The Xbox One

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Xbox One

Post by Guest on Sat May 25, 2013 6:14 pm

Dwaling wrote:All I can say about a lot of this is, Console Plebs, welcome to the world of the PC Gamer. We've been dealing with required internet connections and limited used games for a while now. We haven't dealt with always on microphones or lack of backwards compatibility (though there are some old games that take a LOT of work to get working), but it wouldn't surprise me if that starts being an issue at some point. Ain't the life of a modern gamer just grand?

Signed,

A Hardcore PC Gamer

Required Internet connections? Nope, it's not a blanket thing, and even on Steam, which is DRM, the limit is 2 weeks, not 24hours. Half my games don't require an Internet connection at all, in any way, and never will. XB1 games by default will.

Backwards compatibility? Nope, because hacks and torrents and mods and and and other stuff. People always find a way, at least if a game is popular enough/has dedicated enough players.

And DRM itself? Ha, screw them. If I bought the game, and they're not letting me install it on a new computer or something like that, off to pirating I go for that game. (Be aware that I only have some Gameboy roms and every other game I currently have, I bought - I'm only speaking on principle)

Consoles? GOOOODDD LUCKKKK (hacks and mods may exist, but they're a much bigger hassle)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Sun May 26, 2013 6:57 am

IronicParticle wrote:
DoomsdayDevice wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:Just hang onto your Xbox 360 to play your Xbox 360 games then. Simple solution for simple problem.

The problem is:

1. My 360 will die at some point. This is pretty much gauaranteed because it's a shoddy design.
2. 360 support will stop at some point

I'd like to be able to play my old games.

The only thing I wanted for the new Xbox is to have backwards compatibility.

I mean, the 360 is what, 8 years old? How hard is it to include a 360 emulator in the thing? Especially because 360 emulators already exist for PC.
If Xbox 360 games are so worth saving, someone will make an Emulator for PC. Someone was working on one before they canceled. I definitely know PCs got the hardware now days.

What the... you have no idea how much more power an emulator has to have compared to the real system, do you? Either of you? You need a very nice system to emulate even the PS2 worth a damn, and comparing the PS2 to the 360 is like comparing a goldfish to a great white shark. We're a very long ways away from a 360 emulator that even approaches the word "playable". And then there's compatibility. There's a lot of games that the PS2 emulators still won't work right with, even if you stole a computer from NASA.

And yes, the new Xbox is a complete abortion. Ball's in Sony's court now. As long as they don't pick it up and try to dry-hump it, it's safe to say they'll outscore Microsuck.

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Sun May 26, 2013 4:16 pm

The Nintendo Wii (not exactly known for its tons of processing power) was perfectly backwards compatible with Gamecube. But I guess I don't know shit.

Doesn't matter anyway, there's not a chance in hell I'll be getting the Xbox One.

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Sun May 26, 2013 5:14 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:The Nintendo Wii (not exactly known for its tons of processing power) was perfectly backwards compatible with Gamecube. But I guess I don't know shit.

Doesn't matter anyway, there's not a chance in hell I'll be getting the Xbox One.

You know why early PS3s could run PS2 games and later ones couldn't? They weren't emulating. They had an actual PS2 processor in them, completely separate from the PS3 one. When they realized people didn't want to take out a second mortgage for a video game console, that extra hardware was the first corner to get cut. Chances are Nintendo's doing the same thing. It's worlds apart from emulation software on a PC. So yeah...

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedingUranium on Sun May 26, 2013 11:36 pm

I don't see a problem with the used games thing or always connected thing.
BleedingUranium
Thresher Maw

Back to top Go down

Post by MovieMachine on Mon May 27, 2013 1:01 am

BleedingUranium wrote:I don't see a problem with the used games thing or always connected thing.

Then it is clear that you don't care about the folks who buy used games or have crappy, unreliable internet connections.
MovieMachine
Cannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by ericformans_sisterisdead on Mon May 27, 2013 6:17 am

To add on to the pile of shit that this system is nd gna be its region locked so i feel bad for any of u xbox fans living outta the us

Eric Forman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVT0b3nPyB8
ericformans_sisterisdead
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Mon May 27, 2013 7:56 am

BleedingUranium wrote:I don't see a problem with the used games thing or always connected thing.

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedingUranium on Mon May 27, 2013 8:06 am

Well it's not like used games actually exist, not like other used products. A car will wear and such over time, but games are digital content; they're the same as the day they were first bought, ten years later.

I could buy a game new for $60, used for much, much less (and little to none of that actually goes to the people who made the game), or even from a friend for free. It's a problem that only exists for digital content; if I buy food, I can't give it to other people along with eating it myself. It would be as if I bought a sandwich, and it spawned more sandwiches out of it that I could sell/give to other people. Multiple people would get to eat the sandwich, but the place that made it would only get paid for one.

"Used" games are basically just an excuse to not pay the devs for their work.
BleedingUranium
Thresher Maw

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry on Mon May 27, 2013 8:54 am

You realise the end of used games would be the end of physical games stores (along with thousands of jobs in them of course) right?
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Mon May 27, 2013 11:52 am

BleedingUranium wrote:Well it's not like used games actually exist, not like other used products. A car will wear and such over time, but games are digital content; they're the same as the day they were first bought, ten years later.

I could buy a game new for $60, used for much, much less (and little to none of that actually goes to the people who made the game), or even from a friend for free. It's a problem that only exists for digital content; if I buy food, I can't give it to other people along with eating it myself. It would be as if I bought a sandwich, and it spawned more sandwiches out of it that I could sell/give to other people. Multiple people would get to eat the sandwich, but the place that made it would only get paid for one.

What are you, a moron? If you sell the game, then you no longer have it to play. Like most any item used for entertainment that people sell used. It's not like a sandwich. That comparison is bad, and you should feel bad for using it. I know that's a meme, but I'm dead serious. You should literally feel ashamed of yourself for such an atrocious attempt at a metaphor. If anything, it's like a movie. Entertainment that exists as data on a disc. Funnily enough, you can still sell your used DVDs and Blu-rays. And I say this as someone who hasn't bought a used game since Chrono Trigger on the SNES, 18 years ago.

Pfft. Goddamn sandwich. Rolling Eyes

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by umadcommander on Mon May 27, 2013 12:22 pm

BleedingUranium wrote:Well it's not like used games actually exist, not like other used products. A car will wear and such over time, but games are digital content; they're the same as the day they were first bought, ten years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n5E7feJHw0
umadcommander
Rachni Brood Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Mon May 27, 2013 2:19 pm

Wow, just wow.... Did it ever occur to you that I'd happily pay the devs for their work if I could afford it? There are tons of people like me, who have to get by on minimum wage or even less. If it wasn't for used games, I wouldn't be able to afford games at all.

FYI, a new console game here costs €60 - €70, that is $80 - $93 (Canadian). It is incredibly expensive. It is almost a tenth of my monthly income. I mean, I can hardly pay for my gold subscription, remember?

Also, used discs have scratches on them, and I've had it happen to me on several occasions that I couldn't play a game because the disc couldn't be read anymore, so that reasoning is flawed as well.

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by lex0r on Mon May 27, 2013 3:51 pm

The problem with the "always connected thing" is that you are forced to do it. No matter what. Internet is not a always reliable thing everyone just has access to, not yet.

Here is an example. This might be a very specific case, but I'm sure there are quite a bit more. I've seen this example pop up on other sites as well.

I'm military. I'm not active at the moment but I saw how this will screw with a lot of people on deployment. People are away for at least 6 months or more. They want to have something for recreation. And I know a lot of folks overseas have a ps3 or xbox360. You will understand, games are fun times. Now here is the thing. Having internet/WIFI in a forward operating base or any other base is a luxury. You think these people will buy the new xbox? This one I read somewhere else. People on ships will have the same problem. They have limited funds to buy stuff for their rec rooms. Internet availability is another problem, not as much but still. What will they buy you think?

So I don't know how this will work. If it has to connect once a month or once every 2 weeks or you will be locked. Information is sketchy at best.

The essence of the problem is this. You are forced to do something. Some people will be unable at times to do it and get sidelined. Always-on reliable internet is not a thing for the whole world. It is not a problem for you? Good for you then. People are upset about this and rightly so.
lex0r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Mon May 27, 2013 10:04 pm

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by MaximizedAction on Tue May 28, 2013 10:30 am

At least no one here is losing their marbles, like Germany currently, over the xbone (love that name) being a supposedly potential surveillance device.

I don't think Microsoft ever asked for this publicity. I never asked for th

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Tue May 28, 2013 11:35 am

MaximizedAction wrote:At least no one here is losing their marbles, like Germany currently, over the xbone (love that name) being a supposedly potential surveillance device.

I don't think Microsoft ever asked for this publicity. I never asked for th

Fixed. :)

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jusseb on Tue May 28, 2013 12:55 pm

There a still quite a few stores here in the Netherlands that support the used game trade. I can buy used games there and i can swap them to get a discount on others.

I also sell my games when i'm done playing them. All that is not possible anymore with the new Xbox, if the information that they revealed is right.

It's like i can't drive my dad's Mercedes anymore because i have to buy one myself.

I think Sony has the ball now, and they'll be eager to score a touchdown. And i think they will. Many people already wandered to side of Sony, many will follow if they don't change the Xbox one.
Jusseb
Geth Pyro

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Tue May 28, 2013 1:10 pm

Jusseb wrote:There a still quite a few stores here in the Netherlands that support the used game trade. I can buy used games there and i can swap them to get a discount on others.

I also sell my games when i'm done playing them. All that is not possible anymore with the new Xbox, if the information that they revealed is right.

It's like i can't drive my dad's Mercedes anymore because i have to buy one myself.

I think Sony has the ball now, and they'll be eager to score a touchdown. And i think they will. Many people already wandered to side of Sony, many will follow if they don't change the Xbox one.

Used games? Hell, by all reports you won't be able to play your roommate's games. It'll be especially nice for those parents who get their kids each a system because they always fight over it. Now they have to buy each kid a copy of every game too! But Blur doesn't see the problem because used sandwiches, herp a derp.

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Jusseb on Tue May 28, 2013 1:46 pm

If they really go that far they'll smash there own windows. They'll probably introduce family accounts where you got to pay a small fee to play games that you already own scratch
Jusseb
Geth Pyro

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Tue May 28, 2013 4:26 pm

Rifneno wrote:
Jusseb wrote:There a still quite a few stores here in the Netherlands that support the used game trade. I can buy used games there and i can swap them to get a discount on others.

Used games? Hell, by all reports you won't be able to play your roommate's games. It'll be especially nice for those parents who get their kids each a system because they always fight over it. Now they have to buy each kid a copy of every game too! But Blur doesn't see the problem because used sandwiches, herp a derp.

Ah geez, yeah, I didn't even think of that. You know how many of my friend's games I've borrowed, just to give them a try and see if I want to get them... that won't be possible any more either. Picard Facepalm

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryri on Tue May 28, 2013 5:17 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:

Ah geez, yeah, I didn't even think of that. You know how many of my friend's games I've borrowed, just to give them a try and see if I want to get them... that won't be possible any more either. Picard Facepalm

Well if it works like the PS3's system, your friend might be able to log in to your xBox and then tick the box to stay logged in, so you could maybe continue to play the game using his account. It's hardly an ideal situation though.
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by lex0r on Tue May 28, 2013 6:33 pm

Microsoft: "We are designing the new Kinect with simple, easy methods to customize privacy settings."

https://www.youtube.com/lex0r
"I like to think about the first law of thermodynamics, that no energy in the universe is created and none is destroyed. Every bit of energy inside us, every particle will go on to be a part of something else. And every part of us now was once a part of some other thing."
lex0r
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry on Tue May 28, 2013 8:14 pm

lex0r11 wrote:Microsoft: "We are designing the new Kinect with simple, easy methods to customize privacy settings."

Perhaps the console comes with a sheet to throw over the kinect.
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Tue May 28, 2013 8:27 pm

RavenEyry wrote:
lex0r11 wrote:Microsoft: "We are designing the new Kinect with simple, easy methods to customize privacy settings."

Perhaps the console comes with a sheet to throw over the kinect.

I wonder how many consoles will die in the first year alone because someone put something over them to block that goddamn eye and it overheated the system.

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top