Cerberus is not anti-alien

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cerberus is not anti-alien

Post by Steelcan on Wed May 08, 2013 11:05 pm

Before you start bringing out the big guns let me clarify.

Cerberus before they were taken over by the Reapers in ME3 were not anti-alien or "evil".

Cerberus in ME1 is shown as a pro-human splinter group from the Alliance black ops organizations. They are not shown to be explicitly anti-alien but merely pro-human extremists willing to get their hands dirty. They certainly engage in morally questionable activity such as turning a whole colony into husks. However this still places them in "well intentioned extremist" territory.

Then comes ME2. In ME2 we see that Cerberus is willing and in fact actively seeks able and competent aliens for help. They use Feron, Liara, Samara, Mordin, Garrus, O'Keer, etc.... All without much hesitation or ill will.

Contrast this with the Alliance who is most certainly not pleased with non-humans on the crew. Ashley suggests restricting their movements, Michaelovic wants them off the ship. In ME2 we hear from Joker how the Alliance did kick them out once Shepard was gone.
Steelcan
Scion

Back to top Go down

Re: Cerberus is not anti-alien

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Wed May 08, 2013 11:46 pm

I hear Cerberus is pro-Reapers

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by hukbum on Wed May 08, 2013 11:56 pm

Steelcan wrote:They are not shown to be explicitly anti-alien but merely pro-human extremists
Just a question: What deos this "pro-human extremists" imply? It kinda contradicts the first part imo.

Steelcan wrote:Then comes ME2. In ME2 we see that Cerberus is willing and in fact actively seeks able and competent aliens for help. They use Feron, Liara, Samara, Mordin, Garrus, O'Keer, etc.... All without much hesitation or ill will.
I bolded something important for you ...

Steelcan wrote:Contrast this with the Alliance who is most certainly not pleased with non-humans on the crew. Ashley suggests restricting their movements, Michaelovic wants them off the ship. In ME2 we hear from Joker how the Alliance did kick them out once Shepard was gone.
Yes, but they're not some nazi one track minders, they change and learn. See Pressly's note pad for that. The alliance fought in a war, you know? I'm not saying this is good, it's understandable in some point.
Cerberus really lacks this "understanding" from my side. After this dialogue with Kelly (cats 'n stuff) I really wanted to punch her. That was borderline racism. Rupert, that cooking idiot, same there.
But maybe I'm just a oversensitive german when it comes to stuff like that Wink

Abomination

Back to top Go down

Post by hukbum on Wed May 08, 2013 11:59 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:I hear Cerberus is pro-Reapers
Nah, they're not. They're just a misinterpreted charity organistation Laughing

Abomination

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelcan on Thu May 09, 2013 12:01 am

1. Pro-human extremes its i plies a willingness to do terrible things to both humans and non-humans to make humanity more secure in the galaxy.

2. They seem to all get along reasonably well, none of the Cerberus crew is calling for Garrus or Tali to be restricted or kicked off the ship. In fact they mention how polite they are.

3. The Alliance as a whole seems to be more xenophobic. Reaper admirals, grunts, Pressly changes over time sure, but the Alliance doesn't seem to keen on working directly with aliens.

Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelcan on Thu May 09, 2013 12:02 am

hukbum wrote:
DoomsdayDevice wrote:I hear Cerberus is pro-Reapers
Nah, they're not. They're just a misinterpreted charity organistation Laughing
. Like I said, discounting ME3 where it's just "lolzindoctrinated"
Steelcan
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by hukbum on Thu May 09, 2013 3:01 am

Steelcan wrote:1. Pro-human extremes its i plies a willingness to do terrible things to both humans and non-humans to make humanity more secure in the galaxy.
Not the goal of cerberus, the goal was "humanaty first at all cost". That doesn't leave much room for "alien friendly".

Steelcan wrote:2. They seem to all get along reasonably well, none of the Cerberus crew is calling for Garrus or Tali to be restricted or kicked off the ship. In fact they mention how polite they are.
Oh, there are still many polite and civilized Nazi arround. Being polite to someone you need and friend of someone you want to work for you is not a big deal and doesn't change the main goal of the organisation.

Steelcan wrote:3. The Alliance as a whole seems to be more xenophobic. Reaper admirals, grunts, Pressly changes over time sure, but the Alliance doesn't seem to keen on working directly with aliens.
So you don't doubt the "politness" of the cerberus crew, but you are willing to paint the whole alliance black. The people we encouter in ME1 that show this (Ash, Pressly) are changing over the game, based on how you talk to them (Ash, Pressly more based on how you treat the crew I think).

Think about it that way: The ones who thought the allience was to soft on this topic joined cerberus (willing to do anything). Than you'll see what Cerberus really is (This is not backed up in the game, but it is - what I think - high likely). The allience calls them extremists, interesting, when you pick all the points you wrote down here about the allience, isn't it?

Abomination

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Thu May 09, 2013 10:54 am

I haven't seen a topic this retarded since I glanced at comic book forums and saw short bus Batman fans insisting he could totally beat Superman if he had every possible advantage and Superman stood there and wouldn't fight back.

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelcan on Thu May 09, 2013 12:01 pm

1. That's what they became in ME3

2. The main goal of the organization is outlined in the Cerberus Manifesto, no mention of exterminating other races or enslaving etc..

3. I'm saying we see more xenophobic members in the Alliance than in Cerberus.

Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine on Thu May 09, 2013 10:08 pm

Steelcan wrote:1. Pro-human extremes its i plies a willingness to do terrible things to both humans and non-humans to make humanity more secure in the galaxy.

2. They seem to all get along reasonably well, none of the Cerberus crew is calling for Garrus or Tali to be restricted or kicked off the ship. In fact they mention how polite they are.

3. The Alliance as a whole seems to be more xenophobic. Reaper admirals, grunts, Pressly changes over time sure, but the Alliance doesn't seem to keen on working directly with aliens.
They're still evil. Getting their hands dirty makes them evil.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
Terramine
Destroyer

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine on Thu May 09, 2013 10:14 pm

Steelcan wrote:1*snip*
I still think the pro-humanism is wrong. In real life I see countries as too much division, people think there is somehow less obligation to take care of 1 person over another if they are not citizens of the same country. And "species" I see as the same thing. Sure we are different nations, and sure we are different species. But in this universe we are all brothers and sisters, the universe wasn't made for us especially not for individual groups. If anything we could be wiped out at any moment and the universe would never be heard. Reality is, if anything WE are ALL here for the universe... or for life itself. Evolution teaches us that every species on earth is related genetically, and this thread stretches back to the first life on earth or whatever the origins of earth life is. But even if there is other life out there that evolved on it's own and is not linked to us biologically. They are still linked by their uniqueness, mainly that they are living things as well as people.

People are people it doesn't matter species, gender or race, biology or synthetics, it does not matter. People are people. I care if people get hurt, or if people are advancing. Not any specific group. Pro-Humanism is wrong because it's this mentality, that you are separate from them. People are people, we advance together.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

Terramine
Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Thu May 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Cerberus was the Starbinger of ME2. Telling half truths and whole lies, putting on a nice face to try and win you over. But deep down... just evil.

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by CSSteele on Fri May 10, 2013 4:00 am

I'm with Rifeno with this. The files in the Cerberus base in ME3 prove this, where TIM tells them to put together a team that will make Shepard feel comfortable and things will seem normal. It was all a façade to keep Shepard from trying to dig too deep.
CSSteele
Nemesis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Fri May 10, 2013 4:30 pm

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Fri May 10, 2013 5:15 pm

Haha! WINNING! Winning!

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry on Fri May 10, 2013 5:27 pm

To paraphrase a review of 2 I read ages ago: "Cerberus is a pro-human terrorist group that targets humans 90% of the time and runs experiments that go fatally wrong 100% of the time."

More seriously, I think Cerberus isn't really pro-human or anti-alien, just pro-cerberus. Also they're hilariously incompetent at what they do.
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Fri May 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Cerberus. Humanity first!

We'll mass murder and brutally experiment upon the other species later.

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Fri May 10, 2013 5:41 pm

Laughing

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryri on Fri May 10, 2013 6:07 pm

RavenEyry wrote:To paraphrase a review of 2 I read ages ago: "Cerberus is a pro-human terrorist group that targets humans 90% of the time and runs experiments that go fatally wrong 100% of the time."

More seriously, I think Cerberus isn't really pro-human or anti-alien, just pro-cerberus. Also they're hilariously incompetent at what they do.

As indeed are the Reapers, the Leviathans and the Catalyst, to go off-topic for a minute. All of Mass Effect's bad guys seem to have been short-changed by the intelligence fairy when you think about it. Perhaps Bioware were making some sort of point about the banality of evil?
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by CSSteele on Fri May 10, 2013 10:36 pm

Of course they were, they have the inept 'I'm Evil' Priestly as an employee that blew up their forums with shoddy Moderating.
CSSteele
Nemesis

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Fri May 10, 2013 11:00 pm

Eryri wrote:
RavenEyry wrote:To paraphrase a review of 2 I read ages ago: "Cerberus is a pro-human terrorist group that targets humans 90% of the time and runs experiments that go fatally wrong 100% of the time."

As indeed are the Reapers, the Leviathans and the Catalyst, to go off-topic for a minute. All of Mass Effect's bad guys seem to have been short-changed by the intelligence fairy when you think about it. Perhaps Bioware were making some sort of point about the banality of evil?

Well the Reapers only truly got hit by the idiot ball in Mass Effect 3 and a general rule of Mass Effect, be it Cerberus or not, seems to be that experimentation on a intelligent race will end badly.

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Sat May 11, 2013 2:33 am

RavenEyry wrote:More seriously, I think Cerberus isn't really pro-human or anti-alien, just pro-cerberus.
That is actually a very good way to put it. As shown throughout the trilogy, the only people Cerberus seem to care about advancing is Cerberus.
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine on Sun May 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Selim Bradley wrote:
RavenEyry wrote:More seriously, I think Cerberus isn't really pro-human or anti-alien, just pro-cerberus.
That is actually a very good way to put it. As shown throughout the trilogy, the only people Cerberus seem to care about advancing is Cerberus.
I'm still going to say that wanting to advance humans strictly really is stupid. Every species almost, is getting jiggy with it with every other species. And here at the end? They are all working together. If I see people suffering in another country and in my country, I won't treat the ones closer to me as more human. People are people.

Aside from being pro-cerberus.
It's like "We're a pro-human organization" and I'm like "why is that a good thing?"

Seriously every time TIM is saying he's doing it to advance humanity, I want to bitch slap him twice. 1st time for lying, 2nd time for using that has his alleged goal in the first place.

Terramine
Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Sun May 12, 2013 5:12 pm

IronicParticle wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:
I'm still going to say that wanting to advance humans strictly really is stupid. Every species almost, is getting jiggy with it with every other species. And here at the end? They are all working together. If I see people suffering in another country and in my country, I won't treat the ones closer to me as more human. People are people.
No, I get wanted to benefit just your race. Each country here on Earth have groups that advance just their own country. But Cerberus doesn't even benefit humanity, just those who are on Cerberus' payroll.
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Home run MF on Mon May 13, 2013 1:26 pm

IronicParticle wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:

Aside from being pro-cerberus.
It's like "We're a pro-human organization" and I'm like "why is that a good thing?"

Seriously every time TIM is saying he's doing it to advance humanity, I want to bitch slap him twice. 1st time for lying, 2nd time for using that has his alleged goal in the first place.
Perhaps that is what he tells his followers to keep them in line? He is a master manipulator don't forget that.
All I see is another Saren that only wants absolute power no matter the cost, a megalomaniac.

Gas Bag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top