Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theorists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FF Brawl: Let's Just Have It Out

+4
Raistlin Majere
Hrothdane
RavenEyry
BlueLogic
8 posters

Go down

FF Brawl:  Let's Just Have It Out Empty FF Brawl: Let's Just Have It Out

Post by BlueLogic Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:39 pm

Final Fantasy has touched gamers from every generation.  So much so, there is no need for further introduction to what will soon become a bloody battlefield in the war to determine which is the greatest of the series.  Come armed with persuasive argument, screenshots, links to music, and whatever else you can muster to make the case for your favorite.

EDIT: Kudos to lex0r11 for the idea.
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

FF Brawl:  Let's Just Have It Out Empty Re: FF Brawl: Let's Just Have It Out

Post by RavenEyry Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:35 pm

HROOARGH! I ACTUALLY LIKE MOST OF 13's PLOT AND CHARACTERS!

THIS MADE ME HATE 13-2 EVEN MORE THAN EVERYONE ELSE!
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:57 pm

Not to ruin the discussion before it even begins, but I'm going to go ahead and reveal the obvious and objective winner of the contest (though it hardly needs to be said).  Final Fantasy VI is by far the greatest of the series, so please discuss entries for second place.  Tongue  <---Indicates joke lol

Exibit A: The greatest villain in video games.
FF Brawl:  Let's Just Have It Out Final_fantasy_vi_kefka

...What?  Oh, I forget some cannot discern the pure evil through the pixels.  Very well:
FF Brawl:  Let's Just Have It Out Final-11
There he is pictured confronting the heroes just before the final battle.  

After a rousing speech, the heroes your party deliver their heartfelt lines refuting his nihilistic vision for the world.  His rebuttal:
FF Brawl:  Let's Just Have It Out Kefka5
Win.  

Also, he shoots lazors that would make Harby green with envy.

Exibit B:  An amazing soundtrack.
Chiptunes (.SPC):  http://www.zophar.net/music/spc/final-fantasy-vi.html
MP3:  http://www.ffextreme.com/ff6/music.html
Also, check out OCRemix's free "Balance and Ruin" album for some great remixes of this classic.

Exibit C:  Epic Plot.  
Now, the whole FF series has this in spades, no doubt.  VI is special in that
Spoiler:

Exibit D:  Well Developed Characters.
With the exception of some of the late comers, the stories of each of the characters in your party are well explored leading to the development of a deep appreciation for their personalities.  

Exibit E:  Memorable Moments:
Opera scene.  General Leo disobeys orders.  Poisoning of Doma.  Banquet with the Emperor.  Coin toss.  Rachel falls.  Death of Terra's mother.  My personal favorite:  Stranded on an island, trying to survive, hoping beyond hope, and finally...giving up.

Last edited by BlueLogic on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Hrothdane Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:46 pm

Eh, more FFVI worship....

I'm sorry to say this, but the rabid VI fans are becoming almost as annoying as the rabid VII fans.
Hrothdane
Hrothdane
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:50 pm

What about that post was 'rabid'?

Anyway, my childhood favorite was FF9, despite the cut content and iffy story towards the end.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hrothdane Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:59 pm

SwobyJ wrote:What about that post was 'rabid'?

Anyway, my childhood favorite was FF9, despite the cut content and iffy story towards the end.
That part of my post was targetted less towards Blue and more towards the fanbase in general.

Though I did roll my eyes at "obvious and objective winner of the contest (though it hardly needs to be said)" and "greatest villain in video games."
Hrothdane
Hrothdane
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:02 pm

Hrothdane wrote:

That part of my post was targetted less towards Blue and more towards the fanbase in general.

Though I did roll my eyes at "obvious and objective winner of the contest (though it hardly needs to be said)" and "greatest villain in video games."
Sorry, was trying to be so obnoxious about it that it would be clear I wasn't really being serious.  *wipes the fake foam from his mouth*

Disclaimer inserted into post Tongue

EDIT: Now, come along.  I expect a compelling and positive post for your personal favorite from everyone (particularly you...Mr. Golbez).

Last edited by BlueLogic on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Hrothdane Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:09 pm

BlueLogic wrote:
Hrothdane wrote:

Sorry, was trying to be so obnoxious about it that it would be clear I wasn't really being serious.  *wipes the fake foam from his mouth*

Disclaimer inserted into post Tongue 
Damn Poe's Law strikes again!

i literally just had someone rant about how great FFVI was a few days ago, and I've talked to people that will claim those things entirely seriously.
Hrothdane
Hrothdane
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:15 pm

Hrothdane wrote:
Damn Poe's Law strikes again!

i literally just had someone rant about how great FFVI was a few days ago, and I've talked to people that will claim those things entirely seriously.
Grin   LOL, was unaware that had been codified into a law. Now I know what to call it.
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:23 pm

FFVI is my favourite among the ones I've played by far, but I find Kefka pretty meh to be honest. For the evulz as a motivation can work (Reapers Whistling) but most of the time they're just boring.

I love the rest of the leading characters, the gameplay, music and plot though.
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:19 pm

I have 3 Final Fantasies I consider the greatest, VI, VII and IX. Each for their own reasons.

VI certainly has Kefka going for it as he is a great villain and the entire part where the world is destroyed is just a fantastic and shocking development in the game. The characters are pretty interesting, though I feel that perhaps there were to many, as many fall into the background as the game goes on. This is a common complaint for me about the Final Fantasy games however.

VI is solid though with many memorable moments and great variety in the character skills.

VII I recognize for what a landmark it was in graphics and sound (One Winged Angel) in the series and the game is certainly not bad either. While many shocked and gasped over Aerith's death, it was not so big to me. Sure I did not know it was coming despite playing FFVII late, but I played games like Baldur's Gate 2 and Knights of the Old Republic before FFVII so Aerith's death did not blow the lid on me after those games.

Still it was a memorable experience with the graphics making some amazing cut scenes and set pieces possible.

And Final Fantasy IX.

I doubt many will agree, but this my favorite of them all. First of I love the art style, I know it turns some people of, but to me it was perfect along with the more fantasy focused setting as opposed to the Sci-Fantasy and Steampunk Final Fantasy embraced with FFVI, VII and VIII.

But what makes this game my favorite is the characters. I loved Zidane and his high spirits, slightly perverted way to be around women and his over all positive attitude. Freya Crescent and her trials made me feel like crying alongside the rain of her home. But Vivi was the one who stole the show. The resident small and clumsy black mage was a adorable, but also deeply troubled person struggling with the meaning of his own life.

Vivi represented in a way reflected the story, being cute and adorable on the outside, but deeply troubled, just as the games graphics certainly did not make it cut back on the themes tackled or the body count.

Each character dealt with some of their own problems and many had to face them, overcome them or learn to live with them, evolving most of them before the game reached its end.

I say most of them though as just as it is one of the games great strengths, its characters also represent a part of its weaker bit, more specifically characters falling in the background or never really having a clear purpose like Amarant and sadly Freya. Freya's story does not feel finished after the arc focusing on it which sadly relegates her to the background for a long time.

The soundtrack is brilliant though, especially the tune playing over this part of the game which also serves as one of the greatest moments of the game: (Spoilers!)

But all of this is just my opinion.
Raistlin Majere
Raistlin Majere
N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Hrothdane Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:01 pm

I have played IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, X, XI, XII, and XIII

My order of preference would have X followed by IV at the top, XIII and XI near the bottom, and the others kinda floating around in the nebulous middle ground.

X is my favorite for many reasons, but quite a few of those are personal to me and I don't expect others to share them. Some are gameplay-related, such as how I prefer full turn-based combat, and others are story-related, such as how the story and characters connected with me personally. To Zanarkand is one of my favorite songs ever in anything, and I still hum the Hymn of the Fayth as a way to relax myself. I honestly love everything about the game.

I don't hate VI. I actually rather liked the game until the World of Ruin and the narrative lost all momentum.

Also, I know this is heresy, but I don't care much for the opera scene. It started strong (albeit with perhaps the most eye-rolling plot contrivance in the series until VIII), but Ultros showing up and turning it into a Looney Tunes adventure with his cartoon anvil completely spoiled it for me.

It's a shame, as I rather enjoyed the music. Nobuo Uematsu's Black Mages arrangement of the opera scene is quite epic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBTmopsDJNk
Hrothdane
Hrothdane
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:43 pm

Hrothdane wrote:Eh, more FFVI worship....

I'm sorry to say this, but the rabid VI fans are becoming almost as annoying as the rabid VII fans.
I know, right?

And Kefka is a shitty villain.  He's a bad ripoff of The Joker from Batman.  He dresses like a gay rodeo clown for reasons never explained, and his entire backstory is one nameless NPC saying "I heard a rumor that magic experiments made him nuts."  He spends his entire time ranting about wanting to destroy everything.  Congratulations Kefka, you've the elite mentality of an 8 year old with a box of fireworks.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:49 pm

VIII is my fave. I think it's down to the massive amount of customisation options via junctioning and weapon construction options. Squall was a whinny bitch of a lead character who you couldnt really get attached to, but this just made it better for me because of the supporting cast of the likes of Zell Dincht. Selphie, Laguna Loire, Rinoa, that cowboy dude who's always on the pull (irvine .... thats the fellow) Quisty, Edea, Seifer, Fujin, Raijin. Sorcery and time travel. Summoning and loss of memory. I just love it. Plus the card game to end all card games.

I have it on my PS3 (along with 7 + 9) and dip back into it from time to time and I think it still holds up pretty well.

That is followed in my faves list by Final Fantasy 10. It's a great game and the twist towards the end is utterly brilliant.

My least fave is FF13-2. Utter shite. Closely followed by FFX-2.
dorktainian
dorktainian
Sovereign

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:11 pm

Fun to read about other people's experiences with the FF series.  My own began with IV and then VI in high school.  VII landed while I was in college.  Sadly I missed VIII at the time as my roommate with the PSX moved out.  I missed out on everything after that, writing off the whole series as "something to do when I finally get the time".  I'm starting to think that "the time" got lost in the mail between there and here.  

That hasn't stopped me from acquiring the actual games themselves.  I currently own VIII, IX (I think), X, X2, and XII.  In fact, watching my wife's cousin play XII rekindled my interest to the point where I bought a PS2 just to play it.  I flew through the game until I hit a massive grind wall so high I couldn't imagine putting in the time required to scale it.  

If nothing else, playing XII gave me an even greater appreciation for the pace at which Bioware games (and more modern games in general) deliver plot content.  

It's not only FF games lining up in my "to be completed" queue.  The entire MGS 1-3 awaits, along with Shadow of the Colossus, Metroid Prime 2 and 3, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess sit on my shelf staring at me with judging eyes.  Ah well.  One day.

EDIT:  To keep this on topic:  
Rifneno wrote:
And Kefka is a shitty villain.  He's a bad ripoff of The Joker from Batman.
Joker never did much for me until "The Dark Knight", but then I've never read the comics.  Had you made that comparison to me back in the 90's I would have sneered with condescension.  From the perspective of someone more familiar and/or enamored with Batman, or of the reverse with FF VI, it's a valid criticism.  
Rifneno wrote:He dresses like a gay rodeo clown for reasons never explained, and his entire backstory is one nameless NPC saying "I heard a rumor that magic experiments made him nuts."
Welcome to 16-bit gaming.  I can't recall an example of much more compelling exposition from games at the time (with regard to the villain's origins).  Besides, who cares why he is the way he is.  That's half the reason I find him refreshing as a villain (perhaps only in retrospect and in comparison to many modern narratives).  There is no reason to feel sorry for him.  He has no claim to victimhood, unlike so many who we are made to "understand" or are "morally grey".  That's all well and good at times, but I find irredeemable evil, not as some supernatural force, but rather as a human desire, interesting and sadly realistic.

Rifneno wrote:He spends his entire time ranting about wanting to destroy everything.  Congratulations Kefka, you've the elite mentality of an 8 year old with a box of fireworks.
That's why I keep a wary eye on children.  Especially those armed with explosives.
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by WeAreHarbinger Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:12 am

I loved FF X, it was "my" Final Fantasy as a friend introduced me to it. His was VII i think. X-2 was a bit flat.
WeAreHarbinger
WeAreHarbinger
Blood Pack Boom-Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:57 am

Epic two year necrothread.  RISE FROM THE DEAD, MY MINION!

But I had a thought I just have to share.  "Pulling a necron" has become the phrase of choice for a shitty final boss battle out of nowhere with an enemy you never knew existed.  I think I realize now why they put Necron in FFIX.  IX was wall-to-wall self-references and fanservice.  It was constant throwbacks and references to earlier games in the series.  Well, so was Necron.

He was a reference to Cloud of Darkness from FFIII.  I'm guessing nobody "got" it because English speaking audiences rarely played FFIII.  But think about it.  Kuja and Xande are both superwizards who find out they're going to die, go insane, and decide that since they have to die it's only fair that everyone else dies too.  And not just anytime but right the fuck now.  Then the heroes beat them and have to confront a mysterious cosmic force that represents nothingness and death, and seeks to revert reality itself to its "original state" of nothingness.  Cloud of Darkness in FFIII, and Necron in FFIX.  It gets even better when you find out "Necron" is a bad translation.  Necron's Japanese name translates literally into English as "Eternal Darkness."  Cloud of Darkness, Eternal Darkness.

There's way, way too many parallels to be a product of chance.  Kuja and Xande are the only two villains I've ever known that had that exact motivation.  Not just in Final Fantasy but in any story.

It's still a shitty ending and I don't think they should've done it twice (doing it on the NES was fine, stories sucked there anyway).  But it's a lot easier to swallow knowing it was just another cheeky self-reference.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by CSSteele Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:58 pm

Never played a single FF game.
CSSteele
CSSteele
Nemesis

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:05 pm

CSSteele wrote:Never played a single FF game.
...  Okay?
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:12 pm

Good idea about Necron.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content