Alien: Isolation

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Alien: Isolation

Post by ElSuperGecko on Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:31 pm

WHAT A GAME.

Fuck IGN and their braindead CODrone "no pay, no play" reviewers.

_________________
avatar
ElSuperGecko
Space Cow

Posts : 800
Join date : 2013-01-08
Location : Lying unconcious in a pile of rebar and rubble...

Back to top Go down

Re: Alien: Isolation

Post by dorktainian on Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:18 pm

ElSuperGecko wrote:WHAT A GAME.

Fuck IGN and their braindead CODrone "no pay, no play" reviewers.


Indeed it is a great game.

_________________
avatar
dorktainian
Catalyst

Posts : 3496
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 48

Back to top Go down

Re: Alien: Isolation

Post by ElSuperGecko on Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:15 pm

Bought it on day of release, just finished it today. The game is so atmospheric and tense that I literally couldn't play it for more than 2 hours at a time - my nerves were all over the place after being chased down by Mr. Bitey.

My Game of the Year nomination (admittedly, I haven't played too many new games this year, but still.)

_________________
avatar
ElSuperGecko
Space Cow

Posts : 800
Join date : 2013-01-08
Location : Lying unconcious in a pile of rebar and rubble...

Back to top Go down

Re: Alien: Isolation

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:29 pm

I'll definitely check it out, eventually. New games are so damn expensive.

_________________
"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson

avatar
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Posts : 2958
Join date : 2013-01-08
Location : Probing Uranus

Back to top Go down

Re: Alien: Isolation

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:04 am

ElSuperGecko wrote:Bought it on day of release, just finished it today.  The game is so atmospheric and tense that I literally couldn't play it for more than 2 hours at a time - my nerves were all over the place after being chased down by Mr. Bitey.

My Game of the Year nomination (admittedly, I haven't played too many  new games this year, but still.)
Actually, Xenomorphs are all female.

As for the game itself, I'll check it out when I can.
avatar
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Posts : 3094
Join date : 2013-01-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Alien: Isolation

Post by ElSuperGecko on Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:22 pm

Hanako Ikezawa wrote:
Actually, Xenomorphs are all female.

OK then, Ms Bitey.

Seriosuly though, if you're a fan of Aliens, and a fan of survival horror games, then go for it. From my point of view it is simply amazing.

Plays first person style, but a first person shooter it is not. You do get some weapons and do some fighting, but it is usually a bad idea to do so. Generally keeping a low profile, being patient and being careful is the way to go.

A huge amount of care and attention to detail has been put into the game. It's visually stunning and incredibly atmospheric. The game literally oozes tension. It can be a genuinely unsettling and anxious experience playing it - the audio keeps you on edge through out, there are several jump scares (steam vents, electrical explosions, exploding pipes etc) which keep you on edge. There's no let up in the tension either, you hardly ever feel safe or relieved - even saving the game can be nerve wracking as there's a three second countdown (during which time you can be spotted/heard/killed) before it saves.

All of this is a good thing, by the way - Creative Assembly absolutely nailed the atmosphere of the original Alien film. Despite all the above, I never felt frustrated or cheated - if I died (and I did, often) it was because I made a mistake, wasn't careful enough or did something stupid. And I usually knew exactly what I did wrong as well.

It's not trial and error gameplay, either. The Alien's AI and behaviour really impressed me it wasn't predictable, it didn't follow a particular pattern, so every time I played a specific area I ended up doing so in a different way, reacting to the situation second by second rather than following a routine. the Alien "learns" from the player's behaviour and adapts it's own behaviour as well - using certain tactics might work once or twice, but you can't keep on distracting it the same way forever.

_________________
avatar
ElSuperGecko
Space Cow

Posts : 800
Join date : 2013-01-08
Location : Lying unconcious in a pile of rebar and rubble...

Back to top Go down

Re: Alien: Isolation

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:08 am

ElSuperGecko wrote:
Hanako Ikezawa wrote:
Actually, Xenomorphs are all female.

OK then, Ms Bitey.

Seriosuly though, if you're a fan of Aliens, and a fan of survival horror games, then go for it.  From my point of view it is simply amazing.

Plays first person style, but a first person shooter it is not.  You do get some weapons and do some fighting, but it is usually a bad idea to do so.  Generally keeping a low profile, being patient and being careful is the way to go.

A huge amount of care and attention to detail has been put into the game.  It's visually stunning and incredibly atmospheric.  The game literally oozes tension.  It can be a genuinely unsettling and anxious experience playing it - the audio keeps you on edge through out, there are several jump scares (steam vents, electrical explosions, exploding pipes etc) which keep you on edge.  There's no let up in the tension either, you hardly ever feel safe or relieved - even saving the game can be nerve wracking as there's a three second countdown (during which time you can be spotted/heard/killed) before it saves.

All of this is a good thing, by the way - Creative Assembly absolutely nailed the atmosphere of the original Alien film.  Despite all the above, I never felt frustrated or cheated - if I died (and I did, often) it was because I made a mistake, wasn't careful enough or did something stupid.  And I usually knew exactly what I did wrong as well.

It's not trial and error gameplay, either.  The Alien's AI and behaviour really impressed me it wasn't predictable, it didn't follow a particular pattern, so every time I played a specific area I ended up doing so in a different way, reacting to the situation second by second rather than following a routine.  the Alien "learns" from the player's behaviour and adapts it's own behaviour as well - using certain tactics might work once or twice, but you can't keep on distracting it the same way forever.
Sounds interesting. I'll put it on my Christmas list.
avatar
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Posts : 3094
Join date : 2013-01-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Alien: Isolation

Post by dorktainian on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:14 pm

the one thing imo that makes the game imo is the lighting...... the lighting is just amazing.

(granted i'm not that far in yet)

oh and save points..... mmuuuwwwhhaaahhaaaaaa

_________________
avatar
dorktainian
Catalyst

Posts : 3496
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 48

Back to top Go down

Re: Alien: Isolation

Post by ElSuperGecko on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:29 pm

dorktainian wrote:the one thing imo that makes the game imo is the lighting...... the lighting is just amazing.  

(granted i'm not that far in yet)

oh and save points..... mmuuuwwwhhaaahhaaaaaa

I will steer entirely clear of spoilers then! Have fun!

_________________
avatar
ElSuperGecko
Space Cow

Posts : 800
Join date : 2013-01-08
Location : Lying unconcious in a pile of rebar and rubble...

Back to top Go down

Re: Alien: Isolation

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum