Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theorists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dragon Age Thread

+36
Eryri
Hanako Ikezawa
ViolentSound
Byne
RavenEyry
ericformans_sisterisdead
Norlond
CSSteele
vlad78
dorktainian
Ithurael
Dwailing
CoolioThane
TurianRebel212
demersel
symbowles
BlueLogic
Fur28
HYR 2.1
Maximus
Jusseb
Vizard355
shep117
Master Blaster
Hrothdane
southbeatz
Lombus
Cyberfrog
FFZero
Raistlin Majere
DSharrah
Andromidius
lex0r
umadcommander
Humakt
GethJuggernautMKII
40 posters

Page 4 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18 ... 33  Next

Go down

The Dragon Age Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Dragon Age Thread

Post by DSharrah Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:29 pm

Rifneno wrote:A lot of people mentioned the "archdemon" in the trailer... I don't think that's an archdemon. It doesn't look taint ravaged. And last archdemon used some sort of purple corruption looking breath weapon. That dragon has a traditional fire breath weapon. It may simply be a random high dragon. It could also be Flemeth.

It didn't look like the model they used for Flemeth's Dragon Form in DA II...that doesn't mean that they wouldn't redesign it again...I just hope that it's not the case...
DSharrah
DSharrah
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:02 pm

dork wrote:i thought the trailer was underwhelming to be honest.

Me too. I see almost nothing to look forward to. I was more interested in the Witcher 3 trailer actually.

Back to top Go down

Post by DSharrah Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:52 pm

SwobyJ wrote:

Me too. I see almost nothing to look forward to. I was more interested in the Witcher 3 trailer actually.

I don't know...Morrigan's involvment in the story gets my hopes up that they will return to the lore/story that has made DA great...which makes me wonder if it was a new form of Darkspawn being released from the heavens in the trailer...they seem to at least be taking their time with this game - just hope that means better things.
DSharrah
DSharrah
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:22 pm

DSharrah wrote:
SwobyJ wrote:

I don't know...Morrigan's involvment in the story gets my hopes up that they will return to the lore/story that has made DA great...which makes me wonder if it was a new form of Darkspawn being released from the heavens in the trailer...they seem to at least be taking their time with this game - just hope that means better things.

Sorry, what I mean is that I'm interested to a point, but I'm not looking forward to it. "Looking forward" to a game means I'm specifically interested in a thing to a significant degree.

Basically nothing changed for me. I was kinda interested before, and I'm kinda interested now. Witcher 3, on the other hand, has me looking forward to it. That's the difference :)

Back to top Go down

Post by Lombus Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 am

Interesting theory regarding the rings seen on the website: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/371/index/16848019

Also the fact that the trailer was actually made with game footage...well the game looks amazing...and of course some good old Morrigan I disapproveHeart. Can't wait to see more!
Lombus
Lombus
Adjutant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:04 pm

DSharrah wrote:
SwobyJ wrote:

DA's problem wasn't that the story - at a basic level - was below DAO's standards.  On the contrary, Kirkwall was as dark as anything DAO had to offer and its mysteries were at least as fascinating (IMO).  The problem was that everything was railroaded, choices were completely thrown out the window, and everyone in the game had to act like they were functionally retarded.  DA2 would've worked far better as a book, which is where Gaider should stick to writing if you ask me.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by DSharrah Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:35 pm

Rifneno wrote:
DSharrah wrote:
SwobyJ wrote:

DA's problem wasn't that the story - at a basic level - was below DAO's standards.  On the contrary, Kirkwall was as dark as anything DAO had to offer and its mysteries were at least as fascinating (IMO).  The problem was that everything was railroaded, choices were completely thrown out the window, and everyone in the game had to act like they were functionally retarded.  DA2 would've worked far better as a book, which is where Gaider should stick to writing if you ask me.

Fair point.  There are some very interesting things going on with the lore in DA II that kinda get buried...
DSharrah
DSharrah
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:56 am

Huh.  I was making mention of Meredith as an "aryan bitch" what with her blonde hair and blue eyes and genocidal fascism.  Then I noticed... a lot of the templars look aryan (at least in DA2, I haven't played DAO in ages).  Like, far more than for it to be by chance.  When talking to 3 recruits to get the Enemies Among Us quest, every damn one of them is blond(e) hair, blue eyes.  Generally when a templar isn't fairly aryan looking, they're a special case.  Like Thrask, registered ginger and one of the few templars I didn't want to skin alive.  When you look at the rest of the population of Kirkwall, you don't typically see this.  There's lots of brown.  I seriously think this was intentional.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Master Blaster Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:11 am

Lombus wrote:Interesting theory regarding the rings seen on the website: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/371/index/16848019

Also the fact that the trailer was actually made with game footage...well the game looks amazing...and of course some good old Morrigan I disapproveHeart. Can't wait to see more!

Interesting.
Master Blaster
Master Blaster
Geth Prime

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:39 pm

Huh. They did a comic series last year called Those Who Speak. There were some ancient drawings of Andraste shown in it. She sure does have some resemblances to the figure in the Lyrium Idol of Ultimate Evil. ... But, I'm sure that was just how everyone looked in the day. It was probably fashion or something. Unsure

... Sure wish this thread got more traffic. Be nice to analyze something besides ME. And maybe it'd be worth putting more effort into this than a quick sarcastic paragraph.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by umadcommander Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Rifneno wrote:Huh.  They did a comic series last year called Those Who Speak.  There were some ancient drawings of Andraste shown in it.  She sure does have some resemblances to the figure in the Lyrium Idol of Ultimate Evil.  ...  But, I'm sure that was just how everyone looked in the day.  It was probably fashion or something. Unsure

...  Sure wish this thread got more traffic.  Be nice to analyze something besides ME.  And maybe it'd be worth putting more effort into this than a quick sarcastic paragraph.

I'd be extremely surprised if Andraste was entirely legit, you have to ask yourself what sort of person can rise against and all but destroy the Tevinter imperium, even after the first blight they are not the easiest of things to topple.

And yeah id like to see this thread get at least a little more attention, im not as familiar with DA lore as perhaps i should be Grin
umadcommander
umadcommander
Rachni Brood Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Norlond Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:59 am

Same here, it's been quite a while since I read the entire codex or even played DA:O, so I probably should do something about that, then we can discuss some stuff here Joyful

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/415089/interviews/interview-bioware-on-dragon-age-inquisition/

Will player choices from the previous two games factor in the Inquisition story?

Certainly we want to respect the investment that people have made in the first to games. We don't have a specific comment yet on how we're going to do that, but it's become a really big 'BioWare-ism' to do that so want to keep it going. We just don't know how we're going to do it yet so we can't comment.
Wondering
Norlond
Norlond
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/user/Skyzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:02 pm

Norlond wrote:Same here, it's been quite a while since I read the entire codex or even played DA:O, so I probably should do something about that, then we can discuss some stuff here Joyful

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/415089/interviews/interview-bioware-on-dragon-age-inquisition/

Will player choices from the previous two games factor in the Inquisition story?

Certainly we want to respect the investment that people have made in the first to games. We don't have a specific comment yet on how we're going to do that, but it's become a really big 'BioWare-ism' to do that so want to keep it going. We just don't know how we're going to do it yet so we can't comment.
Wondering

AKA we'll have the story reflected in some ways but SCREW YOU WE'RE RETCONNING ANYTHING WE THINK WE HAVE TO.

Back to top Go down

Post by umadcommander Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:07 pm

SwobyJ wrote:
Norlond wrote:Same here, it's been quite a while since I read the entire codex or even played DA:O, so I probably should do something about that, then we can discuss some stuff here Joyful

Wondering

AKA we'll have the story reflected in some ways but SCREW YOU WE'RE RETCONNING ANYTHING WE THINK WE HAVE TO.

Thats what it sounds like isn't it, cant say id be overly surprised :/
umadcommander
umadcommander
Rachni Brood Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:38 pm

umadcommander wrote:I'd be extremely surprised if Andraste was entirely legit, you have to ask yourself what sort of person can rise against and all but destroy the Tevinter imperium, even after the first blight they are not the easiest of things to topple.

And yeah id like to see this thread get at least a little more attention, im not as familiar with DA lore as perhaps i should be Grin

Yeah, no way is Andraste legit. This is just the first I've seen/heard of her being associated with the lyrium idol. Obviously if she's the figure in the idol, then my Arlathan theory is wrong since that happened long before Andraste. Anyways... only two real features can be gleaned from the figure in the idol. 1. There's a long spike on the forehead pointing upwards. 2. There's something like an elaborate flowing veil from the back of their head.

Three characters wore crowns with those types of spikes. Meredith, Flemeth, and Andraste. Meredith trying to look like Andraste is exactly the kind of self-righteous asshole thing she'd do, so Meredith's is probably just that. Which leaves Flemeth and Andraste. Mind you, one of the theories on what Flemeth is that she actually is Andraste. I'm not big on that one though because Flemeth doesn't strike me as evil. Andraste... well... Anyways. Andraste's blonde hair is shown in that drawing as being grand and flowing like what we assumed was a veil on the figure in the idol. So both of the features fit her.

I'm still of the belief that Andraste was the Dumat OGB. The defeat of the Dumat archdemon was the biggest event in Thedas history. That one caused more damage than all the others combined. We don't know anything about who slew it though. They should be known as the greatest hero in Thedas history. But we don't know anything about them? Or about how the archdemon was fell? I call shenanigans. And when you consider that Andraste with her "Maker-given" powers appeared 20 years later, just enough time for an OGB from the archdemon to grow to adulthood... Yeah, my money is firmly on Andraste being the Dumat OGB.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:40 pm

Oh, and I found my perfect party! Woot!

The Dragon Age Thread - Page 4 2it9xh
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Byne Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:28 pm

Rifneno wrote:Oh, and I found my perfect party!  Woot!

*snip*

Isabelanders looks quite odd standing like that.
Byne
Byne
Threadmaster™

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:32 pm

Byne wrote:

*snip*

Sometimes an abomination just wants to feel pretty, I guess.  I'm more curious about the third Anders from the left.  He looks like he's playing air guitar.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Byne Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:03 pm

Rifneno wrote:
Byne wrote:

*snip*

Sometimes an abomination just wants to feel pretty, I guess.  I'm more curious about the third Anders from the left.  He looks like he's playing air guitar.

Everyone loves Air Guitar!
Byne
Byne
Threadmaster™

Back to top Go down

Post by DSharrah Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Rifneno wrote:
umadcommander wrote:I'd be extremely surprised if Andraste was entirely legit, you have to ask yourself what sort of person can rise against and all but destroy the Tevinter imperium, even after the first blight they are not the easiest of things to topple.

Yeah, no way is Andraste legit.  This is just the first I've seen/heard of her being associated with the lyrium idol.  Obviously if she's the figure in the idol, then my Arlathan theory is wrong since that happened long before Andraste.  Anyways...  only two real features can be gleaned from the figure in the idol.  1. There's a long spike on the forehead pointing upwards.  2. There's something like an elaborate flowing veil from the back of their head.

Three characters wore crowns with those types of spikes.  Meredith, Flemeth, and Andraste.  Meredith trying to look like Andraste is exactly the kind of self-righteous asshole thing she'd do, so Meredith's is probably just that.  Which leaves Flemeth and Andraste.  Mind you, one of the theories on what Flemeth is that she actually is Andraste.  I'm not big on that one though because Flemeth doesn't strike me as evil.  Andraste... well...  Anyways.  Andraste's blonde hair is shown in that drawing as being grand and flowing like what we assumed was a veil on the figure in the idol.  So both of the features fit her.

I'm still of the belief that Andraste was the Dumat OGB.  The defeat of the Dumat archdemon was the biggest event in Thedas history.  That one caused more damage than all the others combined.  We don't know anything about who slew it though.  They should be known as the greatest hero in Thedas history.  But we don't know anything about them?  Or about how the archdemon was fell?  I call shenanigans.  And when you consider that Andraste with her "Maker-given" powers appeared 20 years later, just enough time for an OGB from the archdemon to grow to adulthood... Yeah, my money is firmly on Andraste being the Dumat OGB.

It would be a shame if you were wrong about the "sinking of Arthalan (sp?)"/strange thaig connection...but a connection between Andraste and the Lyrium Idol is interesting...I wouldn't be surprised if you are right about Andraste being the Dumat OGB > assuming that you think that Flemeth performed the ritual? Does that mean that a side affect of the ritual is "immortatlity"? Or is that something else? And does that mean the Morrigan is walking the same path that Flemeth once did? Also still wondering how they will work the idea of the dark ritual being performed in DAO into DAI - will it be retconned that it was done no matter what? So much good stuff to speculate about.
DSharrah
DSharrah
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:45 pm

DSharrah wrote:It would be a shame if you were wrong about the "sinking of Arthalan (sp?)"/strange thaig connection...but a connection between Andraste and the Lyrium Idol is interesting...I wouldn't be surprised if you are right about Andraste being the Dumat OGB > assuming that you think that Flemeth performed the ritual?  Does that mean that a side affect of the ritual is "immortatlity"?  Or is that something else?  And does that mean the Morrigan is walking the same path that Flemeth once did?  Also still wondering how they will work the idea of the dark ritual being performed in DAO into DAI - will it be retconned that it was done no matter what?  So much good stuff to speculate about.

I've no idea who perform the rite. If it was on accident or purposeful, with benevolent or malevolent intent... All I know is that the timeline matches up too perfectly and it explains a lot. If she were really from the "Maker", then why is there a 20 year gap between the end of the First Blight and when he armies marched on Tevinter? With thousands of years in Thedas' history, what are the chances of these two events (the defeat of the Dumat archdemon and the birth of the Maker's chosen) syncing up so perfectly by chance?

I think it's more likely that Flemeth is the result of the ritual rather than its conductor. Which is to say, that she's Andraste. We know she can survive having her physical form destroyed since the Warden can kill her and she pops out of Hawke's insurance policy of an amulet safe and sound. So if she was Andraste, being burned at the stake wouldn't truly finish her. Not that I necessarily think this is the case. Flemeth doesn't strike me as evil. Dumat/Andraste... well...

Likely they'll retcon the dark ritual, yeah. Once upon a time, Gaider assured us that they wouldn't. But I really don't have enough salt to take his words with.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:33 pm

Rifneno wrote:
DSharrah wrote:It would be a shame if you were wrong about the "sinking of Arthalan (sp?)"/strange thaig connection...but a connection between Andraste and the Lyrium Idol is interesting...I wouldn't be surprised if you are right about Andraste being the Dumat OGB > assuming that you think that Flemeth performed the ritual?  Does that mean that a side affect of the ritual is "immortatlity"?  Or is that something else?  And does that mean the Morrigan is walking the same path that Flemeth once did?  Also still wondering how they will work the idea of the dark ritual being performed in DAO into DAI - will it be retconned that it was done no matter what?  So much good stuff to speculate about.

I've no idea who perform the rite.  If it was on accident or purposeful, with benevolent or malevolent intent...  All I know is that the timeline matches up too perfectly and it explains a lot.  If she were really from the "Maker", then why is there a 20 year gap between the end of the First Blight and when he armies marched on Tevinter?  With thousands of years in Thedas' history, what are the chances of these two events (the defeat of the Dumat archdemon and the birth of the Maker's chosen) syncing up so perfectly by chance?

I think it's more likely that Flemeth is the result of the ritual rather than its conductor.  Which is to say, that she's Andraste.  We know she can survive having her physical form destroyed since the Warden can kill her and she pops out of Hawke's insurance policy of an amulet safe and sound.  So if she was Andraste, being burned at the stake wouldn't truly finish her.  Not that I necessarily think this is the case.  Flemeth doesn't strike me as evil.  Dumat/Andraste... well...

Likely they'll retcon the dark ritual, yeah.  Once upon a time, Gaider assured us that they wouldn't.  But I really don't have enough salt to take his words with.

I considered the Andraste = Flemeth thing as well and who is to say what Flemeths plans are.

At the moment she has been involved at a critical point of two of the most influental recent persons in Dragon Age history, saving both of them from certain death and setting them on the path that would lead to their rise...I doubt that is a coincedence.

But I agree she does not strike me as evil. She strikes me as having a plan, a far reaching one, but not necesarily an evil one.

We will have to see, but I am going to bet Flemeth will show up at a key moment in the next game as well. Possibly quite early and probably saving the main character.

As for the Dark Ritual. I would count on that one beeing retconned to always have happened. It sucks, but I get the feeling they are not playing the Dragon Age series as deep in the whole choice carrying over thing.
Raistlin Majere
Raistlin Majere
N7

Back to top Go down

Post by DSharrah Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:49 pm

I never got the sense that Flemeth was evil either...just more of a general condescending attitude towards the world in general...I guess being able to turn into a dragon could do that for you...but, not evil.

I think that there is too much potential in the OGB story arc to let it not be "canon"...and to be honest with you I think I would be ok with that particular retcon.  I think it makes the "warden" character more realistic - what person doesn't fear their own mortatlity?  And to give into the tempation of being able to protect that mortality, seems more real to me.

Maybe I have my timeline wrong (wouldn't surprise me if I did), but I thought that the stories of Flemeth predated that of the First Blight?  Which was why I was wondering if you thought that she (Flemeth) performed the ritual and "gave birth" to Andraste, somehow being changed in the process?  And how that related to Morrigan?  But if they don't then Flemeth = Andraste could very well be possible...

Out of curiousity is there anything in particular that makes you think that Dumat/Andraste is evil?
DSharrah
DSharrah
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Well I dont have anything In paticular that makes me see Andraste as evil, but we dont have a whole lot of information on her. In general I would say I hold a distrust for important religius figures, but that is more of a dislike of the way organized religion in general works. 

But hardly much to be said without knowing her.

But to add to the idea of the Dark Ritual beeing canon it would mean the Warden is still alive.

Add to that the Champion and if the next game follows the same ending formular we would have Warden, Champion and Inquisitor all alive and possibly with their whereabouts unknown or only partially known by the player.

What would that mean? I have no idea, but each person is a very important person in the lore who has properly not had their last chapter written.
Raistlin Majere
Raistlin Majere
N7

Back to top Go down

Post by DSharrah Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:04 pm

Raistlin Majere wrote:Well I dont have anything In paticular that makes me see Andraste as evil, but we dont have a whole lot of information on her. In general I would say I hold a distrust for important religius figures, but that is more of a dislike of the way organized religion in general works. 

But hardly much to be said without knowing her.

But to add to the idea of the Dark Ritual beeing canon it would mean the Warden is still alive.

Add to that the Champion and if the next game follows the same ending formular we would have Warden, Champion and Inquisitor all alive and possibly with their whereabouts unknown or only partially known by the player.

What would that mean? I have no idea, but each person is a very important person in the lore who has properly not had their last chapter written.

That's why I asked about Andraste being evil...I never liked what the chantry stood for, but I always imagined that given what Andraste meant in universe it was likely that anything she said/did would easily be twisted to fit the particular religious leader in charge of the current era...so I never was so quick to pass my judgements about the chantry onto Andraste herself.  Maybe I am wrong *shrugs*.

As for the Warden that participated in the Dark Ritual that produced the Dumat OGB being alive...possible, but by the current timeline surely he would have "succumbed to the call" or died.  If you were referring to the Warden from DAO - of course they could be alive - but that's not necessarily dependent on the Dark Ritual - you could easily have Alistair or Loghain take the final blow and be alive in those scenarios as well.

And to be honest with you...if there isn't at least some indirect involvement with both the Warden and the Champion in Inquisition than I will be disappointed.
DSharrah
DSharrah
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18 ... 33  Next