New Sim City

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Sim City

Post by Andromidius on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:06 am

Rough launch day.

People still shocked and outraged.

Not at all suprised.

Anyway, let's have a discussion about it. I'm not going to buy it for a while, but I have great interest in this game. Anyone who gets this game running, please let us know your thoughts!
avatar
Andromidius
Admin

Posts : 1153
Join date : 2013-01-07

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by BlueLogic on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:43 pm

Oh really? What's going wrong? I've seen the "always connected online multiplayer" feature in previews, so I'm assuming that little time bomb has contributed its payload to the problems, but I haven't been following it closely.
avatar
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Posts : 534
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 39
Location : Calibrating something in ATL, GA, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Andromidius on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:01 pm

Basically 30 long queues to even try to connect to servers. Preorders not being given priority, so there are rumours some people bought second copies of the game to try and play.

Hours later, people still unable to connect to their single player game. And if you DLC, then tough luck.
avatar
Andromidius
Admin

Posts : 1153
Join date : 2013-01-07

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by BlueLogic on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:38 pm

Andromidius wrote:Basically 30 long queues to even try to connect to servers. Preorders not being given priority, so there are rumours some people bought second copies of the game to try and play.

Hours later, people still unable to connect to their single player game. And if you DLC, then tough luck.

Dayum. So glad I'm not dealing with that mess. Haven't really been into Sim City since 3000. Maybe I'll check this one out if there's anything left when the dust settles.
avatar
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Posts : 534
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 39
Location : Calibrating something in ATL, GA, USA

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by HYR 2.1 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:26 am

BlueLogic wrote:
Andromidius wrote:Basically 30 long queues to even try to connect to servers. Preorders not being given priority, so there are rumours some people bought second copies of the game to try and play.

Hours later, people still unable to connect to their single player game. And if you DLC, then tough luck.

Dayum. So glad I'm not dealing with that mess. Haven't really been into Sim City since 3000. Maybe I'll check this one out if there's anything left when the dust settles.

Same. I was unaware of this.

I used to play Sim City (forget which) when I was a kid. My cities were terrible and always failed, but again, I must have been about seven. My mom, OTOH, was good at it and enjoyed playing.

I might have to get this one, myself... for old times' sake.
avatar
HYR 2.1
Pirate

Posts : 81
Join date : 2013-02-11
Age : 26
Location : Classified.

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by magnetite on Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:07 am

I had a surplus of around 500 simoleons per day, until I started blowing money on stuff I didn't need (too many schools, etc), and I went bankrupt.

Received an error message:



Seem to have better luck with this city though:

avatar
magnetite
Brute

Posts : 710
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 34
Location : Calgary, AB, Canada

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Andromidius on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:37 pm

The LOL continues.

Free DLC! That is blatant advertising and breaks the game even more because its so overpowered.

Yeah. That's exactly what this game needed. Good job EA?
avatar
Andromidius
Admin

Posts : 1153
Join date : 2013-01-07

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Terramine on Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:14 pm

A DLC came out?

Anyways, aside from always online DRM being... well, just being plain wrong. I don't know if they "fixed" it or not yet, but apparently the game breaks after so long because of a FAKE number of citizens. Basically the amount of citizens or whatever is not anywhere near accurate after so long and so shit goes fubar.

It was obviously something they knew was there before release -_-

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2468
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 24
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Guest on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:19 pm

Hahahahaha I'm so glad I didn't buy this POS game.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by lex0r on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:43 pm

I am just waiting for the day EA will sell bigger map size as a DLC.

Dis gonna be good.

_________________

https://www.youtube.com/lex0r
"I like to think about the first law of thermodynamics, that no energy in the universe is created and none is destroyed. Every bit of energy inside us, every particle will go on to be a part of something else. And every part of us now was once a part of some other thing."
avatar
lex0r
Admin

Posts : 599
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Terramine on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:54 pm

lex0r11 wrote:I am just waiting for the day EA will sell bigger map size as a DLC.

Dis gonna be good.
I bet one of the DLCs they will make will also address the *ahem* problem I mentioned. Ironically probably the bigger map size DLC, it fits perfectly because otherwise your city goes fubar before you can fully utilize the bigger size.

Anyone feel like this "problem" is there to stop people from modding a bigger map size instead of paying for it?

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2468
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 24
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Gummy on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:51 pm

I own the game and play it and the only things I can say all these problems like connection issues and cities going fubar is blown completely out of proportion and they fixed the most critical errors.
Additionally I don't see the problem with that DLC. Yeah it's advertising but: if you don't want it don't use it.
avatar
Gummy
Gas Bag

Posts : 69
Join date : 2013-01-31
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Terramine on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:26 pm

Gummy wrote:I own the game and play it and the only things I can say all these problems like connection issues and cities going fubar is blown completely out of proportion and they fixed the most critical errors.
Additionally I don't see the problem with that DLC. Yeah it's advertising but: if you don't want it don't use it.
No the problem I mentioned is actually boiled down to the game engine itself and has not been blown out of proportion. It's one thing if EA fixed it, which I doubt because I haven't heard of any updates addressing it.

But it's a whole other thing to claim it's not a serious thing. It's been proven that not only is it a real problem, but it's very serious: http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/1a5pof/did_ea_lie_about_theoretical_population_sizes/

Why is it that whenever a customer is VERY LUCKY in an experience and their experience goes off without a hitch. They feel the need to invalidate the vast majority having problems? It baffles me, it's like if a gang had attacked a small town and because they don't attack YOU, you just go "Guys stop it, getting murdered and abused by these gang members is not that big of a deal".

Not that EA is as bad as that, but point is just because YOU got lucky that does not mean EA is innocent -_-

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2468
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 24
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Terramine on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:31 pm

And of all things this is EA we are talking about, the worst company... they actually got an award for that. What does that make the people who defend them? -_-

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2468
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 24
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Gummy on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:50 pm

The thing mentioned on this reddit is because 1 displayed high density house counts and is treated as 8 simulated houses. The population displayed doesn't matter anyway, just go for the numbers in the other tabs like everyone would do automatically. The displayed number is just for orientation in any case.
Also if he gets problems with just 100k people he's doing something wrong.
Additionally it's not just me but also everyone I play with maybe had 1 serious error, but any game has bugs... SC might not be the most polished game, but also by far not the worst.

All you have is seemingly second hand information.
avatar
Gummy
Gas Bag

Posts : 69
Join date : 2013-01-31
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Terramine on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:16 pm

Gummy wrote:The thing mentioned on this reddit is because 1 displayed high density house counts and is treated as 8 simulated houses. The population displayed doesn't matter anyway, just go for the numbers in the other tabs like everyone would do automatically. The displayed number is just for orientation in any case.
Also if he gets problems with just 100k people he's doing something wrong.
Additionally it's not just me but also everyone I play with maybe had 1 serious error, but any game has bugs... SC might not be the most polished game, but also by far not the worst.

All you have is seemingly second hand information.
I wouldn't blame him when there is a LOT of people with such problems.

Besides, always online DRM is beyond unethical. You can't take back someone's property they payed for, yet technically that can be done simply by keeping them from being able to connect to the server. This alone is enough to be unforgivable, what happens when the servers shut down eventually? Let me guess, to avoid a shit storm they'll finally deactivate the DRM so you can play offline despite it being such an inconvenience for them to do it now. Besides that shouldn't matter, a person should able to use their product at ANY time, not just when they are connected to the internet.

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2468
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 24
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Gummy on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:57 pm

And that's a misconception. A game you purchase is NOT your property. Read an EULA of any game that is not freeware.
You purchase the license to play it, but you don't own it.
avatar
Gummy
Gas Bag

Posts : 69
Join date : 2013-01-31
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Terramine on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:16 am

Gummy wrote:And that's a misconception. A game you purchase is NOT your property. Read an EULA of any game that is not freeware.
You purchase the license to play it, but you don't own it.
Once again, why the hell am I actually seeing a person trying to justify major violations of ethics, as well protecting the worst company?

Just as a side note: Cracks are not illegal in any way, shape or form and yet they allow you to play a game without a disk or without NEEDING to adhere to the DRM. So if hackers actually cared to crack SC, it would not be illegal if you actually payed for the product yet you could play it as much as you like and EA could not do shit.

Breaking the EULA does not do much other than make you lose EA support, modding for a lot of games is against their EULAs yet they can't press any legal charges. You have to actually break laws in order for a violation of the EULA to mean more than you losing their support. As well, I don't see how what you are saying is possible. If SC had regular DRM like most games, then how exactly would you be paying just to play it? You have the content and you can play it 100% when and how you want whether EA would like it or not. You don't purchase no license, you purchase a copy of the game. Of course the game industry is getting shady with digital download, but technically even now you purchase a non-physical copy and they can't stop you from playing it.

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2468
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 24
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Gummy on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:23 am

1. you should check your facts again.
2. and more important: this mentality is why publishers will jump at it when streaming content becomes feasible for playing (aka when more people get better connection).
avatar
Gummy
Gas Bag

Posts : 69
Join date : 2013-01-31
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Terramine on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:01 am

Gummy wrote:1. you should check your facts again.
2. and more important: this mentality is why publishers will jump at it when streaming content becomes feasible for playing (aka when more people get better connection).
1.Not really, as I've said the EULA is not law, simply an agreement that CAN be violated if you want to... if it breaches law, then it becomes a problem for the law. But if it doesn't, then it's EA's problem and the only thing they have the power to do is to stop supporting you. They cannot press charges and in fact, cracks are 100% legal. Now if say, you were infringing copy right or pirating, that'd be a different story since those are breaches of law. But cracking a purchased copy, is not a breach in law.

2.Your point? It's a justified position or "mentality" as you called it, the opposition is not and is in fact unethical.(I'm assuming you meant the mentality that it was unethical, correct me if I'm wrong.)


Last edited by IronicParticle on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2468
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 24
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Rifneno on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:53 am

Someone is defending EA? On the topic of SimCity? What is this I don't even

_________________
Remember folks.  We didn't get A, B, C endings.  We got A, A, A endings.
avatar
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Posts : 2625
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 36
Location : Razgriz Straits

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Gummy on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:30 am

People who never played it feeling compelled to argue that the game sucks vs one who played it who says it's fun. Sure there isn't any bias from them right guys? ... Guys?

Seriously these numbers may not be accurate and they could change some stuff, but there isn't anything game breaking and the issues with waiting times etc were managed much faster than they were for Diablo 3 for example. But people like to hate on EA because... well it's EA.
avatar
Gummy
Gas Bag

Posts : 69
Join date : 2013-01-31
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Rifneno on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:39 am

Gummy wrote:People who never played it feeling compelled to argue that the game sucks vs one who played it who says it's fun. Sure there isn't any bias from them right guys? ... Guys?

Seriously these numbers may not be accurate and they could change some stuff, but there isn't anything game breaking and the issues with waiting times etc were managed much faster than they were for Diablo 3 for example. But people like to hate on EA because... well it's EA.

Right. Right. We only hate on EA because they're EA. They haven't done anything wrong! Heavens no! And all those news stories about what a train wreck major nuclear accident that SimCity was were just, I don't know, communist propaganda!

_________________
Remember folks.  We didn't get A, B, C endings.  We got A, A, A endings.
avatar
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Posts : 2625
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 36
Location : Razgriz Straits

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Gummy on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:56 am

As said they're blown way out of proportion. But well you obviously don't care about it anyway as it would be something less to hate :3

I have yet to meet someone who played the game and said that the game is trash or something, but I hear lots of people complaining about it who never even touched it. The hate EA got for it for their day 1 connection problems was way higher than the hate against Blizzard for their week 1 connection problems. Just because it's EA.
avatar
Gummy
Gas Bag

Posts : 69
Join date : 2013-01-31
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Rifneno on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:11 pm

Gummy wrote:As said they're blown way out of proportion. But well you obviously don't care about it anyway as it would be something less to hate :3

I have yet to meet someone who played the game and said that the game is trash or something, but I hear lots of people complaining about it who never even touched it. The hate EA got for it for their day 1 connection problems was way higher than the hate against Blizzard for their week 1 connection problems. Just because it's EA.

Yeah, I should be more passive-aggressive like you and just tell new folks stories about how we're all insulting them behind their backs. Speaking of lies, I do not believe for one single solitary fucking second that you've never heard someone that actually has SimCity trash it. People will hate on any game, even if it's close to perfect. In order to have not heard someone with a valid gripe against one of the worst launches ever, you'd have to be deaf, blind, and living in a cave on Mars. Blizzard got plenty of heat for Diablo 3's day one connection problems. EA is getting proportional heat for their way-the-hell-longer-than-day one problems. Along with lies like "processing power is so high that we HAVE to run your single player game on our servers instead of your computers, honest!" Blizzard for crucified for the launch problems they had with World of Warcraft, which was far less their fault than SimCity's was EA's fault. But you just keep that EA apologist nonsense up. Maybe one day you'll finally meet one of the few dozens gamers who haven't been screwed by EA before and they actually buy your "EA is teh victim" shill. Good luck with that drivel.

_________________
Remember folks.  We didn't get A, B, C endings.  We got A, A, A endings.
avatar
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Posts : 2625
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 36
Location : Razgriz Straits

Back to top Go down

Re: New Sim City

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum