Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theorists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mass Effect:Invasion

Go down

Mass Effect:Invasion Empty Mass Effect:Invasion

Post by Mist_MD Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:14 pm

Issue 1:
Issue 2:
Issue 3:
Issue 4:
Mist_MD
Mist_MD
Mercenary

Back to top Go down

Mass Effect:Invasion Empty Re: Mass Effect:Invasion

Post by Guest Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:57 am

One of the worse series imo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mist_MD Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:48 pm

SwobyJ wrote:One of the worse series imo.
Care to explain why?
Mist_MD
Mist_MD
Mercenary

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:46 pm

I know there's some nuance with character interaction, but the whole thing feels like:

Boom boom
+
Ahh zombies!
+
Aria so kewl

(very simple way of putting it)

Kinda like Omega DLC. Except Omega DLC is just a piece of a larger game experience with lulls to add actual depth.

And now whatever I did enjoy of this comic is ruined. Not because of the comic itself, but because of Omega DLC :(. The Omega situation reduced to a quick revolution, Petrosky reduced to being a cardboard cutout. Adjutants reduced to being some mean monsters instead of the more real and horrifying threat of the comic (and they still didn't get properly explained).

So yeah, two main reasons:
1)This comic felt more shallow than the others
2)Now whatever I DID enjoy, is ruined by future game content, making this comic feel 'uncanon'.

At least it's not a certain Mass Effect book.

Honestly most of the comics don't really do it for me. They try to infuse them with too much 'tude, without realizing a huge part of Mass Effect's charm isn't that, it is how that 'tude interacts with the several other elements (humor, seriousness, complexity, simplicity, all showcased at various times). They feel 'one note', and that sucks because I've read plenty of comics that do otherwise, so it doesn't have to be this way.

I didn't even buy this comic. Just went to Chapters, easily thumbed through it for a short period (still read everything), shrugged, and moved on. A smaller and more PG version of it would be found in cereal boxes when I was young (obviously an exaggeration).

There's so many things I want to learn about Omega that the writers (comics, game, whatever) seem to not want to touch, and instead focus on pew pew and "Rawr this place is mine!" stuff. It's a shame.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mist_MD Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:58 pm

SwobyJ wrote:I know there's some nuance with character interaction, but the whole thing feels like:

Boom boom
+
Ahh zombies!
+
Aria so kewl
Truth be told,that was basically the premise of the comic (except the zed and Petrovsky,they were a surprise) so its not really a surprise.Hell,the main points of the comic are Petrovsky and the Adjutants.And it gave us hope that this will turn into something awesome since it has been made clear that we will have to deal with Omega in the game(though we all know that ended in the fires of EA corporate bullshit).
The Omega situation reduced to a quick revolution, Petrosky reduced to being a cardboard cutout. Adjutants reduced to being some mean monsters instead of the more real and horrifying threat of the comic (and they still didn't get properly explained)
Which are the main reasons (for me these are the latter two) the DLC can dissapear from the face of the universe and the EA executives can die in a ditch somewhere.
This comic felt more shallow than the others
Well,I felt that it was exactly like the others-another backstory to the events of the main series.No more,no less (though I'm not denying that they could have been better).
And yes,I have read the other comics (mainly from Youtube uploads before they got cut down).
Now whatever I DID enjoy, is ruined by future game content, making this comic feel 'uncanon'.
I actually felt the opposite effect.Think about it-the last two issues basically scream "Cerberus Civil War on Omega" and the writer of these comics is non other than Mac "The Hack" Walters.So its obvious that this scenario was in the works.So the fact that whatever Walters had planned got scrapped and the DLC got handed over to the Multiplayer team actually makes the DLC non-canon.
At least it's not a certain Mass Effect book.
And thank god for that!
Honestly most of the comics don't really do it for me. They try to infuse them with too much 'tude, without realizing a huge part of Mass Effect's charm isn't that, it is how that 'tude interacts with the several other elements (humor, seriousness, complexity, simplicity, all showcased at various times). They feel 'one note', and that sucks because I've read plenty of comics that do otherwise, so it doesn't have to be this way.
Like I said,the comics were backstories to the main series.I guess Walters thought that it would be enough to fill some gaps in the storyline and that that would be enough (or-in Redemption and Invasion's case-that the game will expand on this).To the average ME fan the comics are (i guess-feel free to blow me away if i'm wrong) at least acceptable.
There's so many things I want to learn about Omega that the writers (comics, game, whatever) seem to not want to touch, and instead focus on pew pew and "Rawr this place is mine!" stuff. It's a shame.
I'm with you on this one.Walters probably had some ideas but sadly the idea to use the "bad russian" card and save some time/cash/whatever won over and we have...this turd called "Omega".
I still don't get why you consider it one of the worst though.It seems like you are mostly dissapointed about the DLC than the comic (again,feel free to blow me to oblivion if I'm wrong).It's not the comics fault that "Omega" got messed up.

Well...that took me a while to write.I also put a bit too much trust in Walters.Oh well.
Mist_MD
Mist_MD
Mercenary

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:12 pm

Yeah keep in mind I'm not hating on it calling it 'one of the worse series'. Kinda weird but I mean that!

I think the whole thing (comic PLUS DLC together) can only be salvaged in *my* eyes if they show that it (the DLC, not comic) was (here it comes...) all a memory reconstruction by Shepard in rubble (like the rest of game/series?) and while Shepard might have actually liberated Omega 'before', the version we play is kinda warped and weird, due to Shepard trying to 'breach the darkness' more and wake himself up.

Consider it Bad Wolf (Doctor Who) + Inception + Matrix, all behind the scenes, to explain the 'off details' between content.

It's either a sad or awesome thing that whatever Mac touches, I can easily interpret as 'false reality'. -_-

~~~

Oh, my point is that while originally I'd call the comic average.. now having played the DLC (and I consider game stuff more 'canon' than comics, thus my logic here), the comic feels kinda shit.

It's alright on its own merits, I guess is what I'm saying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down