If you played the trilogy for the first time, would you include Citadel DLC in that playthrough?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

If you played the trilogy for the first time, would you include Citadel DLC in that playthrough?

Post by Restrider on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:40 pm

The title says it really.
I convinced my brother to play the trilogy and so far he seems to enjoy it. He is right now at the end of ME2 and soon I will have to decide whether I recommend him to play with Citadel DLC or not.

Personally I don't think that it will work --- like at all. I remember having a really driven, rushed and even desperate feeling during my first playthrough. And this feeling fits perfectly for a galactic invasion of genocidal machines.
And then, after the Coup, having had to leave Earth, seeing Palaven burn and maybe even after the fall of Thessia there comes this DLC that is even mocked by ingame dialogue at the beginning of the game?

I am tending more to tell him about Citadel DLC after he finished the game.
Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Re: If you played the trilogy for the first time, would you include Citadel DLC in that playthrough?

Post by BlueLogic on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Restrider wrote:The title says it really.
I convinced my brother to play the trilogy and so far he seems to enjoy it. He is right now at the end of ME2 and soon I will have to decide whether I recommend him to play with Citadel DLC or not.

Personally I don't think that it will work --- like at all. I remember having a really driven, rushed and even desperate feeling during my first playthrough. And this feeling fits perfectly for a galactic invasion of genocidal machines.
And then, after the Coup, having had to leave Earth, seeing Palaven burn and maybe even after the fall of Thessia there comes this DLC that is even mocked by ingame dialogue at the beginning of the game?

I am tending more to tell him about Citadel DLC after he finished the game.

I agree completely. The Citadel DLC in particular seems to be designed for those who've already seen what is to come, and need something to numb the pain. I can't imagine it making any sense whatsoever to someone on their first play through.
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Re: If you played the trilogy for the first time, would you include Citadel DLC in that playthrough?

Post by Restrider on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:52 pm

BlueLogic wrote:

I agree completely. The Citadel DLC in particular seems to be designed for those who've already seen what is to come, and need something to numb the pain. I can't imagine it making any sense whatsoever to someone on their first play through.

That makes me somewhat sad.
To cite an interesting movie:
"It was right in everyone's face. XYZ and I just made it visible. It was on the tip of everyone's tongue. XYZ and I just gave it a name."

Citadel DLC is just totally misplaced in the trilogy. The fact that they even brag about the huge amount of variables (more than the entirety of Kotor) in that DLC, while the DLC does not fit into the main game at all and the endings remain as they are, is embarassing.
If I play a game with all the content (i.e. GOTY with all DLCs), I want it to be coherent and not wobbly and free of any kind of logic. Of course the DLCs in ME2 should be played in a certain time window (for instance playing Overlord after the SM with Shepard giving the STFU to TIM is a bit weird), but it was never such a glaring misplacement Citadel DLC is.
And the worst is not that Citadel DLC can be played, where it makes nearly no sense in regards to the rest of the story. No...
it can ONLY be played where it makes no sense in regards to the rest of the story...

Last edited by Restrider on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:53 pm

Yes, for alts.

No, for main.
1.Play Trilogy
2.Pick any of the endings, whatever 'fits' him
3.Do Citadel DLC
4.Continue game and pick High EMS destroy, and wonder why there's green in my red ending ;)

Back to top Go down

Post by Restrider on Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:55 pm

SwobyJ wrote:Yes, for alts.

No, for main.
1.Play Trilogy
3.Do Citadel DLC
4.Continue game and pick High EMS destroy, and wonder why there's green in my red ending ;)
That's the way I'll tell him to do it, I suppose.
Btw, would you suggest EC or OC?
I tend more to OC, however, you would also miss Omega and Leviathan. Both DLCs that actually enrich the story.
Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Restrider wrote:
SwobyJ wrote:Yes, for alts.

No, for main.
1.Play Trilogy
3.Do Citadel DLC
That's the way I'll tell him to do it, I suppose.
Btw, would you suggest EC or OC?
I tend more to OC, however, you would also miss Omega and Leviathan. Both DLCs that actually enrich the story.

I take everything.

I only say 'don't do Citadel on first run' because I consider it a bit of a 'rewind'.

Because I consider Mass Effect to be in Shepard's bleeding out mind. Largely real events tho. Tinfoil Hat Citadel is just a refuge mostly away from the terror elsewhere.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:02 pm

I wouldn't recommend Citadel on a first playthrough. It severely disrupts the pace and desperate feel of the game.

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedingUranium on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:23 am

DoomsdayDevice wrote:I wouldn't recommend Citadel on a first playthrough. It severely disrupts the pace and desperate feel of the game.

I agree. And EC sucks, and will likely make him not be able to figure out the ending the first time, so never have that. Have Leviathan and Omega, but save Citadel for replays. And make sure he does Leviathan after the AY Monastery mission.
BleedingUranium
Thresher Maw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:29 am

Just to add a variance in here, yes they should play it with their first time. In fact, let us know how they react. It'll be good to hear a review from someone who doesn't know the endings yet.
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Andromidius on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:48 am

Leviathan/From Ashes, definately.

Omega, maybe.

Citadel, no.

EC, never install it.
Andromidius
Admin

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by BansheeOwnage on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:35 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:I wouldn't recommend Citadel on a first playthrough. It severely disrupts the pace and desperate feel of the game.
+1. I was actually having the same debate, wondering if I should have that in if my dad ever plays it. I'm going with a no.

banSHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEE - Norlond
BansheeOwnage
Banshee

Back to top Go down

Post by Restrider on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:04 pm

So, how is it with EC?
Afaik, you get the slideshows even if you only install Leviathan. I'm not sure though. I've just heard that it is nearly impossible to have the "good" DLCs that came after EC (Leviathan/Omega) without getting parts of the EC installed as well (i.e. slideshows)?
Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:02 am

Well see this is the problem, I always try to keep my family from playing the trilogy simply because I'm afraid that they will agree that IT is taking place and then they won't have their reveal. But if I was going to do it, to be honest? I'd say yes and it's for all the reasons you guys treat as reasons for the opposite. Same for the EC, Leviathan and Omega.

The game by itself has beyond compelling evidence. But I've never gotten the attitude towards the EC. Because it adds even more evidence, as well I love how it expends on the shady feeling you get from the endings. It tells you Bioware's priorities, that on the surface it's fan service but in reality it is an IT supporting DLC. As well, Leviathan adds more IT tidbits and Omega is actually good for determining which ending choice you'd make.

Citadel is out of place, it has loads of 4th wall breaking stuff, loads of IT and ending foreshadowing. As well loads of stuff that are dream-like, and loads of things that seem like they are there as a last measure to make sure you will catch on. I pretty much feel how people around here tend to when it comes to ME2 DLC especially Arrival, basically it adds to the experience. Without it, you are not getting the full IT experience.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
Terramine
Destroyer

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top