Are you cool with the idea of IT being "revealed" in ME4? (Poll)

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you think it is okay for IT to be "revealed" in ME4?

49% 49% 
[ 33 ]
22% 22% 
[ 15 ]
16% 16% 
[ 11 ]
12% 12% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 67

Re: Are you cool with the idea of IT being "revealed" in ME4? (Poll)

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Tue May 07, 2013 7:17 pm

MovieMachine wrote:
Dwaling wrote:I've invested enough of my time in this that I really don't care how IT is revealed as long as it's done well.

It seems like the 14-month period of frustration and ambiguity has really drained people (can't blame them, has happened to me as well), so that literally anything will pass, even paying money for it.

Good for you, I guess.
Can't speak for everyone, but I will not be paying for an IT reveal. I will be paying for the next instalment of the Mass Effect franchise. If it has the IT reveal, then that's just a bonus.
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by MovieMachine on Tue May 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Selim Bradley wrote:Can't speak for everyone, but I will not be paying for an IT reveal. I will be paying for the next instalment of the Mass Effect franchise. If it has the IT reveal, then that's just a bonus.

It's not a "bonus" if it's going to be there. It's the thing that should have happened in this game. Period.

Leaving it for the next installment would be nothing but blatant cash-grabbing and broken promises.
MovieMachine
Cannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by Humakt on Tue May 07, 2013 7:35 pm

Shepard's story is over. In Mass Effect 4 we follow the heroic adventures of Reaperman, the most powerful man in the universe.

Nightmare

http://www.celestialheavens.com/thundermaps/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Tue May 07, 2013 7:44 pm

MovieMachine wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:Can't speak for everyone, but I will not be paying for an IT reveal. I will be paying for the next instalment of the Mass Effect franchise. If it has the IT reveal, then that's just a bonus.

It's not a "bonus" if it's going to be there. It's the thing that should have happened in this game. Period.

Leaving it for the next installment would be nothing but blatant cash-grabbing and broken promises.
Unless the whole point of the next inastallment is the reveal, then yes it is a bonus. And they never promised the reveal would happen at all, so it's not breaking a promise if they never made one.
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by MovieMachine on Tue May 07, 2013 7:53 pm

Selim Bradley wrote:
MovieMachine wrote:

Unless the whole point of the next inastallment is the reveal, then yes it is a bonus. And they never promised the reveal would happen at all, so it's not breaking a promise if they never made one.

They did promise an end to Shepard's story. And they did promise "all questions will be answered". Those two things are currently missing.

As for a reveal in the next game, it is a pretty damn big deal if it's going to be in it, regardless of the potential length in gaming-hours. The last 14 months prove how much of a powder keg the current ending is with people. When the marketing for the next game eventually starts, people will remember it.

So it's not a "bonus".

@Humakt83: That vid is pure gold!
MovieMachine
Cannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Tue May 07, 2013 8:19 pm

MovieMachine wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:
MovieMachine wrote:

They did promise an end to Shepard's story. And they did promise "all questions will be answered". Those two things are currently missing.

As for a reveal in the next game, it is a pretty damn big deal if it's going to be in it, regardless of the potential length in gaming-hours. The last 14 months prove how much of a powder keg the current ending is with people. When the marketing for the next game eventually starts, people will remember it.

So it's not a "bonus".
We have reached the point where it is opinion vs opinion, so I'm going to drop this. I think they did meet their statements, you think they didn't. Let's agree to disagree and leave it at that.
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruwce on Wed May 08, 2013 8:33 am

Voted no, cause the reveal had to be in ME3.

But I really want a reveal. Soooo, maybeeee........whatever.

Ok ME next will do, damnit.

Still voted no though, to make a point.

Ruwce
Pyjak

Back to top Go down

Post by MovieMachine on Wed May 08, 2013 5:48 pm

Ruwce wrote:
Still voted no though, to make a point.

Now that's the spirit!
MovieMachine
Cannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by Restrider on Sun May 12, 2013 10:34 am

Rifneno wrote:I wouldn't be at all cool with them doing the reveal in ME4, but I'd be by far even less cool with a reveal not coming at all.
This...
And I guess that's what we are going to get if anything.

And to be honest, I don't get all the hate for ME:Next, especially if it contains IT.

Let's break it down:

1) ME:Next has nothing to do with the trilogy and does not touch the endings:

The game can still be great, however it will be impaired by the implications of the overall trilogy plot. This is one reason why prequels/inquels would probably fail.

-potential: ~90%
What a Face -potential: ~5%

2) ME:Next has a completely new set of characters and DOES change the endings:

Let us just assume that it is some form of IT for the sake of it. Yes, a new set of characters somewhat destroys the continuity, but it also offers the possibility for new stories and a fresh start.
Or are you seriously going to enjoy Garrus saying "Like old times" in ME4 the same way you did in ME2? Let's face it, there is not a lot of potential with the current set of characters. Their stories are told. Although cameos would be gratefully accepted.
If BW however is able to deliver an exciting plot (basically what we all have been waiting for), then ME:Next can be a success even with a new set of characters.

-potential: ~45%
What a Face -potential: ~45%

3) ME:Next has a the known set of characters and DOES change the endings:

Technically this would mean that BW or BW's PR lied to us. So what? PR basically is lying made a profession.
Of course ME:Next couldn't have such a huge focus on character development, since the known set is already as developed as possible (certainly after Citadel DLC). But that is not a bad thing. The focus would then be on the main plot and its resolution. And during that plot, we would have a set of characters that has grown on us. It wouldn't be like in other games, where Red-Shirt-1 dies so this and that may happen.
If it is well done, the hell I care about old lies! Of course caution would be a smart move.
Personally, I will wait a few weeks after release, read a few reviews and buy it based on the scores other people give it.

-potential: ~30%
What a Face -potential: ~60%

And on another note:
The time I spent in the MEU and the "disappointing" ending I got out of it is for me the worst, not the money I invested.
Btw, nice to see you again Rifneno.

Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MovieMachine on Sun May 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Restrider wrote:
*big snip*

I mentioned this before somewhere, but I should have titled this "Would you be willing to pay to get an IT reveal, in ME4 or some other way?" This thread turned into another discussion about "would I be willing to wait that long", which is what everybody has talked about for a billion times.

Lessons learned, I need to focus more on my titles next time, since it seems like people mostly just read the title and start posting based on that. But that doesn't mean your post is bad, it's just that I fucked up.

Restrider wrote:
3) ME:Next has a the known set of characters and DOES change the endings:

Technically this would mean that BW or BW's PR lied to us. So what? PR basically is lying made a profession.

Well, I guess I just have a lower tolerance for that. I was promised certain things in this game, and the ending was the polar opposite.

What's gonna happen if everybody just accepts that the lies they spread can be forgiven/ignored, if they work them out in the next game? I was thinking this from a customer standpoint more than anything. If the maker of the product delivers an incomplete or a broken one, it's up to the developer/maker to fix it. That has not happened, and they have never even apologised that they misled and tricked their customers. The idea that we should pay more to get what we were promised is disgusting to me, and right now it looks like that is what's gonna happen.

14 months after the game's release, it's no wonder why people are frustrated and burnt-out, but I'm still fairly surprised that so many don't think it's a problem if they have to pay for a reveal, which we all want so badly.
MovieMachine
Cannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by Restrider on Sun May 12, 2013 2:36 pm

I see.
However, I think there are things a costumer isn't entitled to demand.

Let me make a few analogies:

If ME3 was filled with bugs and you couldn't play it, it is your right as a costumer to demand a fix or a compensation.

If ME3 has a plot/story you do not like, you can hate it, you can yell your frustration at the writers, but you DO NOT have the right to demand changes. It's like going into a movie and after realising that the plot is crap and not at all like the trailer suggested, to demand that the director changes the end of the movie. But in reality what happens, is that people would remember the crap this certain director/producer delivered and be more hesitant when it comes to new movies they make (and maybe watch them via stream rather than in a cinema).

And for me, it is more important that the overarching plot of ME comes to an end it deserves, regardless of the number of installments needed to accomplish this (unless they really fuck you with episodes 4-35, each 4 hours of gameplay long and at a cost of $15).

Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MovieMachine on Sun May 12, 2013 3:35 pm

Restrider wrote:I see.

If ME3 was filled with bugs and you couldn't play it, it is your right as a costumer to demand a fix or a compensation.

If ME3 has a plot/story you do not like, you can hate it, you can yell your frustration at the writers, but you DO NOT have the right to demand changes. It's like going into a movie and after realising that the plot is crap and not at all like the trailer suggested, to demand that the director changes the end of the movie. But in reality what happens, is that people would remember the crap this certain director/producer delivered and be more hesitant when it comes to new movies they make (and maybe watch them via stream rather than in a cinema).

And for me, it is more important that the overarching plot of ME comes to an end it deserves, regardless of the number of installments needed to accomplish this (unless they really fuck you with episodes 4-35, each 4 hours of gameplay long and at a cost of $15).

I would agree on all of that if they had not made those statements prior to the release. Their promises set a standard to which the infamous sequence laughed at. (It's kinda funny actually, they even indirectly admitted they lied: before the release, they were asked about the ending to ME3 to which they replied: "All questions will be answered." Then a week or two after release: "The endings are open for speculation.")

They made promises which I don't think anybody could defend without looking like an idiot (things like the "no ABC endings", "an end to Shepard's story" and the like). As such, I think I have a right to demand changes (not that it matters to anybody anymore, but as a principle).

The only reason I haven't given up yet is my quickly fading hope that all this will be resolved within ME3, and that it would be a free addon.

If they had never made those lies, I would be much less angry right now (I would have just moved on by now if none of those promises were never made).

As far as movies go, the filmmakers tend to keep their statements as vague as possible, never actually "promising" anything, so you never even have a particular expectation of quality for it (of course, trailers and whatnot always build hype, but it's different than actual promises by the people themselves), at least in my case.
MovieMachine
Cannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryri on Sun May 12, 2013 5:17 pm

And of course, buying a game on release is a bigger financial investment than a cinema ticket. At least for one person anyway. I'm not sure if the principle differs depending on the value of the product or service, but I certainly expected to be able to get more than one play-through out of my £50 purchase (for the collector's edition).

It's a tricky issue. On the one hand I understand Restrider's point that an author can't be expected to alter his or her story to suit the tastes of every member of the audience. And in most cases, if a beloved character made a comeback from apparent death in a later installment, then most fans would be delighted. See the Halo franchise for an example of that, although in that case, I believe Master Chief's "death" wasn't quite so stupid and contrived as Shepard's (correct me if I'm wrong, I've not played Halo personally).

On the other hand, the story is an integral part of this sort of game. People don't play ME for it's slightly arthritic 3rd person shooter gameplay, in a world conveniently littered with waist-high things to crouch behind. They play it for the story and the characters. And when an ending is as poor, and woefully nonsensical as the face value interpretation, and the characterisation so utterly betrayed, then an argument could be made that it is in fact broken. I consider the story of such poor quality (in literal) that it is impossible for me to enjoy it. It does not perform the function for which I bought it. It does not entertain me. If any other product failed to perform its function, one would have a case for demanding its repair or replacement.

Even so, after all that, an IT reveal is the ONLY thing that would induce me to buy ME4. I completely understand that it sucks that we have to shell out even more money to get what they promised us for ME3, but if doesn't deal with Shepard and his crew at all, then I couldn't give a toss about it. It is the only thing that could rescue my interest in the ME franchise, or in any Bioware products generally actually. The Dragon Age franchise is certainly nothing special.

I wouldn't buy an IT revealing ME4 at full price though. There are plenty of other games I can play until it gets discounted. I've waited this long to see the end of Shepard's story, I can certainly wait another year or three.
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Sun May 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Restrider wrote:I see.

Like MovieMachine said, we got the right to demand changes when they lied their asses off about what we were getting.

Also, I'm definitely not okay with it needing 4+ installments. I got into the story in 2007 when it started and they promised us a trilogy. A trilogy. I've waited long enough to see an ending. The existence of an "episode 4" is a "fuck you" as far as I'm concerned.

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Restrider on Sun May 12, 2013 7:42 pm

Rifneno wrote:
Like MovieMachine said, we got the right to demand changes when they lied their asses off about what we were getting.

Also, I'm definitely not okay with it needing 4+ installments. I got into the story in 2007 when it started and they promised us a trilogy. A trilogy. I've waited long enough to see an ending. The existence of an "episode 4" is a "fuck you" as far as I'm concerned.

I can certainly understand your position on this one and I would've liked to see a resolution to the trilogy in the third game as well.

And that the advertisement of ME3 was nothing less but some sort of scam is also obvious.

The point I am trying to convey is that once fans have too much influence on how a plot/story develops, it can as easily go south.
And this is just generally speaking. Though ME3 original ending was a cliffhanger, it is - at least in my view - more coherent than what we got with the EC. And I fear that BW delivering the EC could become a bad precedent for the gaming industry in general.
Usually people say that gaming companies should listen to their fans. That's true, but only to some extent. For instance the Citadel DLC is an example for developers catering too much to the fans' will (of course they ignored the blatant holes in the endings). Another example for me would be the fans crying that there was not enough Liara in ME2 and complaining that there was too much Liara in ME3.

And to come back to the initial topic:
I think a fourth installment addressing the endings (hopefully done well) would be preferable to what we have now. Would it be ideal? No, but what is?

Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MovieMachine on Sun May 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Restrider wrote:
The point I am trying to convey is that once fans have too much influence on how a plot/story develops, it can as easily go south.
And this is just generally speaking. Though ME3 original ending was a cliffhanger, it is - at least in my view - more coherent than what we got with the EC. And I fear that BW delivering the EC could become a bad precedent for the gaming industry in general.
Usually people say that gaming companies should listen to their fans. That's true, but only to some extent. For instance the Citadel DLC is an example for developers catering too much to the fans' will (of course they ignored the blatant holes in the endings). Another example for me would be the fans crying that there was not enough Liara in ME2 and complaining that there was too much Liara in ME3.

I agree on all of this. I like the original ending way better than the EC, and I can't be bothered with the Citadel after the one time I played it, because of how out-of-place and licking-fans-asses it feels. The thing with the original ending with me though, is that I've always considered it as a cliffhanger (well that's a shock) for more things to come, without me having to pay for that. That way of looking at it is dying fast.

"Fans" (who is a fan, actually?) should not be allowed to have too much influence over the company's work, because there is always a myriad of ideas and hopes that contradict each other and everything turns to mess sooner or later. You are correct in that.

But in this case, they quite clearly promised something very different than what we got. I'm not, technically speaking, asking BW to "change" their work, but more like fulfilling the promises they gave.

Restrider wrote:And to come back to the initial topic:
I think a fourth installment addressing the endings (hopefully done well) would be preferable to what we have now. Would it be ideal? No, but what is?

Sigh. I don't really know what to say this.

Actually, I do: A free addon for ME3. That would be ideal, and it would solve all the problems I see with the current situation.

But of course, that's likely not gonna happen yaddayadda.
MovieMachine
Cannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by Restrider on Sun May 12, 2013 9:34 pm

MovieMachine wrote:

But in this case, they quite clearly promised something very different than what we got. I'm not, technically speaking, asking BW to "change" their work, but more like fulfilling the promises they gave.

No argument here.
Although I am not affected by it, since I bought ME3 in July of 2012, well aware of the ending SNAFU and paying only half price for the game. Probably the low expectations I had for the ending mitigated my ... "ending depressions".
Alas, I still was like "WTF?!?" the first time I played the endings.

Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by MovieMachine on Sun May 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Eryri wrote:
It's a tricky issue.

I don't play a lot of different games, but I feel that this is quite a unique situation. They decided to give statements that went in to such detail (no ABC endings comes to mind), that they seem like intentional mocking of the current ending we have. And that was what I believed it was, mocking the current one and assuring that in the future it would change.

Can an entertainment product / art-piece be considered as an item that can be "repaired"? If they had made none of those promises, the ending would still be unsatisfying (to say the least), but at least they wouldn't have intentionally cornered themselves.

The current behavior of Mr. Gamble and Co. is aggravating (to put it mildly), because they have never addressed this issue and act like it never happened. At the same time they are also handwaving all possible complaints with the EC. Like that was supposed to address any important issues.

So I got tricked into false advertising in the hopes that it was actually just an encouragement for me to wait for better days. Now that's a new one for me.
MovieMachine
Cannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by ElSuperGecko on Mon May 13, 2013 11:12 am

Bridging DLC with IT reveal.

Put it out about 6-8 months before ME4 is due out.

Reveal the final twist in the tail of Shepard's story, introduce the direction the story is heading and build unprecedented levels of hype for the new game. Job done.

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Mon May 13, 2013 11:27 am

ElSuperGecko wrote:Bridging DLC with IT reveal.

Reveal the final twist in the tail of Shepard's story, introduce the direction the story is heading and build unprecedented levels of hype for the new game. Job done.

#biowarpls

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by MovieMachine on Mon May 13, 2013 12:07 pm

Yes. Hell yes.

But it requires quite a lot of faith in certain people. I don't have much of that left at the moment, especially since the content should be free.

I'm also not too convinced they would wait for such a long time, many people will be trading their copies of the game away (if anybody even buys them anymore), since they think all the DLCs are now done for good.

So I don't think that there will be a whole lot of people caring about this game at that point. And that's bad for business.

I would be glad if I'm proven wrong though...
MovieMachine
Cannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryri on Mon May 13, 2013 5:45 pm

MovieMachine wrote:

Yes. Hell yes.

But it requires quite a lot of faith in certain people. I don't have much of that left at the moment, especially since the content should be free.

I'm also not too convinced they would wait for such a long time, many people will be trading their copies of the game away (if anybody even buys them anymore), since they think all the DLCs are now done for good.

So I don't think that there will be a whole lot of people caring about this game at that point. And that's bad for business.

I would be glad if I'm proven wrong though...

Bearing in mind the problem of people trading in their copies of ME3, maybe they could do some sort of "expandalone" game as the bridge to ME4 proper? A bit like Infamous: Festival of Blood, which was a self contained story, using the city from Infamous 2, but which didn't require the base game to play it. That way, those who had gotten rid of their disks could still download and play the content. It could be a very streamlined experience, starring someone like James Vega or Liara, (who are almost guaranteed to have survived) finding and rescuing Shepard in the rubble. Their skills are well defined, so Bioware wouldn't have to worry about complicated skill trees. The example I mentioned above was £7.99 for about 4 or 5 hours of content, which sold well on the PSN as I recall, so there is precedent for this kind of thing succeeding.
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by MovieMachine on Mon May 13, 2013 8:38 pm

Eryri wrote:

Bearing in mind the problem of people trading in their copies of ME3, maybe they could do some sort of "expandalone" game as the bridge to ME4 proper? A bit like Infamous: Festival of Blood, which was a self contained story, using the city from Infamous 2, but which didn't require the base game to play it. That way, those who had gotten rid of their disks could still download and play the content. It could be a very streamlined experience, starring someone like James Vega or Liara, (who are almost guaranteed to have survived) finding and rescuing Shepard in the rubble. Their skills are well defined, so Bioware wouldn't have to worry about complicated skill trees. The example I mentioned above was £7.99 for about 4 or 5 hours of content, which sold well on the PSN as I recall, so there is precedent for this kind of thing succeeding.

Ignoring the fact that the little plot description you gave doesn't really sound like a very interesting one (no offence) to end this journey (Shepard should finish this all himself, everybody wants to play as their long-time player avatar until the very end), I have no knowledge of the Infamous series.

Did the previous game before that expansion leave the main story unresolved? Did the developers promise to include the things that were in the expansion in the original vanilla game? Is Infamous even a series where player saves from previous games count for something?

Because that's what we are dealing with here. If your answers are "no", then I don't see the connection. Expansions bridging games together without requiring the previous ones to work are fine, as long as their stories are actually standalone and self contained, and not a direct continuation of something that was supposed to be available in the previous game.

Not to mention that a proper conclusion to this trilogy needs to use our save data. I can imagine the rampant rage that would ensue when people would realise they need to buy the original game again to properly enjoy the new release.

And of course, the conclusion for this trilogy costing more money would just be plain wrong (regardless of EA's common business practices).

Interesting point, but I think ME is a different beast entirely (more information is needed).
MovieMachine
Cannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryri on Mon May 13, 2013 8:57 pm

No offence taken. The infamous series is a very different beast from ME to be fair - it's an open world superhero game. The RPG elements are minimal - although funnily enough it also has a binary morality system represented by red and blue. Infamous 2 did import your Karma status, and a couple of other minor stats from the first game, but nothing major.

I just floated the self contained game idea as a means of getting around the issue of people no longer owning their physical disks, due to selling them in (understandable) disgust. Perhaps it could import data if you do still happen to have ME3 on your system, and just offer you a quick questionnaire of the most important decisions if you've deleted them, similar to the way the demo did it.

Of course for the IT reveal, I'd rather have Shepard drop-kicking Starbinger out of his mind and then proceeding to an epic boss fight with Harbinger himself. But perhaps before that we could have a brief section playing as another squadmate to snap Shepard back to his senses if the reapers have "turned him".

And no, the inFamous developers did not make silly, inflated promises that they apparently had no intention of keeping. Those comments from Hudson et al sill stick in my craw too. And it would be a sign of good faith for them to release this for free after all the crap they put us through, but this is EA we're talking about. Unfortunately. Uncertain
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by ZerebusPrime on Tue May 14, 2013 10:43 pm

Yes, I am cool with the reveal coming in Mass Effect 5.

..........what?

At this point, any "reveal" of whatever really happened at the end of ME3 would have to be mindblowingly epic. Failure to provide a mindblowingly epic reveal means that the ending to ME3 remains a festering wound in the side of an otherwise good series, like Star Trek: Generations. The ending really feels like a setup for something else to me. That something else had BETTER be worth it or else I will be a very disappointed thirty or forty something depending on how long it takes for me to lose all hope.
ZerebusPrime
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top