Tomb Raider

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tomb Raider

Post by Terramine on Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:59 am

Discuss the new Tomb Raider here!

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by Lombus on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:09 pm

Well since some people didn't finished the game yet I'm gonna use some spoiler tags when needed.
The game was full of emotion and I absolutely loved how myths and reality clashed together.
Spoiler:
Roth dying was plain sad. I cried and I felt the loss Lara was feeling.It was just like losing her father again.
Mathias was damn insane and an amazing enemy, it was cool finding out his true motivation and the reasons for his madness.
Each of the characters were damn well written, and I connected most with Roth and Sam for different reasons.
I loved the ending...and this might sound weird but I loved the credits too. It showed how much love and passion was there when making the game, and of course it shows everywhere in the game.

The soundtrack was also beautiful Love

_________________
Mass Effect: Strength through diversity.  And victory through unity.

"In our darkest moments, when life flashes before us, we find something. Something that keeps us going. Something that pushes us. When all seemed lost, I found a truth. And I knew what I must become. "
cat Hell Cat  cat
avatar
Lombus
Adjutant

Posts : 559
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 24
Location : Portugal

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by Lombus on Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:36 pm

Lara:"A famous explorer once said, that the extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are. I'd finally set out to make my mark, to find adventure. But instead adventure found me. In our darkest moments, when life flashes before us, we find something. Something that keeps us going. Something that pushes us. When all seemed lost, I found a truth. And I knew what I must become."

Even the first line of the game was epic!

_________________
Mass Effect: Strength through diversity.  And victory through unity.

"In our darkest moments, when life flashes before us, we find something. Something that keeps us going. Something that pushes us. When all seemed lost, I found a truth. And I knew what I must become. "
cat Hell Cat  cat
avatar
Lombus
Adjutant

Posts : 559
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 24
Location : Portugal

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by WeAreHarbinger on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:25 pm

I loved it, really good gameplay, story was alright too.

For me it's GOTY of the year material but all this talk of no SP dlc is a little disappointing. Still i await any sequels they may throw out.

It's one of those games that was graphically stunning yet the gameplay never suffered which is rare.

_________________
Renegade is Red Paragon is Blue Assuming control This hurts you Harbinger
avatar
WeAreHarbinger
Blood Pack Boom-Squad

Posts : 770
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 29
Location : Uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by Lombus on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:27 pm

I didn't really liked the multiplayer feature and I think it was unnecessary. That said I really wished they made some SP DLC's instead.

_________________
Mass Effect: Strength through diversity.  And victory through unity.

"In our darkest moments, when life flashes before us, we find something. Something that keeps us going. Something that pushes us. When all seemed lost, I found a truth. And I knew what I must become. "
cat Hell Cat  cat
avatar
Lombus
Adjutant

Posts : 559
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 24
Location : Portugal

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by WeAreHarbinger on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:44 pm

Never tried the MP either, just didn't appeal to me.

Without SP dlc i feel the game is at a loss. Yes the SP story is good but it had the chance to better that with SP dlc.

_________________
Renegade is Red Paragon is Blue Assuming control This hurts you Harbinger
avatar
WeAreHarbinger
Blood Pack Boom-Squad

Posts : 770
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 29
Location : Uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by skillz1986 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:03 pm

Well, try ro see it like this. While it is kind of disappointing that you'll probably have to wait until the next TR to experience all that awesomeness again, you at least got a complete game (when it comes to sp) for your money. And what a game it was!!!!

_________________
"I know about sacrifice!"
"No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make, loss is a choice made for you."
avatar
skillz1986
Adjutant

Posts : 577
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by RavenEyry on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:30 pm

The good:
-Great graphics and music
-Fun combat
-Good puzzles, though not enough of them

The bad:
-Found the plot to be very predictable. I knew the villains plan from the first hour and the spoiler death Lombus posted was inevitable
-'Tomb Raider' doesn't seem a very appropriate title. 'Island Wanderer' maybe., but that's just nitpicking.

The voice acting was passable.

Overall I rather enjoyed this and am interested in a sequel, but I'm not gonna call it GoTY or anything.
avatar
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Posts : 1702
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 24
Location : Lincoln, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by Terramine on Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:38 pm

RavenEyry wrote:The good:
-Great graphics and music
-Fun combat
-Good puzzles, though not enough of them

The bad:
-Found the plot to be very predictable. I knew the villains plan from the first hour and the spoiler death Lombus posted was inevitable
-'Tomb Raider' doesn't seem a very appropriate title. 'Island Wanderer' maybe., but that's just nitpicking.

The voice acting was passable.

Overall I rather enjoyed this and am interested in a sequel, but I'm not gonna call it GoTY or anything.
Tomb Raider is defined by the fact that it's about Lara Croft. Even if it was about her being trailer trash, doin drugs and getting pregnant a LOT... it would still only make sense to name it Tomb Raider if it's about Lara Croft.

Besides, you raid tombs on the island... sooo yeah.

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by RavenEyry on Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:15 pm

'but that's just nitpicking'
avatar
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Posts : 1702
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 24
Location : Lincoln, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by skillz1986 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:01 pm

http://angryjoeshow.com/2013/03/tomb-raider-angry-review/

Ihave never agreed so much on anything with anyone (well except with lombus...on...well...tomb raider)

_________________
"I know about sacrifice!"
"No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make, loss is a choice made for you."
avatar
skillz1986
Adjutant

Posts : 577
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by Terramine on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:28 pm

skillz1986 wrote:http://angryjoeshow.com/2013/03/tomb-raider-angry-review/

Ihave never agreed so much on anything with anyone (well except with lombus...on...well...tomb raider)
While I don't think the MP can be brushed off as unnecessary, it's a nice addition even if it's not to everyone's tastes. But MP DLC focus is serious fail IMO, because most games will not be online forever. Not that there shouldn't be MP DLC, but it seems to be stealing the spotlight over SP DLC and it's a load of crap.

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by skillz1986 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:25 pm

As i've said. There will be no sp dlc because the game is complete. While i agree that mp dlc focus is a major f-up when it actually DOES the steal the spotlight over sp dlc, it's not the case here. They planned to deliver a complete sp experience and they did. This would also explain why the mp section is certainly lacking. They focused development on sp.


_________________
"I know about sacrifice!"
"No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make, loss is a choice made for you."
avatar
skillz1986
Adjutant

Posts : 577
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by Terramine on Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:57 am

skillz1986 wrote:As i've said. There will be no sp dlc because the game is complete. While i agree that mp dlc focus is a major f-up when it actually DOES the steal the spotlight over sp dlc, it's not the case here. They planned to deliver a complete sp experience and they did. This would also explain why the mp section is certainly lacking. They focused development on sp.

What does the main story line being complete have to do with anything? Ever heard of replaying the game? See as I've said MP will not be played forever, not unless it's a MP where you host the servers like Counter Strike or Minecraft. But people will always be able to play SP, so I don't think it being "complete" means anything towards my point.

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by skillz1986 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:56 am

IronicParticle wrote:
skillz1986 wrote:As i've said. There will be no sp dlc because the game is complete. While i agree that mp dlc focus is a major f-up when it actually DOES the steal the spotlight over sp dlc, it's not the case here. They planned to deliver a complete sp experience and they did. This would also explain why the mp section is certainly lacking. They focused development on sp.

What does the main story line being complete have to do with anything? Ever heard of replaying the game? See as I've said MP will not be played forever, not unless it's a MP where you host the servers like Counter Strike or Minecraft. But people will always be able to play SP, so I don't think it being "complete" means anything towards my point.

It would seem you have no point whatsoever. What does sp dlc have to do with replaying the game? Wanna do it? Go ahead, i'll wait.
If your point was, that sp dlc would add replay value, sure. Should have mentioned it in your post then, instead of claiming that mp dlc would steal the spot light over the (never planned) sp dlc, which makes no sense, since there is no "favouring" of mp dlc over sp dlc.

And because of your claim, i (apparently wrongly ) assumed you felt the sp was lacking and therefore wished for sp dlc. Which is funny because if a company releases sp dlc, you hear gamers from all over "hurr...game incomplete!"
Here a company basically says "the single player campaign is complete, our focus of development was on delivering a polished and complete sp experience, we have accomplished that and therefore do not feel the need to develop sp dlc. The multiplayer bowever could use some additional content to improve quality and experience" and all of a sudden gamers go "well, shit...i want moar dlc". And while i admit that some add on like red dead redemption's "undead nightmare" would've been great, i'm perfectly fine without it.

_________________
"I know about sacrifice!"
"No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make, loss is a choice made for you."
avatar
skillz1986
Adjutant

Posts : 577
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by Terramine on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:17 am

skillz1986 wrote:
It would seem you have no point whatsoever. What does sp dlc have to do with replaying the game? Wanna do it? Go ahead, i'll wait.
If your point was, that sp dlc would add replay value, sure. Should have mentioned it in your post then, instead of claiming that mp dlc would steal the spot light over the (never planned) sp dlc, which makes no sense, since there is no "favouring" of mp dlc over sp dlc.

And because of your claim, i (apparently wrongly ) assumed you felt the sp was lacking and therefore wished for sp dlc. Which is funny because if a company releases sp dlc, you hear gamers from all over "hurr...game incomplete!"
Here a company basically says "the single player campaign is complete, our focus of development was on delivering a polished and complete sp experience, we have accomplished that and therefore do not feel the need to develop sp dlc. The multiplayer bowever could use some additional content to improve quality and experience" and all of a sudden gamers go "well, shit...i want moar dlc". And while i admit that some add on like red dead redemption's "undead nightmare" would've been great, i'm perfectly fine without it.
Polishing the SP is not supposed to be a chore, it's supposed to be like Character design, necessary and inevitable. Which it is also not a reason for them to not make SP DLC. They could just say, they don't want to, instead of coming up with a bullcrap reason. But then again, they don't like to be upfront and say that they'd only SELL you DLC if you allow the game to be incomplete.

Now, I too know what you are talking about. People say left and right that Leviathan and Omega should've been in the game to begin with and therefore ME3 was sold as incomplete. Which is a load of crap.

I also would be perfectly fine with ONLY MP DLC if they'd stop hosting games on their own surveys that they will eventually shut down. At least Bioware made the Armax Arena to replace MP. It's kind of a kick in the nuts to shut down content someone payed for. Basically my point is, if you are going to charge someone for something, it cannot be something you are going to take back later. That's unethical as all hell. Especially in this business, and it's why I freaking hate digital download and DRM.

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by skillz1986 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:27 am

"Polishing the SP is not supposed to be a chore, it's supposed to be like Character design, necessary and inevitable."

Tell that to the countless companies which sold me games with bugs, glitches and game freezes that should have never passed QA.

I definitely agree with you but nearly every major developer did not get the memo.

I mean me3 alone has so many immersion breaking bugs that would make any other game unplayable for me.

_________________
"I know about sacrifice!"
"No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make, loss is a choice made for you."
avatar
skillz1986
Adjutant

Posts : 577
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by Terramine on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:48 am

skillz1986 wrote:"Polishing the SP is not supposed to be a chore, it's supposed to be like Character design, necessary and inevitable."

Tell that to the countless companies which sold me games with bugs, glitches and game freezes that should have never passed QA.

I definitely agree with you but nearly every major developer did not get the memo.

I mean me3 alone has so many immersion breaking bugs that would make any other game unplayable for me.
Some games, polishing would not help. Take Skyrim for instance which they worked on for however many years and it still came out with lots of bugs, though they've fixed most of the ones that have popped up. Also, Bethesda's engines have enough luck to have more comical glitches than game breaking ones.

But the exceptions are not common, you are right the vast majority do not do their job right. I'm not really giving much craps about TR's DLC situation simply because there is much bigger concerns in the gaming industry, I just brought up the technicalities here since this topic is about TR.

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Tomb Raider

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum