Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Byne on Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:58 pm

SwobyJ wrote:
RavenEyry wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:
RavenEyry wrote:An argument could be made that similarities happen in everything because that's the way fiction works. There's a whole website on it http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

I see connections to stuff I know well in everything. It doesn't mean it was intentional.
Very true. It's only when a large numbers of similarities between the same two things occur that one can reasonable say that one is influenced by the other.
That base was clearly designed after that ME image, and there may be other intentional nods, but calling it having a man and woman that bicker a sign there's an ME fan on staff is silly.

-bicker
-accents
-effectively the engineers (one is 'even a rocket scientist'), though I'd consider it a mix of that and Mordin, etc stuff. All tropes in a way.
-one came and the other tagged along (I think this is in A.G.E.N.T.? Could be wrong)

Not the same, but yeah, I'd consider it a nod. Of course there are several big differences, so I wouldn't go so far as to call the show a clone of Mass Effect or anything like that. But people in the team that like the game and some stuff in it? Yes, very much so. (I guess the word 'fan' is too direct and presumptive though, but I didn't mean it that way)
Too many things for that to be coincidence, and TV shows are pretty notorious for getting quick inspiration from other things (there are many reasons for why especially the first seasons of shows are like that).

Yknow, not everything that is similar is a nod to ME, right? You seem to make the leap from "I can personally see a similarity here" and "One of these things CLEARLY took inspiration from the other" quite a lot from what I've seen.

Threadmaster™

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:08 pm

But I'm not asserting anything here Byne. I'm personally considering whether SHIELD takes genre content into their own via references (like Kenneth Donnelly himself seems to come from the whole Scotty stuff in Star Trek). Not every reference needs to be overt and used for major plot points or clear character quotes; sometimes they can just be communicated through objects, portions of character traits, episodic setups, set design, etc.

There's not enough here to assert anything (nothing like saying "This is CLEARLY that thing, CLEARLY", only enough to believe one thing more than another thing.

Many of these beliefs are going to be wrong, I know that. Like my Kenneth Donnelly example, someone in Bioware already said that the connection made between him and Scotty was totally an accident until I guess it clicked in (as in, they realized how similar they were later in development, instead of deciding on it from the start).

So when it comes to FitzPatrick, I consider them as a whole to be a vague nod, but only because little things seem to add up into one general reference. I wouldn't say "oh, they bicker thus... = Normandy" or "engineers thus... = Normandy". In fact, nothing '= Normandy'. It's more of a style thing, built up in genre over many properties and stories and creations. Like, the whole "here's some secret gadgets from accented ally" is more of a James Bond thing (maybe before that), yet it carries on into many fictions today.

EDIT: Something a bit like this http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InspirationNod (I am so sorry for linking here, and am prepared for the hate)

EDIT: @Raven - Dammit, I do that all the time when talking about the show now :(. This is the 3rd time I've been corrected.

Last edited by SwobyJ on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:11 pm

*FitzSimmons
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:35 pm

SwobyJ wrote:
RavenEyry wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:
RavenEyry wrote:An argument could be made that similarities happen in everything because that's the way fiction works. There's a whole website on it http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

I see connections to stuff I know well in everything. It doesn't mean it was intentional.
Very true. It's only when a large numbers of similarities between the same two things occur that one can reasonable say that one is influenced by the other.
That base was clearly designed after that ME image, and there may be other intentional nods, but calling it having a man and woman that bicker a sign there's an ME fan on staff is silly.

-bicker
-accents
-effectively the engineers (one is 'even a rocket scientist'), though I'd consider it a mix of that and Mordin, etc stuff. All tropes in a way.
-one came and the other tagged along (I think this is in A.G.E.N.T.? Could be wrong)

Not the same, but yeah, I'd consider it a nod. Of course there are several big differences, so I wouldn't go so far as to call the show a clone of Mass Effect or anything like that. But people in the team that like the game and some stuff in it? Yes, very much so. (I guess the word 'fan' is too direct and presumptive though, but I didn't mean it that way)
Too many things for that to be coincidence, and TV shows are pretty notorious for getting quick inspiration from other things (there are many reasons for why especially the first seasons of shows are like that).
I was just saying Fitz and Simmons reminded me of Donnelly and Daniels, Raven. I wasn't trying to say that they were based on them.

You are correct Swoby. Simmons drug Fitz with her to go on the mission. And Daniels insisted on being drug in with Donnelly.
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Fur28 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:51 pm

Fur28
Commando

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:36 pm

So if you get hit by lightning while touching an ice machine, you get to be a blizzard themed superbeing? Huh. I wonder what that means for my incident last week when I got hit by lightning carrying some high powered "back massagers."

... Ladies.

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:23 am

Rifneno wrote:So if you get hit by lightning while touching an ice machine, you get to be a blizzard themed superbeing?  Huh.  I wonder what that means for my incident last week when I got hit by lightning carrying some high powered "back massagers."

...  Ladies.
If the effect is stuck to nature-based powers, you could create earthquakes.
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Fur28 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:04 am

so that was interesting

Fur28
Commando

Back to top Go down

Post by ericformans_sisterisdead on Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:56 am

Is it just me or was that a kree at the end, if so

Back to top Go down

Post by Fur28 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:33 am

ericformans_sisterisdead wrote:Is it just me or was that a kree at the end, if so
I thought so too^^, so A) maybe that means GotG Tie-in :D, dont remember where but I read that the Guardians could have an animated show after the movie, so it'll be easier to connect AoS with GotG

or B) Prometheus crossover Oo

Fur28
Commando

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:14 am

ericformans_sisterisdead wrote:Is it just me or was that a kree at the end, if so

lol at Tobuscus.  Laughing 

But yeah, just another Agents of SHIELD episode. One question answered only for even more to take their place.
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:36 pm

IMDB theorizing that Skye and Coulson (or at least Skye) are Inhumans.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:49 pm

Yes, it's a Kree. Read some analysis of it by the comic book geeks and they went through detailed reasoning why it's not a frost giant or such and said some of the markings on it match ones on Kree from old comics.

One of the writers early in the series tweeted that Skye was actually a well known comic character, they just hadn't revealed it yet. Some are theorizing that this will lead to her becoming Ms. Marvel, as being injected with Kree blood was the origin story of one of the versions of Ms. Marvel. I don't know, I don't really see it happening. That's a little too much power to be giving a member of the team. Even if they depower Ms. Marvel as hard as they did Thor, it'll still end up a Justice League situation (where everyone is completely useless compared to Superman).

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:11 pm

Or uh, maybe (??) they have a plan of rotating some characters around, over time bringing in older ones for guest roles? I can at least imagine (Blue) Skye getting powers, leaving at some point, then returning for certain episodes, while the show adds other characters to replace her in the regular cast, everything still maintaining that regular cast/Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. either have no powers or minimal ones.

Yeah I agree that if she's to be a superhero, that's a bit much for the show to deal with.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:28 pm

SwobyJ wrote:Or uh, maybe (??) they have a plan of rotating some characters around, over time bringing in older ones for guest roles? I can at least imagine (Blue) Skye getting powers, leaving at some point, then returning for certain episodes, while the show adds other characters to replace her in the regular cast, everything still maintaining that regular cast/Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. either have no powers or minimal ones.

Yeah I agree that if she's to be a superhero, that's a bit much for the show to deal with.

Well it depends.  May is only a notch below Black Widow and she was a frickin' Avenger.  Wow, wouldn't that be a fight to see?  Anyway, some degree of powers is okay.  I think the biggest thing they need to stay away from is immunity to reasonable damage.  Bullets always need to be a danger.  Minor super strength, like able to toss a refrigerator or something, that's fine.  I don't see them giving superstrength to Skye, just an example.

EDIT: Doncha hate when you forget your most important point?  As I wanted to say, I think Skye getting rotated out of the regular team is the least likely scenario.  They've devoted far too much of the show's focus on her for those to be their plans.  It goes Coulson > Skye >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everyone else.  No, she's here to stay.  Which is why her near-death had almost no one on the edge of their seat (at least in as far as whether she'd make it).

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:51 pm

Maybe do a Buffy and give her powers for a while, with complications but uses, then debuff her later and have a lot of feels in scenes about it all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fur28 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:07 pm

SwobyJ wrote:IMDB theorizing that Skye and Coulson (or at least Skye) are Inhumans.
I would prefer Skye being an Inhuman than ending up being Ms. Marvel(now Captain Marvel) or Ultragirl. For the reasons rif just said
If she's an inhuman then they could give her any power and not necesarily superman-like powers.

edit: from Clark Gregg's twitter http://i.imgur.com/ve6FXZk.jpg

Fur28
Commando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:09 pm

Well there we go!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Fur28 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:23 am

Tahiti sucked ^^
Kree confirmed in the MCU :D
Thor 2 spoilers:
guess we know who'll be part of Loki's team in Thor 3
And the "May being on the team to spy on Coulson" theory confirmed

Fur28
Commando

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:57 am

Fur28 wrote:Tahiti sucked ^^
Kree confirmed in the MCU :D
Thor 2 spoilers:
guess we know who'll be part of Loki's team in Thor 3
And the "May being on the team to spy on Coulson" theory confirmed
I laughed when Coulson said that.
Spoiler:
I hadn't thought of that. I forgot Loki was playing Odin.
I caught that too. Though I'm curious why one is on earth when their race apparently never came to our realm.
And not sure how to react to that last part. All I know is I'm on Team Coulson for when whatever is going to happen happens.
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Fur28 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:30 am

Watched Cap2 today(it was awesome), I reccomend watching it before the new episodes arrive, since they'll be post-Cap2 .
Also HIMYM ends on monday so Maria Hill could become something more than a cameo on the pilot.

Fur28
Commando

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:36 am

Fur28 wrote:Watched Cap2 today(it was awesome), I reccomend watching it before the new episodes arrive, since they'll be post-Cap2 .
Also HIMYM ends on monday so Maria Hill could become something more than a cameo on the pilot.
Once again, I am baffled that America is the last country that gets Captain America films. It still has a week before release here.
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by DSharrah on Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:00 pm

Interesting direction that the Marvel Universe is going...thought that The Winter Soldier was excellent.  It will interesting to see how the seperate parts of the universe will merge with the next Avengers movie...don't think that I can remember seeing anything yet that screamed Ultron to me, but maybe I missed it.

Spoiler:

"Does that mean it will kill your smug ass too?"

DSharrah
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:32 pm

Captain America certainly answered some of the questions that existed in Agents of SHIELD. I'm interested to see where they go with it.

Also, Winter Soldier was amazing. Probably my favorite Avengers series side movie.
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:00 pm

Now I almost wish my fucked up back could stand being in a shitty movie theater seat for 2 hours.  Shame.

Also, I'm looking forward to seeing Handjob die a horrible death.

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top