Our Day of Reckoning is at hand! (Sort of)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Our Day of Reckoning is at hand! (Sort of)

Post by NebuchadnezzaRT on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:16 pm

Hey guys! I've been trying to dig up more info on "Reckoning", though I can't datamine like TSA, I can keep an ear to the ground and a finger on the press (As you humans say). And through my channels I have seen and come to the conclusion of some pretty interesting stuff.

But, let me preface with some quick notes - Personally, I don't believe Bioware (Hudson, Walters, Watamaniuk, whoever) will release an IT Reveal. They disrupt their fanbase by polarizing the endings in this way. By leaving them as is, they manage to leave the ending open to anyone's interpretation. (What's wrong with that?)

BUT, the latest leak (thanks TSA!) has caused some internal conflict in my beliefs. This new take on multiplayer and singleplayer could shake everything we know about the story. Now I know DLC leaks and releases, ever since Leviathan, have been our end all be all for revealing IT, and while that has certainly not failed (tons of evidence in Levi and Ome), there has never been a reveal. But there has also never been DLC like Reckoning.

OK, lets bite into this thing.
"reckoning" [rek-uh-ning]
-- noun
  1. count; computation; calculation
  2. the settlement of accounts, as between two companies.
  3. a statement of an amount due
  4. an accounting, as for things done or recieved
  5. an appraisal or judgement
  6. Navig. dead reckoning
  7. Day of reckoning

(Source: dictionary.com)

Seeing those definitions I want to call attention to 2, 4, and 7.

2. the settlement of accounts, as between two companies.

You can observe this in a mundane way, or, you can see this as a settlement between Bioware and their player base. Simply compare the Social Contract (any High School student should recognize this) to Bioware and us and you would understand the situation. "A settlement of accounts" what accounts? I think many of us (ITers) feel a need for vindication on the counts of Mass Effect 3. This "reckoning" may be the answer to that.

4. an accounting, as for things done or recieved

Whether you realize it or not IT has compiled it's own reckonings, though you wouldn't normally see it as such. Our search for the truth has compiled whole pages of evidence - accounting's of cause and effect, physical evidence, programming data, evidence hidden away in the music, we have called Bioware to our Reckoning, will they do the same?

7. Day of reckoning.

Put simply I'm sure every one has their own beliefs regarding the DoR. I want to highlight Christian beliefs real quick: The Day of Reckoning, the final judgement by God (come to judge the living and the dead) would happen AFTER the Resurrection of the dead and the second coming.

Now, religious beliefs aside, let's look at that in relation to this DLC and the ending of Mass Effect:

Resurrection of the Dead: Is Shepard dead? If the rest of the world believes so, would him rising from the ashes be considered a resurrection? (Quick note: I know many of the end of days Christian beliefs coincide with Shepard being a Messianic figure but I would rather not get into that in this post!)

Second Coming:(He will come again in glory... And his kingdom will have no end) So will Shepard have arisen to some God-head? Ascension? The new conglomeration of Reaper Intelligences? The implications are widely varied which is why I need YOUR help in sorting them out.

Day of Reckoning: OK, would we be delivering the reckoning onto Reaper forces? Or would we be recieving this reckoning? Again I need your help. Or more coffee.

Lastly (thank God!) (Hey, shut up, I haven't typed that much!), I want to bring up two things:

First, a tweet by Chris Priestly (I know how we ITers feel about Tweets and community managers so take from this what you will)

"@08_ice, When it is ready to be talked about, it will be. Not my decision, but I think, hopefully, late next week." (Posted 5:27 PM - 11 Feb 13)

I have not seen the tweet that caused this tweet but I believe it is asking about Reckoning/future DLC... SO we can expect some sort of announcement next week? (let's hope it doesn't get overshadowed by Destiny((so excited!!)))

Which brings me to my next point, VG24/7 has saw fit to post a brief article on this post and it's relation to Reckoning:

"Mass Effect 3's rumoured 'Reckoning' DLC which is rumoured to factor your single player campaign choices into multiplayer - could be announced next week, according to developer Bioware.

We missed this one Monday, but OXM reports that the news came from Bioware Edmonton's community chap Chris Priestly over Twitter"
(I haven't read the OXM report)
Hmmm is the media jumping to conclusions or do you think they are right in assuming as much?

Am I jumping to conclusions?
Have I consumed too much coffee?
Has this computer crashed too many times while I wrote this???

The answers to these questions, and more, will be revealed next week...

POST!
NebuchadnezzaRT
Geth Pyro

Back to top Go down

Re: Our Day of Reckoning is at hand! (Sort of)

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:35 pm

REPENT!

THE END IS NIGH!

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by NebuchadnezzaRT on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:16 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:REPENT!

THE END IS NIGH!

Haha The Word is clear on this!
NebuchadnezzaRT
Geth Pyro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:17 pm

Why are you saying "Religious beliefs"? Religious symbolism and significance exists whether one believes it as truth in reality or not.

Just questioning your use of words.

Otherwise great stuff. It's just weird to see people tiptoe (in one way or another) around the clear Christian (and other) symbolism in this series.

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedingUranium on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:45 am

Bioware knows how to use names, this would be in no way surprising.

About the gaming media, they know the same things we do.
BleedingUranium
Thresher Maw

Back to top Go down

Post by ElSuperGecko on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:16 pm

“You were warned! You were all warned! Watch now as the hands of the Reapers, the human invaders, lay ruin to all we hold dear!”

Back to top Go down

Post by NebuchadnezzaRT on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:51 pm

SwobyJ wrote:Why are you saying "Religious beliefs"? Religious symbolism and significance exists whether one believes it as truth in reality or not.

Just questioning your use of words.

Otherwise great stuff. It's just weird to see people tiptoe (in one way or another) around the clear Christian (and other) symbolism in this series.

Sorry I know I was a bit excessive about that. To be clear I wasnt trying to get around any symbolism, my intention was more or less to avoid any discourse about said context, I wanted to stay mostly on point about the upcoming DLC, even if I delved into the religious overtext of the naming haha It does seem like o was tiptoeing specifically befause i didnt want to step on any toes :P
NebuchadnezzaRT
Geth Pyro

Back to top Go down

Post by NebuchadnezzaRT on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:54 pm

BleedingUranium wrote:Bioware knows how to use names, this would be in no way surprising.

I see your point, and I'm not disagreeing, but this is just the quietest I have ever seen the forums about upcoming DLC. Maybe when it gets officially announced or once we see more screens and info things will take off
NebuchadnezzaRT
Geth Pyro

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:58 pm

NebuchadnezzaRT wrote:
BleedingUranium wrote:Bioware knows how to use names, this would be in no way surprising.

I see your point, and I'm not disagreeing, but this is just the quietest I have ever seen the forums about upcoming DLC. Maybe when it gets officially announced or once we see more screens and info things will take off

The thing is, we don't know anything.

There's a good amount of speculation in the 'Wrex on the Citadel DLC' thread though.

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top