New IP Project

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which IP Idea?

36% 36% 
[ 5 ]
43% 43% 
[ 6 ]
21% 21% 
[ 3 ]
 
Total Votes : 14

Re: New IP Project

Post by Terramine on Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 10:58

TJBartlemus wrote:
IronicParticle wrote:I think it looks better and has more potential than the other one.

So what does everyone else think of Legacy?
Recap?

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by smokingotter on Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 17:59

IronicParticle wrote:
TJBartlemus wrote:I think Game Maker should be our engine for our first game for the following reasons.

It is really easy to use, doesn't require much to run, and has a ton of potential. They even have software that can span over different platforms.

Just some proof of the potential:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdgQyOIyWPY

However I think that to get the full use of it, we will have to purchase the full version. But it is quite cheaper than all the other engines I have found so far.
I think it looks better and has more potential than the other one.

If game maker doesn't work we can always try Construct 2 https://www.scirra.com/ or use the same engine used to make KS: http://renpy.org/ (if we only wanted to make it pure dialogue)

@IP Here is the Legacy idea:

Premise: "Legacy"

Earth's first interstellar expedition is sent to Alpha Centauri when it's discovered that alien signals are originating from that area of space from planet Alpha 012 that also goes by the name Legacy. You play John/Jane Holt a science officer on the spaceship Promise and are put into cryogenic sleep for the long journey in hopes of first contact with another sentient species.

You wake up years later having crashed landed on the planet in question. The escape pods of your 8 crew members are mysteriously missing. You come out of you ship to find a planet that appears to be torn apart by war.

Your resources are limited. You have to make the right choices to survive. Use your Linguistic Integrated Neural Graphic Operations device to interact with the different species and dangerous animals. Try to reunite with your crew, find out what is happening on Legacy. This game will be heavily dialogue driven.

Edit: teaser image http://imgur.com/xbfj6DN

avatar
smokingotter
Thorian Creeper

Posts : 143
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : College Park, MD

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by smokingotter on Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 18:04

Also there is a gamemaker video tutorial I am using right now on youtube I highly recommend you check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzMNunoPd0o
avatar
smokingotter
Thorian Creeper

Posts : 143
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : College Park, MD

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by Terramine on Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 18:17

smokingotter wrote:
IronicParticle wrote:
TJBartlemus wrote:I think Game Maker should be our engine for our first game for the following reasons.

It is really easy to use, doesn't require much to run, and has a ton of potential. They even have software that can span over different platforms.

Just some proof of the potential:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdgQyOIyWPY

However I think that to get the full use of it, we will have to purchase the full version. But it is quite cheaper than all the other engines I have found so far.
I think it looks better and has more potential than the other one.

If game maker doesn't work we can always try Construct 2 https://www.scirra.com/ or use the same engine used to make KS: http://renpy.org/ (if we only wanted to make it pure dialogue)

@IP Here is the Legacy idea:

Premise: "Legacy"

Earth's first interstellar expedition is sent to Alpha Centauri when it's discovered that alien signals are originating from that area of space from planet Alpha 012 that also goes by the name Legacy. You play John/Jane Holt a science officer on the spaceship Promise and are put into cryogenic sleep for the long journey in hopes of first contact with another sentient species.

You wake up years later having crashed landed on the planet in question. The escape pods of your 8 crew members are mysteriously missing. You come out of you ship to find a planet that appears to be torn apart by war.

Your resources are limited. You have to make the right choices to survive. Use your Linguistic Integrated Neural Graphic Operations device to interact with the different species and dangerous animals. Try to reunite with your crew, find out what is happening on Legacy. This game will be heavily dialogue driven.

Edit: teaser image http://imgur.com/xbfj6DN

I never really understood wanting to contact aliens as fast as possible, it logically makes more sense to wait till we can handle ourselves if things end badly. But I know it's realistic that Humans will try to contact aliens the moment we find out exactly where some are.

I guess I like the idea.

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by TJBartlemus on Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 21:33

smokingotter wrote:

@IP Here is the Legacy idea:

Premise: "Legacy"

Earth's first interstellar expedition is sent to Alpha Centauri when it's discovered that alien signals are originating from that area of space from planet Alpha 012 that also goes by the name Legacy. You play John/Jane Holt a science officer on the spaceship Promise and are put into cryogenic sleep for the long journey in hopes of first contact with another sentient species.

You wake up years later having crashed landed on the planet in question. The escape pods of your 8 crew members are mysteriously missing. You come out of you ship to find a planet that appears to be torn apart by war.

Your resources are limited. You have to make the right choices to survive. Use your Linguistic Integrated Neural Graphic Operations device to interact with the different species and dangerous animals. Try to reunite with your crew, find out what is happening on Legacy. This game will be heavily dialogue driven.

Edit: teaser image http://imgur.com/xbfj6DN


Okay I had some ideas about on how to continue / expand on the premise. (Ps. I think that the characters in game should mainly refer to the planet as Legacy. Mainly cause the official name is a tad tedious to keep refering to. The codex, computers, and officials should be the ones to refer to the planet as it's official name.)

Here is some of the backstory on Legacy. Many years ago there was a civilization named ____ that built itself up over thousands of years and spanned over hundreds of planets. Their society / species is mainly a warrior culture. Being a warrior society drove the species to quickly strive in advances in technology to get an advantage over the other factions. However with this fairly quick advance of technology came with consequences...one of the factions discovered a (chemical / element that naturally occurs in all living things and some rocks) that they could harness that unleashed unimaginable amounts of energy. While this source was naturally self sustaining, the _____ used too much, too quickly. They essentially wiped out all plant life on their planets. It even got to the point where some radicals would harvest their own species just to meet the demand for _____. In a last ditch effort all the remaining factions got together and came up with a contingency plan. Over the years, the _____ had machines that could self replicate that slowly converted their entire home planet into a device that could harvest ____ on a planetary scale and self sustain for the rest of eternity. However with no life to spark this cycle and with time against them, the species all got together on the home planet and went into Cryosleep until new life sparked onto their world. (What was unknown to the species scientists was that the leaders found a way to also be able to use the planet as a giant weapon.)

This is where you come in. (Realize this back story would be slowly revealed throughout the game.) Millions of years later, new life has evolved to repopulate the galaxy. Blah blah Humans discover planet, and go to terraform the planet. Your ship was detected by the planet's auto defenses and brought down on the planet. Your terraform technology was accidentally let loose onto the barren planet. (Some explanation for accelerated terraforming.) Now the ____ are starting to wake up and pose a threat once again to the entire galaxy.

Whatever the civilization is called, it can be made up of many different species much like the Protheans. You could also have a crew that was made up of several species as well.

What do you guys think?
avatar
TJBartlemus
Husk

Posts : 164
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 21
Location : Alaska

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by TJBartlemus on Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 21:49

Also I figure the style of gaming could be something like a Strategy RPG Pokemon style. Dialogue and Battles would appear as detailed / personal. While travel / exploration is similar to early Zelda and Pokemon. It would also be cool to do the dialogue similarly or exactly like in KoToR where you are presented 3 lines of written dialogue to choose from and you have to pick one.

Do you guys get what I'm trying to say? Or am I speaking gibberish? :P
avatar
TJBartlemus
Husk

Posts : 164
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 21
Location : Alaska

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by Terramine on Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 22:16

I am going to wait to see what otter thinks before I say anything, I'm curious what he has to say.

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by smokingotter on Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 23:09

First of all TJ some great ideas.

To be honest when I first started reading I kept thinking at the beginning "this sounds like the plot to FF7" where you are fighting against an evil corporation that is harnessing the planet's life force/essence.

I don't know what kind of sci-fi we want to aim for: science fiction (star trek/mass effect) or science fantasy (star wars). This plot sounds kind of like a hybrid of the two. For example this same planet life force could be used/discovered by the protagonist to harness new abilities/spells.

As for the threat to the entire galaxy, how about just a threat to Legacy?

When I came up with the idea of Legacy I pictured a planet like you said filled with different factions representing the different species. In a way I pictured it as a microcosm of the mass effect galaxy sans council to mediate things. A planet torn apart by continual warfare (like Fallout New Vegas).

I really like the contingency plan. Maybe some parts of each faction knew the planet was FUBAR and worked in secret to come up with a solution but their efforts were undermined by mistrust and escalating conflict.

I don't want it to be some heartless planet though. The main player will hopefully get to see the other side of a planet:

1. People trying to get by on a planet that's dying.
2. A mother trying to escort her daughter through a war torn city
3. Leaders of some of the factions weary of war but wary of peace

Some of the atrocities that mirror history on earth in some ways. Will Holt be a catalyst (I know that's a dirty word) for peace or help one faction dominate the power of Legacy.

Legacy, it's their planet but is it our future?

My thoughts on the matter. Thank you TJ.





avatar
smokingotter
Thorian Creeper

Posts : 143
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : College Park, MD

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by TJBartlemus on Wed 10 Apr 2013 - 23:38

smokingotter wrote:First of all TJ some great ideas.

To be honest when I first started reading I kept thinking at the beginning "this sounds like the plot to FF7" where you are fighting against an evil corporation that is harnessing the planet's life force/essence.

I don't know what kind of sci-fi we want to aim for: science fiction (star trek/mass effect) or science fantasy (star wars). This plot sounds kind of like a hybrid of the two. For example this same planet life force could be used/discovered by the protagonist to harness new abilities/spells.


I like the idea of defining our own Sci-fi genre. However I think that leaning a tad closer to the Science Fiction side of things would be better. I intentionally left blanks for names...mainly cause I can't think of any creative ones... :P



As for the threat to the entire galaxy, how about just a threat to Legacy?

When I came up with the idea of Legacy I pictured a planet like you said filled with different factions representing the different species. In a way I pictured it as a microcosm of the mass effect galaxy sans council to mediate things. A planet torn apart by continual warfare (like Fallout New Vegas).


I think that the game (and consequently the threat / conflict) should center around Legacy, yes. However as the game progresses, the game implies that there may be bigger things going on and at the end there is the revelation that the threat is WAY bigger that thought. However the last part is only given to the audience. The actual characters would still be ignorant to the bigger picture. They would be led to believe that the conflict is over, while instead things are just getting started. (Something like a large scene of many many many more cyro pods than what was believed to be.) And for things to imply that an ex. could be that a scientist could be like..."...the stats don't make sense. To run a planet wide system like this, it would require many more bodies than what we have seen."

I also forgot to mention, that to keep systems going for years, the planet is harvesting minute amounts of the mystery element / chemical to keep functioning.



I really like the contingency plan. Maybe some parts of each faction knew the planet was FUBAR and worked in secret to come up with a solution but their efforts were undermined by mistrust and escalating conflict.


I like this. Many possibilities lore wise. :P



I don't want it to be some heartless planet though. The main player will hopefully get to see the other side of a planet:

1. People trying to get by on a planet that's dying.
2. A mother trying to escort her daughter through a war torn city
3. Leaders of some of the factions weary of war but wary of peace

Some of the atrocities that mirror history on earth in some ways.


I like this idea too. Just how it is presented would have to be debated. From what you are alluding to is that some people weren't saved in the cryopods along with the others and found some way to survive. I think that it should be many generations later, and the species have evolved many different ways. Technologically, they are still in the Dark Ages. They barely make it day by day. Harvesting what they can from ruins.

I believe I'm fine with this idea.



Will Holt be a catalyst (I know that's a dirty word) for peace or help one faction dominate the power of Legacy.

Legacy, it's their planet but is it our future?

My thoughts on the matter. Thank you TJ.


I like the idea of Holt being the one to decide the future of Legacy. Thanks. :P It was in a moment of inspiration for me.

Some other idea's I would like to contribute is that the appearance should be mono-gendered. Something like a space suit. Saves much more work later on with programming. Story wise, do you feel that there should be a choice between genders? If so we would have to do 2 versions of the same script. Though it would be minor changes...things like he to she. So it possibly may be easier that thought.

avatar
TJBartlemus
Husk

Posts : 164
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 21
Location : Alaska

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by Terramine on Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 14:11

I like these ideas, but what seems weird is that factions would still be awake and fighting... what exactly would "wake up" so to speak when the terraforming tools hit? Or did you guys toss that out? 1 possibility is to toss that idea out.

But another possibility, and to expand on the idea that the threat is galaxy-wide. What if there is like a VERY advanced species that met their assumed end on this planet. The different factions were below the rank of this hyper advanced race and the different factions had rebelled against the race. The factions did this long ago, long enough to actually forget quite a few details.

For example, they could all be wondering why non-intelligent life is so non-sustainable, some of them think it may be the fighting and wars that have happened that caused it. Some might think it's sabotage, and some think it's the power source. But whatever the case nobody really knows why it's so hard to get non-intelligent life like plants to sustain itself.

Human shows up and BAM, terraforming tool wakes up hyper advanced race. Reminding the races why they were fighting in the first place and that they in fact did something to reduce the life on the planet to avoid waking the race up.

Just a random idea...

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by smokingotter on Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 18:23

IronicParticle wrote:I like these ideas, but what seems weird is that factions would still be awake and fighting... what exactly would "wake up" so to speak when the terraforming tools hit? Or did you guys toss that out? 1 possibility is to toss that idea out.

But another possibility, and to expand on the idea that the threat is galaxy-wide. What if there is like a VERY advanced species that met their assumed end on this planet. The different factions were below the rank of this hyper advanced race and the different factions had rebelled against the race. The factions did this long ago, long enough to actually forget quite a few details.

For example, they could all be wondering why non-intelligent life is so non-sustainable, some of them think it may be the fighting and wars that have happened that caused it. Some might think it's sabotage, and some think it's the power source. But whatever the case nobody really knows why it's so hard to get non-intelligent life like plants to sustain itself.

Human shows up and BAM, terraforming tool wakes up hyper advanced race. Reminding the races why they were fighting in the first place and that they in fact did something to reduce the life on the planet to avoid waking the race up.

Just a random idea...

IP I think part of the confusion in the first part is two different ideas between me and TJ about what the situation would be for the species(s) on Legacy. I think a better question to help resolve this is what do we want Holt/player to encounter initially when he/she wakes up Legacy. Is Legacy at peace because everyone is asleep or in a state of conflict or something in between with what IP said that the dominant species is asleep that left kind of a power vacuum on the planet.

I was thinking first alien Holt encounters is saved by the player's actions and helps to be a guide and offer some exposition to Holt/player about what is going on in Legacy.

Also I don't see any reason why we can't hijack the abandoned dark energy plot angle from Mass Effect. Maybe the dominant race on Legacy got wiped out by a much more powerful alien race because of the immense amount of dark energy pollution the dominant race on Legacy was producing. Maybe dark energy is why a war torn planet like Legacy can still function but the energy production is on idle. The Promise crew activate by accident the dark energy engine that keeps the planet alive and wakes up what was left of the dominant race on Legacy pouring gasoline on an already fragile situation.

Sorry don't know if any of that makes sense.
avatar
smokingotter
Thorian Creeper

Posts : 143
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : College Park, MD

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by smokingotter on Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 18:42

I e-mailed Shaun Spalding the guy who does the gamemaker tutorial videos I linked above asking him if gamemaker was good for our project he wrote this:

"I actually get asked this quite a lot. Yeah it's definitely possible. You could do it but it's pretty complicated and not really a good beginner project. That said if you're set on that kind of game and you're beginners I'd recommend something like RPG Maker. It can do literally everything in FF6 no problem. And it's set up specifically for doing so."

Some of the games made with rpg maker:
Dreamscape
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgo4LVhlNRY&feature=player_embedded#!

Eternal Eden (which might be released on 3DS!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCNcAf6ujHQ

Either way we still have time, I get my paycheck next week so I can get us a copy of whatever we decide Smile
avatar
smokingotter
Thorian Creeper

Posts : 143
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : College Park, MD

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by TJBartlemus on Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 21:13

smokingotter wrote:

IP I think part of the confusion in the first part is two different ideas between me and TJ about what the situation would be for the species(s) on Legacy. I think a better question to help resolve this is what do we want Holt/player to encounter initially when he/she wakes up Legacy. Is Legacy at peace because everyone is asleep or in a state of conflict or something in between with what IP said that the dominant species is asleep that left kind of a power vacuum on the planet.

I was thinking first alien Holt encounters is saved by the player's actions and helps to be a guide and offer some exposition to Holt/player about what is going on in Legacy.

Also I don't see any reason why we can't hijack the abandoned dark energy plot angle from Mass Effect. Maybe the dominant race on Legacy got wiped out by a much more powerful alien race because of the immense amount of dark energy pollution the dominant race on Legacy was producing. Maybe dark energy is why a war torn planet like Legacy can still function but the energy production is on idle. The Promise crew activate by accident the dark energy engine that keeps the planet alive and wakes up what was left of the dominant race on Legacy pouring gasoline on an already fragile situation.

Sorry don't know if any of that makes sense.

When I was writing my idea I imagined that all sentient life on the planet would have been put to cryosleep before the arrival of the humans. And when the ship releases the terraforming technology onto the planet, the planet detects life growing on a massive scale and starts the process of waking up this ancient race. However I see your point on how this may just look like a us vs. them situation, and you might want it to be far more indepth than that.

So I could agree we go with an in between approach with this. Pretty simple fix I think.

Holt wakes up and explores the wreckage. He walks outside and then gets alerted by his LINGO that there is an incoming ship. He looks up and see's a crashing ship. Soon...he gets to the ship and discover's that the ship was a colony ship / scout ship, but from another species. He rescues some, and finds out that many other species have tried to scout out the planet before but have never come back.

Holt then discovers more survivors from various ships / species have come together and have been barely surviving on what rations that they have left.

Holt goes around. Does some stuff. Starts to see the effects of the terraforming happening. Then the antagonist starts showing up. Conflict...etc. At various times Holt find's his crew mates. (Perhaps he finds some immediately when he discovers the shanty town.)

Being as there will be various other cultures/species, I feel the antagonist should mainly be 1 species. Arrogant and believe they are the apex of evolution. There would be various classes of the antagonist but they should all be the same species.
avatar
TJBartlemus
Husk

Posts : 164
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 21
Location : Alaska

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by TJBartlemus on Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 21:15

smokingotter wrote:I e-mailed Shaun Spalding the guy who does the gamemaker tutorial videos I linked above asking him if gamemaker was good for our project he wrote this:

"I actually get asked this quite a lot. Yeah it's definitely possible. You could do it but it's pretty complicated and not really a good beginner project. That said if you're set on that kind of game and you're beginners I'd recommend something like RPG Maker. It can do literally everything in FF6 no problem. And it's set up specifically for doing so."

Some of the games made with rpg maker:
Dreamscape
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgo4LVhlNRY&feature=player_embedded#!

Eternal Eden (which might be released on 3DS!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCNcAf6ujHQ

Either way we still have time, I get my paycheck next week so I can get us a copy of whatever we decide Smile

Either way, I'm fine with whatever we use. However I feel we should listen to the guy and use RPG Maker. :P
avatar
TJBartlemus
Husk

Posts : 164
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 21
Location : Alaska

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by Terramine on Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 22:20

smokingotter wrote:
IronicParticle wrote:*snip*

IP I think part of the confusion in the first part is two different ideas between me and TJ about what the situation would be for the species(s) on Legacy. I think a better question to help resolve this is what do we want Holt/player to encounter initially when he/she wakes up Legacy. Is Legacy at peace because everyone is asleep or in a state of conflict or something in between with what IP said that the dominant species is asleep that left kind of a power vacuum on the planet.

I was thinking first alien Holt encounters is saved by the player's actions and helps to be a guide and offer some exposition to Holt/player about what is going on in Legacy.

Also I don't see any reason why we can't hijack the abandoned dark energy plot angle from Mass Effect. Maybe the dominant race on Legacy got wiped out by a much more powerful alien race because of the immense amount of dark energy pollution the dominant race on Legacy was producing. Maybe dark energy is why a war torn planet like Legacy can still function but the energy production is on idle. The Promise crew activate by accident the dark energy engine that keeps the planet alive and wakes up what was left of the dominant race on Legacy pouring gasoline on an already fragile situation.

Sorry don't know if any of that makes sense.
Yeah that's what it felt like, 2 different ideas. Hence why my idea was a random spitball of how to actually combine the 2 ideas. I like the potential this game has to show how likely it is for a species to fall and face extinction. That's how things are, even now IRL we face the threat of someone using nukes and thus screwing everything over. Which is also why I like the fact that you also want to show the other side of life.

There is the side that is easy to fall into, destruction and despair.

But then there is the harder path, forged in this vast endless darkness called the universe. The light, creation and prosperity.

I feel like there needs to be a place for this theme. Simply because it's the one challenge we have to overcome in real life to move onward.

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by smokingotter on Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 22:29

IronicParticle wrote:
smokingotter wrote:
IronicParticle wrote:*snip*

IP I think part of the confusion in the first part is two different ideas between me and TJ about what the situation would be for the species(s) on Legacy. I think a better question to help resolve this is what do we want Holt/player to encounter initially when he/she wakes up Legacy. Is Legacy at peace because everyone is asleep or in a state of conflict or something in between with what IP said that the dominant species is asleep that left kind of a power vacuum on the planet.

I was thinking first alien Holt encounters is saved by the player's actions and helps to be a guide and offer some exposition to Holt/player about what is going on in Legacy.

Also I don't see any reason why we can't hijack the abandoned dark energy plot angle from Mass Effect. Maybe the dominant race on Legacy got wiped out by a much more powerful alien race because of the immense amount of dark energy pollution the dominant race on Legacy was producing. Maybe dark energy is why a war torn planet like Legacy can still function but the energy production is on idle. The Promise crew activate by accident the dark energy engine that keeps the planet alive and wakes up what was left of the dominant race on Legacy pouring gasoline on an already fragile situation.

Sorry don't know if any of that makes sense.
Yeah that's what it felt like, 2 different ideas. Hence why my idea was a random spitball of how to actually combine the 2 ideas. I like the potential this game has to show how likely it is for a species to fall and face extinction. That's how things are, even now IRL we face the threat of someone using nukes and thus screwing everything over. Which is also why I like the fact that you also want to show the other side of life.

There is the side that is easy to fall into, destruction and despair.

But then there is the harder path, forged in this vast endless darkness called the universe. The light, creation and prosperity.

I feel like there needs to be a place for this theme. Simply because it's the one challenge we have to overcome in real life to move onward.

I agree I mean hope should be a major theme to the plot also cooperation. Also choice, I mean choices that matter. In other words I hope we won't have Udina be the human councilor in "Legacy 3" type of thing Cool
avatar
smokingotter
Thorian Creeper

Posts : 143
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : College Park, MD

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by TJBartlemus on Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 23:01

smokingotter wrote:
IronicParticle wrote:Yeah that's what it felt like, 2 different ideas. Hence why my idea was a random spitball of how to actually combine the 2 ideas. I like the potential this game has to show how likely it is for a species to fall and face extinction. That's how things are, even now IRL we face the threat of someone using nukes and thus screwing everything over. Which is also why I like the fact that you also want to show the other side of life.

There is the side that is easy to fall into, destruction and despair.

But then there is the harder path, forged in this vast endless darkness called the universe. The light, creation and prosperity.

I feel like there needs to be a place for this theme. Simply because it's the one challenge we have to overcome in real life to move onward.

I agree I mean hope should be a major theme to the plot also cooperation. Also choice, I mean choices that matter. In other words I hope we won't have Udina be the human councilor in "Legacy 3" type of thing Cool

Not really 2 different ideas really...Otter provided the premise/idea (effectively a blank slate sorta). All I did was give a potential backstory. :P

Well, thinking about it, theme wise I could see how you guys can think that. That's just all part of the writing process I guess. We bounce ideas off each other and slowly shape the story that has all of our influences in it in the end.

I like the idea of showing some of what caused the antagonist to fall to where they are, but I would also still like to capture the mysticism / mystery that can capture the audience and make them WANT to play. I mean, that's what got me sucked into ME and Halo. The mysticism of the Reapers and the Flood, made me crave to see more every time I played. It captured my imagination as well.

I also would like to mention I absolutely agree that choice should matter. :P
avatar
TJBartlemus
Husk

Posts : 164
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 21
Location : Alaska

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by Terramine on Thu 11 Apr 2013 - 23:58

TJBartlemus wrote:
Not really 2 different ideas really...Otter provided the premise/idea (effectively a blank slate sorta). All I did was give a potential backstory. :P

Well, thinking about it, theme wise I could see how you guys can think that. That's just all part of the writing process I guess. We bounce ideas off each other and slowly shape the story that has all of our influences in it in the end.

I like the idea of showing some of what caused the antagonist to fall to where they are, but I would also still like to capture the mysticism / mystery that can capture the audience and make them WANT to play. I mean, that's what got me sucked into ME and Halo. The mysticism of the Reapers and the Flood, made me crave to see more every time I played. It captured my imagination as well.

I also would like to mention I absolutely agree that choice should matter. :P
Well actually otter supplied his idea too, aside from the basic outline. So there was 2 somewhat conflicting ideas. And you are right, that's how the process goes. And not always are you supposed to combine ideas, but I feel like that's what should be done in this circumstance.

So themes and important things:

Hope
Co-operation
Choices that matter
Mysterious enemy <--- Expanding on this, aside from mysticism the Reapers when first introduced felt unique and intimidating. I think the antagonist should not be dumbed down, they need to be formidable.

_________________
Life is chaos itself. Organisms appear and evolve as a mere byproduct of thermodynamics.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
avatar
Terramine
Destroyer

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2013-01-09
Age : 23
Location : USA

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by smokingotter on Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 0:34

@TJ it sounds kind of like the way you put it Legacy is kind of like the Bermuda triangle. Legacy attracts other races like humanity but no one ever comes back?
avatar
smokingotter
Thorian Creeper

Posts : 143
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : College Park, MD

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by TJBartlemus on Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 11:01

smokingotter wrote:@TJ it sounds kind of like the way you put it Legacy is kind of like the Bermuda triangle. Legacy attracts other races like humanity but no one ever comes back?

Essentially, yeah. Why should humanity be the only ones to have discovered the signal? :P It also puts it into perspective for the crew too. Sorta like how the First Contact in Mass Effect put it into perspective for humanity.

Ships go to the planet that emanates the signal and their ships are disabled. The survivors are effectively stranded. So no one has made it back yet. But there is nothing to say they cannot ever. Maybe they all have been working on getting all the non-broken parts and have been putting them into 1 ship as an attempt to leave the planet. Perhaps they find some tech from inside the planet that can help repair a ship? Or even, they can hijack a ship from the ancient race. Who knows?
avatar
TJBartlemus
Husk

Posts : 164
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 21
Location : Alaska

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by TJBartlemus on Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 11:07

To incorporate your idea, perhaps not all the survivors had the same idea / couldn't agree, and thus became several factions. While some factions maintain a political standpoint, other factions are just straight up savage. So on top of survival, there are also mini wars popping up all over the place.

So in this way, we can have both ideas. :P
avatar
TJBartlemus
Husk

Posts : 164
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 21
Location : Alaska

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by TJBartlemus on Fri 12 Apr 2013 - 19:56

So...I thought it would be a cool idea to get someone to draw up some concept art. (And perhaps a logo too.) Do you guys know anyone who would be interested in doing that?

UPDATE:

Here is a checklist of all the things that needs/should be done this weekend.

- Concept Art
- Official Logo for the Company
- Work on the Story: Universe, Characters, Beginning, and End
- Create summary to describe to prospective people interested

Optional

- Find a source for funding
- Recruit more people
avatar
TJBartlemus
Husk

Posts : 164
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 21
Location : Alaska

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by smokingotter on Sat 13 Apr 2013 - 22:52

If any of you have g-mail I can create a document that we can all see edit for collective writing. My g-mail is smokingotter@gmail.com

E-mail me and I can send you the rpg maker code I bought it tonight so I think I can get it installed on three computers.
avatar
smokingotter
Thorian Creeper

Posts : 143
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : College Park, MD

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by TJBartlemus on Sun 14 Apr 2013 - 12:53

smokingotter wrote:If any of you have g-mail I can create a document that we can all see edit for collective writing. My g-mail is smokingotter@gmail.com

E-mail me and I can send you the rpg maker code I bought it tonight so I think I can get it installed on three computers.

Okay. I just emailed you. :P
avatar
TJBartlemus
Husk

Posts : 164
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 21
Location : Alaska

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by TJBartlemus on Tue 16 Apr 2013 - 21:52

Well. Trying the RPG Maker out. :P I like it a lot. Really easy to use, and is much better than starting from scratch.
avatar
TJBartlemus
Husk

Posts : 164
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 21
Location : Alaska

Back to top Go down

Re: New IP Project

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum