Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theorists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition

5 posters

Go down

Baldur's Gate II:  Enhanced Edition Empty Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition

Post by ElSuperGecko Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:13 pm

I've just noticed that BG2:EE has been released on Steam. I'mglad Beamdog finally got their licensing/legal issues resolved and managed to release the game.
ElSuperGecko
ElSuperGecko
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Baldur's Gate II:  Enhanced Edition Empty Re: Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition

Post by BlueLogic Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:52 am

Ahh, BG2. A truly majestic game. I really need to play through that again. But what class to play??? So many possibilities. So many arcane rules to exploit. It's been...at least 10 years since I put it down in favor of NWN. Will have to see what is enhanced about this release.
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Baldur's Gate II:  Enhanced Edition Empty Re: Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition

Post by Raistlin Majere Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:46 am

BlueLogic wrote:Ahh, BG2.  A truly majestic game.  I really need to play through that again.  But what class to play???  So many possibilities.  So many arcane rules to exploit.  It's been...at least 10 years since I put it down in favor of NWN.  Will have to see what is enhanced about this release.
I wonder if they fixed up the Rogues "Use Any Item" special feat. From the description it was intended for easy use of wands and scrolls but it turned out to be exactly what it says on the tin making Rogues able to use any item regardless of class, race, proficiency or alignment restriction.

Pretty fun.
Raistlin Majere
Raistlin Majere
N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:42 pm

From what I've heard of BG1's EE, it's a shame they got the rights to port II as well.

Raistlin Majere wrote:
BlueLogic wrote:Ahh, BG2.  A truly majestic game.  I really need to play through that again.  But what class to play???  So many possibilities.  So many arcane rules to exploit.  It's been...at least 10 years since I put it down in favor of NWN.  Will have to see what is enhanced about this release.
I wonder if they fixed up the Rogues "Use Any Item" special feat. From the description it was intended for easy use of wands and scrolls but it turned out to be exactly what it says on the tin making Rogues able to use any item regardless of class, race, proficiency or alignment restriction.

Pretty fun.
Meh. Use any item was fine. Did it make thieves awesome? Sure. So did stuff like dragon's breath for mages. Without use any item, thieves were terrible. You needed a low level dual classed one to unlock stuff and get traps, but other than that, they were garbage. Use Any Item gave them a powerful reward for sticking with a shit class until high levels. That's how RPGs work--used to work. If you suck at low levels, you're great at high levels. Perfect description of a thief.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:55 am

Picked up BG1:EE on steam sale. Going with Wizard.

Or black guard.

Who am I kidding? I can't even do a proper Renegade playthrough. No way I can handle BG.
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by ElSuperGecko Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:26 pm

I've finally made it into Baldur's Gate myself in my BG:EE playthrough.

Unfortunately, it's now so long since I last fired it up I'm not sure what class my actual player character is...
ElSuperGecko
ElSuperGecko
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:07 pm

Trying to get going on this amazing adventure, but I've hit a few...road blocks.  I've been slain in a single hit by a random thug on my way through the starting area.  Ok, screw wizard, I think to myself.  Let's get someone who can take a hit or two.  Pure fighter...nice.  Killed by a [expletive] wizard on the steps of an inn just past the starting area.  *Sigh*

Ok, that was a fluke.  RELOAD.

But seriously, as an aside, is there anything more infuriating in the whole of gaming than the classic D&D fear spell being applied to your hulking death machine about to cut down the twig of a spell caster in front of him?  The only thing that comes close in my mind is watching him wet himself and continue to run all about town bouncing from wall to wall like a urine soaked pinball even minutes after the little girl with the short bow killed the wizard (probably by accident).

So, riding high (and finally dry) after my harrowing victory over the most powerful CR 1 wizard ever, I'm one-shotted by another totally different wizard with invisibility and a lightning bolt.  

REBUILD.

I've beaten BGII years ago. I swear! This low level D&D is apparently akin to a beautiful field of green grass...littered with hidden piles of bullshit.
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Humakt Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:43 pm

BlueLogic wrote:
But seriously, as an aside, is there anything more infuriating in the whole of gaming than the classic D&D fear spell being applied to your hulking death machine about to cut down the twig of a spell caster in front of him?  The only thing that comes close in my mind is watching him wet himself and continue to run all about town bouncing from wall to wall like a urine soaked pinball even minutes after the little girl with the short bow killed the wizard (probably by accident).
If you think Fear spell is bad just wait till you get Level Drained, Imprisoned, turned to stone, etc.
Humakt
Humakt
Nightmare

http://www.celestialheavens.com/thundermaps/

Back to top Go down

Post by ElSuperGecko Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:46 am

The original BG is definitely VERY unforgiving at the start of the game (in the finest traditions of AD&D). Although there's not a huge number of encounters in the first few areas, they can be brutal for low levels if you're not careful - and especially for a mage.

The very first area after Candlekeep includes a single wolf encounter which saw the end of me (or Imoen) on more than one occasion.

It's a case of caution first. Equip missile weapons, keep a healthy distance, use lead with your fighters at the front when removing fog of war and use them as roadblocks. Mages are very powerful (and very important) late game, but they need a bit of bubblewrapping.

And fear's got NOTHING on Dire Charm. Damn sirines.
ElSuperGecko
ElSuperGecko
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down