Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theorists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you believe Shepard will be the main protagonist in the next Mass Effect game?

+18
DSharrah
RavenEyry
Humakt
Restrider
HYR 2.1
BleedingUranium
magnetite
Veridiano02
Cyberfrog
windsurfing
BlueLogic
symbowles
AxStapleton
Rosewind
hukbum
Davik Kang
Eryri
DoomsdayDevice
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you believe Shepard will be the main protagonist in the next Mass Effect game?

Do you believe Shepard will be the main protagonist in the next Mass Effect game? Vote_lcap39%Do you believe Shepard will be the main protagonist in the next Mass Effect game? Vote_rcap 39% 
[ 16 ]
Do you believe Shepard will be the main protagonist in the next Mass Effect game? Vote_lcap61%Do you believe Shepard will be the main protagonist in the next Mass Effect game? Vote_rcap 61% 
[ 25 ]

Total Votes : 41

Do you believe Shepard will be the main protagonist in the next Mass Effect game? Empty Do you believe Shepard will be the main protagonist in the next Mass Effect game?

Post by DoomsdayDevice Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:24 pm

No maybe, yes or no.
DoomsdayDevice
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Do you believe Shepard will be the main protagonist in the next Mass Effect game? Empty Re: Do you believe Shepard will be the main protagonist in the next Mass Effect game?

Post by Eryri Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:29 pm

I really hope so, so I voted yes. I wouldn't be averse to a new protagonist at some point in the future, but Shepard's story needs to be finished properly first (and happily too, for preference).
Eryri
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Do you believe Shepard will be the main protagonist in the next Mass Effect game? Empty Re: Do you believe Shepard will be the main protagonist in the next Mass Effect game?

Post by Davik Kang Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:30 pm

End of Shep's story. Whichever they go with though I anticipate that it'll be pretty cool. Bioware is good at that 'awesome' feeling in videogames.
Davik Kang
Davik Kang
Mercenary

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:31 pm

How is it the end of Shepard's story if the reapers haven't been defeated yet?

How is it the end of Shepard's story if he's just resisted indoctrination?

It would be like having Luke Skywalker retire at the end of The Empire Strikes Back, and have some random guy take over for him to finish off the empire in Return of the Jedi.

Last edited by DoomsdayDevice on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
DoomsdayDevice
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by hukbum Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:31 pm

In the next game? I don't think so. In the game after the next game? Highly possible.

And about that Shep 2.0 statement from BW:
I don't give a damn about Shep 2.0. I stick whith my Shep 1.0 ;)
hukbum
hukbum
Abomination

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:33 pm

*checks poll results*

Oooo, lots of indoctrinated peoples. Laughing

Bioware PR is even more powerful than Reaper indoctrination. Tongue
DoomsdayDevice
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by hukbum Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:35 pm

PR is something like indoctrination. What did you expect? Grin
hukbum
hukbum
Abomination

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosewind Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Maybe a yes, but I am leaning towards no more.
Rosewind
Rosewind
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:37 pm

Could you guys please give reasons for why you believe Shepard's story is over?

"Bioware said so" won't cut it. Tongue
DoomsdayDevice
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by AxStapleton Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Bioware's PR haven't exactly been truthful of late, have they?
AxStapleton
AxStapleton
Varren

Back to top Go down

Post by hukbum Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:43 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:Could you guys please give reasons for why you believe Shepard's story is over?
My reason(s):
Because we don't know nothing about Shep's state (physical/mental) after the breath scene.
We just don't know if (s)he is in any condition to keep fighting.
And (maybe the main reason) my brain just lacks the the way of positive thinking which you seem to be quite capable. Wink
hukbum
hukbum
Abomination

Back to top Go down

Post by symbowles Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:02 pm

Here's why I don't think Shepard will be in the next game:

First, I believe any further DLC (or expansion pack...I'd like that) will not only reveal IT, but then allow us to continue fighting and defeat the reapers. So me3 is not just about breaking indoctrination, but also beating the reapers, and me4 will be a new story.

With that said, I think bioware wants to cater to as many people as possible with me4. I think there are two groups of people bioware is going to try and sell to:

"Hey, you bought all of me3's DLC (or the me3.5 expansion) and discovered that IT is true and you defeated the reapers? Congratulations! Hopefully Commander Shepard is enjoying retirement. Here's me4 with a new character!"

or

"Hey, you used the crucible to beat the reapers? Congratulations! Hopefully Commander Shepard is resting in peace. Here's me4 with a new character"

As for how they'll adapt the three different endings for the literalist, I have no idea. I just don't think they'll force you to buy DLC for me3 to understand why Shepard would be alive and still fighting reapers in me4.

You know a lot of gamers bought me3, played it, and moved on. It wouldn't make much sense to them if they buy me4 and play as Shepard when they saw him die in their endings...not to mention the reapers would still be wandering around. And business wise, it may not make much sense for bioware to do that.

I'm just reeeeallllly thinking that me4 will be a new story with a new character. And the story will not be as large in scale, but more personable.

Any DLC or expansion will simply be a bridge to me4...much like arrival was for me2 and me3. It was helpful to the story and should really be played, but it isn't necessary.

Last edited by symbowles on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
symbowles
symbowles
Geth Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:06 pm

Ok, so I voted no after giving it some thought. I'm guessing that ME3 DLC (either then next or more in the future) will reveal Indoctrination Theory to be largely true, and will continue Shepard's story after the EC endings with additional gameplay and a final ending that will see either the destruction of the Reapers or their abandonment of the galaxy.

Regardless of how it ends, I expect that the substantial plot points will be resolved in a way that will color the 4th game, but will not have nearly the disparate effects the original control/synthesis/destroy would have had. Basically I expect the variances in players' endings to be both numerous and largely personal to Shepard and those around him. Did so and so survive? Who helped save X and Y, and where does Z now live etc.

So, in short, I expect 3 will conclude Shep's story, but we haven't seen the end yet.

EDIT: As for the final fight, I would eventually expect another conversation with the intelligence or Harbinger. This time Shep would have overcome or avoided indoctrination, and the tone of the conversation would be far far different. Shep could point out the flaws in the Intelligence's solution, his logic, all that good stuff. I want a FREAKING DEBATE!! It would be priceless to be able to throw the end of the Geth/Quarian conflict and the resulting peace right in his face. IN THE FACE!

In the end, if Shep wins, the Reapers fly away, self destruct, any of that. A renegade option to have Harbinger or the Intelligence command the Reapers to fly themselves into a star would be neat.

BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by windsurfing Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:27 pm

There is no Mass Effect without reapers or their creators or some power that resulted in all the tech that influenced the path of development of whole ME galaxy.

And there is no Mass "Effect" without Shepard and his musketeer squad mates.

There are no bigger stories to tell without these entities, anything else will be a huge step backwards. Bioware sure put high standards with this story/universe/expectations but they can make it easier on themselves by just following Shepard's story with many more sequels.

Mark Meer and Hale are going to be healthy voice wise for a long time to come. So why the hell not eh?

The formula works great and took a lot of time to make it this detailed.

Plus biggest reason of all Casey, Walters et al are marketing liars, they have lied before so nothing they say should be taken all seriously until its out.

If it aint broke don't fix it.

windsurfing
windsurfing
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyberfrog Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:28 pm

No. Because I'm a pessimist.

You know I'd love to see those smug Synthesis people get what they deserve, but if ME3 DLC doesn't accomplish that, I will assume that the next game won't either.
Cyberfrog
Cyberfrog
Gas Bag

Back to top Go down

Post by Veridiano02 Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:29 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:Could you guys please give reasons for why you believe Shepard's story is over?

"Bioware said so" won't cut it. Tongue

Well, the ME original trilogy is over. ME3 it's the end of Shepard's story. Is the only thing that Bioware and I agree. It's like see Luke Skywalker be the main character of Star Wars: Episode I. Of course, there can be characters in common, but... Exactly the same... I don't know.

Also... I'm not indoctrinated. I'm 100% agree with IT. Bioware has to release a DLC with the true ending of ME3, then finish the story with a real ending (please, no more "magical-green-waves-that-makes-the-reapers-good-and-everybody-equal-and-inmortal-and-happy-forever") and then, with Shepard's story really finished, start to thinking in ME4. Maybe a prequel, maybe a sequel...

Anyway, if ME4 it's another reaper war game with Shepard leading the galaxy troops, i'll be happy too, but... I don't thing that's the right way. ME4 should be a complete different story, in the same universe, of course. And that's only possible with a proper ending for ME3. Just like DA2 (But well done XD). Maybe with Shepard's son as you commanding officer (that's a joke XD).
Veridiano02
Veridiano02
Pod Crab

Back to top Go down

Post by magnetite Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:43 pm

I don't think we'll be able to play as Shepard, but Shepard may be in the next game as one of the characters. Who knows.
magnetite
magnetite
Brute

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedingUranium Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:51 pm

I don't think so, but not because of PR.

Just as Tali's story ends with whatever happens on Rannoch, Miranda's ends in Sanctuary, and Wrex's ends when you cure (or don't) the Genophage, Shepard's ends when he defeats (or doesn't) indoctrination. That's the end of Shepard's story.

The Reapers are not Shepard's story, that's the galaxy's story. Shepard's story is his personal battle with Harbinger and indoctrination. I believe we'll get a post-choice DLC where we'll take Earth back, and almost certainly kill Harbinger, but not win the war, not yet.

I believe that Mass Effect 1/2/3 is Star Wars 1/2/3 (not 4/5/6), and Shepard is Obi-Wan Kenobi (not Luke Skywalker).

So I believe we'll get more Shepard in post-choice content, but not in future games.
BleedingUranium
BleedingUranium
Thresher Maw

Back to top Go down

Post by magnetite Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:57 pm

Oh the other thing I was going to mention is that if the next game takes place say 50 years after the third game, Shepard would be around 82-83 years old (he/she is 32-33 years old in the third game). Kind of hard to have a really old geezer try and fight Reapers without having a cane and such.

Unless they cured aging by then, but judging by the fact that Admiral Hackett has gray hair and looks his age, then they obviously haven't.

Of course if it's a direct sequel, then the age thing goes out the window.
magnetite
magnetite
Brute

Back to top Go down

Post by AxStapleton Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:34 pm

Did anyone look at the articles on the spectre terminals? One of them said that the galactic war economy at its current rate is going to collapse within a year.

I don't personally see how they'd be able to maintain a war against the Reapers for several decades.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Spectre_Terminal#First_Irune_Financial_Report
AxStapleton
AxStapleton
Varren

Back to top Go down

Post by symbowles Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:36 pm

BleedingUranium wrote:I don't think so, but not because of PR.

Just as Tali's story ends with whatever happens on Rannoch, Miranda's ends in Sanctuary, and Wrex's ends when you cure (or don't) the Genophage, Shepard's ends when he defeats (or doesn't) indoctrination. That's the end of Shepard's story.

The Reapers are not Shepard's story, that's the galaxy's story. Shepard's story is his personal battle with Harbinger and indoctrination. I believe we'll get a post-choice DLC where we'll take Earth back, and almost certainly kill Harbinger, but not win the war, not yet.

I believe that Mass Effect 1/2/3 is Star Wars 1/2/3 (not 4/5/6), and Shepard is Obi-Wan Kenobi (not Luke Skywalker).

So I believe we'll get more Shepard in post-choice content, but not in future games.

Star Wars 1/2/3 is Anakin's story, not Obi-Wan's. And really Star Wars is a story of a tragic hero who gains redemption, Anakin's story...I don't know if you can really compare ME to SW in the manner in which you did.

And to have anyone but Shepard defeat the reapers would be an insult to Shepard's character. He discovered the reapers, he (for the most part) stopped Sovereign, he kept fighting when the council denied the reapers Ah, yes..., he stopped the collectors, he delayed the reapers, and he united the galaxy. No, the reapers are most certainly Shepard's to finish off.
symbowles
symbowles
Geth Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedingUranium Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:48 pm

In ME 1/2/3 Shepard would be both Anakin and Obi-Wan, as if they were one character.

For ME 4/5/6 it would be either as if Anakin died in 3, or Obi-Wan died in 3, depending on your choice.
BleedingUranium
BleedingUranium
Thresher Maw

Back to top Go down

Post by HYR 2.1 Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:54 pm

No.

And that's probably for the best.

Don't get me wrong, I had great fun playing as Commander Shepard. I just feel like writing a military protagonist kind of handicapped the writers. Military is just not their thing, IMO. I think they'd play to their strengths with a new protagonist in more of an "agent" role.

Going hand-in-hand with that, I think we will see Cerberus rise again in ME4.
HYR 2.1
HYR 2.1
Pirate

Back to top Go down

Post by Restrider Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:16 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:No maybe, yes or no.
Heavily depends on what they are doing with the coming DLC(s).
Restrider
Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Humakt Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:40 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:*checks poll results*

Oooo, lots of indoctrinated peoples. Laughing

Bioware PR is even more powerful than Reaper indoctrination. Tongue

I don't particularly want to play as Shepard in the next game. I'd rather want something fresh besides it is a bit ridiculous to claim that protagonist has to outlive antagonists because some teenager in another trilogy did.

That being said, I'm fine with Shepard appearing in the next game and not really unhappy if (s)he is still protagonist. But I'm somehow doubtful that the choices we made in the trilogy (particularly Geth/Quarian) would carry over to the next game.

Restrider wrote:
DoomsdayDevice wrote:No maybe, yes or no.
Heavily depends on what they are doing with the coming DLC(s).

Agreed.
Humakt
Humakt
Nightmare

http://www.celestialheavens.com/thundermaps/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next