So, when do you think the Hallucination starts? UPDATED WITH POLL

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

When do you think the Hallucination starts.

7% 7% 
[ 5 ]
3% 3% 
[ 2 ]
36% 36% 
[ 27 ]
42% 42% 
[ 31 ]
5% 5% 
[ 4 ]
4% 4% 
[ 3 ]
3% 3% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 74

Re: So, when do you think the Hallucination starts? UPDATED WITH POLL

Post by Eryri on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:15 pm

@ dork and Phantom Infiltrator - Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Starting the hallucinationat the Mako crash also makes things easier for Bioware to continue the story. One common literalist criticism is "What's the point of IT? Where can it possibly go? Shepard wakes up, Harbinger blasts him again. He dies. The end. LOL."

However if it starts at the Mako crash, then Harbinger hasn't even arrived yet. Not physically anyway. Plenty of time for the crew to get Shepard's unconscious body to safety.
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:32 pm

Eryri wrote:@ dork and Phantom Infiltrator - Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Starting the hallucinationat the Mako crash also makes things easier for Bioware to continue the story. One common literalist criticism is "What's the point of IT? Where can it possibly go? Shepard wakes up, Harbinger blasts him again. He dies. The end. LOL."

However if it starts at the Mako crash, then Harbinger hasn't even arrived yet. Not physically anyway. Plenty of time for the crew to get Shepard's unconscious body to safety.
That's an excellent point, I just thought the Hallucinations were more like products of a dream after the Mako crash hence why I think that's where it starts, but you've thought of another very good reason too.

Side note: If you think about it, Shepard is suffering like every single side effect after this dream... Reaper dreams, Oily Shadows, Whispers, Hallucinations, acting weirdly, losing control.... like literally the whole nine yards.

Last edited by IronicParticle on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
Terramine
Destroyer

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by magnetite on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:41 pm

There is little oily bushes (from the dreams) on the hill down to the beam.
magnetite
Brute

Back to top Go down

Post by Maximus on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:58 pm

Hallucination starts after Arrival, Shepard never awoke from his sleep, I'm telling you! Would explain all this crazy shit in ME3, like QEC for e.g. I know, that's probably very unlikely but still...possible and I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.

So let's assume that ME3 is real, and Shepard is having hallucinations through the entire game, (Kid, QEC, Reapers) but that big Hallucination, when shit really gets weird is... before Cronos. Yeah, that would fit, he's still sleeping! ;>

Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by solidsnake78 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:07 pm

I'd go Mako crash for just a practical design perspective. Easiest to restart at that point, no harby yet, already did the Earth street fights, and you were probably knocked unconscious.

Combat Engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by draconian139 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:11 pm

CorranusMaximus wrote:Hallucination starts after Arrival, Shepard never awoke from his sleep, I'm telling you! Would explain all this crazy shit in ME3, like QEC for e.g. I know, that's probably very unlikely but still...possible and I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.

So let's assume that ME3 is real, and Shepard is having hallucinations through the entire game, (Kid, QEC, Reapers) but that big Hallucination, when shit really gets weird is... before Cronos. Yeah, that would fit, he's still sleeping! ;>

You've watched too many Clevernoob videos haven't you? Reason it can't all be a dream:Arrival was handled by a squad of soldiers instead of Shepard in some playthroughs.
draconian139
Abomination

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:12 pm

CorranusMaximus wrote:Hallucination starts after Arrival, Shepard never awoke from his sleep, I'm telling you! Would explain all this crazy shit in ME3, like QEC for e.g. I know, that's probably very unlikely but still...possible and I wouldn't be surprised if it's true.

Those aren't that bad of hallucinations though and that stuff was more spread out throughout the game. People on the derelict Reaper could see things coming out of the wall while completely awake in ME2, and THAT is some batshit crazy stuff.

It isn't until earth at the very least that things feel surreal and dream-like, and it isn't until then that Shepard starts experiencing all of the indoc symptoms in a very short amount of time, as well as loads of hallucination-like things happening AT THE SAME TIME.

Also they would HAVE to redo Rannoch and curing the Genophage, etc. Which they already did perfectly in ME3, so they could only do WORSE.

Welcome to a universe made up of many universes, enter prisoner 092993 of a tiny blue dot.

We are the Masters of the descended world!
Terramine
Destroyer

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Byne on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:26 pm

draconian139 wrote:

You've watched too many Clevernoob videos haven't you? Reason it can't all be a dream:Arrival was handled by a squad of soldiers instead of Shepard in some playthroughs.

Well, since the comics, which are canon, say Shepard did Arrival, if your Shepard didnt do Arrival, your Shepard is non-canon.

Anyhow, I think it began after the transport crashed. I was leaning that way pre-EC, and the EC convinced me. I've seen people try to explain Harby not shooting the Normandy by claiming it was because of the IFF, but firstly, Harby has eyes. He can see Normandy. Secondly, the IFF never once stopped the Reapers from chasing you if you scanned a system too many times. Thirdly, even supposing Harby cant see through his eyes, having Shepard's squadmates board a Reaper (a Reaper he knows shouldnt be there) would be a bit suspicious. Harby would realize what was up.

There's a very fine line between not listening, and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life. ~ Private Leonard Church
Byne
Threadmasterâ„¢

Back to top Go down

Post by Maximus on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:30 pm

draconian139 wrote:

Naah, watched only first Clevernoob's video. This guy is soo boring...
Can't remeber if talked about everything being just an illusion...

But wait: what do you mean by: "Arrival was handled by a squad of soldiers instead of Shepard in some playthroughs."

I'm not sure I fully understand. Does this means that we can play as someone else or what? Handled by a squad of soldiers instead of Shepard? When? How? 0,o

You mean... when you haven't played Arrival, then squad of Alliance Soldiers blows up the Alpha Relay? But without Arrival the game isn't complete! It's essential, a must-have to fully understand ME3. Without it it's just...wrong! ;/

Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Restrider on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:38 pm

Eryri wrote:@ Restrider

I can't remember my original choice, but these days I would go for I. Cronos is real, but everything after the crash is a hallucination with the exception of the breath scene. I even count the stargazer scene as being suspect as I can't believe the same slightly unlikely event - a grandparent telling stories on a freezing cold night in a forest, would occur in exactly the same way upteen thousand years later, no matter what happens.

What really irks me regarding the stargazer scene is the fact that this planet has a similar skysetting to the garden world the Normandy crashes on. I know that there are other planets that have two moons in the trilogy (Jacob's LM, that N7 Mission/Firebase Dagger afaik).
However, we first see the garden world and the next scene we see is the stargazer scene. This leads to the assumption that it's on the same planet. Heck--- I had even the idea that the stargazers are progenies of the Normandy crew!

Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Andromidius on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:40 pm

Mako Crash is the most likely for me.

Harbinger's beam is also a likely suspect.

Cronos Station is another (more faint) possibility, but high on the possibility of starting the 'waking nightmare'.
Andromidius
Admin

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by protognosis on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:41 pm

Could the Reaper Heart/Mind have an effect on Shepard or possibly trigger Shepard's latent indoctrination?
protognosis
Pyjak

Back to top Go down

Post by Restrider on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:45 pm

protognosis wrote:Could the Reaper Heart/Mind have an effect on Shepard or possibly trigger Shepard's latent indoctrination?
Could be. Not sure.
You should ask Demersel about this. He has loads of theories all around Cronos Station, TIM and the Reaper there.

Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Maximus on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:47 pm

protognosis wrote:Could the Reaper Heart/Mind have an effect on Shepard or possibly trigger Shepard's latent indoctrination?

Depends...
If Cronos is just a dream, then hell no. If it's reality - then hell yes! ;>

Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Andromidius on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:48 pm

All I can say for certain is "being near it isn't going to be healthy regardless".

If its part of the hallucination (which I doubt) then it could be a mental trigger that accelerates the process. Very symbolic - seeing something you thought destroyed, and sensing that its watching you.
Andromidius
Admin

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by draconian139 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:50 pm

Byne wrote:
draconian139 wrote:

Well, since the comics, which are canon, say Shepard did Arrival, if your Shepard didnt do Arrival, your Shepard is non-canon.

Anyhow, I think it began after the transport crashed. I was leaning that way pre-EC, and the EC convinced me. I've seen people try to explain Harby not shooting the Normandy by claiming it was because of the IFF, but firstly, Harby has eyes. He can see Normandy. Secondly, the IFF never once stopped the Reapers from chasing you if you scanned a system too many times. Thirdly, even supposing Harby cant see through his eyes, having Shepard's squadmates board a Reaper (a Reaper he knows shouldnt be there) would be a bit suspicious. Harby would realize what was up.

I prize what's told in game more than the books. The books have several things decided that could have been done differently in games, none of which are essential to Shepard's story. I don't view book Shepard as "canon" Shepard because you don't have to do things the same way as they were done in the book, I simply view them as stories about a particular Shepard. Saying otherwise is saying that a playthrough of Mass Effect is fanfiction...which its demonstrably not since its from the creators of the franchise. They're not going to make something that not all Shepards did the start of the dream.
draconian139
Abomination

Back to top Go down

Post by draconian139 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:53 pm

CorranusMaximus wrote:
You mean... when you haven't played Arrival, then squad of Alliance Soldiers blows up the Alpha Relay? But without Arrival the game isn't complete! It's essential, a must-have to fully understand ME3. Without it it's just...wrong! ;/

In no way is it essential and yes, if you don't do Arrival a squad of soldiers does it instead of Shepard. I left that mission undone despite having the DLC, my Shepard is hardly a stealth expert. If he can't bring squadmates with him it'd be stupid of him to take that mission. There's better assets the Alliance could use.

Last edited by draconian139 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
draconian139
Abomination

Back to top Go down

Post by protognosis on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:56 pm

Restrider wrote:
Could be. Not sure.
You should ask Demersel about this. He has loads of theories all around Cronos Station, TIM and the Reaper there.

Awesome. Hopefully Demersel will post soon.
protognosis
Pyjak

Back to top Go down

Post by Maximus on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:59 pm

draconian139 wrote:
Byne wrote:
draconian139 wrote:

I prize what's told in game more than the books. The books have several things decided that could have been done differently in games, none of which are essential to Shepard's story. I don't view book Shepard as "canon" Shepard because you don't have to do things the same way as they were done in the book, I simply view them as stories about a particular Shepard. Saying otherwise is saying that a playthrough of Mass Effect is fanfiction...which its demonstrably not since its from the creators of the franchise. They're not going to make something that not all Shepards did the start of the dream.

Like it or not, but there is a Canon Shepard.
John Shepard, Alliance SOLDIER, Earthborn and a Sole Survivor.
When I play Mass Effect I'm not Shepard, I control him. Same with Revan in KotOR. There is canon Revan you know, and The Exile too. They're all BioWare's characters. They have their own identity, their own motives etc. but you can't really make your own choices, only those presented by BioWare.
How bout this: I wanted Tali dead since the very first meeting with her, but I couldn't shoot her, same with Wrex. I wasn't allowed to make such choice, it would be non-canon, very non-canon. BioWare has it's own view on Mass Effect Universe and Shepard's story. He's their creation, not yours. They added "choices" for game to be more fun and to show you, how little your choices matter, even better. How little choice you really have, because choice is an Illusion my dear! ;>

Books, Comics, DLCs. They are ALL Essential! They ALL matter! If you don't have those, then your experience with story is not complete! ;>

Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by draconian139 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:11 am

CorranusMaximus wrote:
draconian139 wrote:
Byne wrote:
draconian139 wrote:

Like it or not, but there is a Canon Shepard.
John Shepard, Alliance SOLDIER, Earthborn and a Sole Survivor.
When I play Mass Effect I'm not Shepard, I control him. Same with Revan in KotOR. There is canon Revan you know, and The Exile too. They're all BioWare's characters. They have their own identity, their own motives etc. but you can't really make your own choices, only those presented by BioWare.
How bout this: I wanted Tali dead since the very first meeting with her, but I couldn't shoot her, same with Wrex. I wasn't allowed to make such choice, it would be non-canon, very non-canon. BioWare has it's own view on Mass Effect Universe and Shepard's story. He's their creation, not yours. They added "choices" for game to be more fun and to show you, how little your choices matter, even better. How little choice you really have, because choice is an Illusin my dear! ;>

Books, Comics, DLCs. They are ALL Essential! They ALL matter! If you don't have those, then your experience with story is not complete! ;>

Your Shepard was allowed to shoot Wrex. My Shepard was allowed to ignore the Arrival mission. I merely took choices that were presented and that they did account for. What's actually canon are the things that Shepard has to do/cannot do.

Edit:Really though, we're arguing semantics and getting sidetracked. So let me ask you a very simple question, do you really think BW wouldn't have just told the player that they did it anyways if they intended ME3 to just be a fevered dream during it.

Last edited by draconian139 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
draconian139
Abomination

Back to top Go down

Post by Maximus on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:22 am

draconian139 wrote: Your Shepard was allowed to shoot Wrex. My Shepard was allowed to ignore the Arrival mission. I merely took choices that were presented and that they did account for. What's actually canon are the things that Shepard has to do/cannot do.

Yes, I was allowed to shoot Wrex, but I wanted to do so at the first meeting with him and I wasn't allowed to...

Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by 401 Kill on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:23 am

I believe that the Hallucination starts at the transport crash before the beam run.

The main reasons I believe this:

1) There is a cut to black at that moment. The only times they use a cut to black like that are in the dream sequences.

2) The Normandy Evac scene is so out of place. Your squad would not abandon Shepard so close to the goal. Especially if you have Javik or EDI on your squad.

3) The squad Evac scene is very similar to the scene where Shepard leaves Earth. Anderson stays behind on Earth, while Shepard and the squad watch from the entrance to the Normandy Cargo Bay. There is a Reaper in close proximity that does not fire upon the Normandy- even though the Normandy is clearly in its sights. During the squad Evac scene, Shepard stays behind on Earth, while the squad is watching from the entrance to the cargo bay. Harbinger is in close proximity, and even looks at the Normandy. It seems like certain suicide from the view of the ones that are leaving. The Normandy Evac scene and the Leaving Earth scene are incredibly similar.

Idea for new gun name: Divina Extinctor

Ego non expugnatura malum meum inimicorum. Ego non alliget cum meis impia inimicorum. Ego disperdam eos. Ego Solvite messoribus.
401 Kill
STG

Back to top Go down

Post by solidsnake78 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:26 am

401 Kill wrote:I believe that the Hallucination starts at the transport crash before the beam run.

The main reasons I believe this:

1) There is a cut to black at that moment. The only times they use a cut to black like that are in the dream sequences.

2) The Normandy Evac scene is so out of place. Your squad would not abandon Shepard so close to the goal. Especially if you have Javik or EDI on your squad.

3) The squad Evac scene is very similar to the scene where Shepard leaves Earth. Anderson stays behind on Earth, while Shepard and the squad watch from the entrance to the Normandy Cargo Bay. There is a Reaper in close proximity that does not fire upon the Normandy- even though the Normandy is clearly in its sights. During the squad Evac scene, Shepard stays behind on Earth, while the squad is watching from the entrance to the cargo bay. Harbinger is in close proximity, and even looks at the Normandy. It seems like certain suicide from the view of the ones that are leaving. The Normandy Evac scene and the Leaving Earth scene are incredibly similar.

Never thought of that, great catch! Grin

Combat Engineer

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:30 am

... did someone say "oily bush"?

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by ZerebusPrime on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:52 am

50/50 Mako Crash and Harbinger blast. I honestly can't tell which one is the start, but it'd be one of those two.

As for the oddness before that, well.... Shepard's mind seems to be slowly cracking.
ZerebusPrime
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top