Is Control Possible

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Is Control Possible

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:26 pm

Steelcan wrote:
GethPrimeMKII wrote:


We really can't pick and choose what's canon and what's not. By the developers' own admission, all DLC and all comics/books (with te exception of Mass Effect: Deception) are canon.

Your argument for what makes Overlord non canon doesn't make much sense. I fail to see how this DLC could be considered non canon while another DLC is.

But let's not get into another argument over which DLC is canon or not. Let's make things easier by looking at just the base game. I believe there is enough evidence in the base game to prove control of the Reapers is impossible. Control is like the Devil's temptation. It is highly tempting and seemingly attainable, but will ruin anyone who pursues it.
. Sanctuary proves otherwise. It validates TIM. Throughout the game we have no reason to believe it is possible. Sanctuary changes that.
Is Sanctuary's method of control is successful, then how come Cerberus can't control the Reapers who were sent toattack the place from destroying it?
avatar
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Posts : 3094
Join date : 2013-01-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Is Control Possible

Post by Steelcan on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:40 pm

Selim Bradley wrote:Is Sanctuary's method of control is successful, then how come Cerberus can't control the Reapers who were sent toattack the place from destroying it?
. Probably because the tech would be moved to somewhere see ASAP.
avatar
Steelcan
Scion

Posts : 610
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 22
Location : Columbia SC

Back to top Go down

Re: Is Control Possible

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Steelcan wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:Is Sanctuary's method of control is successful, then how come Cerberus can't control the Reapers who were sent toattack the place from destroying it?
. Probably because the tech would be moved to somewhere see ASAP.
They would never move it with living Reaper forces as their test subjects. They would kill those subjects first to ensure that they wouldn't destroy the base. Yet we see several still in experiment cells. If anything, they send the schematics to TIM, not the whole thing, especially since they hadn't figured out how to control actual Reapers yet, according to the logs.
avatar
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Posts : 3094
Join date : 2013-01-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Is Control Possible

Post by GethJuggernautMKII on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Cerberus barely manages to gain control of the husks they had. Sanctuary is in ruins by the time Shepard and team arrive, suggesting that things have gone horribly wrong for Cerberus. At best Cerberus has limited control over lowly foot soldiers. They'd still be lightyears away from controlling an actual reaper, if the method to control one could be drawn from their experiment.

I think better questions regarding control are the following: Is it the right thing to do? Is it right for one man to wield all that power? Can one man possibly wield that power and not become corrupted by it?

_________________

PS3 ID: HJL14J ~~~~~~~ The ending is simply a pop quiz to see if you, the player, payed attention to the themes and messages present within the trilogy.
avatar
GethJuggernautMKII
Varren

Posts : 401
Join date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Is Control Possible

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:13 am

Steelcan wrote:
DoomsdayDevice wrote:No, controlling the Reapers is not possible.

Shepard: What went wrong with the experiment?
Gavin Archer: David volunteered to interface with the VI to give it genuine consciousness. Theoretically it should have been safe, but... with artificial intelligence there is no such thing as safe.
Shepard: Then you shouldn't have attempted it.

EDI: When two AI weapons are pitted against each other, the one with superior hardware will always win. Human misjudgements defy predictive models.
. Overlord is irrelevant for Controlling the Reapers.

On the contrary. It explains in detail why it is a terrible idea for Shepard to interface with a Reaper AI in order to give it genuine consciousness. If a simple VI can do that to Archer, what do you think the Reaper AI will do to Shepard? "with artificial intelligence there is no such thing as safe."

_________________
"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson

avatar
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Posts : 2959
Join date : 2013-01-08
Location : Probing Uranus

Back to top Go down

Re: Is Control Possible

Post by Steelcan on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:08 pm

Selim Bradley wrote:
Steelcan wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:Is Sanctuary's method of control is successful, then how come Cerberus can't control the Reapers who were sent toattack the place from destroying it?
. Probably because the tech would be moved to somewhere see ASAP.
They would never move it with living Reaper forces as their test subjects. They would kill those subjects first to ensure that they wouldn't destroy the base. Yet we see several still in experiment cells. If anything, they send the schematics to TIM, not the whole thing, especially since they hadn't figured out how to control actual Reapers yet, according to the logs.
. Do we see any "living" husks in pods? I don't remember any.

As for sending the tech away, why would they send it to TIM? It would probably be sent somewhere it can replicated. Or maybe even to the Citadel once TIM learns about the Catalyst.
avatar
Steelcan
Scion

Posts : 610
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 22
Location : Columbia SC

Back to top Go down

Re: Is Control Possible

Post by Steelcan on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:10 pm

GethPrimeMKII wrote:Cerberus barely manages to gain control of the husks they had. Sanctuary is in ruins by the time Shepard and team arrive, suggesting that things have gone horribly wrong for Cerberus. At best Cerberus has limited control over lowly foot soldiers. They'd still be lightyears away from controlling an actual reaper, if the method to control one could be drawn from their experiment.

I think better questions regarding control are the following: Is it the right thing to do? Is it right for one man to wield all that power? Can one man possibly wield that power and not become corrupted by it?
. Sanctuary is in reins because the Reapers attacked it. I'm it saying that Cerberus is ready to control the reapers. I'm saying they have the right idea, and with refinement it could be feasible.

And AI's don't go crazy in ME lore.
avatar
Steelcan
Scion

Posts : 610
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 22
Location : Columbia SC

Back to top Go down

Re: Is Control Possible

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:16 pm

Steelcan wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:
Steelcan wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:Is Sanctuary's method of control is successful, then how come Cerberus can't control the Reapers who were sent toattack the place from destroying it?
. Probably because the tech would be moved to somewhere see ASAP.
They would never move it with living Reaper forces as their test subjects. They would kill those subjects first to ensure that they wouldn't destroy the base. Yet we see several still in experiment cells. If anything, they send the schematics to TIM, not the whole thing, especially since they hadn't figured out how to control actual Reapers yet, according to the logs.
. Do we see any "living" husks in pods? I don't remember any.

As for sending the tech away, why would they send it to TIM? It would probably be sent somewhere it can replicated. Or maybe even to the Citadel once TIM learns about the Catalyst.
There's a Banshee scratching at a window in a lab where you learn about how they use adrenaline.

By send it to TIM, I meant send it to a place you described.
avatar
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Posts : 3094
Join date : 2013-01-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Is Control Possible

Post by Steelcan on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:36 pm

Selim Bradley wrote:
Steelcan wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:
Steelcan wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:Is Sanctuary's method of control is successful, then how come Cerberus can't control the Reapers who were sent toattack the place from destroying it?
. Probably because the tech would be moved to somewhere see ASAP.
They would never move it with living Reaper forces as their test subjects. They would kill those subjects first to ensure that they wouldn't destroy the base. Yet we see several still in experiment cells. If anything, they send the schematics to TIM, not the whole thing, especially since they hadn't figured out how to control actual Reapers yet, according to the logs.
. Do we see any "living" husks in pods? I don't remember any.

As for sending the tech away, why would they send it to TIM? It would probably be sent somewhere it can replicated. Or maybe even to the Citadel once TIM learns about the Catalyst.
There's a Banshee scratching at a window in a lab where you learn about how they use adrenaline.

By send it to TIM, I meant send it to a place you described.
. The Banshee could have been trapped in there by Kai Leng, Cerberus troops, Miranda, take your pick.
avatar
Steelcan
Scion

Posts : 610
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 22
Location : Columbia SC

Back to top Go down

Re: Is Control Possible

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum