Galactic Politics Post-War

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Galactic Politics Post-War

Post by Restrider on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:23 pm

I checked the forums for this topic, but since I did not find anything related I decided to open this thread.
This is all a subjective speculation based on ingame-information. If I misunderstood something or got something wrong, please mention it, since I am only human and everyone can make mistakes.

Since we all played the game and chose one of four (maybe even five, if you choose to die in London) possible endings, I wondered how the galactic situation would be after the endings regarding political, economic and military strength. Throughout the series, we have learned which factions are having the biggest prowess in these fields
The Asari Republics being the most powerful in terms of politics/diplomacy and economy, the Salarian Union in terms of research and intelligence/recon, the Turian Hierarchy in terms of military strength, the Earth Systems Alliance in terms of growth in most of these fields, the Volus Clans in terms of finance and economy, to name a few examples.

The question is, how is the situation after the ending?
I would like to show the general state of the galaxy ignoring the specific endings (of course refuse has to be ignored, since the war goes on in favor of the reapers).

Asari Republics:
Since they lost colonies and their homeworld Thessia has been attacked by the reapers, I guess the Asari Republics will lose there edge, especially since their source of supremacy has been revealed (e.g. hidden Prothean beacon) to the other species.

Salarian Union:
If I recall correct, they lost fewer colonies and I am not sure if the reapers even hit their homeworld Sur'Kesh. If this is true, then the Salarian Union would be able to increase their influence in all fields.

Turian Hierarchy:
A lot of colonies were attacked and their homeworld Palaven has been one of the biggest battlefields of the invasion. On the other hand, being a juggernaut in terms of military they were able to reduce the damage a lesser armed faction would have suffered under these harsh conditions. Of course their influence decreases, especially since their client races also suffered under the invasion, but they would still be a force that cannot be ignored.

Batarian Hegemony:
Defunct. Nothing else to say about that.

Earth Systems Allaince:
The human colonies were also hit hard, but the losses on Earth and the loss of Arcturus Station plus the losses in terms of ships and vessels are even worse. Earth has suffered more than Thessia and maybe even more than Palaven. But there is one thing that highly favorizes the Earth Systems Alliance compared to the other races. It is nothing metaphysical saying that Shepard was human, if you chose control, nor is it something related to the fact that humans evolve/rebuild faster than the others (though this might be true as well). It is the simple fact that the centre of Citadel Space now is in the Sol System orbiting Earth itself. Though heavily damaged in some endings, it is still shown to be rebuilt and that will increase the significance of the Earth Systems Allaince a lot. All in all I would say the Earth Systems Allaince would have a net increase in influence.

Quarian (and possibly Geth):
Though only 17 Mio. returning to Rannoch combined with their technical expertise and their large armada (which likely lost a lot during the war with the Geth and at the last attack on the Citadel) and possibly with their new allaince with the Geth, in the long term they will have a more important role in galactic policy, economy and military. For sure they will get associate membership in the Citadel, and maybe even full membership, if they want to get involved and do not choose some kind of "splendid isolation".

Krogan Clans:
The fate of the Krogan Clans highly depends on three different points. First, is Wrex alive? Secondly, is Baraka alive? Thridly, has the genophage been cured? If all these questions can be answered with a "Yes", I would suggest that the Krogan Clans are going to have a golden age and are most likely getting a seat in the council. If one or more of these points are not true, then I would see conflict arise (similar to the Krogan Rebellions) and if none of the points is true, well, then good bye.

Conclusion:
To sum up, I think it is safe to say that the reaper invasion reduces the gap in terms of power of the three Citadel races compared to the other races (especially the Asari Republics and to some degree the Turian Hierarchy). The Salarian Union is some kind of wild card since I am not sure if their homeworld was invaded, too. The Earth Systems Alliance lost a lot, but gained the Citadel at the same time, as well as someone growing faster than others is more likely to increase their importance, if everyone starts at a same level of destruction. And there are the newcomers or better said, those that made a comeback, such as the Quarians/Geth and the Krogan Clans.

So, these are my thoughts on the post-ending galactic situation. Note that this would also be kind of accurate, if the endings turn out to be an indoctrination attempt, since the facts I based my speculations on are mostly pre-ending. Please post your ideas/speculations/comments in this thread, and please, keep it civil.

PS: I am well aware that the term "geopolitical" should not be used when talking about the galaxy, but since I thought it still explains what I am trying to say, I put it on the topic.
Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Re: Galactic Politics Post-War

Post by Raistlin Majere on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:06 am

You forget that the Salarians are internally split with the Military and STG not liking the way the dalatress handled things so I imagine some changes is going to happen at them. Also I cannot imagine the other races will be very happy with how the Salarians dragged their feet about actively helping in the war, doubly so if you choose to cure the genophage.

Also considering the beating the Turians took (to the point where they have to seize all offensive operations to have the ships for the attack on Earth) their military is more than a little down.

Finally you also have to factor in the Rachni who while in a worse position starting out is known to be species capable of repopulating insanely quick.

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:14 am

Short prediction. This also assumes that some form of IT is true, and the 'winning scenarios' of Extended Cut are simply dreams. As such, we'll still need to at least land a massive blow to the Reapers in order to move on.

Overall State - United, but internally fractured. (as opposed to diverse, but internally united thanks to how the Citadel management worked) The species might have grudges that could matter in the story, but they'll all remember that everyone fought together against the Reapers, so plenty of chances for multi-species co-op or more ;). The bigger issue will be fractures within each society, and possibly how outside forces could manipulate that into a larger plan.

The galaxy is now off its training wheels. What do we DO with freedom? Do we deserve it? Can we resist domination of others, in the organic chaos of the Mass Effect universe?

Asari Republics - Shamed, most likely. They won't rule the roost through implicit political will anymore. A lot of soul searching, and internal bickering.

Salarian Union - Civil war. Outright. I think the seeds are hinted at. Would be hilarious if they turn to clan warfare, given their relationship with the Krogan.

Turian Hierarchy - Staggered and forced to work with others in rebuilding. Their society will be softened and changed by this, to a degree. Anything else is unknown.

Batarian Hegemony - I think the game has hinted that the future of the Hegemony is that... there will be no Hegemony. The Batarians are in for a revolution of ideas and political power, imo. They'll need time to rebuild though. A lot of time.

Earth Systems Alliance - Major player in galaxy. Not exactly Star Trek's Federation, but approaching it. They'll rebuild Earth, sure, but it can't be a center of power any more. Humanity will spread out even further than before, and influence almost all alien cultures, economies, and governments.

Quarian/Geth - I think they may all have the same place, regardless of outcome. Whether there are only Geth or only Quarians, they may placeholder each other at times and still have the same overall story, but with different tones. In any case, the surviving factions will rise to importance, because they will have fought for Earth.

Krogan Clans - Like the Wrex situation in itself, the Krogan will either become incredibly important to the galaxy story, or just an added feature. The outcome of genophage decisions will probably be shown, but not in a widely story-changing way. If they're cured though, their growing influence and hopefully (with Wrex and Bakara) hints of a Golden Age, may have an impact on galactic relations. I think they'll survive regardless, as long as a future game won't be 500+ years in the future or whatever.

Rachni - Whether alive or dead/dying out, I don't think they'll play a major role in the galaxy in the future, unless the writers have the narrative make it so. I think a 'good' rachni will end up (at least so far), minding their own business in the reaches the galaxy, possibly with various ambassadors to make sure that there is still communication.

Volus/Elcor - Still token joke species. They'll be recovering, and be funny while doing so, unless Bioware surprises us.

Hanar/Drell - Same with Hanar, and I still think the Drell are more of a 'variety' species than anything important to narrative. We'll see.

Other - Yahg may play a role, considering they were NOT totally ignored in ME3. Virtual aliens might be introduced in the plot for the first time. New species might be discovered. Leviathan role is utterly unknown. Reaper role is utterly unknown.

I think the main idea is that the 'Powers that Be' (Council) will be challenged by all the outliers. The Council races (especially the Asari) were probably the most likely for the Reapers to manipulate and Ascend, before the Alliance and Shepard came along, but now this managed galactic situation has been upended.

In a way, this reminds me of the current geopolitical and economic situation facing the Earth. North America and Europe is gradually having to adjust to the changing reality of a Middle East and Asia that will very much have its own say in things, instead of as colonial arms of other empires.

I think our choices might determine whether the galaxy is full of this strife, or less conflicting in the longer run.

Example - Quarian and Geth peace might be great for defeating the Reapers, but it could have disastrous results later on. Don't worry! This can probably be fixed, like most Bioware story situations :P It's still probably going to be better (at least metagaming-wise) than condemning either side to extinction.

(broad generalization incoming)
Asari - Falling
Turians - Falling
Salarians - Falling
Humans - Rising and Falling (lost Earth and military but growing and developing everywhere)
Krogan - Rising or Falling
Quarians - Rising or Dead
Rachni - Rising or Dead
Geth - Rising or Dead (though I don't think they'll ever 'die' in Mass Effect)
Batarians - Rising (not currently relevant though)
Elcor - Neutral or Falling
Volus - Neutral or Falling
Hanar - Neutral or Falling
Drell - Neutral or Falling
Yahg - ?
Leviathan - ?
Reapers - ?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:30 am

To be quite honest, the Quarian/Geth, Krogan, Rahcni is why I kinda hope Bioware if they move beyond the Reaper war will reset things with a "canon" list of events.

I know many would not be happy with this, but with the branching story in this I feel a reset button needs to be hit at some point, at least if we want some things like the above species to stay relevant.

For every species which might have been wiped out it is one less which can easily be incoperated as a major part of a future game as they may simply not have been there.

In short I feel that if the Rachni, Krogan, Geth / Quarians are to remain relevant in Mass Effect Bioware will need to establish a canon of events at some point.

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:40 am

Mass Effect always has 'canon' - it just never has a dedicated canon.

1)'New Player' canon (no imports)
2)'Full experience' canon (as many beings alive and involved as possible)
3)'Maximum death' canon (as many beings dead as possible without Shepard dying)

For the Rannoch situation:
1)Geth fleet survives, with upgrades, and Quarian fleet dies
2)Quarian fleet survives, and Geth fleet dies
3)Quarian and Geth fleet survives, with upgrades

I think all three are possible. You can have a location, especially considering we're heading into a new generation and hardware capacity, to have the same place with different NPCs, structures, and variations to an overall story. For a 'ME4':

1)You're only talking to Geth, and they have much more Geth-like structures
2)You're only talking to Quarians, and they have a much more organic community structure
3)You're talking to both (with half of the NPCs shared with the previous 2 scenarios), and they have a hybrid of both structures.

I think this is VERY possible with the next console cycle.

The only huge choices that will even make a difference imo are:

1)Geth/Quarian survival
2)Krogan situation

EVERYTHING else can be either partially reset, get handwaved, or get superficial differences on import. ("Oh the Salarian Council member was saved in ME1 and ME3? ...so? We don't even have a Council any more." kind of stuff)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:41 am

So I guess I don't agree with there being a 'canon', but rather a manipulation of narrative to MAKE it so there is a 'lore reset' of sorts.

Kinda like how the Council/Anderson decision of ME1 doesn't really matter much at all, but much less hamfisted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andromidius on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:58 am

A 'canon reset' may be the only way to continue the series without invalidating the rest of the games. Or setting it far enough into the future that many choices 'smooth out'.

But as I see it, the following things are likely to happen:

1/ The Salarians will have a civil war. Whether or not the Krogan were assisted or not depends whether or not this is a quick and relatively bloodless campaign or a drawn out conflict.

2/ The Krogan will either start to cause population issues again if they are cured, or go on a bloody rampage if they weren't.

3/ The Asari will lose much of their political influence after Thessia is ravaged and the galaxy is aware they were hiding Prothean technology - one of the worst crimes in Citadel controlled space. There will also be some degree of resentment that they didn't help their neighbours until right at the end of the war.

4/ The Turians will be hammered, but come out of it stronger. I imagine much of the lost political status the Asari lost the Turians will gain for their efforts throughout the entire war. I imagine they will 'absorb' the smaller Volus government into their own, and use much of the Volus' resources in rebuilding their fleets (we know already the Volus are capable of building ships).

5/ The Elchor may suffer greatly, and be reduced to refugees with the loss of their only major world.

6/ The Drell and Hanar likely wouldn't change much, unless you failed to stop the indoctrinated Ambassador from deactivating the planetary defenses and having their homeworld destroyed.

7/ The Batarians as a galactic force will be finished, but the scattered survivors may seek refuge within other societies. Ironically I feel they'll likely join the Systems Alliance, due to proximity and the fact the highest ranking politician had a change of heart about the Humans (as noted in the Codex).

8/ The Yahg will achieve spaceflight and join the Galactic community. However, I imagine they'll make the Batarians and Krogan expansions seem friendly in comparison, and all-out war is very likely.

9/ The Quarians and Geth will likely begin to isolate themselves again as they rebuild, though remain friendly. Whether or not the Geth are altered by long-term use of the Reaper Code is unknown. Whether or not the Quarians decide to try and recreate or recapture the Geth is unknown.

10/ Humans will likely rise up politically alongside the Turians, and expand their fleets to rival them in power as well. Whether or not Cerberus survives somehow is unknown.
Andromidius
Admin

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:10 am

SwobyJ wrote:So I guess I don't agree with there being a 'canon', but rather a manipulation of narrative to MAKE it so there is a 'lore reset' of sorts.

Kinda like how the Council/Anderson decision of ME1 doesn't really matter much at all, but much less hamfisted.

Considering part of the potential lore is the near complete annihilation of 2 species and one other moving towards the abyss you would need some serious lore manipulation for them to be anything but stone dead (which would be a waste of the species)

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:49 am

Raistlin Majere wrote:
SwobyJ wrote:So I guess I don't agree with there being a 'canon', but rather a manipulation of narrative to MAKE it so there is a 'lore reset' of sorts.

Considering part of the potential lore is the near complete annihilation of 2 species and one other moving towards the abyss you would need some serious lore manipulation for them to be anything but stone dead (which would be a waste of the species)

Meh..

Seriously.

Because the Quarians and Geth can be written as outlyers in a story. We may or may not see them in the future. It's not like they're the main species of the story.

If we had a choice to kill all humans, sure. But Quarians? I don't actually see how it would be automatically super-duper-hard to remove them from a story if they've all died.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:05 am

SwobyJ wrote:
Raistlin Majere wrote:

Meh..

Seriously.

Because the Quarians and Geth can be written as outlyers in a story. We may or may not see them in the future. It's not like they're the main species of the story.

If we had a choice to kill all humans, sure. But Quarians? I don't actually see how it would be automatically super-duper-hard to remove them from a story if they've all died.

Quarians and Geth are only one affected part.

Krogan would not be useable for any kind of large scale conflict if the Genophage is not cured as the war has has only reduced their numbers even further. They might as well be dead as they certianly wont be able to have any kind of influence on anything.

And then there is the Rachni.

That is 4 whole species who you can not use for anything racially important in your future story because they might be dead. That is a waste of a created species.

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Restrider on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:38 pm

I do not think that the Rachni will ever be featured heavily at all.
We know that they tend to colonize toxic planets, so there is no real conflict potential, if they are not manipulated by Reapers and/or Leviathans (or others).

Basically that could narrow down to a few comments of NPCs (like that one Asari on Illium for instance).

The Krogan, as Andro put it, might be either having issues due to over-population (-> conflict) or they are on a suicidal rampage to take revenge on being deceived (-> conflict). How that conflict ends would then depend on whether Wrex or Wreav are in charge and if Bakara is still alive.
Think about it as an extension of the Genophage Arc.

To do a similar thing with the Geth/Quarians is more tricky. But I guess this is still managable.

Now, the huge problems come with literal endings. Given the main topic of this forum, I guess there is a decent way to circumvent that problems... Conrad
Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Rankincountry on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:37 pm

I wonder what sort of state the Alliance would actually be in. It's easy to think that humans will be on the up-and-up but I'm not so sure. The civilian government at Arcturus was annihilated and those on Earth (and presumably many other human worlds) were indoctrinated or dead, and Udina, de facto the most powerful human civilian leader, threw in his lot with Cerberus and we all know his fate.

That means one possible outcome is a military government which declares martial law to restore order across Alliance worlds including Earth. Now we know that some colonies, such as Horizon, already wanted to cede from the alliance and run their own affairs. Such colonies are likely to find even transitional military rule unbearable. So in fact it is possible that the Alliance will begin to divide.

The aftermath of the war won't be pretty for many. Billions will have lost their homes and livelihoods, economies will be wrecked. War casualties will mean manpower for maintaining law and order, and rebuilding will be limited, and at a time when the races need to work together, they are likely to look inward (just as many countries are doing right now in the face of economic and environmental problems).

I'd say that it's likely all of the council races will have serious problems which will lead to the emergence of factions and polarisation of the political landscape. I think that this could be an extremely interesting setting for a story that could involve a lot of exploration of social and political issues, whilst also setting the stage for the Leviathans, masters of manipulation, to take advantage and attempt to regain their former dominance.

They want to tell you this, they want to tell you that, just hold your hat when the black wind blows

Everywhere I go I hear what's going on
And the more I hear the less I know

John Jones/Oysterband
Rankincountry
Nemesis

Location : Sunny Valley Rest Home for Burnt-Out Gamers, Karpyshyn Ward

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianprice74

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelcan on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Well this is something I've put a lot of thought into.

First and foremost humanity.
-Because of the Alliance's lead on the Crucible project and leading position in the war, Systems Alliance will likely see a huge increase in reputation.
-That said we are in deep shit. Earth is in ruins, colonies attacked, likely economic depression for a while. But once the recovery is well underway humanity will be one of the dominant forces in the galaxy.

Turians
-Roughly same as humans. They will take a massive leadership rule along with humanity.
-Since I cured the genophage I'm seeing close relations with the humans, turians, and krogan.

Krogan
-Rapid expansion in the short term. Have the council give them numerous worlds. But force population control, hopefully Wrex and Eve will be able to do this, but outside intervention may still be necessary.
-Give them a seat on the Council and have them share peace keeping with the Turians

Asari
-Large reduction in influence. Revelation of the beacon would cause stressed relations between humanity/turians and the asari. However I don't think the asari will let their power slide easily
-Limited conflict with turians and krogan.
-I'd want their Vouncil membership revoked immediately, they can earn it back, but they might slide into rogue state territory.

Salarians
-Since they were relatively undisturbed by Reapers they will probably be the strongest in the immediate aftermath of the war.
-But I think they will be quickly passed up. They may try to stop Krogan expansion, but I think they'd just shut up and step in line.

I'll post the other races later

Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:53 pm

Restrider wrote:I do not think that the Rachni will ever be featured heavily at all.
We know that they tend to colonize toxic planets, so there is no real conflict potential, if they are not manipulated by Reapers and/or Leviathans (or others).

Basically that could narrow down to a few comments of NPCs (like that one Asari on Illium for instance).

The Krogan, as Andro put it, might be either having issues due to over-population (-> conflict) or they are on a suicidal rampage to take revenge on being deceived (-> conflict). How that conflict ends would then depend on whether Wrex or Wreav are in charge and if Bakara is still alive.
Think about it as an extension of the Genophage Arc.

To do a similar thing with the Geth/Quarians is more tricky. But I guess this is still managable.

Now, the huge problems come with literal endings. Given the main topic of this forum, I guess there is a decent way to circumvent that problems... Conrad

That's my take on it. It is ALL manageable with proper writing.

Rachni don't need to play a major role.

The Geth/Quarians can be interchanged with enough technical attention.

And Krogan can either play a role, or not. Writing can work its way around either. They will likely imo play a role but a different one depending on choices. It's not like the Krogan are utterly wiped out in the immediate future.

The literal endings ARE possible too, just FAR more diverse in implications. But they can be 'easily' done with:

Synthesis = Green squigglies + Reapers
Control = No Green squigglies + Reapers
Destroy = No Green squigglies + No Reapers

But they have MUCH wider lore implications. Preposterous even.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:54 pm

Raistlin Majere wrote:

I wrote something about this on BSN. A way for all races to be alive regardless of what happened in ME1-3. Super simplified version is:

Quarians: Enough Quarians saw the folly of fighting the Geth, leading to many ships breaking off from the Migrant Fleet. The number of Quarians who left were enough to sustain a population.

Geth: The Geth had programs hidden within a secret server in the event of the Quarians or any other race threatened their existance with destruction.

Krogan: Whether Genophage is cured or not, there are still billions of Krogan and with them being the longest living of all ME races to date, they will still last for several milenium.

Rachni: A Rachni escaped the destruction of the hive and became a new queen.
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:58 pm

I just hope people remember that Mass Effect tells a story. It's not a codex in itself. All we need is story tone reflect choices.

So you met a Krogan? Cool!
-Cured genophage + Wrex/Bakara = Krogan in gratitude
-Cured genophage + Wrex = Krogan in aggression as Wrex fell
-Sabotaged genophage + Wrex = Krogan in aggression but lowered numbers as the genophage didn't work. We don't get to see Krogan armies yet regardless.

That's it. These forks in the story are quite manageable. We don't need to see everything that happens all the time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andromidius on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:24 pm

The question as to how the Alliance will look post-Reapers is interesting. I imagine the military will take control of the Systems Alliance and impose either Martial Law or a stricter authoritarian government along the lines of what the Turians currently have. The fact the two are now strong allies with the lion's share of military power may cement that change in government outlook as well.

So long as most major events remain 'in the background' (i.e. news broadcasts, codex entries) the core of a sequel can mostly be the same. As mentioned before, you met a Krogan regardless - but his attitude is different depending on choices.

Wrex + Bakara alive = Friendly and helpful
Wrex alive, Bakara dead = More solemn but helpful
Wreav alive + Genophage cured = Aggressive and cocky
Wreav alive/Wrex killed + Genophage not cured = Aggressive and bitter

News broadcasts can mention different things, using the above examples:

Wrex + Bakara alive = Krogan are petitioning for associate membership on the Citadel, skirmishes on worlds bordering Salarian space over colonisation rights
Wrex Alive, Bakara dead = Krogan denied associate membership on the Citadel, skirmishes on worlds bordering Salarian space over colonisation rights
Wreav alive + Genophage cured = Krogan demand a seat on the Council, skirmishes on worlds claimed by multiple species over colonisation rights, rumours of Krogan clans assembling for war again
Wreav alive/Wrex dead + Genophage not cured = Krogan attacks on colonies are increasing, humours of remaining Krogan clans assembling for war

Relatively minor differences, all in all, but with bigger implications behind them.
Andromidius
Admin

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelcan on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:17 pm

Hanar and Drell
-I saved Kahje so they should be doing ok. But the never really were a major power

Elcor
-Same

Volus
-Same

Batarians
-Since the batarians were rolled over by the Reapers and the hegemony destroyed I'm guessing the batarians will be a very small role. Due to their work with the Alliance they may seek closer ties in the future

Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Restrider on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:16 pm

The Batarian Hegemony may be gone, but the Terminus Systems (for instance Omega) were filled with these guys. So it can be easily explained why they are still around in a future game.

And on the matter of the Alliance being under martial law for some time:
I guess this would not be such a huge problem - at first.
If you survived such a war as a civilian (and believe me, a lot of former civilians would have joined the armed forces or tried to do that) the one and only thing you would like to have at first is some form of security and stability. Over the course of time -- doing rebuilding efforts etc. -- the martial law would then be replaced by a civil government again. Of course if they did not do that this could be indeed the cause for some unrest.
But I repeat, after surviving such a war, most people would not demonstrate and become violent if there were soldiers of your own species patrolling your street.

And what are your opinions on the Citadel orbiting Earth?
Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:21 pm

Post-war, eh? Shepard

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:35 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:Post-war, eh? Shepard

I know you think ME4 will have Shepard and the war continuing.

This thread is assuming otherwise, but going along with IT ideas at the same time. Basically, that IT is revealed in a DLC and Shepard's story really does end.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:37 pm

Restrider wrote:The Batarian Hegemony may be gone, but the Terminus Systems (for instance Omega) were filled with these guys. So it can be easily explained why they are still around in a future game.

If you survived such a war as a civilian (and believe me, a lot of former civilians would have joined the armed forces or tried to do that) the one and only thing you would like to have at first is some form of security and stability. Over the course of time -- doing rebuilding efforts etc. -- the martial law would then be replaced by a civil government again. Of course if they did not do that this could be indeed the cause for some unrest.
But I repeat, after surviving such a war, most people would not demonstrate and become violent if there were soldiers of your own species patrolling your street.

I think it is somewhere in the Codex or planet scanning in ME3 that hints strongly that the Batarians themselves (the ones in Batarian space, not pirates, government, terrorists) are on the road to a massive positive societal change... if they survive the Reapers ;)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rankincountry on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:22 pm

Restrider wrote:The Batarian Hegemony may be gone, but the Terminus Systems (for instance Omega) were filled with these guys. So it can be easily explained why they are still around in a future game.

Martial law would have to be a very short term solution, and wouldn't be acceptable to many. In Britain after WW2 there was a great desire and movement for social change and the Labour Party won a landslide victory in the 1945 election (held within weeks of the end of the war in Europe and about a month before Japan surrendered) despite widespread admiration for Churchill's strong wartime leadership. It was economically impossible to sustain the wartime armed forces and demobilisation was a massive challenge.

Whilst the Turians would likely be more accepting of a military-led solution, I think that unless civilian government was restored very rapidly the Alliance would face colonies attempting to cede and unrest at home. If the military responded harshly, with oppressive measures, the results would not be pretty.

They want to tell you this, they want to tell you that, just hold your hat when the black wind blows

John Jones/Oysterband
Rankincountry
Nemesis

Location : Sunny Valley Rest Home for Burnt-Out Gamers, Karpyshyn Ward

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianprice74

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:06 pm

SwobyJ wrote:
DoomsdayDevice wrote:Post-war, eh? Shepard

I know you think ME4 will have Shepard and the war continuing.

This thread is assuming otherwise, but going along with IT ideas at the same time. Basically, that IT is revealed in a DLC and Shepard's story really does end.

lol, I know.

In any case, the "post-war" idea doesn't really matter as the state of the galaxy would be the 'same' even if the war continued. Wink

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top