Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Rifneno on Thu 9 Jan 2014 - 22:28

I was wondering if they were drawing inspiration from Mass Effect.  Coulson's Project Lazarus and gravitonium mainly.  Coulson is brought back from certain death using unknown and unethical sciences and even he doesn't know the truth of it.  Okay, maybe that's a common enough trope.  But gravitonium?  It's a newly discovered element that, when you apply electrical energy to it, creates fields that can manipulate mass or gravity.  That's exactly what element zero is.  Like word for word.  The only difference was that they used "gravity" instead of "mass" to dumb it down for the masses, though the two are relatively interchangeable when the work of fiction doesn't leave Earth (as in SHIELD).  Then I saw this posted on Gamespot...



The top image is an Alliance base in ME3 promo art, and the bottom is SHIELD base.  It's easy to see the similarities at first glance.  Look a little bit harder and they become beyond question.  The placement of the lines and windows, even the faded red stripe is copied.  They couldn't even have done that from memory.  They had to literally be looking at this piece of ME3 art when they designed that place for SHIELD.  The basic structure is barely even changed.

Oh, right.  Good show too.  Keeps me guessing (and usually guessing wrong) more than I expected.  Thoughts?

_________________
Remember folks.  We didn't get A, B, C endings.  We got A, A, A endings.
avatar
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Posts : 2620
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 36
Location : Razgriz Straits

Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Thu 9 Jan 2014 - 23:23

I agree, Rifnieno. When I first saw gravitonium in the reactor, I immediately imagined the Mass Relay. Both had the shifting mass surrounded by circling rings to keep it stabilized.

Here's a Mass relay:


And here's the Gravitonium Reactor:


That with the Agent Coulson being brought back to life(which by the way I loved since Coulson is one of my favorite characters in the Marvel universe) and the SHIELD base looking identical to the Alliance building, there is definitely enough evidence there to show that the writers and artists were influenced by the Mass Effect franchise.

And yeah, the plot twists and mysteries really keep you gripped to the series, as well as the plot itself. Definitely reccomend it to everyone here.
avatar
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Posts : 3094
Join date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Fur28 on Fri 10 Jan 2014 - 1:14

nice find, didn't notice the similarity with the gravitomium, I just assumed it was something from the comics and didn't look much into it.
Now I guess I'll put  attention in similarities with the SHIELD surgery and project Lazarus, and maybe IT with the "Magical Place".

Also, good show, kinda slow but I'm sure there is a lot of setting for the last episodes of the season.
Hoping they will be able to use Samuel L. Jackson in a future episode for some kind of confrontation between Coulson and Nick Fury or if not maybe in Avengers 2.

And I wonder if they'll use the technology from Coulson's surgery for the origin of Ultron in Avengers2

_________________
I Love Selim Heart
Anti-Shield Drill (Super Effective against the Ultimate Shield)

Fur28
Commando

Posts : 1278
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 23
Location : Mexico

Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by RavenEyry on Fri 10 Jan 2014 - 3:52

It is something from the comics but probably looks different. I think that scientist guy becomes the supervillian Gravitron or something like that.

I do like the show, thought it had a slow start but it was enough to keep me interested enough for the next one. (Like all Whedon shows I guess).
avatar
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Posts : 1702
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 24
Location : Lincoln, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by BRAVO543211 on Fri 10 Jan 2014 - 12:53

Damn, fell asleep and missed the last episode.

_________________
The Literalist horde rises against us. They fight in vain. They shall succumb and accept IT, or they will be annihilated.
"Some people call these things demons, I call them bitches!"-Bourbon,describing Demons from Metro.
Paragade for life.
"If it's hostile, you kill it."- Hunter, motto of the Rangers
avatar
BRAVO543211
Varren

Posts : 422
Join date : 2013-01-10
Age : 21
Location : The horrble irradiated remains of Boston, on a quest to locate the Scourge of the Wastes, DCHoaxer

Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Guest on Fri 10 Jan 2014 - 16:04

Dammit, now time to download another show :(. Breaking Bad marathon was enough, world!  Mad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Rifneno on Sat 11 Jan 2014 - 10:50

Selim Bradley wrote:I agree, Rifnieno. When I first saw gravitonium in the reactor, I immediately imagined the Mass Relay. Both had the shifting mass surrounded by circling rings to keep it stabilized.

Hah. You're right, I forgot about that part. Excellent point.

Selim Bradley wrote:That with the Agent Coulson being brought back to life(which by the way I loved since Coulson is one of my favorite characters in the Marvel universe) and the SHIELD base looking identical to the Alliance building, there is definitely enough evidence there to show that the writers and artists were influenced by the Mass Effect franchise.

And yeah, the plot twists and mysteries really keep you gripped to the series, as well as the plot itself. Definitely reccomend it to everyone here.[/color]

I saw someone point out a part of that picture we should've noticed earlier. The Normandy is hovering over that Alliance base. The SHIELD guys forgot to remove its shadow. The Normandy's shadow is still on top of the SHIELD building. LOL.

That's it. "Marvel cinematic universe is the same universe as Mass Effect but 200 years prior" is my new headcanon. All hail the nonsensical but awesome headcanon.

Yeah, Coulson is a great guy. He deserves a medal for being so understanding when
Spoiler:
Mike Peterson betrayed him to save his son. I mean don't get me wrong, I'd have done the exact same thing in Peterson's place. It's his SON on the line. But for the guy being traded to torturing murderers who want his secrets, some anger would be understandable too. But not from Coulson. "It's okay, you did what you had to do." Wow.

I wonder what next week's reveal about Skye's parents is going to be. "It can't be worse than I've imagined!" "It is." Wha? Poor girl. Already I just wanted to hug her after May screamed at her about her parental thing not being important.

Fur28 wrote:Hoping they will be able to use Samuel L. Jackson in a future episode for some kind of confrontation between Coulson and Nick Fury or if not maybe in Avengers 2.

And I wonder if they'll use the technology from Coulson's surgery for the origin of Ultron in Avengers2

I doubt there'll be much of a confrontation. At best, Coulson will probably just yell at him for a minute. They're arguably friends and Coulson is very forgiving.

I was always hoping Ultron would look Reaperish. Now there's a good chance it really will. So looking forward to that movie.

RavenEyry wrote:It is something from the comics but probably looks different. I think that scientist guy becomes the supervillian Gravitron or something like that.

I do like the show, thought it had a slow start but it was enough to keep me interested enough for the next one. (Like all Whedon shows I guess).

Yeah, he does. But his origin story was significantly different in the comics I hear. No element zero type thing was involved.

BRAVO543211 wrote:Damn, fell asleep and missed the last episode.

Can you watch it online somewhere maybe? Pretty big reveal at the end. Definitely a must see.

_________________
Remember folks.  We didn't get A, B, C endings.  We got A, A, A endings.
avatar
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Posts : 2620
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 36
Location : Razgriz Straits

Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Sun 12 Jan 2014 - 0:44

Rifneno wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:I agree, Rifnieno. When I first saw gravitonium in the reactor, I immediately imagined the Mass Relay. Both had the shifting mass surrounded by circling rings to keep it stabilized.

Hah. You're right, I forgot about that part. Excellent point.
Thank you.

Rifneno wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:That with the Agent Coulson being brought back to life(which by the way I loved since Coulson is one of my favorite characters in the Marvel universe) and the SHIELD base looking identical to the Alliance building, there is definitely enough evidence there to show that the writers and artists were influenced by the Mass Effect franchise.

And yeah, the plot twists and mysteries really keep you gripped to the series, as well as the plot itself. Definitely reccomend it to everyone here.[/color]

I saw someone point out a part of that picture we should've noticed earlier. The Normandy is hovering over that Alliance base. The SHIELD guys forgot to remove its shadow. The Normandy's shadow is still on top of the SHIELD building. LOL.

That's it. "Marvel cinematic universe is the same universe as Mass Effect but 200 years prior" is my new headcanon. All hail the nonsensical but awesome headcanon.

Yeah, Coulson is a great guy. He deserves a medal for being so understanding when
Spoiler:
Mike Peterson betrayed him to save his son. I mean don't get me wrong, I'd have done the exact same thing in Peterson's place. It's his SON on the line. But for the guy being traded to torturing murderers who want his secrets, some anger would be understandable too. But not from Coulson. "It's okay, you did what you had to do." Wow.

I wonder what next week's reveal about Skye's parents is going to be. "It can't be worse than I've imagined!" "It is." Wha? Poor girl. Already I just wanted to hug her after May screamed at her about her parental thing not being important.
Ah, it does. I always thought the shadow was from the one tower on the side but it does have the triangular shape of the Normandy to it.

As for Coulson, yeah he is way more understanding than most people would be in that situation. And I'm really interested to learn the secret of Skye's parentage as well.

As for headcanoning, I now imagine Shepard being like Coulson was during Project Lazarus.
avatar
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Posts : 3094
Join date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Fur28 on Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 0:00

"Huh, Bucky Barnes..." :D
Pretty good episode

_________________
I Love Selim Heart
Anti-Shield Drill (Super Effective against the Ultimate Shield)

Fur28
Commando

Posts : 1278
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 23
Location : Mexico

Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Guest on Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 0:49

Watched the first 3 episodes now, will try to watch more as I pass out...

I had big issues with the first episode. It was so bad. I felt awkward just watching it - way too 'USA glossy show' to it. Couldn't believe any of it, but I know I'm not supposed to, but still :S.

Next two episodes were better. At least, I felt there was a flow that wasn't in the first one. But that often happens in shows.


Their plane is basically their Normandy. Yeesh. I can even imagine being Skye and walking towards everything and seeing a conversation wheel.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by RavenEyry on Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 4:18

Damn channel 4 not continuing it until march. And I'm too damn lazy to yo-ho-ho it.
avatar
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Posts : 1702
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 24
Location : Lincoln, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Guest on Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 5:09

Episode 9 now...

EDIT: Episode 11... gonna finish the episodes so far in an all-nighter.. just what I need..


Last edited by SwobyJ on Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 6:41; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 6:37

SwobyJ wrote:Their plane is basically their Normandy.
They even made jokes about it having a bar and wanting to add a fishtank, two of the more famous upgrades the Normandy got over the trilogy.
avatar
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Posts : 3094
Join date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Guest on Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 6:40

Selim Bradley wrote:
SwobyJ wrote:Their plane is basically their Normandy.
They even made jokes about it having a bar and wanting to add a fishtank, two of the more famous upgrades the Normandy got over the trilogy.

Exactly. But a lot more than that too.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Rifneno on Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 6:51

Oh good. Another thread to be reduced to the cinders of Swoby's insanity. Why do I even bother.

_________________
Remember folks.  We didn't get A, B, C endings.  We got A, A, A endings.
avatar
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Posts : 2620
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 36
Location : Razgriz Straits

Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Guest on Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 6:56

What? I meant stuff like it being hi-jacked, the choice to spare or kill (they spared) the female ringleader, and more personally, the style of the interiors reminded me of some other Mass Effect 3 concept art that never really happened in the game itself. Fuck..

What did I say that was so 'insane', or were you just assuming?


EDIT: Also and
Spoiler:
it seems also the idea that the plane and Coulson's independent authority was done almost akin to Shepard and the SR-2; a way to keep Coulson from questioning his identity, actions, and missing history while he was being reconstructed. Give him friendly faces (especially some young/scarred ones he can teach/heal), the ability to pursue what he wants as long as he doesn't pursue the 'wrong' thing, etc. Not the same thing, but I see similarities.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 19:14

He was probably just assuming Swoby, like he always does.

Another similarity I feel like mentioning is ever since the first episode Fitz and Simmons have reminded me of Donnelly and Daniels.
avatar
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Posts : 3094
Join date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Guest on Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 20:30

Selim Bradley wrote:He was probably just assuming Swoby, like he always does.

Another similarity I feel like mentioning is ever since the first episode Fitz and Simmons have reminded me of Donnelly and Daniels.

Oh yeah, I was just thinking of that one earlier today too! And the sparring workouts in the back/bottom of the plane struck me as familiar too.

Not exact copy, but a good chunk told me "Ok, someone here liked the Mass Effect trilogy."

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Dwailing on Wed 15 Jan 2014 - 21:38

SwobyJ wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:He was probably just assuming Swoby, like he always does.

Another similarity I feel like mentioning is ever since the first episode Fitz and Simmons have reminded me of Donnelly and Daniels.

Oh yeah, I was just thinking of that one earlier today too! And the sparring workouts in the back/bottom of the plane struck me as familiar too.

Not exact copy, but a good chunk told me "Ok, someone here liked the Mass Effect trilogy."

I think an argument could be made that Mass Effect really IS becoming the new Star Wars/Trek.  Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. seems to have borrowed rather heavily from ME, and Halo 4 definitely took inspiration from ME in certain places.  There will probably be more as we see other new sci-fi series/new entries in existing sci-fi series appear, too.

_________________



Best emoticon ever.  Of all time: Dwail\'s Garrus 

Decision Chamber Hallucination Theory
RWBY/KS Crossover
avatar
Dwailing
Praetorian

Posts : 1714
Join date : 2013-01-07
Age : 21
Location : Awaiting ME4 news in Louisville, KY

Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by RavenEyry on Thu 16 Jan 2014 - 2:28

An argument could be made that similarities happen in everything because that's the way fiction works. There's a whole website on it http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

I see connections to stuff I know well in everything. It doesn't mean it was intentional.
avatar
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Posts : 1702
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 24
Location : Lincoln, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Thu 16 Jan 2014 - 3:58

RavenEyry wrote:An argument could be made that similarities happen in everything because that's the way fiction works. There's a whole website on it http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

I see connections to stuff I know well in everything. It doesn't mean it was intentional.
Very true. It's only when a large numbers of similarities between the same two things occur that one can reasonable say that one is influenced by the other.
avatar
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Posts : 3094
Join date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by RavenEyry on Thu 16 Jan 2014 - 10:19

Selim Bradley wrote:
RavenEyry wrote:An argument could be made that similarities happen in everything because that's the way fiction works. There's a whole website on it http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

I see connections to stuff I know well in everything. It doesn't mean it was intentional.
Very true. It's only when a large numbers of similarities between the same two things occur that one can reasonable say that one is influenced by the other.
That base was clearly designed after that ME image, and there may be other intentional nods, but calling it having a man and woman that bicker a sign there's an ME fan on staff is silly.
avatar
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Posts : 1702
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 24
Location : Lincoln, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by symbowles on Thu 16 Jan 2014 - 11:28

Good ole Gamble recently tweeted this pic:



It seems mass effect art is popular amongst tv shows and thug rappers alike.

_________________
"I don't have time to justify myself to your viewers. I have a galaxy to save. Excuse me."
avatar
symbowles
Geth Hunter

Posts : 308
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 27
Location : Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Maximus on Thu 16 Jan 2014 - 11:31

symbowles wrote:Good ole Gamble recently tweeted this pic:

*hardcore gangsta rap image*

It seems mass effect art is popular amongst tv shows and thug Reapers alike.

Here, fixed that for ya'!
Now, what kind of IT does this image represent?
Dark IT? ;>

_________________
"And in the end, as the darkness takes me, I am nothing. Now I know how you felt, my friend."
avatar
Maximus
Rampart Mech

Posts : 546
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 25
Location : Europe

Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Guest on Thu 16 Jan 2014 - 13:11

RavenEyry wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:
RavenEyry wrote:An argument could be made that similarities happen in everything because that's the way fiction works. There's a whole website on it http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

I see connections to stuff I know well in everything. It doesn't mean it was intentional.
Very true. It's only when a large numbers of similarities between the same two things occur that one can reasonable say that one is influenced by the other.
That base was clearly designed after that ME image, and there may be other intentional nods, but calling it having a man and woman that bicker a sign there's an ME fan on staff is silly.

-bicker
-accents
-effectively the engineers (one is 'even a rocket scientist'), though I'd consider it a mix of that and Mordin, etc stuff. All tropes in a way.
-one came and the other tagged along (I think this is in A.G.E.N.T.? Could be wrong)

Not the same, but yeah, I'd consider it a nod. Of course there are several big differences, so I wouldn't go so far as to call the show a clone of Mass Effect or anything like that. But people in the team that like the game and some stuff in it? Yes, very much so. (I guess the word 'fan' is too direct and presumptive though, but I didn't mean it that way)
Too many things for that to be coincidence, and TV shows are pretty notorious for getting quick inspiration from other things (there are many reasons for why especially the first seasons of shows are like that).

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum