Are you cool with the idea of IT being "revealed" in ME4? (Poll)

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Do you think it is okay for IT to be "revealed" in ME4?

49% 49% 
[ 33 ]
22% 22% 
[ 15 ]
16% 16% 
[ 11 ]
12% 12% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 67

Re: Are you cool with the idea of IT being "revealed" in ME4? (Poll)

Post by MovieMachine on Tue May 14, 2013 10:49 pm

ZerebusPrime wrote:Yes, I am cool with the reveal coming in Mass Effect 5.

..........what?

At this point, any "reveal" of whatever really happened at the end of ME3 would have to be mindblowingly epic. Failure to provide a mindblowingly epic reveal means that the ending to ME3 remains a festering wound in the side of an otherwise good series, like Star Trek: Generations. The ending really feels like a setup for something else to me. That something else had BETTER be worth it or else I will be a very disappointed thirty or forty something depending on how long it takes for me to lose all hope.
MovieMachine wrote:
14 months after the game's release, it's no wonder why people are frustrated and burnt-out, but I'm still fairly surprised that so many don't think it's a problem if they have to pay for a reveal, which we all want so badly.
MovieMachine
Cannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by ZerebusPrime on Wed May 15, 2013 3:38 am

You need to take a long view approach to genres. That's why I mentioned Star Trek: Generations. You don't have people complaining (nearly as much) about Star Trek these days as they did right after that movie came out. Yet I'd bet most of the people who complained then also proceeded to buy tickets to see Star Trek: First Contact. A Mass Effect game is a generally high quality game worth buying. I hope the reveal will be in it, but there is no cause-effect link between my buying the next ME game and it containing a reveal.

As such, I am not "paying for a reveal."
ZerebusPrime
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by MovieMachine on Wed May 15, 2013 10:52 am

I can't tell anything about your Star Trek example, I've never watched any of the older Trek movies (sacrilege?).

Many movies and sequels to supposedly good movies have crap endings, but never before have I seen an ending that leaves the main story completely unresolved, while simultaneously the people behind it go out of their way to promise things that directly contradict what it contained.

Fairly unique case, I feel. And with games, there is a possibility of adding more story later on, unlike movies. When a film is done, it's done. We got an incomplete product that could be remedied by a free addon.

If they would continue from here in the next game, they would finally break just about every single promise they ever made. If I would have known that this was to be the case with ME3, I would have never bought it.

So yes, if a reveal is going to happen in the next game, we are paying for content that we were definitely quaranteed to get way earlier, and without having to pay twice. Appalling business practice is appalling, regardless of how widespread it might be.
MovieMachine
Cannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Wed May 15, 2013 1:51 pm

I dunno about you guys, but after playing all the ME3 DLC, I still get this scene at the end of the game that tells me I'll get "one more story about the Shepard".

They'd better god damn deliver.

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by MovieMachine on Wed May 15, 2013 7:34 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:I dunno about you guys, but after playing all the ME3 DLC, I still get this scene at the end of the game that tells me I'll get "one more story about the Shepard".

Agreed.

But the question here is: Do you see it as a problem if you pay more to get that "one more story"?
MovieMachine
Cannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by ZerebusPrime on Thu May 16, 2013 5:51 am

MovieMachine wrote: When a film is done, it's done.

I wish someone had told George Lucas that...
ZerebusPrime
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Home run MF on Thu May 16, 2013 5:34 pm

I wouldn't have a problem with them doing it.

But... I don't see it happening, the core team seems fed up with the ME universe (I don't blame them) and to be moving on to another IP.
The teasing pointing to an offshoot made by a different dev team.

Gas Bag

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Thu May 16, 2013 7:04 pm

MovieMachine wrote:
DoomsdayDevice wrote:I dunno about you guys, but after playing all the ME3 DLC, I still get this scene at the end of the game that tells me I'll get "one more story about the Shepard".

Agreed.

But the question here is: Do you see it as a problem if you pay more to get that "one more story"?

I am not altogether certain one way or the other. Frankly, at this point I'm so desperate that I'll take anything. Still, I'm pretty ticked off about all the 'No more Shepard' talk.

I basically stopped waiting. I guess I'll see what they do, eventually.

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Maximus on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:03 pm

dork wrote:
Bioware is nearly dead. And now they have star wars (via EA)

another franchise to fuck up (oh they already did that with SWTOR which is just another massive pile of shite)
British Ninja

I disagree with the second opinion! The Old Republic is actually a very good game. Sure, it's not perfect (Space Combat for e.g.), and I still prefer KotORs over it, but it's shown as it should be - BioWEAre way!
It shows Star Wars from darker, more mature perspective. I hate all this sh*t with jawa rainbows and ewok unicorns from Lucas. The only SW movie I actually like after all these years is Empire Strikes Back...and it was directed by Irvin Kershner, not Lucas.
BioWare makes Star Wars more...reasonable. Tries to explains stuff, delve deeper into lore, technology, species, locations instead of Lucas' space magic. Don't get me wrong, Star Wars is IMO still one-big Space Magic but it's better with BioWare. Playin' TOR is like playin' Mass Effect..except there's no Shepard. There is Harbinger and his synthesis army (Flashpoint: Directive 7), there are The Collectors (Gree), The Protheans (Rakata) and Cerberus (Empire). There's hell lot of Parallels between ME and TOR...and Dead Space trilogy too. Won't waste my breath, just frakkin' play these games from IT perspective...

Sorry for offtop! But it was necesseary...

I'd love to see IT reveal ffs. No matter where and how damn it. What matters is when - and I want it RIGHT! FRAKKIN' NOW!
They can cut ME3 & 4 to hundreds of DLCs, I don't give a damn. I'll just download it all from Torrents as I do since ME3. They don't deserve my money, even after they reveal IT. Screw you, BioWEAre!!!

Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Humakt on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:56 pm

I'm paying for the (hopefully) great game placed in fictional universe that interests me.

I don't need reveal to confirm my thoughts on the ending.

Nightmare

http://www.celestialheavens.com/thundermaps/

Back to top Go down

Post by MovieMachine on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:06 am

Humakt83 wrote:I'm paying for the (hopefully) great game placed in fictional universe that interests me.

You don't find it questionable that content which was supposed to be delivered (in some form) in ME3 would go to the next game?

There goes all the talk about Shepard's story being a trilogy and ME3 being the end to Shepard's journey, among other things.
MovieMachine
Cannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:29 am

Humakt83 wrote:I'm paying for the (hopefully) great game placed in fictional universe that interests me.

No, but we do need a reveal in order to beat the Reapers for real.

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Humakt on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:25 pm

MovieMachine wrote:

You don't find it questionable that content which was supposed to be delivered (in some form) in ME3 would go to the next game?

There goes all the talk about Shepard's story being a trilogy and ME3 being the end to Shepard's journey, among other things.

No, frankly I don't care about that at all. I never listen/(give much credit) to the marketing hype, so these "promises" never appeared in my radar.

Besides, it is almost certain that Shepard's story as a protagonist IS over.

Nightmare

http://www.celestialheavens.com/thundermaps/

Back to top Go down

Post by MovieMachine on Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:41 pm

Humakt83 wrote:
No, frankly I don't care about that at all. I never listen/(give much credit) to the hype, so these "promises" never appeared in my radar.

And you don't care about them now, since you are aware of them? It doesn't matter when they appear in your radar, false promises are false regardless. Lies don't stop being lies even if you don't care about them.

Humakt83 wrote:Besides, it is almost certain that Shepard's story as a protagonist IS over.

If you mean that Bioware will likely not continue it anymore, then yes, things are looking bad. If you mean that Shepard's story is over when looking at the ending, then no.
MovieMachine
Cannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:58 am

MovieMachine wrote:
Rifneno wrote:I wouldn't be at all cool with them doing the reveal in ME4, but I'd be by far even less cool with a reveal not coming at all.

Wonderful alternatives here: Have it done in the most disgusting, cash-grabbing way possible (and ignoring all the promises and basically admitting they lied about everything in order to boost their sales), or have it so that a 100-hour journey will never have a conclusion.

Well see, whatever.

Lol, I mean... if they sell expansion-sized content to explain things and have a blow-out finish, I'm.. cool with that. Give me 10-15+ hours of solid story content and fuck, I'm in. I'll pay money. It's fine. I'm COOL with expansion packs, honestly.

Anyway.

I put in 'Whatever'. I'll give a 'it's about time' response and get the game at some point. If it uses older saves/previous choices in some way, then I'll set up my files/Shep-profiles on the PC instead of my current main-Shep 360 stuff, and just grumble about it. They'll get my money, but only grudgingly and I won't be able to call myself a 'fan' of their practices still.

However, if they release substantial ME3 content that concludes things properly, I'm ALL in. $20? Sure! $30? Ah, ok. $40? I hate you, and I'm back to the 'grudgingly' state, but I'll do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:05 am

MovieMachine wrote:
RavenEyry wrote:I pretty much stopped caring months ago, so I put 'whatever'.

Will I be happy if we get a proper continuation? Yes.
Do I expect it or eagerly await any news? No.

I should've probably titled this thing "Are you cool with the idea of having to pay for an IT reveal, in ME4 or otherwise?", to avoid confusing this to whether or not it's coming at all. I know that many people just don't care anymore (I'm slowly descending to this category too), but I'm more about whether or not people find that kind of cash-grabbing as acceptable.

Ah ok.

Free ME3 DLC that is strongly influenced by having and completing the other 3-4 DLCs - Yes
$5 ME3 DLC - Yes
$10 ME3 DLC - Yes
$15 ME3 DLC - ..Yes...
$20+ ME3 DLC/expansion - Ugh... I guess..ok
$30+ ME3 DLC/expansion - Really? Fuck off... fine

ME4 - Really? Fuck off..fine... unless the game sucks, in which case No. Fuck you. I'll watch it online.
Special Reveal in ME4 DLC - No. Fuck you. I'll watch it online.

They way I see it is that content is content, and adding even another 10-20+ hours to my gametime, of fun content, for money, is cool. If Shepard's story truly did end with the Crucible, and that's made clear, I'm cool with more content, period.

But if it's a clear cashgrab, I'll go with it (FOR ME3). If it's a 'franchise booster' with nothing explained properly in ME3, I won't go for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:16 am

ZerebusPrime wrote:Yes, I am cool with the reveal coming in Mass Effect 5.

..........what?

At this point, any "reveal" of whatever really happened at the end of ME3 would have to be mindblowingly epic. Failure to provide a mindblowingly epic reveal means that the ending to ME3 remains a festering wound in the side of an otherwise good series, like Star Trek: Generations. The ending really feels like a setup for something else to me. That something else had BETTER be worth it or else I will be a very disappointed thirty or forty something depending on how long it takes for me to lose all hope.

Completely agree. All of London and the 'ending' itself (without EC though, I guess) feels more like the rising up to the conclusion, but not even the actual conclusion itself (as much as it seems to try to convince us of this) and with absolutely not actual resolution.

I mean, an easy reference is DoomsdayDevice's list of quotes which essentially scream "WE'RE NOT DONE YET." Not in terms of "Oh, the galaxy has more stories." but more "Shepard will return, as this isn't our last mission. It's but the trigger point of something greater, like Eden Prime was (thanks Joker)."

To make me actually fully happy with the state of this franchise, I'll have to see either free (maybe covered by MP content and F2P purchases of packs?) story DLC, or cheaply priced ($5... $10 would annoy me) DLC, or an expansion ($20-40) which contains:

-Earth at Dawn
-Travel to, and events on Rio
-Maybe more?
-Attacking the Heart of the Reaper power

Basically the size of a large arc. In this case, consider every main mission regarding the Collectors in ME2 an 'arc' (5-6 missions), or Genophage story in ME3 an 'arc' (about 5 missions), or the Rannoch arc (about 4 missions). The current 'ending' arc in ME3 is 4-5 missions, depending on if you count the Citadel/Crucible part as a 'mission'.

I'd prefer at least 5-6 missions, not 4. A final push towards a true conclusion, and an opportunity to show the true consequences of all the major, and many minor choices made throughout the trilogy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:22 am

CorranusMaximus wrote:
dork wrote:
Bioware is nearly dead. And now they have star wars (via EA)

another franchise to fuck up (oh they already did that with SWTOR which is just another massive pile of shite)
British Ninja

I disagree with the second opinion! The Old Republic is actually a very good game. Sure, it's not perfect (Space Combat for e.g.), and I still prefer KotORs over it, but it's shown as it should be - BioWEAre way!
It shows Star Wars from darker, more mature perspective. I hate all this sh*t with jawa rainbows and ewok unicorns from Lucas. The only SW movie I actually like after all these years is Empire Strikes Back...and it was directed by Irvin Kershner, not Lucas.
BioWare makes Star Wars more...reasonable. Tries to explains stuff, delve deeper into lore, technology, species, locations instead of Lucas' space magic. Don't get me wrong, Star Wars is IMO still one-big Space Magic but it's better with BioWare. Playin' TOR is like playin' Mass Effect..except there's no Shepard. There is Harbinger and his synthesis army (Flashpoint: Directive 7), there are The Collectors (Gree), The Protheans (Rakata) and Cerberus (Empire). There's hell lot of Parallels between ME and TOR...and Dead Space trilogy too. Won't waste my breath, just frakkin' play these games from IT perspective...

Sorry for offtop! But it was necesseary...

I'd love to see IT reveal ffs. No matter where and how damn it. What matters is when - and I want it RIGHT! FRAKKIN' NOW!
They can cut ME3 & 4 to hundreds of DLCs, I don't give a damn. I'll just download it all from Torrents as I do since ME3. They don't deserve my money, even after they reveal IT. Screw you, BioWEAre!!!

(sorry for so many posts, but I have a lot to say tonight)

I'd go further and say
Dread Masters are akin to Reapers, Indoctrination, and other methods of mind control that Bioware employs in pretty much all of their stories ;)
Female Soldier is like, flat out FemShepard, even if they chose to never make her voiced by Jennifer Hale herself
And the Consular story is also full of mind control stuff, and how it can change someone

TOR is a wasted game for Bioware and it's not nearly as good as it was supposed to be.
But I saw that coming, and bought it anyway. Because it's still fun, and still worth putting $30-60 into (even if you're F2P, spend that money on subscription or unlocks, while to do at least one of the class stories).

It's a 7/10 game that's now 7.5/10 imo. And you know what? That's still 'good', in my rating scale, and I enjoy RPGs, and I enjoy TOR. It's just never going to touch my 'top MMOs/RPGs list', at all, unless they lessened the cash grabbing, really advanced the story in cool ways years from now (Hutt Cartel is but an interlude event, not a 'mind blowing advancement' of the plot), and fixed up many of the technical and gameplay systems.

Back to top Go down

Post by MovieMachine on Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:05 pm

SwobyJ wrote:
Ah ok.

Free ME3 DLC that is strongly influenced by having and completing the other 3-4 DLCs - Yes
$5 ME3 DLC - Yes
$10 ME3 DLC - Yes
$15 ME3 DLC - ..Yes...
$20+ ME3 DLC/expansion - Ugh... I guess..ok
$30+ ME3 DLC/expansion - Really? Fuck off... fine

ME4 - Really? Fuck off..fine... unless the game sucks, in which case No. Fuck you. I'll watch it online.
Special Reveal in ME4 DLC - No. Fuck you. I'll watch it online.

They way I see it is that content is content, and adding even another 10-20+ hours to my gametime, of fun content, for money, is cool. If Shepard's story truly did end with the Crucible, and that's made clear, I'm cool with more content, period.

But if it's a clear cashgrab, I'll go with it (FOR ME3). If it's a 'franchise booster' with nothing explained properly in ME3, I won't go for it.

Yeah see, I'm clearly thinking this whole thing a bit differently than others around here (or at least it sure feels like it). I consider whatever content that would happen after the breath scene to be an essential, inseparable part of ME3. It was also something that we were supposed to have from the get go, or at least with a free addon later on.

Therefore I will not pay for any of that if it ever comes, no matter how good or big that reveal would be. And I mean that as a principle, obviously I would play it even if I had to pay for it, but I would absolutely not approve of that. Expansions (that you have to pay for) which bridge stories between games together are cool when they are not a direct part of an unfinished story. And leaving the conclusion of a trilogy to the fourth installment would be asinine.
MovieMachine
Cannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine on Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:07 pm

Welp.... I dunno, I'd rather focus more on my own country's corruption, or love or something. I kinda hate to say I've personally moved on, if a reveal ever came then to me that is pretty cool because I've kinda gotten over how shitty Bioware is. I mean I'm not buying from them, but still. So I probably mind it the least among other ITers except anyone who just kinda sucks up to Bioware(pointing no fingers and not judging either).

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
Terramine
Destroyer

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:28 pm

MovieMachine wrote:
SwobyJ wrote:

Yeah see, I'm clearly thinking this whole thing a bit differently than others around here (or at least it sure feels like it). I consider whatever content that would happen after the breath scene to be an essential, inseparable part of ME3. It was also something that we were supposed to have from the get go, or at least with a free addon later on.

Therefore I will not pay for any of that if it ever comes, no matter how good or big that reveal would be. And I mean that as a principle, obviously I would play it even if I had to pay for it, but I would absolutely not approve of that. Expansions (that you have to pay for) which bridge stories between games together are cool when they are not a direct part of an unfinished story. And leaving the conclusion of a trilogy to the fourth installment would be asinine.

No worries - I totally get that. But I've made it pretty clear before that from my standpoint, any tricking of the playerbase won't really affect my dealing with ME3-itself, but instead will heavily impact future games. I mean, they can push me enough with DLC exploitation (imagine if the reveal came in 3 $15 chunks??), and all they'll succeed in is getting me to either pirate the next game, or get it on heavy discount at best.

When it comes to ME3, I just want the damn ending, if they have a 'real' one in reserve. That's it. I can hate them afterward.

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:34 am

I personally still take the stand that if indoctrination theory is true, the trilogy is a FUCKING MASTERPIECE. Some people pay millions of dollars for colors on a piece of paper aka a painting. Yet this is a video game, they could charge 10x the normal price and had delivered the reveal right away and it would be worth the money outright. Now don't get me wrong, if they didn't have to do it this way then they are in the wrong big time. But if the reveal requires the content of almost a full game... or even content equal to half a whole game. And they didn't have the time and money... then I'd say it was justified.

Personally I can play mass effect again. The evidence is so compelling that I am convinced without their word with complete certainty. Heck even if it went against their word 100%, I'd be certain they'd be lying. So personally I don't need a reveal to be motivated to play because it will just confirm what I know. BUT, without a reveal I can't credit them. In terms of business, you have to supply a product and me being able to fill in the dots isn't product... imagination isn't a product, or more specifically invoking imagination isn't a product or service that can be bought or sold.

So basically, they get credit as artists. But not as a company charging me money. So with no reveal, I wont be supporting them with money in the near future...

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

Terramine
Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:39 am

But I'm just saying... if the content is equal to half a game or more. You could not have possibly expected them to have revealed IT in the vanilla game without sacrificing quality big time. Either you support further efforts to make a reveal(buy the content later), or it would just be impossible period.

Basically it's possible that they simply COULDN'T do it any other way. In which case it's justified in my book... assuming this is the case anyways.

Terramine
Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top