Dark Souls

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Dark Souls

Post by Raistlin Majere on Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:59 pm

SwobyJ wrote:I'm wondering if I should start the series here. Should I?

It is certainly not a necesity to have played DS1 and indeed DS2 is easier on new players, easing you a bit better into the game instead of just throwing you off the deep end.

You will likely miss some references to the DS1 lore as the stories are intertwined on some level, but in the large whole it is not needed.

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:47 pm

Okay! I can't get it now, but it may be on the wishlist for this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolioThane on Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:28 pm

Just took on the Belfry gargoyles single handedly whilst hollowed. Ended up taking on 5 at once, despite reading afterwards the max is apparently 4 (no, i definitely fought five lol).

The single greatest thing I've done in a video game. So much pride when I beat the last one down! loving DaS2

http://www.achievementhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:22 pm

CoolioThane wrote:Just took on the Belfry gargoyles single handedly whilst hollowed. Ended up taking on 5 at once, despite reading afterwards the max is apparently 4 (no, i definitely fought five lol).

The single greatest thing I've done in a video game. So much pride when I beat the last one down! loving DaS2

Max you can fight at once is 6. Each Gargoyle spawns at a certain point in their combined health bar from my experience so if one damages each gargoyle without finishing them, more will start to spawn.

But gratz on that kill, the gargoyles certainly gave me some trouble the first time around and the key you can get in the area beyond them makes a later boss much easier.

Question though, have you fought the Smelter Demon yet?

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolioThane on Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:05 pm

No, I've only beaten the Last Giant, Pursuer, Ruin Sentinels, Dragonrider, Old Dragonslayer and the Gargoyles (in that order). Can't decide whether to do No Man's Wharf or Sinner's Rise next

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic on Fri May 02, 2014 7:11 pm

Nice work on the gargoyles!  

I've apparently missed something in my play through.  I've done those you listed up to the Gargoyles, but have no idea where I'd need to go to get to them.  I've been going in all different directions heheh.  Got through sinner's rise, the wharf, been to Havest valley, Earthen peak, Shaded Woods...all over the place.  No clue how to get to the belfry.  I may have to check the wiki.  *slaps himself for even thinking about that*

I'm really loving this game though.  The exploration is amazing both in the splendor of each area, and the adrenaline it induces with the feeling of danger.  My biggest fear though, is that I'm missing something obvious all the time.  I went hours and hours without realizing where the blacksmith's key was.  Even the herald escaped my notice for quite a while, and I knew to look for her!  But, those facepalm moments can be fun too.  

My biggest hindrance to progress, however, is probably my desire to take in all the game systems.  I've restarted a couple of times just to try out magic casting, or dual wielding, or a two handed str build.  Then I royally screwed my main by respecing and completely forgetting to put any extra points into dex.  I can't effectively wield my upgraded weapons.  Pro plays for sure.

Now I'm working on a pure caster with tons of attunement, int, and faith. My hp is sitting at less than 700 thanks to a Northern Ritual Band that gives me more castings at the expense of health. Hexes seem pretty strong, and there are some nice sorceries that really screw with the enemy, but I've found miracles to be the hardest hitting of the bunch, at least for my character.

Anyway, love to hear others having fun with this game too!

Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Fri May 02, 2014 8:25 pm

BlueLogic wrote:Nice work on the gargoyles!  

I've apparently missed something in my play through.  I've done those you listed up to the Gargoyles, but have no idea where I'd need to go to get to them.  I've been going in all different directions heheh.  Got through sinner's rise, the wharf, been to Havest valley, Earthen peak, Shaded Woods...all over the place.  No clue how to get to the belfry.  I may have to check the wiki.  *slaps himself for even thinking about that*

I'm really loving this game though.  The exploration is amazing both in the splendor of each area, and the adrenaline it induces with the feeling of danger.  My biggest fear though, is that I'm missing something obvious all the time.  I went hours and hours without realizing where the blacksmith's key was.  Even the herald escaped my notice for quite a while, and I knew to look for her!  But, those facepalm moments can be fun too.  

My biggest hindrance to progress, however, is probably my desire to take in all the game systems.  I've restarted a couple of times just to try out magic casting, or dual wielding, or a two handed str build.  Then I royally screwed my main by respecing and completely forgetting to put any extra points into dex.  I can't effectively wield my upgraded weapons.  Pro plays for sure.

Now I'm working on a pure caster with tons of attunement, int, and faith.  My hp is sitting at less than 700 thanks to a Northern Ritual Band that gives me more castings at the expense of health.  Hexes seem pretty strong, and there are some nice sorceries that really screw with the enemy, but I've found miracles to be the hardest hitting of the bunch, at least for my character.

Anyway, love to hear others having fun with this game too!

he Gargoyles are in the Lunar Belfry, accessed through the Servants Quarters of the lost bastille (it is a Bonfire). Go down the ladder in the room and you will find a Pharros lock which will open the path to the Belfry. The Belfry itself is a PvP area where you might be invaded, though not during the boss fight.

I am also making a ton of different builds, currently working on a Mundane Santiers Spear / Hex user.

Santiers Spear is a peculiar weapon. When one finds it it is horrible. Slow swings, high weight, no scaling, low damage. Only good part is its 500 durability. If one breaks the weapon however it transforms, losing 6.00 weight and becoming much faster without losing damage. It also becomes unbreakable.

The main part though is its move set which changes to incorporate attacks from Spears, Halberds, Twinblades and Curved Swords making it very versatile. It still has low damage though that is where Mundane comes in.

Mundane is an Infusion (a type of upgrade unlocked through a key item later in the game). Mundane is the most guide dang it of these infusions, seemingly halving base damage and scalings with no return, however it adds a very peculiar scaling to the weapon as well without telling you. The weapon now scales on ones lowest stat.

Imagine if you have a character with 20 in all stats except one which is on 10. For each point in that 10 stat, the Mundane weapon gets 6-7 extra damage or around 60-70 bonus all in all. This continues until the 10 stat reaches the other stats, that is 20, upon which you would need to upgrade all stats to get another bonus.

It makes it a peculiar upgrade to use and its scaling falls after 20, making any low stat above that less useful, but just having all stats at 20 gives a scaling of around 120 bonus damage to the mundane weapon. This is no matter the weapon making rapid attack weapons in Mundane builds insanely powerful. Add a weapon buff like Magic weapon or Dark weapon on top for even more power.

I am then using my 20 Int and 20 Faith for hexing and once I finish getting all stats to 20 I will continue to upgrade Faith for more hexes and use spices to lower int requirements.

Beyond that I have a "Fuck You" Tank build for PvP. Massive health and large weapons packed behind heavy armor. The real trick lies in my choice of shield and chest armor though. My shield is highly resistant to all types of magic and my armor makes me immune to back stabs. Added to that i have two rings who counter with knives and small explosions when i take damage and some Pyromancy sprinkled in. The idea is that I tank through spells and punish quick hitters or back stab fishers while I bring my large weapons down upon their heads.

I love Dark Souls 2 :)

Quick question, has anyone here who played Dark Souls 1 met Pate?

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic on Fri May 02, 2014 8:58 pm

Trusty Pate? ;)

Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Fri May 02, 2014 9:50 pm

BlueLogic wrote:Trusty Pate?  ;)

Well that depends on how one views it. From Software is trolling us from what I have pierced together so far.

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic on Fri May 02, 2014 10:10 pm

Hmm, so he may not be "trusty".  I've still got my eye on him.  

That mundane infusion sounds very interesting.  What an odd concept.  Sounds like it would make for a versatile and fun character though.

My next build will definitely be a tank.  I followed your directions to the belfry Luna and nearly got one shotted by the Lollipop Guild.  Thanks for the tip!  :)

Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic on Sat May 03, 2014 1:52 am

Any good character builders out there yet?

Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Sat May 03, 2014 7:02 am

BlueLogic wrote:Any good character builders out there yet?

Dedicated Hex builds are incredibly powerful glass cannons which I see from time to time, but beyond that I see a lot of variety in the PvP. Dual wielding builds, heavy armor builds, even whips are useful under the right circumstances. I am really liking it and at least there is no giant dad build constantly showing up.

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic on Sat May 03, 2014 7:23 am

Raistlin Majere wrote:

Dedicated Hex builds are incredibly powerful glass cannons which I see from time to time, but beyond that I see a lot of variety in the PvP. Dual wielding builds, heavy armor builds, even whips are useful under the right circumstances. I am really liking it and at least there is no giant dad build constantly showing up.

Excellent to hear. Yeah, I've really been enjoying all the variety. Though, I meant to ask if there were any good sites like https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/ that were up and running for DS2 where you can plan out a build. mugenmonkey's own DS2 calculator is non functional at the moment.

Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Sat May 03, 2014 11:29 am

BlueLogic wrote:
Raistlin Majere wrote:

Excellent to hear.  Yeah, I've really been enjoying all the variety.  Though, I meant to ask if there were any good sites like https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/ that were up and running for DS2 where you can plan out a build.  mugenmonkey's own DS2 calculator is non functional at the moment.  

Ah, no sorry I don't know any websites like that

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolioThane on Sat May 03, 2014 12:44 pm

Am loving Dark Souls 2. I was wary of Pate Creighton told me he was trying to kill him, but then Cale just told me Cray-something was a killer who escaped prison in Mirrah. I'm more trusting of Cale so I'm on Pate's side at the moment. He really reminded me of Patches though

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Sat May 03, 2014 2:23 pm

CoolioThane wrote:Am loving Dark Souls 2. I was wary of Pate Creighton told me he was trying to kill him, but then Cale just told me Cray-something was a killer who escaped prison in Mirrah. I'm more trusting of Cale so I'm on Pate's side at the moment. He really reminded me of Patches though

It is exactly why I mentioned that I think From Software is trolling us. Pate is very like Patches in many ways and as such will appear naturally suspicious to anyone coming from the older Souls games. However it may be deeper than so as there is one thing I have found near the end of the "quest" involving Pate and Creig that does not quite rhyme.

Obviously I wont spoil though.

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic on Mon May 05, 2014 4:26 pm

So I went over to the dark side this weekend.  

After attempting the Belfry Luna gargoyles...maybe 20 times, I was beaten down.  Tail fully tucked, I swore as I turned away I would never degrade myself to such a level as to participate in the disgusting savagery and dishonorable tactics on display by those Bell Keeper assholes.  

So off to Earthen Peak I went with my sword and board heroine.  Luck was with me (along with many many white and gold phantoms), and I plowed my way straight up to the Smelter Demon.  Two hours later, that soreness in my rear had returned, and the Smelter Demon stood unscathed.  I realized I needed upgrades...badly.  Which really meant I needed titanite, and a whole truck load of it.  But...how??

I broke down and checked the wikidot page.  

MMmhhhmmm, dull ember, right...light torch...sells unlimited large shards...perfect!  But that only gets me to...so I need chunks.  Where can I...what's this???  

EACH INVASION??   Shocked 

But...I'd have to...   No 

Unlimited supply of titanite chunks.    Twisted Evil

Two hours later I found myself backstabbing an unwary tresspasser in belfry sol as he attempted to deflect attacks from my brother Keeper.  At first I felt dirty...like I'd lost something important that I'd never be able to reclaim, but it's amazing how thoroughly a pocket full of titanite chunks and a +9 uchigatana can assuage the feeling of guilt and dishonor.

Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Mon May 05, 2014 7:36 pm

Haha I know that feeling.

I don't feel particularly guilty about invading through the Belfry's mostly because I split my time between invading and beeing the one getting invaded (as a way to test my skills). I mostly do this on the tank build I mentioned.

Have you found the Ember in the Iron Keep? It is a pretty important key item.

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic on Mon May 05, 2014 9:03 pm

I did manage to snag that thanks. Though as glad as I was to finally get the ember, my enjoyment of entering melee range with that archer was far greater. ;)

I have officially played the hell out of the first portion of Iron Keep. I've never been on an area so long that the enemies start disappearing. At this point, I can walk to the Smelter Demon with no hassle aside from the occasional arrow.

I may have to use an ascetic on the bonfire though. The knights never dropped a sword for me. I WANT that sword.

Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolioThane on Mon May 05, 2014 9:50 pm

Be warned if you use an ascetic the boss respawns and becomes stronger and stuff (sometimes with allies)

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Tue May 06, 2014 2:00 pm

BlueLogic wrote:I did manage to snag that thanks.  Though as glad as I was to finally get the ember, my enjoyment of entering melee range with that archer was far greater.  ;)

I have officially played the hell out of the first portion of Iron Keep.  I've never been on an area so long that the enemies start disappearing.  At this point, I can walk to the Smelter Demon with no hassle aside from the occasional arrow.

I may have to use an ascetic on the bonfire though.  The knights never dropped a sword for me.  I WANT that sword.

I know that feel. Wanted two for my dual katana character, but only got 1 in an entire clear. Off course the moment I move through on my Mundane weapon build I get two without even trying.

Also just beat Dark Lurker, possibly the hardest of the game's optional bosses :)

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic on Tue May 06, 2014 2:42 pm

CoolioThane wrote:Be warned if you use an ascetic the boss respawns and becomes stronger and stuff (sometimes with allies)

Thanks for the heads up! That was certainly not part of my plan lol.

Raistlin Majere wrote:I know that feel. Wanted two for my dual katana character, but only got 1 in an entire clear. Off course the moment I move through on my Mundane weapon build I get two without even trying.

Also just beat Dark Lurker, possibly the hardest of the game's optional bosses :)

Of course! Ha, that's rough. Dark Lurker sounds a lot like Manus. Relation?

Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Tue May 06, 2014 5:11 pm

BlueLogic wrote:

Of course!  Ha, that's rough.  Dark Lurker sounds a lot like Manus.  Relation?

Possibly. Not so much in looks, Dark Lurker has a very angel like look surprisingly but in terms of where it is encountered, description of its soul and one other part of the game I cant spoil, it is likely related to Manus.

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolioThane on Tue May 06, 2014 9:40 pm

God damn just managed to beat the Dark Lurker. What an absolute bitch that is for a melee build. After about six/seven attempts I managed to beat her in about a minute and half by using my claymore to knock her to 50% then used two Chaos Storms in a row which totally destroyed them. Felt so good when that 'Victory Achieved' thing popped up

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Wed May 07, 2014 7:55 am

CoolioThane wrote:God damn just managed to beat the Dark Lurker. What an absolute bitch that is for a melee build. After about six/seven attempts I managed to beat her in about a minute and half by using my claymore to knock her to 50% then used two Chaos Storms in a row which totally destroyed them. Felt so good when that 'Victory Achieved' thing popped up

Pretty much my strategy, expect with Fire Tempest instead of Chaos Storm. Also was slightly unlucky as it was still alive after the two Tempests which mean I had to hit it twice, just barely surviving.

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top