Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theorists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dark Souls

+3
Raistlin Majere
RavenEyry
BlueLogic
7 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Dark Souls - Page 3 Empty Re: Dark Souls

Post by BlueLogic Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:48 pm

Hrothdane wrote:Dark Souls - Page 3 E38
I could watch that for hours.  I'd love to just see this guy go get his mail.  Too funny.

Also, I stumbled upon this and it just struck me as hilarious:
Dark Souls - Page 3 Rainy-images-funny
I can't really explain it.
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:34 pm

Hrothdane wrote:As an interesting note on Dark Souls (and Demons' Souls as well), much of the universe and visual design is inspired by the manga Berserk http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Manga/Berserk?from=Main.Berserk. Berserk is one of the longest running mangas in Japan, and has been an underlying influence on games for years, but Demons' Souls and Dark Souls are particularly influenced by the style and tone of Berserk. The game director (as well as myself) are admitted fans of the manga, so the references are probably intentional.
I highly recommend the manga to anyone that is okay with the mature content. The violence and sexual content are usually graphic, but it's purposefully used to create tone and intensity. I recommend skipping the first couple volumes because Guts can be pretty damn unlikeable in them when the author was still finding the character (and his artstyle), but once the extended flashback starts in the end of the third volume and he has some character development, he really becomes a great character. You also trade a sense of foreboding for a stronger twist by skipping the first three volumes.

Here's a link to the manga, starting from where I recommended: http://www.mangareader.net/96-1123-171/berserk/chapter-3.html
Thanks for the links and info.  I plan to read the manga when I get a chance.  I'd been vaguely aware of the series since I got into anime back...wow, 15 years ago(!).  I haven't seen it myself, but I was wondering if you'd seen it and what your thoughts were on that version.  There seems to be a classic series and new "Golden Age Arc" story.  I assume the latter is an adaptation of the former.  Or is it a continuation?  Anyway, it looks like a very interesting series.  Thanks for bringing up the links to DS!
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Hrothdane Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:51 pm

BlueLogic wrote:
Hrothdane wrote:As an interesting note on Dark Souls (and Demons' Souls as well), much of the universe and visual design is inspired by the manga Berserk http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Manga/Berserk?from=Main.Berserk. Berserk is one of the longest running mangas in Japan, and has been an underlying influence on games for years, but Demons' Souls and Dark Souls are particularly influenced by the style and tone of Berserk. The game director (as well as myself) are admitted fans of the manga, so the references are probably intentional.
I highly recommend the manga to anyone that is okay with the mature content. The violence and sexual content are usually graphic, but it's purposefully used to create tone and intensity. I recommend skipping the first couple volumes because Guts can be pretty damn unlikeable in them when the author was still finding the character (and his artstyle), but once the extended flashback starts in the end of the third volume and he has some character development, he really becomes a great character. You also trade a sense of foreboding for a stronger twist by skipping the first three volumes.

Here's a link to the manga, starting from where I recommended: http://www.mangareader.net/96-1123-171/berserk/chapter-3.html
Thanks for the links and info.  I plan to read the manga when I get a chance.  I'd been vaguely aware of the series since I got into anime back...wow, 15 years ago(!).  I haven't seen it myself, but I was wondering if you'd seen it and what your thoughts were on that version.  There seems to be a classic series and new "Golden Age Arc" story.  I assume the latter is an adaptation of the former.  Or is it a continuation?  Anyway, it looks like a very interesting series.  Thanks for bringing up the links to DS!

The old series and the current movies cover the same storyline. They both cut off at literally the most incredibly depressing place to stop lol. I've seen the first movie so far, and the opening shows characters that don't get introduced until far after the arc shown in the movies, so I'm assuming that the movies  are setting the stage for a proper adaptation of the rest of the series.
Hrothdane
Hrothdane
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:15 pm

Hrothdane wrote:
BlueLogic wrote:

The old series and the current movies cover the same storyline. They both cut off at literally the most incredibly depressing place to stop lol. I've seen the first movie so far, and the opening shows characters that don't get introduced until far after the arc shown in the movies, so I'm assuming that the movies  are setting the stage for a proper adaptation of the rest of the series.

Ah, ok. Well I may pick up the newer versions then, as they are quite a bit easier to get a hold of from what I can tell. Thanks again!
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Hrothdane Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:52 am

BlueLogic wrote:
Ah, ok.  Well I may pick up the newer versions then, as they are quite a bit easier to get a hold of from what I can tell.  Thanks again!

No problem. I've seen the first movie so far, and it's good, but it does cut out a bit. It hits all the important notes, but the pacing felt a little rushed to me. I have no idea how someone that is not familiar with the source material already would feel.
Hrothdane
Hrothdane
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by lex0r Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:28 pm

Dark Souls - Page 3 012EE375F27912C90A5CC01345F0EC5115482C94
lex0r
lex0r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:47 pm

lex0r11 wrote:*snip*

LOL that's awesome.
It probably took me 2 minutes of gathering my courage to engage that thing the first time.
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:31 pm

So, I've been around DS enough to know to expect overpowered invaders when running around in human form at early levels.  You've seen them yourself, of course.  The guy running around in Dark Armor wielding an electrified shotel and using a dark hand as a shield.  This guy's been through a good portion of the game, while maintaining his low level just so he can invade noobs and push them around.  

They are a minor annoyance, really, but I always assumed they were just immature players looking to inflate their sense of self worth by picking up easy kills.  Last night I reconsidered this position.  

So I'm running a new character through the Undead Parish, and I'd just done my "run up the side stairs to the archers and jump over the metal pig before the gate closes" routine, so I'm feeling quite pleased with myself at this point.  Then I get an invasion notice.  Ah well, I'll probably lose, but it's always fun to face off in honorable combat against a fellow Dark Souls player.  I'll just open this portcullis before I forget and...what the hell?  The guy tried to back stab me while I'm working the lever?  

So already the opponent has confirmed and solidified his "asshole" bona fides.  Luckily the lever animation caused him to fail his attempt at...cancel that, landed back stab shortly thereafter.  While he's withdrawing the claymore from my torso, along with 99.7% of my life bar, I can't help but notice the Crown of the Dark Sun he's wearing.  Ok, so I'm about to lose to "one of those guys".  Whatever.  

I manage a quick double roll away and get off an estus.  He seems to have made a misstep as he's turned around and moving away.  Why is he...lowering the gate??  What kind of sadistic P.O.S. does that??  I mean, I've been through here thirty times, it's no big deal to me, but had this been done to me when I first started playing I...does this guy just want to make people cry or something?

Anyway, rather than wallow in speculation on the mental state of such a person, I decided to dedicate my next build to beating the hell out of players like this.  Level 30 Daughter of Chaos in Gold-Hemmed Black set wielding +5 Chaos Uchigatana and +5 Ascended Pyromancy Flame.  My plan is to skip killing the Gargoyles and hang around the parish offering my services as a white phantom all while waiting to be invaded.  Should be good fun.
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:02 pm

So I watched "Protecting our Homeland" by jblackmel on YouTube, and it inspired me to make a couple of new themed characters.  This, in turn, inspired me to take some screens and share them.  

Artorias of the Abyss:
Spoiler:

Victorious Tarkus arrives in Anor Londo:
Spoiler:

Izalith Welcoming Committee:
Spoiler:
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:37 pm

I have always liked themed characters in Dark Souls even if they are not 100% efficient. It gives you something to work towards and a style to master, but I also like to imagine the soul of the one who wielded it before in a sense lives on in the player.

At least for me running a themed build leads to some unconscious roleplay and epic scenes.

Running a Knight Artorias theme and finishing of Manus as well as the Four Kings feels incredibly satisfying, like I finished his journey for him. Though on the other hand killing Sif in a full Artorias set feels plain evil.

Protecting the Forest as a Forest Hunter while in full Lord's Blade Ciaran set makes me feel like I am protecting the grave of Artorias, her fellow knight and possibly someone she loved going by her desire to have his soul and her final words.

Invasions and team ups can become something quite...epic as well, like when I as full Artorias set helped a Knight Soliare themed player defeat Ornstein and Smough or when I get invaded by a Darkwraith, facing him down as the Abysswalker.

In a sense the fact that you can acquire the characters weapons and armor down to the last detail really makes the characters live on in the player I guess, in a way I rarely see.
Raistlin Majere
Raistlin Majere
N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hrothdane Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:08 am

Dark Souls - Page 3 B96
Hrothdane
Hrothdane
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:46 pm

That is an amazing picture of the coolest dog on the planet.

Thought this would be humorous for those who've played:
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:04 pm

BlueLogic:

Heh that video is awesome.

On another note I finally got my Dark Souls for PC working properly, so now I can enjoy the wonders of mods...not that there are a whole lot of interesting ones for Dark Souls, mostly retextures.

However that can be fun enough as I am currently playing through the game dressed as Link and wielding the Master Sword and Hylian Shield. Quite funny :)
Raistlin Majere
Raistlin Majere
N7

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:14 pm

DARK SOULS II

Wow, it's almost here.  Just 5 more days for the console release.  I, as one of the proud noble and esteemed members of the PC master race, will patiently await the arrival of our own superior version on April 25th.  (Totally untrue:  patience is not something I'm blessed with, and I'll be writhing in agony trying to avoid the tempting spoiler videos all over youtube)

Anyway, while I wait, I'm curious who among you plan to pick this up and what preliminary character ideas you're considering.  I realize it's somewhat hard to plan too much as many details about the systems are still somewhat murky, but in broad strokes, what kind of character will you be taking through Drangleic?

Personally, after hearing that you can now parry while wielding a weapon with 2 hands, I'm going to attempt to recreate one of my favorite characters I used in Neverwinter Nights.  A katana wielding lass who depended on offensive power, disarming the opponent, and speed over armor.  It's obviously too early to determine which way to go for covenants, but the way of blue (placeholder name?) looks like it would be a lot of fun, and suits my tastes for player interaction.
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:57 pm

Will this PC version be more than a straight up port? I cannot get into Dark Souls 1 because of being so keyboard unfriendly.

Even the flipping prompts on screen were in xbox buttons.
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:29 am

Yeah, I required a 360 controller to play on PC last time. KBM was just impossible.

The good news is they've developed the PC version in parallel with the consoles for DS2. The extra dev time being spent on PC is being used (at least in part) to nail down KBM controls. Let's hope it works out!
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolioThane Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:53 pm

Nownow Blue, I'll be playing DS2 on my 360 come Friday and I will enjoy it as much as you on PC :P
CoolioThane
CoolioThane
Space Cow

http://www.achievementhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:34 pm

LOL, yeah, I was kidding about all that "master race" stuff. Gotta find something to make yourself content with having to wait while others enjoy what looks to be an amazing game :)

Also, my machine is nearly six years old, and compares closely to a 360, so my experience won't be anything superior to yours anyway. In fact, just looking at the amazing lighting in the game makes me nervous for the ol' gal. Hope she can run it decently!

Any preliminary plans for your first character?
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:10 pm

I wonder if steam controllers will work on dark souls once they're out? Might be an excuse to get one...
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:41 am

I am getting it for console, mostly because I need to share with my brother who does not have a PC which can run Dark Souls II.

I am planning on running a dual wield build from the get go, but if it is anything like Dark Souls I will end up making a million different builds. Magic builds, fast builds, tank builds, weapon specific builds, ect.

I loved the customization and variety of weapons In Dark Souls, hopefully this will be no different.
Raistlin Majere
Raistlin Majere
N7

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolioThane Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Planning on a normal sword and shield with bow combo! I never use magic in fantasy games on my first go
CoolioThane
CoolioThane
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:11 pm

DS2 on PC launches in t-minus 1 hour 48 minutes! WOOOOOOOO!
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolioThane Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:51 am

I'm very much enjoying Dark Souls 2 (on the 360). Beaten the first boss and having a great time with it
CoolioThane
CoolioThane
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:07 pm

I'm wondering if I should start the series here. Should I?

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:34 am

CoolioThane wrote:I'm very much enjoying Dark Souls 2 (on the 360). Beaten the first boss and having a great time with it
Awesome :)
SwobyJ wrote:I'm wondering if I should start the series here. Should I?
I don't think there's a need to have played DS1 at all prior to 2. Go for it!
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next