Just saw Gravity.... obvious spoilers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Just saw Gravity.... obvious spoilers

Post by noobcannon on Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:00 am

Might be the best movie I've ever seen. Anyone else?

"You thought you were so special? Better than everyone else outside this room? You traded your freedom for the luxury of feeling superior. You accepted the group's will over your own conviction, no matter who you hurt. You thought you were just "going along for the ride", and you could just walk away at any moment. But where were you heading? How far would you have gone?"
noobcannon
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Re: Just saw Gravity.... obvious spoilers

Post by MovieMachine on Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:22 am

Surely the best 3D movie I've ever seen, at least.

A simple and effective story, fantastic visuals, great lead character, awesome soundtrack, great pacing, bucketloads of tension.

I've actually watched it in theaters twice now, which is something I almost never do (I've only done it once before).

It's quite a ride.
MovieMachine
Cannibal

Back to top Go down

Post by noobcannon on Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:07 am

if not my all time favorite movie, certainly the best ending. for just a second while i was watching it i thought of the mass effect 3 destroy ending and what could have been...... how i felt watching gravity those last 10 minutes...... sigh

"You thought you were so special? Better than everyone else outside this room? You traded your freedom for the luxury of feeling superior. You accepted the group's will over your own conviction, no matter who you hurt. You thought you were just "going along for the ride", and you could just walk away at any moment. But where were you heading? How far would you have gone?"
noobcannon
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:13 am

Alfonso Cuarón: That was the point, for us, of the film. Adversities and the possibility of rebirth. And rebirth also metaphorical in the sense of gaining a new knowledge of ourselves. We have a character that is drifting metaphorical and literally, drifting towards the void. A victim of their own inertia. Getting farther and farther away from Earth where life and human connections are. And probably she was like that when she was on planet Earth, before leaving for the mission. It's a character who lives in her own bubble. And she has to shred that skin to start learning at the end. This is a character who we stick in the ground, again, and learns how to walk.

Space already lends itself to all these metaphorical possibilities. I think rebirth in many ways is part of the journey for everybody, not only every human in Earth, but it's also the journey of great characters. Great characters in literature or in cinema they go through the stages of rebirth and of a new understanding.

And also while in the dirt, [that] was something that we wanted to have as a nurturing aspect of life. A character who has to reconnect to her inner nurturing side. The amazing side of life, that keeps us alive. Even if inside you feel you want to die, there's a bigger life impulse that keeps us alive.

~~~

Spoiler:
Internet Poster: I gotta say I strongly disagree. I saw no "space is off-limits" theme. If you remember, a big part of the movie hinged on dealing with death and, at two moments, characters accepted death willingly—Clooney when he drifts away and Bullock when she says she's ready to die if that's what re-entry brings.

When Clooney's character goes, he's still in a state of awe, noticing the sunrise on the Ganges. There is no sense of regret, but more of a thankfulness that he got to see it. In fact, he says to Bullock's character that she should see it, but neither she—nor us viewers get to share that view. I don't think that's accidental. I think that, in a movie of (as you pointed out), filled with unique and amazing visions, we were told there's even more beauty and more to see and Clooney's acceptance of his end seemed to suggest the knowledge, beauty and wonder are worth sometimes dreadful costs. And only those willing to pay those costs get to experience them.

Similarly, when Bullock's character says that she will either land or burn up on re-entry, she also says that she's ready for both possible outcomes, because it will be "one hell of a ride." Remember that this is a character who has spent her time dealing with her daughter's death by driving aimlessly here on earth. Those rides are clearly not healing her or really helping her cope or, in fact, getting her anywhere meaningful. Yet, Bullock goes from a person who is barely alive on earth and "hates space" to a person who has come to realize that life itself is a sublime experience and she's been fortunate enough in experiencing that rare moment that she's ready to accept the fact it may be her last experience. She's no longer the frightened, nervous woman who hates space, but a woman realizing that, though we all must die, she got this amazing moment and it was worth it if she doesn't survive.

So, that's my read. I got no "humans don't belong in space" vibe, but, rather, a strong sense of a moral that was specifically applied to Bullock's character overcoming her daughter's death and could be implied as an admonition to those who would say, as you suggest the movie does, that we should stay out of space: Tragedies will happen, but giving up is the worst tragedy.

Back to top Go down

Post by TurianRebel212 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:44 am

It was alright. Bullock was surprisingly not too annoying so that was nice.

In terms of visuals, score, sound design and cinematography it was stellar.

The script was okay I guess. Acting was above average. But I found the setting and atmosphere the strongest aspects of the film.

I'd give it a 7 or 8 outta 10.

Banshee

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian on Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:28 pm

loved the bit where the astronaut they left dead on the orbiter had that hole punched through his head... in space no one can hear you scream... wait wrong franchise British Ninja 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top