Sennheiser's HD 280 Pro headphones. I also have pretty old Logitech Z4 speakers and a microphone with a stand (I do not like having microphone attached to headphones).

For monitors I have Samsung Syncmaster 27" and 22". I only use the latter monitor when I'm doing work or something else that benefits from multiple monitors. Most games do not.

For controls I have Logitech's gaming G15 keyboard and G500 mouse.

I also have over two years old HP Envy 17" attached to my 46" 3D LED television (along with PS3).
Humakt
Humakt
Nightmare

http://www.celestialheavens.com/thundermaps/

Back to top Go down

Post by magnetite Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:02 pm

windsurfing wrote:
Thats correct, flight sims that focus on detail at render are CPU hogs, some more recent sims are no longer sims but arcade junk that have very high frame rates because there is no detail. Poor textures and more focus on ease of play-ability.

With the fully programmable Unified stream processors/CUDA cores of today it is easier to offload much of this to the GPU for on-the fly compute, completely facilitated by Open CL, but no decent flight sim developer has started to adopt whats available. Habits should change with time, plus with more industry co-opreation and push especially from the likes of AMD/HSA and Nvidia.

I used to play Jane's F-15 and F-18 way back in the days. Haven't done much since then on flight sims.

FSX's successor, MS Flight, was turned into an arcade type simulator, but it wasn't very popular. Got cancelled 6 months later.

FSX looks pretty insane graphics wise with these addons. It's not Crysis graphics, but think more along the lines of high resolution Google Earth type imagery (offered by a place called NavTeq). That's what I mean.
magnetite
magnetite
Brute

Back to top Go down

Post by windsurfing Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:06 am

Humakt83 wrote:My main rig is already two years old, but I haven't run into any considerable performance issues which would mandate an upgrade.

Yeah a GFx upgrade is needed in atleast 1 year's time. until then gaming at lower details and/or lower resolutions on some of the more demanding titles will be the order of things.

But if you are planning to upgrade your mobo+CPU+Ram then its better to wait till the end of the year anyway when more of the latest products are out and you can make your choice on what suits you best.
windsurfing
windsurfing
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Humakt Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:11 pm

GTX480 handles so far pretty much any game on 1980x1080 I've played, practically on highest settings barring some pretty useless fluff like higher AA. Maybe if I upgraded my monitor...

Instead of upgrading I could just run two of those in SLI.
Humakt
Humakt
Nightmare

Back to top Go down

Post by lex0r Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:42 pm

MSI Z77 MPOWER
i7-3770K
Crucial tactical tracer 8 GB DDR3 1600
NVIDIA GTX 570 Phantom
Corsair AX860 modular 80+ PSU
Samsung 840 SSD 250GB
Bunch of internal or external HDD with some Terabytes.
lex0r
lex0r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by windsurfing Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:35 am

Humakt83 wrote:GTX480 handles so far pretty much any game on 1980x1080 I've played, practically on highest settings barring some pretty useless fluff like higher AA. Maybe if I upgraded my monitor...

Instead of upgrading I could just run two of those in SLI.

How much would a GTX 480 cost now? I cant even find one on newegg.

If the cost if not that much a saver its better to get the mainstreams of today. There is a chance any GTX 480s found in the wild to be more costly because its hard to find now.

lex0r11 wrote:MSI Z77 MPOWER
i7-3770K
NVIDIA GTX 570 Phantom
Samsung 840 SSD 250GB

Pretty solid system.
windsurfing
windsurfing
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by lex0r Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:47 am

windsurfing wrote:

lex0r11 wrote:MSI Z77 MPOWER
i7-3770K
NVIDIA GTX 570 Phantom
Samsung 840 SSD 250GB

Pretty solid system.

I'll get another 570 in the near future or wait for the next generation depending on theoretical power of 2x 570's vs. the next high end card.

Anyone opinions on the ever returning micro stutter question in SLI/Crossfire?
lex0r
lex0r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by windsurfing Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:02 am

lex0r11 wrote:
I'll get another 570 in the near future or wait for the next generation depending on theoretical power of 2x 570's vs. the next high end card.

Anyone opinions on the ever returning micro stutter question in SLI/Crossfire?

Well I know whats coming with Sea Islands from AMD, don't have the scoop on Nvidia 700 series.

Microshutter on Crossfire and SLi has always been a problem when the frame rates are close to 30-35 fps region.

There is a latency problem that is bus limited over the PCI-E so the traffic and handshakes between the GPUs isn't easy to hide. We see smooth frame rates above this 35fps region, but thats because its being hidden by the higher fps. Its always there.

For this to be truly eradicated, PCI-E needs a revamp to reduce excess snooping on the bus and have a dedicated bypass for multi GPUs, PCI-E was never made with just GPUs in mind it has much wider purpose for serving as the main BUS, so something needs to supplement it to better address multi GPUs.

Proposals are being put forward but MS has a big say on the OS level as well. Drafts are being made, maybe in the coming years there will be some developments on this front, its still just a niche market with a small user base so takes time to get changes push through to market.
windsurfing
windsurfing
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by lex0r Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:48 pm

Thank you for your insights, windsurfing.

We'll have to see what the next year brings. I read about rumors that NVIDIA might unveil their next kepler chip at the end of February something codenamed "Titan".

So basically the 700's I guess.
lex0r
lex0r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by windsurfing Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:56 pm

lex0r11 wrote:Thank you for your insights, windsurfing.

We'll have to see what the next year brings. I read about rumors that NVIDIA might unveil their next kepler chip at the end of February something codenamed "Titan".

So basically the 700's I guess.

Ah that rumor but its not the 700 series its still the same current kepler but based off of the GK110 chip which was originally made for the HPC servers and Tesla stuff.

Its going to be pricey and at best give 85% of a GTX 690's performance.

A true new generation to current kepler is behind AMD's new Sea Islands HD 8000 series of GPUs by a couple of months. Nothing in Feb.

If nVidia tries to pull a fast one on people by naming it 700 series, the press is going to do a good job of smacking nVidia. Re brands work with OEMs but not with the high end consumers like you who are well versed with your tech and who buy these things.
windsurfing
windsurfing
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by lex0r Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:06 pm

Ah, so that's what it was. Interesting.
lex0r
lex0r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Humakt Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:02 pm

windsurfing wrote:
If the cost if not that much a saver its better to get the mainstreams of today. There is a chance any GTX 480s found in the wild to be more costly because its hard to find now.

I know a good cheap source for one. I'd likely have to abandon my soundcard though, since GTX 480 is physically quite large despite my motherboard having slots for all of them.

Haven't checked the charts as of late, but running GTX 480s in SLI should still manage to beat the most higher end up cards performance-wise?
Humakt
Humakt
Nightmare

Back to top Go down

Post by windsurfing Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Humakt83 wrote:

Haven't checked the charts as of late, but running GTX 480s in SLI should still manage to beat the most higher end up cards performance-wise?

Yes in SLi it will beat or match most higher end cards of today, if you don't mind the power draw that the Fermis have.

How much will it cost you? That will make the choice more clearer.
windsurfing
windsurfing
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Humakt Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:53 pm

windsurfing wrote:
Humakt83 wrote:

Yes in SLi it will beat or match most higher end cards of today, if you don't mind the power draw that the Fermis have.

How much will it cost you? That will make the choice more clearer.

Heh, I originally bought two of them. Sold the other one to my father when I realized what a foolish redundancy running them in SLI was back then. He still has it and has already suggested selling it back to me. I'm sure we can agree on a very reasonable price. 8)
Humakt
Humakt
Nightmare

Back to top Go down

Post by windsurfing Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:42 pm

Humakt83 wrote:
Heh, I originally bought two of them. Sold the other one to my father when I realized what a foolish redundancy running them in SLI was back then. He still has it and has already suggested selling it back to me. I'm sure we can agree on a very reasonable price. 8)

What PSU you have? Model?
windsurfing
windsurfing
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Humakt Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:05 pm

windsurfing wrote:
Humakt83 wrote:

What PSU you have? Model?

I already mentioned it above. Corsair TX850W PSU.
Humakt
Humakt
Nightmare

Back to top Go down

Post by windsurfing Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:34 pm

Humakt83 wrote:
I already mentioned it above. Corsair TX850W PSU.

Ah sorry my bad I need to get some sleep I guess. yeah that power supply can trip if you are able to load two 480 GTX to the max in certain rare conditions. Its hard to do unless you run a power virus like FurMark & OCCT. There is however the chance you are getting very close to the efficiency limits of your PSU making it loose life quickly than it otherwise would in a normal degrade.

Not a major problem for the cards, just that if the PSU is going to give out it will just do it and you will have to get a new one like a 1000 watt or 1200 watt PSU, its always a good practice to have more efficiency spare room in the PSU to handle the expected heavy loads.
windsurfing
windsurfing
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Humakt Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:03 pm

windsurfing wrote:
Ah sorry my bad I need to get some sleep I guess. yeah that power supply can trip if you are able to load two 480 GTX to the max in certain rare conditions. Its hard to do unless you run a power virus like FurMark & OCCT. There is however the chance you are getting very close to the efficiency limits of your PSU making it loose life quickly than it otherwise would in a normal degrade.

Not a major problem for the cards, just that if the PSU is going to give out it will just do it and you will have to get a new one like a 1000 watt or 1200 watt PSU, its always a good practice to have more efficiency spare room in the PSU to handle the expected heavy loads.

Yeah, depends how much I would use them in SLI as well. I play a lot of older games too and majority of the new games do not require that much GPU power anyway.

I'll eventually buy a new system. However, I don't see it happening this year. At least not yet.
Humakt
Humakt
Nightmare

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum