What's Missing In ME3 That ME4 Could Fix

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What's Missing In ME3 That ME4 Could Fix

Post by southbeatz on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:21 am

I think ME3 should have had some conversations between Shepard and Harbinger on the Normandy with the vidcom thing just to add some back and forth between the two. I know in ME4 they might not even have Reapers or Harbinger and of course this is provided they even make a ME4. If they make a ME4, I'd like to see them have our character have more conversations with the main villain to build up things more. I'm not going to type a long post here, I'd like to see what other people thinks could have been done differently or better or could still in a potential ME4.
southbeatz
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Re: What's Missing In ME3 That ME4 Could Fix

Post by Fur28 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:26 am

No Auto-Dialogue or any make my character act like somebody he isn´t, not everything he says to the crew I would have said and he wouldn´t bliny obey to everything Starbinger said. C´mon it´s supposed to be an RPG

Fur28
Commando

Back to top Go down

Post by southbeatz on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:41 am

Yea.. In ME3 I did feel they took a lot of our control and input out of conversations for auto-dialogue which sucked, especially the dialogue that doesn't take place in a traditional Mass Effect conversation wheel. I remember the conversation you can get Liara to have with her father which had some amusing parts but it was lame having to run away and back to listen in. ME3 is full of those types of conversations which felt like, at times, a waste of good drive space and voice acting or game content.
southbeatz
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:30 am

If ME4 reduces the (overt*) RPG features of conversations even more, I'll hate that and I might hate the game.

*I say this because if IT is true, it gave us an example of roleplaying in its more pure form. Amazing.

Back to top Go down

Post by southbeatz on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:18 pm

I really do hope Bioware proves to us that they still can be Bioware even with EA as their boss. I've always seen Bioware as a company that made games with stories that I knew would interest and hook me, often with compelling characters as well. ME3 I felt was butchered and gutted from some aspects I liked, such as exploration and side questing but the story telling was on par until the decision chamber lol.
southbeatz
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:25 pm

-Don't mind autodialogue in general, 1 went too far with giving options every line. However, there was too much in 3 and it needs the middle option.
-Make the enkidlerdamned journal update again.
-Give it as much dev time as is needed. Stop with the massive cuts just to make money a little quicker.
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by southbeatz on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:45 pm

I can totally understand the making money part since that is what businesses are created to do but they should also realize that by delivering a better product can make more money in the long term. I think sometimes they want to make the bigger profits short term and ignore the long term. Maybe it's EA that thinks people would buy ME3, get bored, buy another game that will profit EA and let the cycle continue.

This concept is nasty but I've seen it in MMOs largely. Most MMOs I've played start off really good but near end game really suck or get boring and far too repetitive to obtain end game items. I've seen it a lot that people will often quit a MMO before even getting to end game or by time they get there they're wanting to just get rid of the game. I've always felt in a MMO that for every 1 person that quits the game, 10 new suckers will download and install it and spend some money before most of them quits.

Mass Effect lately could almost be compared to that. ME1 and ME2 were superb and then ME3 falls flat of most expectations. Does Bioware care? I think they might but they're not the boss anymore. Does EA care? I highly doubt EA gives a shit after everyone bought the game and maybe some of the DLCs.

I could live with how the dialogue was done in ME3, even though I don't like it. I really wish they would have added more exploration and side quests to ME3. Someone a while back said that it wouldn't fit the theme since the Reapers are invading everywhere but it would fit the theme perfectly I think. These side quests and exploration could be used to obtain more war assets or more information on Leviathan, Reapers, Cerberus or whatever else.

Those quests where you listen in on conversations to get a journal entry then you fly around scanning planets to just grab the items for quests that way is just poorly done. We should have had to land and fight our way to obtain the items for the quests to bring back to the Citadel. That could have probably added 15 or so side quests to the game just so it would feel more like what ME1 and ME2 felt like but instead the bulk of ME3 is imo more like a rushed experience.

We get the N7 missions or missions with ME2 squad mates and most have to be done within I believe it was 3 completed missions or they will go away. That is not bad but it adds to the rushed feeling. People talk about Omega DLC in a bad way usually but aside from the price, it may not serve as a proper DLC to some but it does feel like a good side quest. Too often the feeling in ME3 is rush rush rush when Shepard is supposed to be calculated and calm and putting together forces, uniting species, brokering peace, etc.

All of this goes back to a complaint I've had for the longest time. The Protheans supposedly fought for over 200 years only to lose to the Reapers. In ME3 it's been approximately 6 months in game time from the Reaper attack on Earth until Shepard chats with the Reaper Kid. There was no need to have a rushed theme or lack of side quest or exploration type content. It's not even believable in Sci-Fi standards that the Reapers can be beaten in 6 months by.. it's lame so I'd like to use a lame term I seen before.. Space Magic lol.

I personally think Bioware tried to cram too much into 1 game to offer a supposed ending to the trilogy when they should have just planned to continue it into ME4 so they could properly expand on the story and events during the Reaper war. Maybe this could be why the endings sucked to so many people and why so many have such bad things to say about Bioware.
southbeatz
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Baranus33 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:52 am

Plus the Protheans were caught off guard and still raised hell. Before even playing ME3 i really didn't expect to defeat ALL the reapers just maybe the ones around Earth and of course Harbinger. That way the game ends with some hope and its more of a "won the battle now win the war" kind of thing. It could be argued that the Protheans didn't have the Crucible and that is why it was so short but it is still "space magic" because it happened so easily.

it's like the Rules of Storytelling from Pixar Rule 18 applies the most. "Coincidences to get characters into trouble are great; coincidences to get them out of it are cheating." Without IT the ending is a joke because Starkid makes it seem like it is a button push away from total victory.

If ME4 is anything it should be co-current with ME3 from a different perspective but the ending for ME4 being that the crucible didnt fire at all. OR just scrap the whole "save earth" crap. I didn't have anytime in ME3 to become attached to earth and only one of my Shepards was earthborn.
Baranus33
Pod Crab

Back to top Go down

Post by southbeatz on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:12 am

They really should have had some sort of fight with Harbinger instead of the beam run they used him for. The way the story unfolds in ME3 just feels so rushed that it hurts the endings. If we had done a lot more to build up to the ABC choices then maybe people wouldn't have had such issues with it. The ABC choices are still a joke way to end a series like Mass Effect though I think. After millions of years of fighting, then after ME1,2,3 and it all comes down to a calm chat with a Reaper and the Reaper allows Shepard choices, 1 of which could destroy the Reapers... After millions of years the Reapers would never allow such a thing and if it did actually happen then the Reaper Kid most definitely would have summoned a Reaper to swoop in to deal with Shepard.

Regardless of the story, regardless of the outcome, even synthetics have the core value of self preservation and if Reaper Kid just wants to stand there and offer Shepard a choice to destroy the Reapers well that just goes against all logic lol. If Bioware doesn't have some major swerve planned, IT or something then this could be one of the worst writing blunders I've seen in a long time. Even if they were rushed, the ending is supposed to be where the most effort is put. If the game was sub par until the ending but the ending was superb then it would make up for things.

Most of ME3 felt like a good game but then the ending still feels like a slap to the face even after nearly a year. Some think ME2 was big on character story but lacked main story but I think ME2 was perfect, far as the series goes. Each loyalty mission had something big to it, things that would be emotional to different people I'd think. That's 12 loyalty missions with choices and in depth writing. I felt ME2 told several stories but it also was nice to take a step away from the constant Reaper, Collector, Geth routine.
southbeatz
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Lombus on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:22 pm

RavenEyry wrote:-Don't mind autodialogue in general, 1 went too far with giving options every line. However, there was too much in 3 and it needs the middle option.
-Make the enkidlerdamned journal update again.
-Give it as much dev time as is needed. Stop with the massive cuts just to make money a little quicker.
That's pretty much was ME3 is lacking, putting the endings aside ofc.

"In our darkest moments, when life flashes before us, we find something. Something that keeps us going. Something that pushes us. When all seemed lost, I found a truth. And I knew what I must become. "
cat Hell Cat  cat
Lombus
Adjutant

Back to top Go down

Post by magnetite on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:16 am

I really do hope Bioware proves to us that they still can be Bioware even with EA as their boss.

EA doesn't tell Bioware what to do. EA may own Bioware, but they still have a lot of freedom in what to do with their games.

As for certain things getting cut and such, that's just simple business decisions. Every game costs millions of dollars to make. Mass Effect 3 has twice the amount of content as Mass Effect 2 had, so it probably cost them twice as much to make.

With the budget, some things had to be cut in order to keep everything above the "red line" (negative balance, over budget).

It would be nice to include all that extra content and have the game in development for another year to make everything perfect, but again, the game's budget would basically double.
magnetite
Brute

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:39 pm

ME3 has twice the amount of content ME2 had? Wondering

You sure about that?

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by magnetite on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:42 pm

Maybe not actual levels, but other things
magnetite
Brute

Back to top Go down

Post by leafs43 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:48 pm

Co-op multiplayer required to beat single player!

(not srs)(we all know EA wants this tho)

leafs43
Pod Crab

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top