The Citadel is an indocrination tool

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Citadel is an indocrination tool

Post by JamesStone on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Ok, so I might be overreacting a little when I say "indocrination tool". What the Citadel does is not permanent, and I would rather call it "aura of stupidity", but that's beyond the point. What matters is, a great deal of plot points in Mass Effect can be explained by this.

If you take an elevator in Mass Effect 1, after the talks are over, you can hear an almost feint whisper. If you dig deep enough, go in the elevator enough times and hear it well, you can recognize what they say. Yes, because there are many whispers:

"Trust the Keepers"
"To be saved//you'll be saved"
"Not to be feared"

And many others I haven't been able to see better. I might dig in the game files to discover exactly what they say, but, again, this is beyond the point.
Think about the implications. Now we know why the Council refused to actually aknowledge the Reapers in Mass Effect 2, why Udina seems so eager to jump at the Cerberus wagon in Mass Effect 3, even why the Council doesn't do the sensible thing and put Saren in domiciliary arrest until everything can be sorted out. Although not as strong as actual indocrination (what use would it be indocrinated agents when the Reapers are not around, and that will be killed anyway when the surprise attack starts?), the Citadel contaminates the minds of those who inhabit it, to unconsciously take actions that benefit the Reapers (denying investigation of someone in very suspicious circunstances, for example), so that when they arrive, the species will be caught by complete surprise.

This also fits nicely with IT. Shepard is deeper in the Citadel than everyone has ever been. It seems very obvious that he is taking the "aura of stupidity" at it's full effect, even more considering he is very weak. and had contact with alot of Indocrination Devices. All of this makes it easier for Harbinger to manipulate Shepard's now feeble mind with an image representing everything he resents, everything he pities, the representation of what he couldn't save, the kid.

Sorry for the wall of text, but what do you think? Be kind, it's my first post here :)
JamesStone
Pyjak

Back to top Go down

Re: The Citadel is an indocrination tool

Post by Eryri on Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:49 pm

That's a great find. It's amazing that people are still coming up with things like this after all this time. Any chance of you being able to point to a YouTube video where those whispers are prominent?
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:12 pm

I've thought this for a long time, but the subliminals are new thanks. I like the phrase 'aura of stupidity', I've had difficulty describing it.
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by HairyBastard on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:30 pm

The real question is if you have video or audio evidence to support your claims. Or if it's more like the "serve/save us" hearing voices in the static kind of noise... :P I'm not calling you a liar but "pics or it didn't happen". <3

HairyBastard
Drone

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian on Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:38 pm

how the hell can you send piccys of sound?

Back to top Go down

Post by Humakt on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:05 pm

Aura of serenity.

Nightmare

http://www.celestialheavens.com/thundermaps/

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryri on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Aura of complacency perhaps? Or aura of apathy?
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by ElSuperGecko on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:12 pm

Hinted at a lot of times in ME3. "It's quiet - calm, and peaceful. But it's not right". Also explains the Council's unwillingness to act. And the fact that no-one digs into the inner workings of the Citadel, leaving it instead to the Reapers.

But of course, the Citadel IS Reaper tech, and a Reaper trap. It wouldn't come as a huge surprise for Bioware to reveal that subliminal effects were present on the Citadel.

Back to top Go down

Post by GethJuggernautMKII on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:12 pm

It makes sense, if this evidence is real. The Citadel is a trap meant to compel organics to make it the center of galactic civilization. Leaders of all species will be too complacent and unwilling to investigate evidence of the Reapers' existence even if its right in front of them.

I thought it was very odd how quickly the council scrambled to get the word out that Sovereign was simply an advanced ship of geth design. Perhaps there's more to it than just keeping the public unaware for sanity's sake. The entire galaxy putting serious effort into investigating Reapers would make the Reapers' 50k year hibernation more difficult.

PS3 ID: HJL14J ~~~~~~~ The ending is simply a pop quiz to see if you, the player, payed attention to the themes and messages present within the trilogy.
GethJuggernautMKII
Varren

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesStone on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:48 pm

Ok, I've been at the files, but I haven't been able to find out much. As I suspected, there are secondary sound archives in the ME1 Elevator scenes, but no luck cracking them. Also, I haven't found any videos, but I see that more people also heard it. Here, a link:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect/Mass-Effect-1-Official-Campaign-Quests-and-Storylines-Spoilers-Warning/Whispering-in-the-elevator-8886683-1.html
JamesStone
Pyjak

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:31 am

The Citadel as an Indoctrination tool has been an idea floated about since people finished ME1.

I like it.

It just doesn't even have strong evidence for it. I think it is VERY possible, but it could be one of those things that the writers leave hanging until they want to confirm it or not.

Personally, I think they will confirm it, and will show the Citadel as not just a trap for the Cycle, but a real house of horrors in its own way.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andromidius on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:40 am

There not being any solid evidence is to be expected - its the greatest and best honed trap of the Reapers. The fact there's any evidence at all is suprising.

Funny how people in that thread pretty much dismissed it as 'futuristic lift hydrolics' though.
Andromidius
Admin

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryri on Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:55 pm

Just posted this in the main thread.

The cool but slightly tinfoil-hatted theory that Sovereign uploaded his mind to the citadel could tie in to this. It was exceptionally stupid of the council to ignore the Reaper threat during ME2, even after nearly being murdered by an actual Reaper. Perhaps the presence of Sovereign's mind has increased the strength of the Citadel's "stupefaction field"?
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSuperAwesome_383 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:05 am

JamesStone wrote:Ok, I've been at the files, but I haven't been able to find out much. As I suspected, there are secondary sound archives in the ME1 Elevator scenes, but no luck cracking them. Also, I haven't found any videos, but I see that more people also heard it. Here, a link:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mass-Effect/Mass-Effect-1-Official-Campaign-Quests-and-Storylines-Spoilers-Warning/Whispering-in-the-elevator-8886683-1.html
I don't have ME1 files on my current PC, but as anyone from the BSN threads of old will tell you cracking/audio analysis is kind of my thing ;)
PM me those files and I'll take a look :)

TheSuperAwesome_383
Mercenary

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:44 am

TheSuperAwesome_383 wrote:
JamesStone wrote:Ok, I've been at the files, but I haven't been able to find out much. As I suspected, there are secondary sound archives in the ME1 Elevator scenes, but no luck cracking them. Also, I haven't found any videos, but I see that more people also heard it. Here, a link:

I don't have ME1 files on my current PC, but as anyone from the BSN threads of old will tell you cracking/audio analysis is kind of my thing ;)

bounce bounce bounce

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by pasza89 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:24 am

I've extracted ME1 files and searched for elevator music... came up with this, extracted from music_bank.isb, file name: mus_sta_elevator07.ogg. Here's soundcloud link to it:

"To be saved"

Here's 7z archive with the file and all other elevator muzaks:
http://speedy.sh/YHMzG/me1elevatormusic.7z

Edit: here's a youtube link if someone prefers to listen to it there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpNpxy33jjw
pasza89
Pod Crab

Back to top Go down

Post by TheSuperAwesome_383 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:59 am

pasza89 wrote:

I've extracted ME1 files and searched for elevator music... came up with this, extracted from music_bank.isb, file name: mus_sta_elevator07.ogg. Here's soundcloud link to it:

"To be saved"

Here's 7z archive with the file and all other elevator muzaks:
http://speedy.sh/YHMzG/me1elevatormusic.7z

Edit: here's a youtube link if someone prefers to listen to it there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpNpxy33jjw

Cool, I can see that then as a possibility - interesting that 5/6 are just the same tune but without/with the whispers.
But still, unless there are more elevator music files I don't see where the other lines OP quotes are coming from...

TheSuperAwesome_383
Mercenary

Back to top Go down

Post by ZerebusPrime on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:13 am

Honestly, that sounds like distorted song lyrics to me. You can hear similar distorted lyrics from Shepard's cabin's music box.
ZerebusPrime
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:04 am

Eryri wrote:Just posted this in the main thread.

The cool but slightly tinfoil-hatted theory that Sovereign uploaded his mind to the citadel could tie in to this. It was exceptionally stupid of the council to ignore the Reaper threat during ME2, even after nearly being murdered by an actual Reaper. Perhaps the presence of Sovereign's mind has increased the strength of the Citadel's "stupefaction field"?

yay!! the very heart of galactic society thinks it's beaten the reaper threat, when in fact they are at the very heart of the reaper itself. if this is correct then i think we need to look at what exactly saren thought sovereign was going to achieve by going to the citadel. The citadel being a mass relay always seemed to me to be a bit far fetched to be honest. there is a relay on the citadel tho. surely even saren would have know that sovereign on its own would have not stood a chance against all the fleets. So was the real purpose of sovereign going to the citadel to upload himself into the heart of the mass relay network and begin the indoctrination process galaxy wide? The first to be indoctrinated being the very heads of the council?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top