Overlay theory

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Overlay theory

Post by pasza89 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:43 am

No idea if this has been posted here yet, but I've found an interesting topic on Clevernoob.

http://www.clevernoob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2649-explaination-of-the-endings-idea-that-wasnt-new/

I have no words. Well played Bioware, all of this. Just reveal it, goddammit.
pasza89
Pod Crab

Back to top Go down

Re: Overlay theory

Post by Andromidius on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:52 am

This is basically Waking Nightmare Theory, which itself is very similar to Indoctrination Theory.

Its still probably on the right tracks. To what degree, its hard to tell.
Andromidius
Admin

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:22 am

This is as old as IT itself.

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:37 am

Yeah this isn't new. It's what people were looking deeply into as early as March-April, I believe.

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedingUranium on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:22 am

As they said, this is an old idea, however thanks for bringing it up again, seeing things again is always interesting Smile
BleedingUranium
Thresher Maw

Back to top Go down

Post by Andromidius on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:48 am

Indeed. After all we know now, looking back at those photos is rather refreshing. And makes IT seem even more glaringly obvious.
Andromidius
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pasza89 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:58 am

DoomsdayDevice wrote:This is as old as IT itself.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3f0d7KS6MrM/T4hcDOd8BXI/AAAAAAAABZM/AJAy4et6eZc/s640/dreamreal.jpg

I've seen this pics a lot of times before, but never actually heard the idea that you are hallucinating these things, shooting Mako in destroy etc. I always thought it's just a dream and you are lying on the ground.
pasza89
Pod Crab

Back to top Go down

Post by MaximizedAction on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:08 pm

Andromidius wrote:Indeed. After all we know now, looking back at those photos is rather refreshing. And makes IT seem even more glaringly obvious.

+1

Whenever in doubt, try to think back again about what it was about the endings that made you confused, and what it was that convinced you of the IT; including those pictures.

Also, the Precarnifedator.

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:17 pm

either way it makes everything that happened after shep gets knocked out on his way to the beam a lie.

Back to top Go down

Post by WeAreHarbinger on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Interesting, i've been following IT since Mark I and never thought of Destroy as shooting the Mako.
Would help with "What explodes?" as i always though even shooting Harby with a normal gun wouldn't create anything but a few sparks. Laughing

Blood Pack Boom-Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:06 pm

WeAreHarbinger wrote:Interesting, i've been following IT since Mark I and never thought of Destroy as shooting the Mako.
Would help with "What explodes?" as i always though even shooting Harby with a normal gun wouldn't create anything but a few sparks. Laughing
actually makes sense. Tubes shouldnt explode for no reason apart froma gunshot. but how does that explain control?

Back to top Go down

Post by WeAreHarbinger on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:13 pm

dork wrote:
WeAreHarbinger wrote:Interesting, i've been following IT since Mark I and never thought of Destroy as shooting the Mako.
actually makes sense. Tubes shouldnt explode for no reason apart froma gunshot. but how does that explain control?

Well there is a Mako on the left, could be screwing about with the electronics and Shep is fried? that's about the best i can come with. Laughing

Can't think up a one for Synthesis though. The beam goes upto a reaper in waiting for a main consciousness?

Blood Pack Boom-Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:17 pm

WeAreHarbinger wrote:
dork wrote:

Well there is a Mako on the left, could be screwing about with the electronics and Shep is fried? that's about the best i can come with. Laughing

Can't think up a one for Synthesis though. The beam goes upto a reaper in waiting for a main consciousness?

the only person to actually survive that far = best of that species = winner of brain mushed into pulp and personality absorbed? Yay team Humanity.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:38 pm

pasza89 wrote:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3f0d7KS6MrM/T4hcDOd8BXI/AAAAAAAABZM/AJAy4et6eZc/s640/dreamreal.jpg

I've seen this pics a lot of times before, but never actually heard the idea that you are hallucinating these things, shooting Mako in destroy etc. I always thought it's just a dream and you are lying on the ground.

One theory is that Shep is walking around hallucinating (waking nightmare theory), another is that at first you are unconscious, dreaming, and when the Ah, yes... catalyst Ah, yes... tells you to wake up, you wake up in front of the beam in London, but your perception is being influenced, so you're seeing it as the decision chamber, hence the similarities.

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by ElSuperGecko on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:46 pm

dork wrote:
actually makes sense. Tubes shouldnt explode for no reason apart froma gunshot.

Yep, makes much more sense when the tube you're shooting happens to be a Mako's main fuel line/tank...

dork wrote:the only person to actually survive that far = best of that species = winner of brain mushed into pulp and personality absorbed? Yay team Humanity.

STRUGGLE IF YOU WISH, YOUR MIND WILL BE OURS...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:27 am

pasza89 wrote:

I think these are the basic ideas:

Indoctrination Theory - Indoctrination is affecting you in the ending sections
Hallucination Theory (not full theory, but strongly related to IT) - You're in a dream, but it is composed of memories, fears, hopes
Waking Nightmare (supportive of IT) - You're still doing things, but perception is very altered
Deception Theory (sees itself separate and unrelated to IT) - Everything is happening, but the Catalyst is lying/manipulating you

There are also other things, like:

Husk Theory - Shepard is part husk (at least in a sense) and can be hacked, or altered to increase the robotic portion
Harvest Theory (partially mine, lol) - Everything is a manipulation in order to complete the Harvest aka acquire Shepard for new Reaper and more

'IT' in itself, is just "Shepard is being affected by indoctrination, and not everything is as it seems". This is why people have competing or similar but not quite exact ideas on other aspects of the story.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andromidius on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:42 am

IT is quite loose in its statements, its why it shares so much in common with other theories. Pretty much the only thing we all agree on is 'Shepard is being influenced by Reapers'.

Which alone should be enough to know what we see isn't what's really going on.
Andromidius
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top