Priority: Earth - where is the beam sited? A possible spot for the breath scene.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Priority: Earth - where is the beam sited? A possible spot for the breath scene.

Post by Rankincountry on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:33 pm

I work in London and live very close by. So I keep thinking to myself, where in London does the beam run take place? I've come up with a hypothesis as to the actual location of the beam and hence a possible location for the breath scene, if we assume that it's not on the Citadel. It also explains a couple of the clues left behind in Bioware's viral marketing campaign back in 2010. TSA made a thread about this a while back.

I started by trying to identify some landmarks around the beam site. I found this (I think) flycammed, high angle image of the beam run which gives a good view of the surroundings. What I see when I look at this is that behind the beam is the river, looking choked with pollution. The river appears to curve around as shown by the arrow. On the far left, in the skyline, is the sillhouette of Elizabeth Tower, which contains Big Ben - the tapering top of the clock tower is very distinctive. Meanwhile the wreckage to the sides looks to have come from a large building.

There's only one location that is a good match for the skyline, sweep of the river and position of the Elizabeth Tower and that's Vauxhall Cross, south of the Thames and not far from Waterloo Station and the South Bank. Here's a google street view shot of the nearby Vauxhall bridge that illustrates what I mean.

The very tall building near the Houses of Parliament (the Natwest Tower) may have been partially destroyed by the Reapers - there is a shorter building in a similar spot in the screenshot which has what looks like jagged wreckage poking out of the top. What you can't see in the street view is that just to the left of the picture is Vauxhall Cross, headquarters of the Secret Intelligence Service, aka MI6.

They want to tell you this, they want to tell you that, just hold your hat when the black wind blows

Everywhere I go I hear what's going on
And the more I hear the less I know

John Jones/Oysterband
Rankincountry
Nemesis

Location : Sunny Valley Rest Home for Burnt-Out Gamers, Karpyshyn Ward

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianprice74

Back to top Go down

Re: Priority: Earth - where is the beam sited? A possible spot for the breath scene.

Post by Rankincountry on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:42 pm

MI6 is referenced in one of the QR codes put out by Bioware as an additional clue. So I'm hypothesising that the location of the beam run is Vauxhall Cross, or nearby. The reapers have destroyed both this building and the bridge to clear enough space to place the conduit. It's a pretty hefty building, explaining the large pieces of wreckage to the right of the run. Now, assuming the breath scene takes place in the same location, here's a map showing the area where I think we might find the Commander:

"London is drowning and I live by the river" - from London Calling, by The Clash.

There's sense in the beam being here if the Citadel is indeed the construction site for the human reaper, since Vauxhall itself and the surrounding areas of Battersea, Balham, Clapham, Kennington, Wandsworth, Brixton and others are mainly very densely populated residential areas. The populations are very diverse, maximising genetic variation.

So - what do you reckon? I could be reaching massively with this, but I think I might be on to something. Shepard

They want to tell you this, they want to tell you that, just hold your hat when the black wind blows

John Jones/Oysterband
Rankincountry
Nemesis

Back to top Go down

Re: Priority: Earth - where is the beam sited? A possible spot for the breath scene.

Post by demersel on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:49 am

Well, they did post the coorditates of MI6 headquaters in those teaser clues way before launch. And the clash song. So yeah - i think you're onto something.
demersel
Battlemaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolioThane on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:53 am

Holy fudge you GENIUS!!!!

http://www.achievementhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gunslinger_ruiz on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:16 am

Interesting insights, and thank you for putting it together. But, what exactly does it all mean then? Bioware's clues were not only showing us it's ME3 they were revealing at that awards show, but now that London is more important than we thought, and the wreckage where the Breath Scene may have taken place.

Hmm...Must think on this more.
gunslinger_ruiz
Cannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by demersel on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:17 am

Ramkincountry - this is pure genius!

First - for some reason it never ever occured to me that the thing behind the beam is actually the river - for some reason I always thought that it was a very weird patch of scorched earth - like the sovereign landing site on Eden prime.

Second - the the Natwest Tower. I think the extended Take Earth Back cinematic actually shows it being taken down by the reapers.

You can see it here at 1.17

Last edited by demersel on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:02 am; edited 2 times in total
demersel
Battlemaster

Back to top Go down

Post by demersel on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:18 am

gunslinger_ruiz wrote:? Bioware's clues were not only showing us it's ME3 they were revealing at that awards show, but now that London is more important than we thought, and the wreckage where the Breath Scene may have taken place.

Keep in mind that the last clue was Red Herring.
demersel
Battlemaster

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedingUranium on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:31 am

Very well done, I'm sold on this!
BleedingUranium
Thresher Maw

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:49 am

Someone else did this too (was it Megumi?), and compared cinematics to locations... IIRC that person found several more landmarks by also figuring out the location of the FOB and such... the final conclusion was that the location of the beam is Buckingham Palace.

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedingUranium on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:00 am

DoomsdayDevice wrote:Someone else did this too (was it Megumi?), and compared cinematics to locations... IIRC that person found several more landmarks by also figuring out the location of the FOB and such... the final conclusion was that the location of the beam is Buckingham Palace.

Oh right! Yes, I believe it was her. Hmm, this could be a problem Sad
BleedingUranium
Thresher Maw

Back to top Go down

Post by Rankincountry on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:29 am

BleedingUranium wrote:
DoomsdayDevice wrote:Someone else did this too (was it Megumi?), and compared cinematics to locations... IIRC that person found several more landmarks by also figuring out the location of the FOB and such... the final conclusion was that the location of the beam is Buckingham Palace.

Buckingham Palace is some distance from the river so if I've correctly identified the Thames there is no way that is the Palace. Not saying I can't be wrong but I do have local knowledge. I'll see if I can find the old discussion.

John Jones/Oysterband
Rankincountry
Nemesis

Back to top Go down

Post by Davik Kang on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:10 am

Rankincountry wrote:
BleedingUranium wrote:

Buckingham Palace is some distance from the river so if I've correctly identified the Thames there is no way that is the Palace. Not saying I can't be wrong but I do have local knowledge. I'll see if I can find the old discussion.

As DD said, Megumi was talking with FFZero and me about the location of the beam. Buckingham Palace did seem possible. Much credence was kent to the fact that one of the final scenes is described as Oxford Circus in the game files.

I'm still catching up on the IT thread but once I'm done I'll come back here to have another look, see if I can refresh my memory. If Megumi or FFZero pop in here that'd def help.
Davik Kang
Mercenary

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryri on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:31 am

Great work Rankin. I never twigged that it was the river just behind the conduit. That explains why they only approached it from one side.

I hope you're right about this.. That would mean that the other pre-release teasers are more likely to mean something as well - "the red herring" etc.
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by Rankincountry on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:59 am

Davik Kang wrote:As DD said, Megumi was talking with FFZero and me about the location of the beam. Buckingham Palace did seem possible. Much credence was kent to the fact that one of the final scenes is described as Oxford Circus in the game files.

I'm still catching up on the IT thread but once I'm done I'll come back here to have another look, see if I can refresh my memory. If Megumi or FFZero pop in here that'd def help.

A journey south from Oxford Circus to the palace would explain all the store fronts. If the river is actually scorched ground and the reapers simply levelled the palace then it could be right. You would need to go through either St James Park or Green Park to get to the palace from the north - both very large, wide open spaces

I think whether I'm right or wrong about the river will clinch it.

John Jones/Oysterband
Rankincountry
Nemesis

Back to top Go down

Post by Andromidius on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:26 am

Hmm.

I think that's about right, and I never noticed that was a river before. It fits perfectly.

So you're saying the beam run could be through the wreckage of Vauxhall Cross? Would explain all the ruins, and it would likely have been a place of resistance for the Reapers to destroy.

Also, I believe Vauxhall Cross has a lot of underground tunnels and chambers connected to it. Who knows what's hidden beneith?

The Buckingham Palace element I'm not to set on, its quite a distance from the river and there's a lot of open grass and trees surrounding it. Where would that supposedly take place?

And also there are a lot of relatively small 'park' areas where the shuttle landings could take place which aren't that far from the river.

Also, Downing Street isn't all that far from that area either. Maybe that's the site of the FOV? Or is that a bit too fanciful?

Finaly, as mentioned there are a few large wooded parks within London. Which look suspitously like the one in the dream sequences. If its the same place, Shepard may have been dreaming of London since very early on in the game!
Andromidius
Admin

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by demersel on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:38 pm

Remember my theory that the breath scene takes place in some undeground tunnel, where shepard crushed into, when harbinger blasted him? He was right above it right before harbinger's shot, and harbinger blew a hole in the ground right under shaprd's feet - explains how he survived and why harbinger didn't finish him off right away, while having all armor schourched, also explains why the breath scene seem's like an enclosed area. Also explains all rubble art works with shepard and Anderson - they all have debree in the top part of the picture.
Also explains why london was important, and chosen as a place of focus by the writers - If you're writing a story where your hero gets miracilusly saved from certain death in the very last second by falling into some undeground or tube tunnel - you pick a location where EVERYBODY ON EARTH knows that such tunnels exists and it is not just your lazy writing (oh, look, there was a tunnel right there). After all London is the very first city on Earth that had the undeground built.
demersel
Battlemaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryri on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:55 pm

demersel wrote:Remember my theory that the breath scene takes place in some undeground tunnel, where shepard crushed into, when harbinger blasted him? He was right above it right before harbinger's shot, and harbinger blew a hole in the ground right under shaprd's feet - explains how he survived and why harbinger didn't finish him off right away, while having all armor schourched, also explains why the breath scene seem's like an enclosed area. Also explains all rubble art works with shepard and Anderson - they all have debree in the top part of the picture.
Also explains why london was important, and chosen as a place of focus by the writers - If you're writing a story where your hero gets miracilusly saved from certain death in the very last second by falling into some undeground or tube tunnel - you pick a location where EVERYBODY ON EARTH knows that such tunnels exists and it is not just your lazy writing (oh, look, there was a tunnel right there). After all London is the very first city on Earth that had the undeground built.

That's a really good point. The transport crash might even have been foreshadowing of that. It seems to get stuck when the ground collapses underneath it.
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by Rankincountry on Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:45 pm

Vauxhall is on the Victoria line and the station exit is right by Vauxhall Cross. Next to the MI6 building are an apartment complex with underground parking on one side and an office blockon the other - safe to assume it has a basement. So there are underground structures all over that area.

John Jones/Oysterband
Rankincountry
Nemesis

Back to top Go down

Post by Andromidius on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:09 pm

Shepard

Nice.
Andromidius
Admin

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry on Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:18 pm

Seems plausible. Those QR codes once again appear to be more than just a general teaser.
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedingUranium on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:58 am

There's a good shot of the beam when the Hammer shuttles are coming in to land, I believe Megumi used it as reference for part of her version.
BleedingUranium
Thresher Maw

Back to top Go down

Post by Rankincountry on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:25 pm

Alrighty, I think I might have cracked this one. Here's a frame I grabbed from the video that Megumi and Davik were looking at, and check out the position of the beam, right near a bend in the river, consistent with the screenshot of the beam in the OP.

After this, a shuttle is shot down, then the cutscene cuts to the interior of another shuttle where soldiers are checking their weapons. Then it cuts to a close up of the shuttle landing in a street, with no visible skyline or landmarks. Given that the cutscene supports my hypothesis by showing the beam next to a bend in the river that, as far as I can tell, can only be the one near Vauxhall Cross, I would suggest that the landing site is actually south of the river.

Notice also that in the cutscene, the water in the river looks normal, yet in the beam run screenshot, it glows red - evidence that Shepard's grip on reality is beginning to fade? In addition, if I recall correctly, when Shepard "wakes up" after being blasted by Harbinger, you can see water flowing up the slope of the beam run.

John Jones/Oysterband
Rankincountry
Nemesis

Back to top Go down

Post by ElSuperGecko on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:01 pm

Good stuff! I will have to take yet \nother close look at the beam run and the trailers! :)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top