Lucid Dreaming

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lucid Dreaming

Post by Terramine on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:53 am

I wanted to make a topic where we discuss Lucidity in dreaming, as well any personal experiences we might of had, as well inform those who don't know about it. This will also be a Sleep Paralysis topic, out of body experience topic, and a all around dream topic. While the main focus is Lucid Dreaming, feel free to cover anything dream related. Lucid Dreaming is when you realize you are dreaming during your dream, you become aware of the dream. It's usually rare to happen on it's own, I personally have them quite often naturally though. Lucid Dreaming does not ensure you have control over your dream, being aware of and controlling your dream are 2 different things.

You may also be able to gauge your potential at controlling by observing how much your unaware dream self exhibits control. For example, in one of my non-lucid dreams... I pulled a shotgun out of my *ss to shoot something out of reaction. Not literally, I didn't have a shotgun on my person and yet my dream self pulled a shotgun out that I DID NOT have... That's all I meant. This shows my dream self controls the dream already, I just am not aware enough to freely manipulate it.

Many people wonder what is so great about Lucid Dreaming, honestly sometimes it can be a curse.... as is Sleep Paralysis mostly. I personally can choose to leave my dream and wake up if I become Lucid, however not everyone has this ability. Imagine being Lucid in your worst nightmare, with no escape... Yikes.

As for what is so great about it, well if you can't control your dream it can still give you nice experiences... as long as it doesn't backfire in ways like above. The main attraction is when you DO have control though, because when fully Lucid it's like real life. You feel, smell(I can't smell in real life, so I can't in my dreams lol), see crystal clear, hear perfectly, taste perfectly, etc. So imagine, eating to your hearts content... flying at will, have any super power you want. Be anything, do anything, etc. Dunno about you, but that's pretty awesome. I can be Commander Shepard, and Omni-blade harbinger in the eye in an epic battle. I can experience things not possible within the bounds of physics. For you perverts, you can have your Harem or something... though stuff like that is too intense to stabilize the dreamscape, and so you need practice to do a lot of this stuff.

Which is another thing, you can LEARN to Lucid Dream. There is many methods:

WILD: Wake Induced Lucid Dreaming
MILD: Mnemonic Induced Lucid Dreaming
VILD: Visual Induced Lucid Dreaming
LILD: Lucid Induced Lucid Dreaming

There is also stuff to increase your chances and to ease the process... such as certain foods proven to help, Reality Checks, Autosuggestion, the wake back to bed method, etc, etc.

Mild is the hardest but most rewarding technique, it's the one I'm trying to master.

But I think that's enough details, if you have any questions... or want me or someone to expand on something, go ahead and ask. as well feel free to discuss anything dream related, including your own dream experiences whether they be scary or fun, lucid or not, etc, etc.

This forum is one specifically meant for Lucid Dreaming, while i invoked discussion here at the IT forum, I am posting this link for anyone serious about looking into learning about it and more specifically how to start learning to purposely invoke a Lucid Dream: http://www.dreamviews.com/attaining-lucidity/

It will take time and effort, but considering when it mostly takes place... namely sleep time, it's not really going to interfere anyways. It's like working out your brain, like working out your muscles it is time consuming... but you do it in a way that isn't inconvenient at all. I personally feel the benefits are worth any such effort.


Last edited by IronicParticle on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by RavenEyry on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:40 am

I had a lucid dream once years ago. The idea has fascinated e ever since but I can't get it to happen again whatever I do.
avatar
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Posts : 1702
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 24
Location : Lincoln, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Raistlin Majere on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:56 am

I am personally taking steps to try and induce lucid dreaming, mostly along the WILD line. I have been on it for some time and I have definitely felt some progress.

So far this has resulted in me regularly remembering my dreams in vivid detail and more than once I have had trace amounts of lucid dreaming, like a dream just two days ago where I flew a fighter jet of some sort against an enemy fighter. Right there I had a moment where i felt in control instead of just a passive watcher.

I have had other experiences like that, though I guess i could say they are all characterized by a certain sluggishness. Whenever I feel like I have more control I also start to feel bogged down, like I am wading through mud. It is strange feeling.

My most lucid experience though happened shortly after I started reading the book series Temeraire. I had just finished the first book, sitting up most of the night engulfed in it. Unsurprisingly my dreams reflected this when I went to sleep, but at one moment as I flea cross the sea on the back of the titular dragon Temeraire I realized it was just like the book and realized it was a dream.

What followed was a beautiful experience as I flew on the back of a dragon for several minutes before the dream collapsed. It is this experience which inspired me to try and replicate it.

But i am making progress which is what i find most important.

_________________
Heroes get Remembered, but Legends never Die.
avatar
Raistlin Majere
N7

Posts : 1089
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 25
Location : Denmark

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Terramine on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:34 am

RavenEyry wrote:I had a lucid dream once years ago. The idea has fascinated e ever since but I can't get it to happen again whatever I do.
Yeah as I said, it's happened to me a lot... at one point I just didn't know what to call it. The techniques I mentioned have high success, though WILD is the hardest method.

Essentially with WILD, you try to fall asleep without losing your self-awareness. Of course, you have to let yourself lower in awareness somewhat to fall asleep, but not too much where you will end up unaware like usual. You can't really move that much, you have to be as still as possible. As well, you start to experience things that normally happen when you're already asleep like total numbness, seeing images in your eyelids, etc.

It really is difficult to WILD. Though honestly, it's best to practice all methods, even if you don't WILD it's good to combine all the easier ones.

Here's a good forum built specifically and entirely for Lucid Dreaming and whatnot, it's got lots of stuff you may want to look into, I'll also update the first post with it:

http://www.dreamviews.com/attaining-lucidity/

The best first step you can take, is to build up your dream vividness... you know, how "intense" the dream is, how well you experience your senses. As well, learning to remember your dreams. The best way to do this, is a dream Journal, which is more essential than most people know. The easier it is to remember your dreams, the more vivid your dreams, vividness is the level of lucidity of your senses... how intense they are. The more vivid your senses, the more aware you aware, the more aware... the more likely you'll realize it's a dream.

Also, it helps that before you go to bed you repeat things like "I will have a lucid dream tonight". I personally also use a program to flash images of words like that really fast, like a fraction of a second so it will fill my subconscious with it. Food can also improve vividness, it's not dream steroids, like Cheese will only gives like a 20% boost in vividness so if your vividness is already very low the improvement may seem unnoticeable. But it helps.

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Terramine on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:52 am

Raistlin Majere wrote:*snip*

What followed was a beautiful experience as I flew on the back of a dragon for several minutes before the dream collapsed. It is this experience which inspired me to try and replicate it.

But i am making progress which is what i find most important.
Nice experience there, great example of why Lucid Dreaming is just fantastic. Heck, I'd say even if someone can't control their dreams you just gave a perfect example of the nice experiences I was talking about. Sometimes, your subconscious is so much better at imagining than you are, in which case it will be worth it just to take a ride in dreamtown while lucid.

Do you have a Dream Journal? While I say it's necessary, that's not inherently true, but if someone gave you good very useful advice it can only help. A Dream Journal inevitably leads to improved vividness. As I explained, the more vivid you are the closer you are to "Aha! It's a dream!". Which is also why, you're right, you're progress means you are that much closer.

I personally have gotten stuck though, during a WILD attempt my body becomes completely numb and then no more progress beyond that is made. But from what I hear that means I'm very close, it's probably because I'm too distracted. During a WILD you have to fall asleep, but attain a good bit more awareness than usual. It's so much easier to fall asleep when you just let yourself become completely unconscious lol

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Terramine on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:55 am

Also to Raistlin Majere and anyone else it may concern... if you keep at it, as well optimize your method and see if there is anything to add, etc.

Once you finally invoke a lucid dream, and stabilize it, it can last a looooong time. I brought this up, because Raistlin Majere mentioned their dream collapsing after several minutes. In the dream world there is no real law of physics, only ones you may be imposing yourself due to expectations or other reasons. So time is not linear, as well if you master lucid dreaming you should theoretically control how long dreams last. A mega master, I'm sure would be someone who can make 1 real life second be an in dream hour, etc.

Like a Lucid Guru or something lol

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:09 pm

I've had a lucid dream only once, it was a unique experience. I probably had it because my friend was fascinated with lucid dreaming, and he told me about it. Several weeks later, I had my first (and so far only) lucid dream.

Suddenly I was awake in my dream, but I didn't wake up from sleep. It was like another layer of consciousness. I could feel my body lying on the mattress when I focused on it, yet at the same time, in my dream, I was walking around.

I was also partly able to control my dream. I wanted to see exotic flowers, and so they appeared. I then walked over to check out one of the flowers up close, and it was the most amazing thing.... the amount of detail was astonishing, unlike anything I'd seen before in regular dreams. I could study the patterns on the flower petals, the subtle colour variations, and I couldn't understand how my mind was able to conjure up such detailed images.

Then I realized I could imagine anything I wanted to, and so for some reason I decided I wanted to see a huge jet airplane land on the highway, and it did. Everything was right, the sound that you would expect, the shadow of the plane, the details on it.

And all the while I was still aware that my body was lying on the mattress. Then some time after that, I lost control and slowly slipped back into 'normal' dream state, where things were just happening to me, and I didn't have any control over it.

_________________
"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson
avatar
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Posts : 2960
Join date : 2013-01-08
Location : Probing Uranus

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Terramine on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:50 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:*snip*

And all the while I was still aware that my body was lying on the mattress. Then some time after that, I lost control and slowly slipped back into 'normal' dream state, where things were just happening to me, and I didn't have any control over it.
That's the thing, the details can be "full" as I call them. Unlike the usual where dreams are blurry, out of focus, etc. If you are fully aware, the details are fully there. The brain is more powerful than a supercomputer, yet it's a little squishy grey/pink thing. Those details are easy for the brain to process :P

But yeah, that's the thing. Take my one example, of Commander Shepard fighting Harbinger.

You could be Commander Shepard, literally, see through their eyes, control them, speak with their voice, etc. You'd see in full vivid detail, Harbinger shooting at you, you'd actually need to dodge Harbinger's lasers, etc. You'd feel the experience, hear the experience, see it, smell it... be in it, like it's real life. Even if my example doesn't appeal to someone, just think of any experience that DOES appeal to you... there is no limits.

It's excellent that you know you can control it. Though there is debate among the LD communities about being able to control your dreams... it may be possible to learn how if it seems one cannot do so. To anyone who may have difficulty with controlling in the future or even now, remember this key detail as to HOW I control my dreams: It works like real life, when you imagine something in your head. Remember, in real life your imagination is inside your head so it isn't real. But when in a dream, you are inside a world, that is inside your head. Inside here, your imagination does become reality.

You just have to imagine it and will it.

As for feeling your body, you were very aware it seems. It seems you have great potential, I've never had that happen... I get close, but a weaker form of the feeling you describe is what tells me I can wake up if I want to. Some people cannot stabilize the dreamscape if they fully acknowledge where their body really is, so for you to know outright your body is back on your bed... and at the same time to have such great details while the dreamscape is fully stabilized. You've definitely got high potential. Pretty much everyone can learn to Lucid Dream, just some excel faster than others. You'd likely do very well compared to most, heck you didn't even wake up even after all that! The dream kept on by itself! :D

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Terramine on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:04 pm

Oh hey BTW to everyone, while Lucid Dreaming is rare... due to the lifespan of a human, and the amount of humans, it's still likely for you to have one at least once without trying. Though a good amount of people never have one...

It's like the odds of alien life, it is true that life is extremely rare. However the universe is so vast and has been around for so long, that extremely rare cases like life almost inevitably have happened quite a few times.

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Raistlin Majere on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:09 pm

IronicParticle wrote:
Raistlin Majere wrote:*snip*

What followed was a beautiful experience as I flew on the back of a dragon for several minutes before the dream collapsed. It is this experience which inspired me to try and replicate it.

But i am making progress which is what i find most important.
Nice experience there, great example of why Lucid Dreaming is just fantastic. Heck, I'd say even if someone can't control their dreams you just gave a perfect example of the nice experiences I was talking about. Sometimes, your subconscious is so much better at imagining than you are, in which case it will be worth it just to take a ride in dreamtown while lucid.

Do you have a Dream Journal? While I say it's necessary, that's not inherently true, but if someone gave you good very useful advice it can only help. A Dream Journal inevitably leads to improved vividness. As I explained, the more vivid you are the closer you are to "Aha! It's a dream!". Which is also why, you're right, you're progress means you are that much closer.

I personally have gotten stuck though, during a WILD attempt my body becomes completely numb and then no more progress beyond that is made. But from what I hear that means I'm very close, it's probably because I'm too distracted. During a WILD you have to fall asleep, but attain a good bit more awareness than usual. It's so much easier to fall asleep when you just let yourself become completely unconscious lol

Indeed WILD is not easy. I can attain the numb stage quite regularly and it really is the hard part passing from there into sleep from my experience.

Usually panic is the biggest problem, your brain registering being unable to move an panicking and then it just goes out the window. I also find that the body when going numb will make reflex movement if you are still conscious if you don't suppress it. It really takes time to get a grip on.

A technique I heard about and which helped me is imagining moving up. Whether it be a ladder, rope or just flying. Just running an image of that over and over in your brain keeps your mind active, but because it is the same over and over, your body relaxes. Really helps.

_________________
Heroes get Remembered, but Legends never Die.
avatar
Raistlin Majere
N7

Posts : 1089
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 25
Location : Denmark

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:03 pm

IronicParticle wrote:
DoomsdayDevice wrote:*snip*

And all the while I was still aware that my body was lying on the mattress. Then some time after that, I lost control and slowly slipped back into 'normal' dream state, where things were just happening to me, and I didn't have any control over it.
That's the thing, the details can be "full" as I call them. Unlike the usual where dreams are blurry, out of focus, etc. If you are fully aware, the details are fully there. The brain is more powerful than a supercomputer, yet it's a little squishy grey/pink thing. Those details are easy for the brain to process :P

But yeah, that's the thing. Take my one example, of Commander Shepard fighting Harbinger.

You could be Commander Shepard, literally, see through their eyes, control them, speak with their voice, etc. You'd see in full vivid detail, Harbinger shooting at you, you'd actually need to dodge Harbinger's lasers, etc. You'd feel the experience, hear the experience, see it, smell it... be in it, like it's real life. Even if my example doesn't appeal to someone, just think of any experience that DOES appeal to you... there is no limits.

It's excellent that you know you can control it. Though there is debate among the LD communities about being able to control your dreams... it may be possible to learn how if it seems one cannot do so. To anyone who may have difficulty with controlling in the future or even now, remember this key detail as to HOW I control my dreams: It works like real life, when you imagine something in your head. Remember, in real life your imagination is inside your head so it isn't real. But when in a dream, you are inside a world, that is inside your head. Inside here, your imagination does become reality.

You just have to imagine it and will it.

As for feeling your body, you were very aware it seems. It seems you have great potential, I've never had that happen... I get close, but a weaker form of the feeling you describe is what tells me I can wake up if I want to. Some people cannot stabilize the dreamscape if they fully acknowledge where their body really is, so for you to know outright your body is back on your bed... and at the same time to have such great details while the dreamscape is fully stabilized. You've definitely got high potential. Pretty much everyone can learn to Lucid Dream, just some excel faster than others. You'd likely do very well compared to most, heck you didn't even wake up even after all that! The dream kept on by itself! :D

It happened spontaneously though, I've never actually tried to induce lucid dreaming, maybe I should.

Thing is, I am a very deep sleeper. Most of the time I don't even remember my dreams. It's extremely hard for me to wake up sometimes. My alarm can be ringing for two hours straight, and I don't even wake up. Oh how the neighbours complain sometimes.

Anyway, I have the most vivid dreams when I'm well rested. So I'm guessing if I want to have a lucid dream, I should just avoid being dead tired before going to bed. I remember when the lucid dream happened, it was in the morning. I mostly remember my dreams when I wake up first and then go back to sleep again. That was also the case when I had the lucid dream.

It was bizarre to realize that my body was lying on the matress, yet not to wake up. Because normally when you realize you're dreaming, you wake up, like instantly. (I trained myself to wake up from nightmares when I was a kid - I was plagued by them at the time)

When I woke up 'inside my dream' I realized I was having a lucid dream because my friend had been talking so much about it. And then I remembered he told me it was possible to partly control the dream, and that's what made me try and conjure the exotic flowers.

I just remembered that after seeing the jet plane, I also tried to fly through the air, and I could. Normally when I'm flying in my dreams, somehow I always end up falling down, either because I realize flying isn't actually possible, or somehow my 'magic power' just runs out, and I always end up falling down, but not in the lucid dream. I was actually able to fly like, say, the human torch, by sheer force of will, instead of making swimming movements in the air (which is how I usually fly in dreams). Then when I was back on the ground I found an old, overgrown gas station and went inside to explore. That is where I lost control.

Anyway, I should try and see if I can actually induce having another lucid dream. It's been like 7 or 8 years since it happened.


Last edited by DoomsdayDevice on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson
avatar
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Posts : 2960
Join date : 2013-01-08
Location : Probing Uranus

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Terramine on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:05 pm

Raistlin Majere wrote:

Indeed WILD is not easy. I can attain the numb stage quite regularly and it really is the hard part passing from there into sleep from my experience.

Usually panic is the biggest problem, your brain registering being unable to move an panicking and then it just goes out the window. I also find that the body when going numb will make reflex movement if you are still conscious if you don't suppress it. It really takes time to get a grip on.

A technique I heard about and which helped me is imagining moving up. Whether it be a ladder, rope or just flying. Just running an image of that over and over in your brain keeps your mind active, but because it is the same over and over, your body relaxes. Really helps.
Oh I achieve it literally every time. The first time I ever attempted to WILD my body was slowly moving on it's own... when I gave up and opened my eyes, I was sitting up LOL! That hasn't happened again, I'm going to assume that is what happens when the reflex movements are not controlled at all. Now, I know what you mean... my body twitches randomly like a reflex. But I never thought it was that bad, I mean sure if it distracts you then it will be a problem, but some people usually twitch in their sleep anyways. It's just like swallowing when your mouth is dry, etc. You can move, just keep it to a minimum and try to avoid focusing on it.

The ladder thing, is somewhat along the lines of VILD, you focus on imagining your dreamscape trying to make it so that's the dreamscape you end up in. VILDing is most successful, if you design your dream to invoke a Lucid by placing signs and whatnot. Of course you're trying to WILD... it sounds like it should make a big difference, because some people get stuck at the point of entering the dream, doing what you suggested would be a form of autosuggestion which would make things easier for your brain to figure out... namely, how the dream will start out.

Odds are doing what you suggest will start the dream out in that scenario, like you will start out on a ladder, etc.

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:10 pm

I almost wish I could dream to try this out.
avatar
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Posts : 3094
Join date : 2013-01-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Terramine on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:29 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:*snip*
"Thing is, I am a very deep sleeper. Most of the time I don't even remember my dreams. It's extremely hard for me to wake up sometimes."

This is why a Dream Journal is important and VERY useful. As soon as you wake up, you try your hardest to remember even the smallest detail... and I mean TRY. If you remember ANYTHING, you write it down. In fact simply going to write it down tends to help people remember. Even if you don't remember anything at all, the fact that you tried will tell your subconscious that you WANT to remember and thus it will start deleting less and less information from your dreams.

"Anyway, I have the most vivid dreams when..."

Bingo, that is a well known technique. It's named WBTB, meaning wake back to bed. You wake up, then go back to sleep. This helps all Lucid induction techniques, including WILDing. Naps also have higher success, though they tend to be shorter. Though if you get good at it, as I've said the dreams will be long.

Most people in fact set an alarm, but it seems that can be problematic for you. Usually if you can wake up at the perfect timing, you can go back to sleep right when a shitload of REM cycles will take place.

REM sleep, is the best time to Lucid... which is the Dreaming state. You might want to look into Binaural beats, their frequencies that cause your brain to mimic them to achieve the specific state of consciousness. So you could prepare yourself for REM right before going to sleep, and it may help you remember.

"Because normally when you realize you're dreaming, you wake up, like instantly."

Well that's subjective, most people do wake up but for different reasons. The most common being that it's too intense or/and exciting so they wake up. You overcome this with experience and practice.

"Anyway, I should try and see if I can actually induce having another lucid dream. It's been like 7 or 8 years since it happened."

Just remember, you have to keep up with it. if you ever stop practicing, you will become rusty at it and eventually will be like before you ever made any progress. For some reason people get demotivated to keep up, but really I feel that it doesn't hurt to keep up with it because as I've said, while it's time consuming... it's not really inconvienent at all. eventually you'll get it, and you'll keep getting better and more seasoned. Becoming a "master" of your dreams is practically inevitable, you just need to stick to your routine, which you'll of course be able to find the routine that works best for you.


Last edited by IronicParticle on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:42 pm; edited 3 times in total

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Terramine on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:37 pm

Selim Bradley wrote:I almost wish I could dream to try this out.
Everyone dreams, it's inevitable... everyone experiences the REM sleep cycle.

You don't remember it, at all. Imagine not remember ANYTHING about a single event you do remember, it would be exactly like it never happened. But it did, just because you don't remember it that doesn't mean it didn't happen. A perfect example, is before you were born, you don't remember that right? Because you didn't exist, yet the entire world still existed... yet, if I ask you if you remember the world before you existed, you won't remember at all. In fact, it'll seem to you like the world did not exist beforehand... but it did. It existed for billions of years before.

Anyways, as I told DD, when you can't remember your dreams at all... so much so it seems like you never dreamed, you still did dream. You're brain just erased the dream because it was completely pointless. Plenty of people thought the way you do, they found that when they simply TRY to remember even the smallest detail... even if they still remember nothing at first, they eventually start remembering. In fact, I used to almost never remember my dreams, but trying to remember eventually made it easier and easier. In the morning when you wake up, you should try focusing on remembering your dream as hard as you can. put effort into it, and keep doing it every time you wake up. Eventually you will remember something, and from there you will remember more and more.

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:42 pm

IronicParticle wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:I almost wish I could dream to try this out.
Everyone dreams, it's inevitable... everyone experiences the REM sleep cycle.

You don't remember it, at all. Imagine not remember ANYTHING about a single event you do remember, it would be exactly like it never happened. But it did, just because you don't remember it that doesn't mean it didn't happen. A perfect example, is before you were born, you don't remember that right? Because you didn't exist, yet the entire world still existed... yet, if I ask you if you remember the world before you existed, you won't remember at all. In fact, it'll seem to you like the world did not exist beforehand... but it did. It existed for billions of years before.

Anyways, as I told DD, when you can't remember your dreams at all... so much so it seems like you never dreamed, you still did dream. You're brain just erased the dream because it was completely pointless. Plenty of people thought the way you do, they found that when they simply TRY to remember even the smallest detail... even if they still remember nothing at first, they eventually start remembering. In fact, I used to almost never remember my dreams, but trying to remember eventually made it easier and easier. In the morning when you wake up, you should try focusing on remembering your dream as hard as you can. put effort into it, and keep doing it every time you wake up. Eventually you will remember something, and from there you will remember more and more.
I know I have REM cycles, but that was the problem. I kept getting Traumatic Dreams causing me to have insomnia, so the doctor prescribed me sleeping pills which block it from afecting the rest of my body or something like that.
avatar
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Posts : 3094
Join date : 2013-01-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Terramine on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:49 pm

Selim Bradley wrote:
IronicParticle wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:I almost wish I could dream to try this out.
*snip*
I know I have REM cycles, but that was the problem. I kept getting Traumatic Dreams causing me to have insomnia, so the doctor prescribed me sleeping pills which block it from afecting the rest of my body or something like that.
See, all forms of nightmares... are not there just to torture you. Their your subconscious acknowledging the problems those experiences are creating. It's like a warning to say that it needs to be resolved. Much like pain tells you something is bad for you...

A therapist should technically look into addressing these nightmares. I'm curious about what is so traumatic, but that's not really something you just ask a person to share. But to anyone whom it may concern, keeping your problems locked up in a vacuum is not good. If anyone feels like sharing their dream experiences, this can be one of those reasons why. As I said, feel free to share your dream experiences... bad or good. Or not, just letting everyone know this is one of the reasons I said that.

I have horrible nightmares, have since I was a kid. Just as I've suffered from Severe Depression since I was young. Sharing can help more than people realize.

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Terramine on Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:57 pm

BTW I'm curious:

What is the weirdest dream some of you guys on here have had? I once had a dragon neighbor, I also once was attacked by some crazy fat woman and ended up killing her when my dream self pulled a shotgun out of nowhere lol

The worst dream I've ever had... I don't know if there is a worst one. Most of my nightmares, involve everyone dying in an apocalypse or something. The worst for me is when I see them die in detail. These dreams usually have me wake up crying, especially when for some reason I am the one who killed them either by accident or necessity in a gruesome way O.O

I've interpreted that I'm afraid of the inevitable death of my loved ones, and I am afraid that it will somehow be my fault :l

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Raistlin Majere on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:19 am

IronicParticle wrote:BTW I'm curious:

What is the weirdest dream some of you guys on here have had? I once had a dragon neighbor, I also once was attacked by some crazy fat woman and ended up killing her when my dream self pulled a shotgun out of nowhere lol

The worst dream I've ever had... I don't know if there is a worst one. Most of my nightmares, involve everyone dying in an apocalypse or something. The worst for me is when I see them die in detail. These dreams usually have me wake up crying, especially when for some reason I am the one who killed them either by accident or necessity in a gruesome way O.O

I've interpreted that I'm afraid of the inevitable death of my loved ones, and I am afraid that it will somehow be my fault :l

Weirdest was being Starkiller (from the force unleashed games) in the battle of the Pelenor Fields from Lord of the Rings. Quite epic, but also really weird, especially when zombies started appearing.

As for worst nightmare. Spiders, spiders crawling all over my body and I cannot move or get away...

_________________
Heroes get Remembered, but Legends never Die.
avatar
Raistlin Majere
N7

Posts : 1089
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 25
Location : Denmark

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Terramine on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:27 am

Raistlin Majere wrote:Weirdest was being Starkiller (from the force unleashed games) in the battle of the Pelenor Fields from Lord of the Rings. Quite epic, but also really weird, especially when zombies started appearing.

As for worst nightmare. Spiders, spiders crawling all over my body and I cannot move or get away...
Haha sounds awesome, and weird. As for the spiders, are you Arachnophobic?

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Terramine on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:31 am

Actually, my weirdest by far was more recent... which I mentioned on the main forum before. I was Shepard in ME3, and things were off throughout the whole game... eventually I noticed there was a random green Asari next to the Galaxy map, she just stood there. I told Traynor that the Asari was weird, then all of the sudden the Asari grabbed me, said something really creepy in a Harbinger-like voice and proceeded to bite me. I actually felt it too D:

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:55 am

IronicParticle wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:
IronicParticle wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:I almost wish I could dream to try this out.
*snip*
I know I have REM cycles, but that was the problem. I kept getting Traumatic Dreams causing me to have insomnia, so the doctor prescribed me sleeping pills which block it from afecting the rest of my body or something like that.
See, all forms of nightmares... are not there just to torture you. Their your subconscious acknowledging the problems those experiences are creating. It's like a warning to say that it needs to be resolved. Much like pain tells you something is bad for you...

A therapist should technically look into addressing these nightmares. I'm curious about what is so traumatic, but that's not really something you just ask a person to share. But to anyone whom it may concern, keeping your problems locked up in a vacuum is not good. If anyone feels like sharing their dream experiences, this can be one of those reasons why. As I said, feel free to share your dream experiences... bad or good. Or not, just letting everyone know this is one of the reasons I said that.

I have horrible nightmares, have since I was a kid. Just as I've suffered from Severe Depression since I was young. Sharing can help more than people realize.
Well, Traumatic Dreams are actualy different from nightmares since they are basically a memory rather than a projection like nightmares are. I see a therapist weekly about the reasons why, but don't feel like sharing. I went into a panic attack last time I did so.
avatar
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Posts : 3094
Join date : 2013-01-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Raistlin Majere on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:15 am

IronicParticle wrote:
Raistlin Majere wrote:Weirdest was being Starkiller (from the force unleashed games) in the battle of the Pelenor Fields from Lord of the Rings. Quite epic, but also really weird, especially when zombies started appearing.

As for worst nightmare. Spiders, spiders crawling all over my body and I cannot move or get away...
Haha sounds awesome, and weird. As for the spiders, are you Arachnophobic?

Yes I am Arachnophobic. Not as bad anymore as when I was younger, but even quite small spiders still make me shiver.

_________________
Heroes get Remembered, but Legends never Die.
avatar
Raistlin Majere
N7

Posts : 1089
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 25
Location : Denmark

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Terramine on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:26 am

Selim Bradley wrote:Well, Traumatic Dreams are actualy different from nightmares since they are basically a memory rather than a projection like nightmares are. I see a therapist weekly about the reasons why, but don't feel like sharing. I went into a panic attack last time I did so.
Well it would still apply... your subconscious plays the memory because it's causing serious issues... as a warning to you. It's not doing it to torture you, is all I'm trying to say. Anyways, I didn't think you would, not very many people like to share stuff like that... I've never met anyone who did.

My sister has Traumatic Dreams, she never liked sharing them which is beyond understandable, but one day she decided to share with me and we talked about it. She still gets them after all our talks, but she's way less effected by them because I helped her learn to cope with it to a big degree.

I hope you can have a good life despite the circumstances, you've got friends here cheers

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Terramine on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:43 am

Raistlin Majere wrote:Yes I am Arachnophobic. Not as bad anymore as when I was younger, but even quite small spiders still make me shiver.
I'm Trypophobic, also I'm terrified of things like maggots being under my as well other people's skin.

Trypophobia is a fear of clustered holes, for me it's why I'm irrationally highly afraid of beehives and bees' eyes or butterflies' eyes. Sure butterflies have beautiful wings, but have you ever seen their eyes? Looks similar to a bunch of holes... Horrible man, no joke D:

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Lucid Dreaming

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum