Bioshock Infinite: Will the circle be unbroken..? *** MAJOR SPOILERS ***

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Bioshock Infinite: Will the circle be unbroken..? *** MAJOR SPOILERS ***

Post by Allynna on Fri May 03, 2013 2:28 pm

Raistlin Majere wrote:
MaximizedAction wrote:About the person's mind being influenced by using a tear:

Before having his hand injured during the fair, he had '77' on it. Then, in the end of the game, when his handbandage is removed, he has an 'AD' branding.

Is this part of the changed perception thing, a new physical manifestation, or maybe even Liz trolling him? ^^

No, he had AD on it from the start. When you move through Columbia for the first time you pass a sign saying the False Sheperd will be identified by his mark, the mark shown beeing AD on the back of a hand. Face this sign and Brooker raises his hand showing clearly the AD mark even as he says, "what the..."

Yeah, it was AD from the start. The number 77 was on that ball you throw at the couple or the asshole who recognise you as the false shepard.

*False Shepard? Really? Laughing *

Husk

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Fri May 03, 2013 2:30 pm

Allynna wrote:
Raistlin Majere wrote:
MaximizedAction wrote:About the person's mind being influenced by using a tear:

Before having his hand injured during the fair, he had '77' on it. Then, in the end of the game, when his handbandage is removed, he has an 'AD' branding.

Is this part of the changed perception thing, a new physical manifestation, or maybe even Liz trolling him? ^^

No, he had AD on it from the start. When you move through Columbia for the first time you pass a sign saying the False Sheperd will be identified by his mark, the mark shown beeing AD on the back of a hand. Face this sign and Brooker raises his hand showing clearly the AD mark even as he says, "what the..."

Yeah, it was AD from the start. The number 77 was on that ball you throw at the couple or the asshole who recognise you as the false shepard.

*False Shepard? Really? Laughing *

Indeed, lol Tongue

Though moving through the opening for the second time I noticed that the statue of Lutece briefly changes to her male counterpart as you approach it and then quickly changes back.

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Allynna on Fri May 03, 2013 2:48 pm

That voice acting always gives me the chills, lol. When Comstock sais "False Shepherd" his "echo" reminds me of Harbinger :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rAm4TV-hBDE#t=480s

Husk

Back to top Go down

Post by MaximizedAction on Fri May 03, 2013 3:23 pm

Wow. I don't know why I forgot that he had AD on his hand from the start.

WTF.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaximizedAction on Mon May 06, 2013 11:49 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Tue May 07, 2013 7:34 am

MaximizedAction:

Yeah, there are some similarities though having actually played both games some of that does not quite match up.

Mostly the Pendleton brothers from Dishonored who are only important for a single mission and can be eliminated without you ever even seeing them. The Lutece "twins" have a bit more of role in the story.

Though Dishonored is a great game which I can highly recommend.

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by MaximizedAction on Tue May 07, 2013 10:17 am

There was a comment on the memebase site suggesting that it's another very abstract version of reality.

Yeah yeah, I know that in-game wise the similarites are very likely merely coincidental, but it's just funny to think of it that way, considering how, for example, both games have the same publisher. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Allynna on Tue May 07, 2013 10:35 am

Maybe Dishonored is just another reality of Bioshock? Laughing

I started Bioshock 1 and for now i am not very happy with my decision. Its scary, there are these freaks coming behind me all the time... :/

Husk

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Tue May 07, 2013 10:44 am

Allynna wrote:Maybe Dishonored is just another reality of Bioshock? Laughing

I started Bioshock 1 and for now i am not very happy with my decision. Its scary, there are these freaks coming behind me all the time... :/

"Always a man, a city and a lighthouse..."

You know, something they missed in that comparison thing, the final level of Dishonored takes place at a lighthouse, just to complete the idea you just threw out into the air. Sure it is different from starting at a lighthouse. But now we got a man, Corvo, a city, Dunwall and a Lighthouse.

And sure Corvo did not create Dunwall, but he is shaping its future and he was possibly doing it before the game even began if what the game hints at is correct...has any of you played Dishonored?

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Allynna on Tue May 07, 2013 11:00 am

I have not played it. Is it good? I am more into games where you can customize your character like Mass effect, now i am also playing Swtor and such. So yeah i dont know how i even started Bioshock Infinite... :)

Husk

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Tue May 07, 2013 11:08 am

Allynna wrote:I have not played it. Is it good? I am more into games where you can customize your character like Mass effect, now i am also playing Swtor and such. So yeah i dont know how i even started Bioshock Infinite... :)

It is really good. Dont expect much from Corvo though, he is a silent protagonist (though not faceless as there is plenty of wanted posters around for him Laughing ) Still though the story hints at some interesting tidbits about him and his relationship to the Empress if you take the time to explore.

But beyond that it is a first person game which can be played in a multitude of ways. You can choose to go in guns blazing or take a stealthy route through the levels and depending on if you were spotted, how many you killed and so forth the game, dialogue and ending changes.

While linear, much like Bioshock: Infinite, it contains some very big and open levels allowing for a ton of different approaches depending on your mind set and powers. To give an example, an early missions tasks you with getting past a light gate, a dangerous contraption which will kill you if you try to pass through.

You can either:
A: Move through the alleys and find a way around the gate
B: Possess a rat and run through a small drainage next to it
C: Leap over the wall using some conveniently placed crates
D: Deactivate or rewire the gate to pass through

In general the game has an interesting setting and a decent story, with some great game play. I recommend it.

Last edited by Raistlin Majere on Tue May 07, 2013 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Allynna on Tue May 07, 2013 5:40 pm

Thanks for the information, it sounds nice. Maybe ill give it a try when i finish Bioshock 1 and 2 :)

Husk

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwailing on Tue May 14, 2013 5:27 pm

You know, this discussion about Bioshock and Dishonored being in the same multiverse actually has something else to support it besides physical similarities. Not only does Dishonored start with a man, a lighthouse, and a city, but you ALSO find the code 0451 at some point in Dishonored (I don't know when since I've never played the game, but I've read Bioshock Infinite's Fridge page and this is something they've brought up) which also appears in Bioshock 1 and Bioshock Infinite. This code is part of a long tradition in gaming starting with System Shock that also includes Deus Ex. Now, I think Deus Ex might ALSO be part of the Bioshock multiverse for two reasons. One, the code 0451 appears in Deus Ex 1 and Deus Ex: Human Revolution (it probably appears in DX: Invisible War, but I believe I haven't found it yet). Two, the original Deus Ex starts with JC Denton getting off a boat on Liberty Island. Why is this significant? Well, the Statue of Liberty used to be a lighthouse. A man, a lighthouse, and, if you count New York, a city. Same pattern once again. Additionally, there are similarities in themes and gameplay between all these games. All are FPSRPGs and all feature powers in some way (Vigors, Plasmids, Augmentations, Powers in Dishonored). I don't know if System Shock 1 or 2 has some kind of space lighthouse, but at this point, I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL. The first door in System Shock opened with the code 451, it was a FPSRPG, and there were power granting cybernetic implants.

Best emoticon ever.  Of all time: Dwail\'s Garrus 

Decision Chamber Hallucination Theory
RWBY/KS Crossover
Dwailing
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Tue May 14, 2013 6:02 pm

Well actually the lighthouse in Dishonored is at the end, not the start, but beyond that one can indeed apply the a man, a city and a lighthouse to it.

But there is an important woman (girl) in Dishonored you have to save and the game hints that Corvo might be much more deeply connected to the Empress than simply being her bodyguard, making his influence on the city not just during the games action but also before.

Though another thing tying those games together is a narrative structure which relies on the gamer guessing, exploring or thinking for themselves as not every part of the plot and story is presented on a silver platter.

A part of Dishonored's lore even mentions the belief that there are other worlds out there, there is even a religion in game dedicated to defending Kirkwall from whatever might come from the void and those other worlds. At to that that the one granting you your powers, the Outsider, very much act like the Luteces in that he appears and leaves when he damn well pleases and the similarities are certainly there.

Last edited by Raistlin Majere on Tue May 14, 2013 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwailing on Tue May 14, 2013 6:05 pm

Raistlin Majere wrote:Well actually the lighthouse in Dishonored is at the end, not the start, but beyond that one can indeed apply the a man, a city and a lighthouse to it.

But there is an important woman (girl) in Dishonored you have to save and the game hints that Corvo might be much more deeply connected to the Empress than simply being her bodyguard, making his influence on the city not just during the games action but also before.

Though another thing tying those games together is a narrative structure which relies on the gamer guessing, exploring or thinking for themselves as not every part of the plot and story is presented on a silver platter.

Exactly. Anderson They aren't the same games, but there're things they have in common that make the possibility of them sharing one multiverse rather likely.

RWBY/KS Crossover
Dwailing
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by lex0r on Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:00 am

https://www.youtube.com/lex0r
"I like to think about the first law of thermodynamics, that no energy in the universe is created and none is destroyed. Every bit of energy inside us, every particle will go on to be a part of something else. And every part of us now was once a part of some other thing."
lex0r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:38 am

So has anyone here played the Burial at Sea DLC?

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Humakt on Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:53 pm

I did, not worth the price tag IMO.

Nightmare

http://www.celestialheavens.com/thundermaps/

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:45 pm

Humakt83 wrote:I did, not worth the price tag IMO.
It was kind of short, but high quality no doubt about that. Kind of on the edge of whether it was worth it. Lots of questions raised by it which I cant wait to have answered and in general I found it interesting. The boss was a bit easy though.

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by shep117 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:32 pm

Just a random thought.

Bioshock Infinite was brilliant the constant and variables theme was not confined to the story only, the way Bioshock Infinite is polar opposite of the original Bioshock not just visually or thematically but even gameplay wise, there were similarities which felt like a bioshock game but at the same time it was so different, constant and variables. The gameplay was similar, the use of plasmid/vigors(constant) but one was slow paced where other is very fast(variables).

I like how bioshock flips your expectation, a damsel in distress situation but the player(Booker) is more in a distress then Elizabeth, I think she is one of the strongest characters out there, Most games even The Last Of Us(which was brilliant) you have a mind set to protect this girl Ellie, Bishock Infinite has similar thing going on but it’s the other way around Elizabeth is the one doing the protection, she is constantly providing you with health, ammo and saving your life constantly and I think she was more stronger then booker the whole time.

The game is pretty fast and flashy at times but some of the subtle details are immense, the way Elizabeth’s dress resembles a little sister’s dress, the relation between songbird and Elizabeth is similar to little sisters and big daddies and how little sisters produce adam and the power for the vigors are siphoned from Elizabeth so in a way they are involved in the production of eve/salt, and we can cumulate these mechanics into Constant and Variables.
shep117
Pyjak

Back to top Go down

Post by Norlond on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:57 pm

http://www.youtube.com/user/Skyzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwailing on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:47 am

This is simultaneously a bad day and a good day for gamers. It's a bad day because we're losing a very large part of a great studio, and I feel for everyone affected. I hope they find good jobs elsewhere, because any studio would be lucky to have former Irrational employees. Maybe BioWare will hire some of their story writers. On the flip side, I think it's a good day because it sounds like Ken Levine really wanted to restructure the studio to better fit his desires. Hopefully he'll be able to make things work. A flatter structure reminds me of how Valve works, so there is that.

RWBY/KS Crossover
Dwailing
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by shep117 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:57 pm

Anyone here played the Burial At Sea Ep 2 ? I thought it was pretty great.
shep117
Pyjak

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:17 pm

I played it Shep.

Good DLC overall but I am not sure I quite agree with the ending. I like how it ties Infinite into Bioshock 1 but beyond that I have some gripes.

Great DLC still though, much longer than the first and with some interesting pieces. Always lovely to see more of Elizabeth and (sort of) Booker.

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by shep117 on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:02 pm

Raistlin Majere wrote:I played it Shep.

Good DLC overall but I am not sure I quite agree with the ending. I like how it ties Infinite into Bioshock 1 but beyond that I have some gripes.

Great DLC still though, much longer than the first and with some interesting pieces. Always lovely to see more of Elizabeth and (sort of) Booker.

The overall dlc was pretty grim, I too liked the way they tied it to Bioshock 1, the moment they showed us the plane I had goosebumps all over. I too have mixed feelings for the ending, I think it suits her character pretty well ( debt paid in full just like booker ) but they put her through so much ( that lobotomy scene ) only to end up that way.
shep117
Pyjak

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top