(XL) Was the Ending a Hallucination? - Indoctrination Theory Mark IV!

Page 13 of 23 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 23  Next

Go down

Re: (XL) Was the Ending a Hallucination? - Indoctrination Theory Mark IV!

Post by ElSuperGecko on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:30 pm

So,one thing I've seen reading various reviews etc is that the enemies in the game are lacking in variety, and pretty bland in general.

There's the Kett, there's the Remnant, there's the various criminals/mercenaries you encounter and there's what, half a dozen types of native creature? Less?

Now, to be fair Mass Effect was never really known for a huge amount of variety in enemy types, and we were obviously not going to see the Geth/Reapers/Collectors/Cerberus(?) make an appearance, but is it as limited as people are making it out to be? What are the enemy options like in multiplayer?

Back to top Go down

Post by TurianRebel212 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:59 pm

Eryri wrote:Eurogamer has some advice about getting the most out of the game. The video does seem a little bit like damning with faint praise.

Spoiler:
they suggest doing the terraforming missions first to make the side quests easier without having to worry about life support so much, and skipping lots of the more peripheral side missions.

EA must have seen their ass ripping review and kicked a couple grand their way, so now they make a video of 8 ways to enjoy what they deemed "The worse RPG in Bioware History".

Man this fucking industry is a joke. Fuck me. What a scummy press for a medium. Yikes.

Banshee

Back to top Go down

Post by ElSuperGecko on Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:25 pm

Yeah, sounds like you're just bleating for the sake of bleating there Turian.

That video you've posted is still overwhelmingly negative, pretty much from the opening second. God forbid they give any advice to those people who've actually bought the game though, because "reasons".

Back to top Go down

Post by crash23 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:37 pm

ElSuperGecko wrote:So,one thing I've seen reading various reviews etc is that the enemies in the game are lacking in variety, and pretty bland in general.

There's the Kett, there's the Remnant, there's the various criminals/mercenaries you encounter and there's what, half a dozen types of native creature?  Less?

Now, to be fair Mass Effect was never really known for a huge amount of variety in enemy types, and we were obviously not going to see the Geth/Reapers/Collectors/Cerberus(?) make an appearance, but is it as limited as people are making it out to be?  What are the enemy options like in multiplayer?

ME1 - Geth/Husks, Krogan, Batarians, Cerberus/Mercs/etc, Rachni, Thorian, Beasts, Thresher Maws, etc
ME2 - Collectors/Husks, Mercs (Blue Suns, Blood Pack, Eclipse), Mechs/Geth, Broker Agents/Project Security, Beasts/Thresher Maw
ME3 - Cerberus, Geth, Reapers, CAT6, (Collectors), (Clones)
MEA - Kett, Remnant, Outlaws/Roekarr, Beasts, Architects

There may be reskins out there, but it comes down to the enemies being:
-Kett troops
-Remnant mechs
-Outlaws of various sorts (not as different as the ME2 merc groups)
-Native beasts
-Architect bosses (technically Remnant where Thresher Maws were beasts)

That's pretty much how it is in all the games: humanoids, main bad force, mechs, misc animals, boss creature

The MP enemy factions are: Kett, Remnant, Outlaw. We won't know if more are added in updates until it happens.

crash23
LOKI

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryri on Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:36 pm

ElSuperGecko wrote:Yeah, sounds like you're just bleating for the sake of bleating there Turian.

That video you've posted is still overwhelmingly negative, pretty much from the opening second.  God forbid they give any advice to those people who've actually bought the game though, because "reasons".

Yeah. Many of the comments are from fans accusing Eurogamer of being too harsh on the game. Perhaps I confused matters by describing it as 'damning with faint praise' because it's actually not even that. They seem to be sincerely disappointed in the overall experience but are trying to be fair in pointing out that the game has some positive aspects if you're prepared to ignore the grindier ones.
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by crash23 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:39 pm

Grind isn't so bad for me because much of MEA's process is genuinely enjoyable to me and I'm going to automatically be completionist in ME games I get, no matter what. Pretty sure that two completionist playthroughs (NG, NG+) along with certain Nexus upgrades and occasional Strike Teams and APEX MP = I'll have all I need, and if not, DLC rewards (including potential added grind parts like Citadel DLC had with the arena credit rewards) will fill in any 'gap'.

I just wish the performance improves with patches. Otherwise I'm just going to 'suffer' through a playthrough this year and just hope by the end of next year I can get hardware upgrades and then get a MEA content collection on discount.

Vaults have a cool atmosphere, though I now totally understand the complaints about no manual/quick save in Priority missions...

crash23
LOKI

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:51 pm

Man, playing some ME3MP after playing some MEAMP feels like a warm bath. So much better.

I mean, 10 seconds cooldown on Overload with 100% (=max) cooldown on a freaking Engineer? GTFO.

"It'll get better when we get better weapons", someone on BSN told me. No, you fuckwit, it doesn't get better than 100% cooldown.

And why the fuck is the Tempest now called Charger? Or maybe I should say: why is there a gun called Charger that looks 100% identical to a Tempest?

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by crash23 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:53 pm

Probably to not confuse it with the new ship that they want to be more iconic.

Not that it needed to go that way, but if that was the process, I'd understand.

That said, maybe they shouldn't have called the new ship the Tempest. Granted, if that was the common route, that kinda excludes all sorts of potential cool names for more major things than guns.

crash23
LOKI

Back to top Go down

Post by ZerebusPrime on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:42 pm

Andromeda is supposed to be a brave new world.  Tempest fits.
ZerebusPrime
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by crash23 on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:44 pm

Working better and looking good enough on laptop now. Talking on Tempest. While I like aspects of the Normandys better, I like the vibe of Tempest more - if only the animations were not so stilted, and models so uncanny valley sometimes. They definitely went for a more 'lived in' feeling - like a mix of Normandy and the Citadel party.

crash23
LOKI

Back to top Go down

Post by crash23 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:16 am

Ryder had the gall to speak a line (to Kallo) about 'leaving a story half-finished'. The GALL.

crash23
LOKI

Back to top Go down

Post by ZerebusPrime on Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:38 am

crash23 wrote:Ryder had the gall to speak a line (to Kallo) about 'leaving a story half-finished'. The GALL.

That's the tip of the iceberg.  There's a bunch of references.

Spoiler:
My current favorite is an accusatory Angaran suggesting that the Milky Way aliens came to Andromeda to escape monsters and that those monsters were going to follow them to Andromeda.

Ryder has said that what the Angarans are going through with the Kett is a "nightmare"... possibly at the start of the mission where we find out what the Kett do to their prisoners.  I don't recall clearly and it might have been a result of dialog choices on my part.
ZerebusPrime
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by crash23 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:55 am

ZerebusPrime wrote:
crash23 wrote:Ryder had the gall to speak a line (to Kallo) about 'leaving a story half-finished'. The GALL.

That's the tip of the iceberg.  There's a bunch of references.

Spoiler:
My current favorite is an accusatory Angaran suggesting that the Milky Way aliens came to Andromeda to escape monsters and that those monsters were going to follow them to Andromeda.

Ryder has said that what the Angarans are going through with the Kett is a "nightmare"... possibly at the start of the mission where we find out what the Kett do to their prisoners.  I don't recall clearly and it might have been a result of dialog choices on my part.

To that first one of yours - uh wow, holy shit?

Spoiler:
The Firestarters or whatever assignment, which has SAM hacked by an anti-AI group which then hacks an Avina (warning all about the AI incidents with Quarians, Luna, and another thing with an Asari colony), has you pretending that you're okay and free from the influence of SAM, in order to stop the organization.

This reminds me of the idea of an 'indoctrinated' Shepard basically doing the same. Pretending to have broken free, to his allies and friends and faction, but really not, or at least basically not, and becoming a sort of agent of the Reapers. (Though as many IT interpretations go, Highest Destroy gives us the best idea of him at least being able to resist.)

EDIT: And the more times I hear the words 'wake up' in this game, the more I sideeye it.

The more I play this game, the more it looks like Montreal's training wheels project (yes even for its budget and importance) before the real stuff. ME1 was arguably somewhat like that for Edmonton in its own way. Like, hey here's your primer on things, get into it and we'll figure it out together, expand the setting and all that, then get back into the meat.

There's all those convo options which keep offering us the path of looking to the past and remembering it, stuff in Milky Way mattering to us, learning from secrets of history, having a fresh start but having regrets about it and understandably wanting to go back, etc etc. Tons of NPCs that provide references to the Milky Way, but sometimes not just that, but easily a starter basis of lore for new players that leave open the opportunity to use (and focus on) this lore again in the future (even if in a new way).

crash23
LOKI

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:25 am

Retard check: anyone still think there's any hope for IT or that other hints and subtext in Andromeduh was for anything more than to keep IT'ers as customers with no intention of any payoff ever?

In honor of Peebee:

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:01 am

Ill start to consider buying when they actually make good on those "hints." Until then, I am going to be highly skeptical of anything that seems to hint at IT.

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:02 pm

This guy absolutely nails it. Best explanation I've seen.

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by ZerebusPrime on Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:14 pm

Raistlin Majere wrote:Ill start to consider buying when they actually make good on those "hints." Until then, I am going to be highly skeptical of anything that seems to hint at IT.

In the story there is a fifth ark (quarian, elcor, hanar, drell, etc - multi-species) that was apparently slated to leave with the others but just wasn't ready in time. It sounds like an author's save for explaining why we don't have more old favorites in the new galaxy, but it's more than just that: an ark leaving late would likely have to contend with the Reapers. So.... maybe in a DLC?

I dunno, I'm only half way through the game, or maybe less.
ZerebusPrime
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by crash23 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:45 pm

ZerebusPrime wrote:
Raistlin Majere wrote:Ill start to consider buying when they actually make good on those "hints." Until then, I am going to be highly skeptical of anything that seems to hint at IT.

In the story there is a fifth ark (quarian, elcor, hanar, drell, etc - multi-species) that was apparently slated to leave with the others but just wasn't ready in time.  It sounds like an author's save for explaining why we don't have more old favorites in the new galaxy, but it's more than just that: an ark leaving late would likely have to contend with the Reapers.  So.... maybe in a DLC?

I haven't seen it myself yet, so this could be totally wrong, but some word I've read is that there's hints that this ark actually arrived but is intentionally staying away from the Nexus...

crash23
LOKI

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno on Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:07 pm

ZerebusPrime wrote:

In the story there is a fifth ark (quarian, elcor, hanar, drell, etc - multi-species) that was apparently slated to leave with the others but just wasn't ready in time.  It sounds like an author's save for explaining why we don't have more old favorites in the new galaxy, but it's more than just that: an ark leaving late would likely have to contend with the Reapers.  So.... maybe in a DLC?

Yeah, rumor mill says that the ark with the joke species will be DLC.

Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Maximus on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:47 pm

Rifneno wrote:Retard check: anyone still think there's any hope for IT or that other hints and subtext in Andromeduh was for anything more than to keep IT'ers as customers with no intention of any payoff ever?

Never had much hope for any kind of "IT REVEAL" in the first place. Amusing, that so many folks on these forums bought Andromeda, having made solemn vows against the notion of acquiring it in the first place. Heh. I suppose the lure of the main title hovering above 'Andromeda' was too strong to resist.

I know their game and can tell with certainty, that there won't be anything even closely related to "IT REEEVEEAAAL!" in near forseeable future. Even if that happens at some point in the history of the world, I don't think I'll be able to give any fucks about it anymore having - quite possibly - an entire friggin' family to take care of and whatever remains of hair on my bald scalp.

I feel sorry for you guys. I truly do. I understand why you persist on dissecting the subject. An idea forged this community and so many years into its existence, it's really hard to break those bonds.

What I don't understand is why you keep choosing to feel hate towards BioWare. They done fucked up. Period. Admit that you're here for social interactions and move on. Else you literally ask yourself for a headache, and for what? \_(o.0)_/

Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by magnetite on Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:35 pm

Rifneno wrote:Retard check: anyone still think there's any hope for IT or that other hints and subtext in Andromeduh was for anything more than to keep IT'ers as customers with no intention of any payoff ever?

I don't think any IT payoff will be super obvious.

Game won't just tell the player they're being/were indoctrinated. There will be lots of subtle hints though, and that's about it. Or reading between the lines kind of subtlety (eg. control Shepard and synthesis EDI's dialogue during the EC hints they were indoctrinated).

This was a mind screw ending. In that nature the reveal was vague, but not left out completely. It already happened.

Last edited by magnetite on Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:18 am; edited 2 times in total
magnetite
Brute

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:16 am

I'm currently playing through the ice world with those generic creatures that look like they're based on the Stretch Armstrong model. My god it's just so fkin boring. Fight Kett, Fight Remnant, mine. Rinse and repeat. It's like there are tantalising hints of what could possibly been a decent exploration game, but they've been lost under anal level design and glitches that end up being the highlight of any level so far.

This game is NOT as good as DA:I. Now I thought that game was a chore but OMG this game takes that level of fail to whole new levels.

Facial animation is terrible. Dialogue is comical. Level design is retarded. The Frostbite engine is a joke.

As far as IT is concerned? Don't hold your breath. Dont even think of giving this game any credit as far as IT is concerned. This is a game for a games sake, nothing more. I have no idea how anyone could come up with such a poorly thought out and poorly executed story. It's just....... Bang average. The whole thing stinks of cash grab.

Back to top Go down

Post by ZerebusPrime on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:24 pm

Rifneno wrote:
ZerebusPrime wrote:

Yeah, rumor mill says that the ark with the joke species will be DLC.

Honestly, I hope there's a big buildup to finding that ark. And then when we get inside we find...

Batarians. Nothing but Batarians who killed everyone else and used the Ark to get the Hell out of Dodge. And then maybe give us the option to blow up the Ark.
ZerebusPrime
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian on Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:31 am

Wait a mo. They're saving finding an Ark for DLC? Seriously?

Anyone who pays for that shit is a fucking idiot.

Back to top Go down

Post by WeAreHarbinger on Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:34 am

This doesn't shock me. When you lock important story content (Javik) behind a day 1 paywall or bring out Citadel DLC....yeah nothing shocks me anymore.

Blood Pack Boom-Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 23 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18 ... 23  Next