[ 16 ]
6% 6% 
[ 3 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 52

Did you like the ending (Poll)?

Post by DSharrah on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:17 am

Thought that we should have a thread to document exactly where people fall with regards to the ending of Mass Effect 3. I find myself slightly on the fence - IF all we get is the literal interpertation I will be greatly disappointed. But IF we somehow see the full realization of all the potential that an IT influenced ending offers - I would be thrilled with the ending.

I went with option 4.

"Does that mean it will kill your smug ass too?"

DSharrah
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Re: Did you like the ending (Poll)?

Post by Lokanaiya on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:31 am

4, because even if the reveal doesn't happen, IT is still there and is still brilliant. However, if Bioware comes out and says the ending was always meant to be literally interpreted, I'm done with both them and EA.
Lokanaiya
Husk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:57 am

Need reveal.
Otherwise its artistic self-wanking.

Back to top Go down

Post by magnetite on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:42 am

The ending is brilliant, because there's so much evidence and little clues spread throughout the ending sequence or the trilogy for that matter that says the ending is an indoctrination attempt.

It's not a traditional ending where you beat the Reapers, followed by a medal ceremony (closure, or some kind of reunion at the end). As much as people are upset this didn't happen (didn't beat the Reapers, yet), that is exactly what they said would happen before the game was released.

This has always been Shepard's story, so at the end Shepard dies along with everyone else (indoctrinated), or Shepard lives along with everyone else. The closure, I guess would be for Shepard, not for the Reapers, as the trilogy has always been referred to "Shepard's story" or "Shepard's story arc", and never "Reaper story" etc.

Although thing is if they actually showed Shepard indoctrinated or others like Miranda as a husk, or Liara as a Banshee, that would probably just scare the living piss out of all the little kids. Probably may cause more anger as well. So, it's probably a good thing they didn't do that.

4, because even if the reveal doesn't happen, IT is still there and is still brilliant. However, if Bioware comes out and says the ending was always meant to be literally interpreted, I'm done with both them and EA.

Link

"We want the content to speak for itself"

As in the ending being an indoctrination attempt was meant to be pretty obvious. They wouldn't directly come out and say Harbinger was trying to indoctrinate Shepard, but that's as close as people are probably going to get.

Bioware has been very subtle, both with the stuff in the game, as well as their Twitter and other comments.
magnetite
Brute

Back to top Go down

Post by DSharrah on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:26 am

magnetite wrote:The ending is brilliant, because there's so much evidence and little clues spread throughout the ending sequence or the trilogy for that matter that says the ending is an indoctrination attempt.

It's not a traditional ending where you beat the Reapers, followed by a medal ceremony (closure, or some kind of reunion at the end). As much as people are upset this didn't happen (didn't beat the Reapers, yet), that is exactly what they said would happen before the game was released.

This has always been Shepard's story, so at the end Shepard dies along with everyone else (indoctrinated), or Shepard lives along with everyone else. The closure, I guess would be for Shepard, not for the Reapers, as the trilogy has always been referred to "Shepard's story" or "Shepard's story arc", and never "Reaper story" etc.

Although thing is if they actually showed Shepard indoctrinated or others like Miranda as a husk, or Liara as a Banshee, that would probably just scare the living piss out of all the little kids. Probably may cause more anger as well. So, it's probably a good thing they didn't do that.

Link

"We want the content to speak for itself"

As in the ending being an indoctrination attempt was meant to be pretty obvious. They wouldn't directly come out and say Harbinger was trying to indoctrinate Shepard, but that's as close as people are probably going to get.

Bioware has been very subtle, both with the stuff in the game, as well as their Twitter and other comments.

Agreed. This is how I feel...although I wouldn't mind a reveal - and I think that I am coming to terms with the fact that it may not be until ME: Next.

DSharrah
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:44 am

Seriously? I was the first (or only) no? The ending would've been fantastic with a reveal, but after a year I'm sick of saying "if/when we get a reveal."

So no. The ending just sucked cock.

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:21 pm

watch angry joes review of mass effect 3, see his reaction to the games ending. Thats pretty much my abiding memory of playing mass effect 3. Well that and the crappy cutscene editing, and the huge plotholes, and the pathetic dialogue, and the 'artistic integrity' bollocks.

Thing is if IT were confirmed i'd be kind of willing to overlook some of that, but not all of it. My guess is that actually they didnt have a fucking clue how to end the game, so just nicked someone elses ending. Completely unforgivable.

letting your main character go out in a whimper like that sucks bollocks.

Back to top Go down

Post by magnetite on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:52 pm

dork wrote:
Thing is if IT were confirmed i'd be kind of willing to overlook some of that, but not all of it. My guess is that actually they didnt have a fucking clue how to end the game, so just nicked someone elses ending. Completely unforgivable.

Who's ending did they rip off? Are we talking about Dues Ex (Control/Merge/Destroy), because that would be taking the ending literally. The actual Dues Ex Machina in this case would be the Crucible, which bails a character out of an impossible situation. Not quite as people see it. Although we haven't used it yet.

I think I mentioned this a while ago that no matter what Bioware does, people will be pissed. If they came out and said the ending is real and there is no indoctrination, then we would be furious, because there's so much evidence to say that it was.

If on the other hand, if they went along with IT, the literalists would start spewing how they ripped off a piece of "fan fiction" and used it as their real ending. Kind of like how some believe that the ending is a straight copy of Dues Ex (face value, not thematically though. Controlling something in that game means you get controlled in this game. Not the same thing).

Just remember this
magnetite
Brute

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:21 pm

still feel utterly shafted by it all.

oh well..... the new gameplay thingymibobbins for battlefield 4 is out so theres that to look forward to i suppose. also Destiny & ESO.

Destiny could be the killer one.

Back to top Go down

Post by magnetite on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:46 pm

Here is another article about why I like the ending. The very last comment (very bottom of the page) in that article explains why the ending is so brilliant.
magnetite
Brute

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwailing on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:26 pm

Here's the thing: I don't hate the endings at this point. In fact, I almost like them. Why? It's because I believe in IT. Now, that may sound simple, but it's really not. I don't believe in IT because I hate the literal endings. Like I said, I'm past that. I think there are FAR too many people who believe in IT simply because they hate the literal endings, and are willing to cling to anything to explain what happened. I believe in IT because I've seen so much evidence that suggests there's more going on than just what we see that I find it impossible to accept the literal endings. The simple fact that we've found so much that is NOT explainable by "badd ryttieng" Chakwruuu tells me that what we're dealing with is more than the clusterfrak of the century.

For example, take the dreams. You can't tell me there wasn't intent there. Maybe it was just to show that Shepard was going through issues, but there were ways they could do that other than oily shadows, creepy whispers, and, oh yeah, a HALLUCINATED KID. Or consider the Carnipredifexator. The morphing of the gun was a bug, but the usage of the Predator SOUND was not. That was added in intentionally, and layered over what was already there. Megumi confirmed it. That's not bad writing, that's intention. Mix that with Shepard being depicted with a Predator during the beam run, and you have something rather interesting. Seriously, these are just the first things that come to mind. There's more. A lot more. That's why I believe it IT. Because the simple fact that we've found so much evidence, and the simple fact that there were people who thought it was indoctrination from the beginning, both suggest to me that we've stumbled upon something big.

Last edited by Restrider on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : You may never use "badd ryttieng" without using :chakwru: !)

Best emoticon ever.  Of all time: Dwail\'s Garrus 

Decision Chamber Hallucination Theory
RWBY/KS Crossover
Dwailing
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by magnetite on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:06 pm

They don't need to have Shepard wake up on Earth and Anderson or one of your squadmates come running over to prove that the ending was indoctrination.

Or something like this where it's blatenly obvious.

There's concrete rubble; you can hear the wind blowing, etc. I never heard the wind blowing when I was on the Citadel. Not even when I was standing there talking to Starbinger the whole time. Not to mention if Shepard inhales at the end, he would need to have oxygen to breathe. There's no oxygen in space. Pretty much says he's been on Earth the whole time.

Oh, and when you were running down the hill towards the beam, the wind was blowing in your face.
magnetite
Brute

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:33 pm

No, they don't need a reveal for it to be IT... They need a reveal for it to not still completely suck, IT or no IT. Shepard is lying nearly dead in rubble in Reaper controlled territory while the combined forces of the galaxies are getting decimated to buy time to use a device that is highly, highly unlikely to even help us, let alone win us the war. Without a real finish, the Reapers have won. Period. Apparently we have a to be continued that isn't going to be continued. The only logical assumption is that everything was for naught.

This ending doesn't just suck. It doesn't just swallow. It fucking gargles. If people are satisfied patting themselves on the back for "figuring it out" (and let's face it, very few people here actually did figure it out on their own) instead of being awestruck in how shitty this trilogy has left us then I think they've got some major self-esteem issues.

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Andromidius on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:52 pm

Article is dated a year ago, before the EC. So yeah, lots of hopes pinned on that... Dashed and destroyed.
Andromidius
Admin

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:00 pm

Rifneno wrote:No, they don't need a reveal for it to be IT... They need a reveal for it to not still completely suck, IT or no IT. Shepard is lying nearly dead in rubble in Reaper controlled territory while the combined forces of the galaxies are getting decimated to buy time to use a device that is highly, highly unlikely to even help us, let alone win us the war. Without a real finish, the Reapers have won. Period. Apparently we have a to be continued that isn't going to be continued. The only logical assumption is that everything was for naught.

This ending doesn't just suck. It doesn't just swallow. It fucking gargles. If people are satisfied patting themselves on the back for "figuring it out" (and let's face it, very few people here actually did figure it out on their own) instead of being awestruck in how shitty this trilogy has left us then I think they've got some major self-esteem issues.

Yep.

London can't be the end, because it's like finishing Lord of the Rings while they're climbing around Mordor, or finishing Harry Potter while Harry Speaks to 'Ghost Dumbledore'.

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:20 pm

Rifneno wrote:No, they don't need a reveal for it to be IT... They need a reveal for it to not still completely suck, IT or no IT. Shepard is lying nearly dead in rubble in Reaper controlled territory while the combined forces of the galaxies are getting decimated to buy time to use a device that is highly, highly unlikely to even help us, let alone win us the war. Without a real finish, the Reapers have won. Period. Apparently we have a to be continued that isn't going to be continued. The only logical assumption is that everything was for naught.

best post in a long long time.

Back to top Go down

Post by magnetite on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:21 am

This doesn't have anything to do with not being able to win, does it? There has been too many games with easy victories and people celebrating or relaxing on a beach when it's all over. This is a war story, and based on what we know about the Reapers, they told this story realistically. Yeah, you may not win, you may have to lose half the galaxy. They did the best they could with the technology they had available. Even their most powerful Thannix missile barely put a dent in that destroyer.

Reapers are millions perhaps billions of years more advanced than us. A lot of people forget that. They just thought that we'd build this device, gather an army, pick the right choice at the end and we'd be guaranteed to win. Not going to be that easy. Reapers aren't even using their full capabilities to destroy us. That's how powerful they are.

I keep saying though, the first trilogy is *not* about the Reapers. It's about Shepard. The conclusion of what happens at the end is about what happens to Shepard, not the Reapers. Either he gets indoctrinated with everyone else, or he wakes up back on Earth. You won't be defeating the Reapers in this trilogy. Maybe the next one.

I mean they said that the game doesn't have a traditional war story ending where you beat the enemy followed by celebrating. Yet, people are mad that the Reapers are still there. Even though they were told this is how the game would end before the game was even released.

So I honestly don't know what to say. People were warned before hand, but may have forgot.
magnetite
Brute

Back to top Go down

Post by spotlessvoid on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:37 am

Magnetite stop apologizing for Bioware with your semantic bullshit
spotlessvoid
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by magnetite on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:59 am

spotlessvoid wrote:Magnetite stop apologizing for Bioware with your semantic bullshit

Whatever. You guys were told this would happen, but you're mad about it. What do people expect them to do? Rewrite the ending for free? Finish the Reaper story, even though that's not what you were sold (Shepard's story again, not the Reaper story)?

People just want me to agree with them (take your side, instead of Bioware's). See, if I did that, we wouldn't be arguing. I've seen this before. I take a different side than someone and they get all mad at me for it. However, if I agreed with the person, then they wouldn't have much of an issue.

You were sold a game with no guarantees, and when it ended, people didn't like it. Kind of like a book with a disappointing finish. They expected Shepard to beat the Reapers, even though it was never about that. It was about his personal conflict with indoctrination. Something along the lines of I'm going to win this war, but I won't sacrifice the soul of our species to do it. Well, pick destroy and you won't sacrifice anything.

People are fine to think the ending was crap. They are fine to think that Bioware sold them out. However, they told the story the way they wanted to. People think because they paid lots of money for it, or invested hundreds of hours, they expect them to fix it, or redo the ending sequence as what they believe they were "promised" by the PR people over at Bioware. Well that's kind of how PR works. They tell you what you want to hear in order to get you to buy the game.

Long story short, if people are that dissapointed, move on. Don't buy any more games from EA or Bioware. Buy from a company which makes full complete games at release which doesn't leave the story hanging at the last minute. Guaranteed though, those companies (eg. Valve) have you wait 5 years between releases though.
magnetite
Brute

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:58 am

spotlessvoid wrote:Magnetite stop apologizing for Bioware with your semantic bullshit

This. Nobody likes a fanboy. I have absolutely no respect for anybody who thinks a "realistic" ending is acceptable here.

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:04 am

magnetite wrote:

Whatever. You guys were told this would happen, but you're mad about it. What do people expect them to do? Rewrite the ending for free? Finish the Reaper story, even though that's not what you were sold (Shepard's story again, not the Reaper story)?

People just want me to agree with them (take your side, instead of Bioware's). See, if I did that, we wouldn't be arguing. I've seen this before. I take a different side than someone and they get all mad at me for it. However, if I agreed with the person, then they wouldn't have much of an issue.

You were sold a game with no guarantees, and when it ended, people didn't like it. Kind of like a book with a disappointing finish. They expected Shepard to beat the Reapers, even though it was never about that. It was about his personal conflict with indoctrination. Something along the lines of I'm going to win this war, but I won't sacrifice the soul of our species to do it. Well, pick destroy and you won't sacrifice anything.

People are fine to think the ending was crap. They are fine to think that Bioware sold them out. However, they told the story the way they wanted to. People think because they paid lots of money for it, or invested hundreds of hours, they expect them to fix it, or redo the ending sequence as what they believe they were "promised" by the PR people over at Bioware. Well that's kind of how PR works. They tell you what you want to hear in order to get you to buy the game.

Long story short, if people are that dissapointed, move on. Don't buy any more games from EA or Bioware. Buy from a company which makes full complete games at release which doesn't leave the story hanging at the last minute. Guaranteed though, those companies (eg. Valve) have you wait 5 years between releases though.
NO, you can keep going on and on mag about how it was ONLY Shepard's story. It's a load of HORSE SHIT and a big FAT ASS LIE on YOUR part. At the very least it's ignorance on you part when it comes to writing and the Hero archetype, etc, etc.

want to quote Bioware? What about the fact that they said that they were going with the Hero archetype? The unbreakable rule of the Hero archetype, is that the Hero never fails their ultimate quest. Not all Heroes need an ultimate quest, but Shepard does in fact have one.. and that's destroying the Reapers.

Where you are getting this whole "realistic war" bullshit from is beyond me. Also, they HAVE lead us on. You can't pretend like they didn't, that they were going to give us a reveal and rap it up. Because they HAVE been leading us on over and over, time and time again.

Now, technically a literalist perspective is a worse offense than breaking the rules and making us play Shepard again in the next game. At best people like me could be "grumpy" about it. But that's ONLY if the next game has Shepard wake up, and we continue playing him from there. NOTHING ELSE could be anywhere near as acceptable, anything else would be outright completely unacceptable. But the thing is, they are NOT showing us that, that is the case. Neigh, they have shown time and time again that's farthest from what their doing. Their SUPPOSED to wrap it up in ME3, the only potential wiggle room is if they do the reveal in ME4 AND make us control Shepard again. But even then, it's quite a bit disappointing on their end, and as I've said there is no reason to think they are even at least doing that much.

Also, you can not have Joker without Batman. You CAN, potentially have Batman without joker but that's it. The hero can only die, if the villain dies.... especially when beating the villain is the ultimate quest. The Hero can sacrifice themselves to beat the ultimate quest, but they cannot fail it.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
Terramine
Destroyer

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:27 pm

magnetite wrote:

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Andromidius on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:32 pm

Companies are free to make crappy endings to their games that spit in the faces of their long term fans.

But they can't expect us to sit there and smile in responce. And they certainly can't expect us to fork out more money at a future date.

I'm actually getting annoyed at myself for buying all their DLC before they proved they deserved it. Hense my current stance - no more Bioware games (not even older ones) and certainly no EA games until they start treating their fans with some respect.

Being insulted on top of having a crappy ending (even one with a tonne of foreshadowing and potential) isn't acceptable. It would take IT, a good sequel and some apologies from higher up Bioware managers to get me back as a loyal customer.
Andromidius
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DSharrah on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:44 pm

Andromidius wrote:Companies are free to make crappy endings to their games that spit in the faces of their long term fans.

But they can't expect us to sit there and smile in responce. And they certainly can't expect us to fork out more money at a future date.

I'm actually getting annoyed at myself for buying all their DLC before they proved they deserved it. Hense my current stance - no more Bioware games (not even older ones) and certainly no EA games until they start treating their fans with some respect.

Being insulted on top of having a crappy ending (even one with a tonne of foreshadowing and potential) isn't acceptable. It would take IT, a good sequel and some apologies from higher up Bioware managers to get me back as a loyal customer.

I get this...don't know if I am quite there yet or not...I do know that I won't be pre-ordering any games any time soon...I just hate that by doing this you cut yourself out of content, but it is what it is.

DSharrah
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Andromidius on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:48 pm

Its harsh, I know. But sometimes you have to make sacrifices to hold onto your principles.

Plus its not like there's any lack of decent games out there.
Andromidius
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top