Star Wars

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Star Wars

Post by ericformans_sisterisdead on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:06 pm

I liked the prequels dont judge me but what is everyones feelings on the new movies with jj (hopefully no lens flares).  They also announced the new cast today here they are

Returning characters-

princess leia

han solo-

luke skywalker-

And the new cast maybe finally a black guy has a big leading role

topleft-adam driver
bottom left-john boyega
middle-oscar issac
top right-gollum aka andy serkis
bottom right-domhnall gleeson

and also casted is daisy ridley and max von sydow

Any ideas who the new ppl are gonna be? Its a no brainer the black kid is the son of lando

Back to top Go down

Re: Star Wars

Post by ericformans_sisterisdead on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:21 pm

I just wish he was in it    

Also this is all the cast for sitdown

But then someone decided to show up

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:48 pm

No Lando?

This deal is getting worse all the time!
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:38 am

Pray they don't alter it any further.

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Maximus on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:13 am

DoomsdayDevice wrote:Pray they don't alter it any further.

Well, since they named post-RotJ canon "Legends", you might as well treat this "Fresh, New" canon established by Ep VII-IX as a spin-off...whatever floats your speeder...

Me? I don't give a damn about these new movies and novels...

Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian on Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:28 pm

really looking forward to all that lens flare.....

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:00 pm

Maximus wrote:
DoomsdayDevice wrote:Pray they don't alter it any further.

Well, since they named post-RotJ canon "Legends", you might as well treat this "Fresh, New" canon established by Ep VII-IX as a spin-off...whatever floats your speeder...

Me? I don't give a damn about these new movies and novels...

Same. I don't give a damn.

I don't give a damn about what's "canon" in a fictional universe either.

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:58 pm

At this point, the EU (expended universe) itself is some giant blob to me.

It's easy for me to segregate the stories by now.

If I do end up seeing the new SW stuff, I'll be fine ignoring the EU. It'll just mean that there's a 'movieverse', and different versions of it (prequel movieverse, original movieverse... Disney movieverse).

Something like Mass Effect is still small enough to decide what is (even optionally) part of the universe or not, and so far, if Deception is the only big issue so far, that's good. Well, there's some comic problems more recently, but we'll see if that matters.

But Star Wars has been around for decades and decades, not just several years. It's been passed around so many creators and used for so much cheap franchising.. that of course there's several layers of canon. Fans even had to determine names for the layers of canon, I believe. The harm is already done, and I'm totally fine with the new films carrying on right past Episode VI - especially since I'm not really a fan, and so I'm probably not much of a stickler for this anyway.

If they're great movies, I'll go with others, reserving better seats and buying all the snacks :P. If they're good movies, I'll maybe still go see em. I've they're okay movies, I may download/buy a copy. If they're bad movies, I may just torrent.

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:46 pm

I don't care what is and isn't officially canon, my only worry is that future games will follow the new film over anything in EU.
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Thu May 01, 2014 5:11 am

As long as Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade, and Boba Fett stay as they are in canon, I'll be happy. Everything else will just be bonus points.
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Thu May 01, 2014 5:15 am

Hanako Ikezawa wrote:As long as Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade, and Boba Fett stay as they are in canon, I'll be happy. Everything else will just be bonus points.

You can probably kiss Jade goodbye. Thrawn? He's popular. I wouldn't be surprised if they used him as a cashcow.

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Thu May 01, 2014 5:19 am

DoomsdayDevice wrote:
Hanako Ikezawa wrote:As long as Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade, and Boba Fett stay as they are in canon, I'll be happy. Everything else will just be bonus points.

You can probably kiss Jade goodbye. Thrawn? He's popular. I wouldn't be surprised if they used him as a cashcow.
You mean kiss her goodbye as in not be in the movies or made non-canon?
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 01, 2014 5:39 am

..the point is that they won't. They're non-canon, at least in relevance to the upcoming films. If they come back, it'd be in a new canon format.

Back to top Go down

Post by ericformans_sisterisdead on Thu May 01, 2014 5:56 am

Yea disney stated that the entire eu is considered non-canon now except the clone wars tv show there upcoming rebels show (looks bad)and there new novels. Its easier i guess when making the new movie its a shame though i liked thrawn and it would be stupid if they dont bring boba back like in the eu. Maybe we havent seen lando cause hes too busy getting ass up in dem clouds and he will show up in ep 8

Back to top Go down

Post by CoolioThane on Thu May 01, 2014 3:09 pm

I would say canon in fictional universes doesn't really bother me, but if anything other than Destroy is canon in ME I'm going to really struggle to play it. I mean, KotOR is amazing and just because it's not canon doesn't take away how much I enjoyed it, but it does, most likely, signify the end of any hope for a sequel to KotOR2 that I've been hoping for (TOR doesn't count fuck Tor fuck TOR)

http://www.achievementhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Thu May 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Hanako Ikezawa wrote:
DoomsdayDevice wrote:

Both. The entire existing EU has already been declared non-canon by Disney. The existing stories are being branded "Legends" now, but there won't be any new stories in the existing continuity of the old EU. It's now non-canon, and any new stories will be based upon the universe/canon of the new movies.

New stories will probably cherry-pick old EU characters here and there, either as fan service or because it's popular so they can milk it for cash. Much in the same way the Clone Wars digitally animated series used characters from the EU, but adapted them to suit their own needs.

I don't think we'll see Mara Jade, because they're going a completely different direction from the existing EU. Also, Lucas disliked Jade and the idea of Luke getting married. (But Lucas is out of the picture now, so that shouldn't matter actually) Thrawn they -may- use (in their own way) because he's one of the most popular EU characters, and they'll probably just cash in on that.

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Thu May 01, 2014 9:29 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:
Hanako Ikezawa wrote:
DoomsdayDevice wrote:

Both. The entire existing EU has already been declared non-canon by Disney. The existing stories are being branded "Legends" now, but there won't be any new stories in the existing continuity of the old EU. It's now non-canon, and any new stories will be based upon the universe/canon of the new movies.

New stories will probably cherry-pick old EU characters here and there, either as fan service or because it's popular so they can milk it for cash. Much in the same way the Clone Wars digitally animated series used characters from the EU, but adapted them to suit their own needs.

I don't think we'll see Mara Jade, because they're going a completely different direction from the existing EU. Also, Lucas disliked Jade and the idea of Luke getting married. (But Lucas is out of the picture now, so that shouldn't matter actually) Thrawn they -may- use (in their own way) because he's one of the most popular EU characters, and they'll probably just cash in on that.
Lucas may not have liked her much as a LI for Luke, but the fans did. The anger of the fanbase when she was killed by Jacen Solo was huge. So I'd say she can go either way.

Thrawn is probably the most popular EU villain Star Wars has ever had, so I would be surprised if they keep him non-canon.

As for Boba Fett, well pretty much everybody loves the Marty Sue that is Boba Fett. It's joked that one of the unofficial rules in writing EU material was along the lines of "If you need somebody to do something awesome, have Boba Fett do it."
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 01, 2014 9:57 pm

CoolioThane wrote:I would say canon in fictional universes doesn't really bother me, but if anything other than Destroy is canon in ME I'm going to really struggle to play it. I mean, KotOR is amazing and just because it's not canon doesn't take away how much I enjoyed it, but it does, most likely, signify the end of any hope for a sequel to KotOR2 that I've been hoping for (TOR doesn't count fuck Tor fuck TOR)

My personal feeling is:
-Control will be the operating base canon to work off of, for default files (as opposed to a more Renegade path with Shepard games)
-Destroy will be the highly supported path (like Paragon is in the Shepard games)
-Synthesis, I don't know, maybe an offshoot of Control

But that's, again, a personal feeling :). I agree that if they don't reflect Destroy as *a* canon (wake up, kill Reapers, etc), that's really bad.

And yeah I've given up hope for the Old Republic universe :(

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwailing on Thu May 01, 2014 10:26 pm

One thing to remember about the Star Wars EU is that it was NEVER considered canon.  There were things that were more probable and well know than others, but the only things that were OFFICIALLY canon were the six movies.  It kind of sucks that they've invalidated the semi-canon of the post-movies EU, but it's not like this is an unforeseen possibility.  I'm not really bothered by it.  The only thing that would have made this news to me is if the EU had been actually considered canon.  Since it's not, I don't think it's right to say that they're de-canonizing it.

Best emoticon ever.  Of all time: Dwail\'s Garrus 

Decision Chamber Hallucination Theory
RWBY/KS Crossover
Dwailing
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Fri May 02, 2014 5:20 am

That's not entirely correct, Dwailing... Star Wars actually uses/used levels of canon. The movies are the highest level of canon, then the TV outings, then the novels, then the games, etcetera. Something like that.

The idea was that everything was canon, and in case of contradictions the source from the highest level of canon would be 'true'.

Of course Lucas himself always considered the entire world outside his movies 'another world' because it wasn't part of his vision. But the way Lucasfilm marketed the novels etc. was a whole other story. They were being sold as 'official', and presented as 'canon' in the books themselves.

There's basically two worlds of SW fans... the Lucas fans who disregard most (if not all) of the EU, and the EU fans who generally bash Lucas. Of course there's a middle ground, but it's definitely a noticeable trend in the SW community.

Myself, I love some of the EU, but I hate a lot of it too. I simply tend to ignore whatever I don't like. I do prefer Lucas' version of the universe and the Force to the EU's, but I'm far from a Lucas apologist, the prequels had flaws aplenty and the direction was pretty weak. But the whole concept of 'canon' is just totally silly to me.

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry on Fri May 02, 2014 7:33 am

EU was canon but movies always took precedence in case of conflicts. This new movie is basically saying they aren't even gonna try to avoid conflicts, even with massive and popular EU parts.
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Mon May 05, 2014 9:48 am

So did anyone else celebrate Star Wars Day yesterday?
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Maximus on Mon May 05, 2014 10:07 am

Hanako Ikezawa wrote:So did anyone else celebrate Star Wars Day yesterday?

"May the 4th be with you" and stuff?
How am I suppose to celebrate that?

Grab a stick, paint it blue, wear a brown hoodie, then run across the city shoutin':
"May the 4th be with y'all, btches!!!"
I could also throw some confetti and sweets at kids...

That your idea of celebrating? ;>

Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Mon May 05, 2014 10:09 am

Maximus wrote:
Hanako Ikezawa wrote:So did anyone else celebrate Star Wars Day yesterday?

"May the 4th be with you" and stuff?
How am I suppose to celebrate that?

Grab a stick, paint it blue, wear a brown hoodie, then run across the city shoutin':
"May the 4th be with y'all, btches!!!"
I could also throw some confetti and sweets at kids...

That your idea of celebrating? ;>

People do stranger to celebrate other holidays. :P

But I don't know, you could have done a movie marathon like I did and watch all 6 films.
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry on Mon May 05, 2014 11:26 am

I'm an april 5th man, may 4th can suck it.
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top