Literalists say the darndest things

Page 16 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by Restrider on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:19 pm

Eryri wrote:Well, Legion does talk about Reapers containing many conjoined sentient programs. However, he's not clear if these programs are the minds of those original beings, or new reaper programs which are just running on the "wetware" built out of the former species.

Even if they are based on the original species, indoctrination is supposed to be irreversible once it has taken hold. I doubt there would be much of the original beings' minds left after billions of years inside a reaper.
I'd imagine these programs living a life like what we see after Synthesis. Totally unaware of what they are.
EDIT: Does this mean we can save them? Probably not.

Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by GethJuggernautMKII on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:24 pm

Does anyone notice the tendency for control and synthesis supports to join forces against destroy supporters in debates? I used to think no one ending would agree with the other, but the "indoctrinated ending supports seem to have rallied together. Disturbing.

PS3 ID: HJL14J ~~~~~~~ The ending is simply a pop quiz to see if you, the player, payed attention to the themes and messages present within the trilogy.
GethJuggernautMKII
Varren

Back to top Go down

Post by noobcannon on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:59 pm

ElSuperGecko wrote:Wayning is a self-admitted troll. Pay no attention to the posts, they're absolute gibberish.

I'm now amusing myself by verbally tying Eterna up in knots in the
"Fate of Shepard" thread.

did he get rid of his sig after you called him out on it? what a dolt. lol.

EDIT: nvm, might have just been my browser not refreshing.
noobcannon
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Andromidius on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:25 pm

I see. So discussing whether Shepard was indoctrinated is banned, but discussing whether or not Shepard dies in Control despite being being blatantly obvious that Shepard dies is perfectly okay?

BSN. LOL.
Andromidius
Admin

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by zninjazero on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:34 pm

GethPrimeMKII wrote:Does anyone notice the tendency for control and synthesis supports to join forces against destroy supporters in debates? I used to think no one ending would agree with the other, but the "indoctrinated ending supports seem to have rallied together. Disturbing.

I think that's largely because the people who pick Destroy (and Refuse) think the endings are terrible (so Destroy/Refuse is just the least terrible ending) and the people who pick Control and Synthesis think the endings are great. So even from their point of view, there is a common ground.

zninjazero
Drone

Back to top Go down

Post by GethJuggernautMKII on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:54 am

Where would I fit in? I believe IT is Bioware's intent 100%, and I also enjoyed the endings because I see it from an IT perspective. But I'm still eager for the endings to be expanded on in upcoming DLC, because more Mass Effect content can only be a good thing.

PS3 ID: HJL14J ~~~~~~~ The ending is simply a pop quiz to see if you, the player, payed attention to the themes and messages present within the trilogy.
GethJuggernautMKII
Varren

Back to top Go down

Post by noobcannon on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:54 am

had these posted in another thread but i figure they'd be more appropriate here. some of them are pretty hilarious. enjoy.

WARNING: MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. READ AT YOUR RISK. YOUR IQ MAY DROP IF EXPOSED FOR TOO LONG. BE SURE TO DRINK PLENTY OF FLUIDS AND TAKE FREQUENT BREAKS.

shodiswe wrote...
As far as I know it's just a delusion of the IT cult. Not an actual ending.
Unless one of them managed to mak a mod for it.

shodiswe wrote...
I know that it´s a bunch of people looking for crazy symbolism to confirm a set of "prefered" convictions. If you look for a face on a sheet of paper with a lot ofrandom dots then you will find it. If you want to see things that are off to prove that something is a dream then it´s easy to find gfx glitches or reused textures that don´t mesh well and use that to convince yourself that it just a dream, or what ever you´re looking for.
As for the cult part, the way the IT people behave says it all.
To sum it up, The endings hurts so they look for easier to accept answers that hurt less. I don't feel like bringing it up in detail again. Let's just say I think it belongs in the garbage can like most religious delusions and cults and crap on this planet thats populated by a very disturbed and easily manipulated people, who actualy invites delusions because they might hurt less than reality. Sheep for the slaughter.
I really didn't like the original ending and the EC only made it slightly better but I don´t view the IT as a solution to anything.
That said, the Marauder shield comic is well made and entertaining. It's actualy good art in it self.
EDIT:
What i´m saying is I don´t like looking for obscure symbolism, sugestion or otherwise and call it truth. While wild speculations can be entertaining. As long as people don´t read too seriously into it and recognize it for what it is.

Heretic_Hanar wrote...
The indoctrination theory isn't an actual ending, it's just an interpretation from a bunch of fans who can't accept that BioWare just screwed up.
Also, IT threads are no longer allowed on the ME3 forum. You can discuss the IT in the IT group.

Eterna5 wrote...
Nope. It's a fan made theory that Bioware does not support.

Heretic_Hanar wrote...
Well, whether you like this Ed Wood stuff that BioWare came up with in ME3 or not, at least we can all agree that the IT is bogus and doesn't belong in the ME3 forum.

Seival wrote...
IT is not an option... never was, and never will be.

ZajoE38 wrote...
OP, it's just wishful thinking of the IT cultists. It's not real ending. Learn to live with it, or uninstall the game.

ZajoE38 wrote...
I studied indoctrination theory in to the LAST DETAIL my friend. I was it's one of the biggest fans. Then I've seen through it.. someting didn't add up. I do know what I am takling about. IT is nothing more than mix of selective memory, irrelevant leads, dogma, superstition, mass hysteria and backfire effect. Combine these things and people are willing to believe everything.. even the end of the world that of course was a delusion and it didn't happed :)

SU37 wrote...

Would you people get over this Indoctrination Theory garbage? Seriously.

It's old and not true.

BirdsallSa wrote...

Haven't you heard the mod's warnings? Or are you intentionally trying to defy Bioware? The Indoctrination Theory is to be discussed in groups. Or you can go join the cult's web forum if you need to discuss it so much. But, don't taint the bsn with this nonsense. The ending is perfect just the way it is and doesn't need some run of the mill twist.

Seival wrote...

Absurd. And IT related... Reported.

AdmiralCheez wrote...
OH BOY LOOK HOW EMOTIONAL THIS IS. LOOK HOW WE ARE HUMANIZING SHEPARD AND GIVING HER CHARACTER DEPTH. GEE, DON'T YOU FEEL SAD? ISN'T THIS GAME DEEP?
That's why. But still, in my headcanon, Shep's indoctrinated. I'm not an ITer because it's pretty obvious that Bioware didn't intend to make it that way.

in it for the lolz wrote...
Hey Mods, can we get a lockdown on this IT troll thread please?

Auld Wulf wrote...
So what you're saying here is, basically, one picks Destroy for one of three reasons.
1.) One is an insatiable paranoid who believes everything related to the reapers is irredeemably evil.
2.) One is a monster who loves nothing more than revelling in genocide and similar atrocities.
3.) One chooses Destroy out of spite because they hate the story/theme of the game.
Okay then. I can't say that surprises me a lot. I'd not call that 'rational' at all, though, I'd call that exceedingly emotional and irrational.

BirdsallSa wrote...
Thank you Wulf. Anyone who takes a long hard look at the game will see that Destroy is clearly not the best ending, nor was it ever intended to be.

Solaxe wrote...
You mean this ridiculous Overthinking... ops I'm sorry INDOCTRINATION Theory...? Don't make me laugh. It was made up by desperate fans.

MegumiAzusa wrote...
BirdsallSa wrote...
Looks like the whole gang is here. Too bad this thread is heading towards lockdown. Look, I've got as much respect for a half baked fan fiction as the next guy, but why don't you guys take your little conspiracy where it belongs, to group chat or to your clubhouse, because this forum is for people who actually like the game and its themes. It's for people who appreciate the magnificent way Bioware ended the trilogy without resorting to headcanoning nonsense.
Someone should ban them already, they only always cause the threads they post in to stumble into being an IT thread and thus getting locked. They don't abide to the rules, can't imagine why they are still here. Especially as they always say how much they hate this place.

spotlessvoid wrote...
ITers need to be purged from the bsn. They're a dangerous splinter cell and should not be allowed to spout their conspiracy ramblings at the cost of bringing down the highest standards to which the BSN holds itself. Twist endings, authorial intent, foreshadowing...I mean who talks like that? Weirdos, that's who.

spotlessvoid wrote...
How many times does a community manager have to tell them no more ending content before they believe it. What, do they want an actual developer to say it? Those guys are busy and don't have time for such silly nonsense. Stargazer scene is the end of the game and that's final. Get over it. Shepard is immune to indoctrination because his willpower is unbreakable. He's just suffering from PTSD. So go away you crazies.

Official DJ Harbinger wrote...
OP be trollin'
Cue the wave of butthurt from the IT Fanatics.

Birdsallsa wrote...
A good post is usually its own reward, but hearing praise from lineholder and Turianrebel was really a shot in the arm. Things like that help push me to the limit. But this thread has made me realize that my posting ability has no limit.
When I first came to the BSN, things were in shambles. That's when I proved Thessia was a great mission. Soon after I made a name for myself by defending Kai Leng. I really cemented my legacy by legitimizing the Intelligence and demanding respect for him among the community. I showed why Kai Leng is one of the great villains of our generation, and if Harbinger was going to be abandoned, there was no better man for the job.
Now, once and for all I've disproven the IT. There's not much left for me to do in my career here on the BSN. I guess what I'm looking for now is a sense of direction on the forum.

BirdsallSa wrote...
The IT cult has no facts, it's just a bunch of conspiracy theory mumbo jumbo. So you self-entitled destroyers can keep on whining, because the tried and true Bioware fans, the synthesizers and the controllers, aren't going away just because you go crying on a couple threads.

Last edited by noobcannon on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

"You thought you were so special? Better than everyone else outside this room? You traded your freedom for the luxury of feeling superior. You accepted the group's will over your own conviction, no matter who you hurt. You thought you were just "going along for the ride", and you could just walk away at any moment. But where were you heading? How far would you have gone?"
noobcannon
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by noobcannon on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:56 am

Birdsallsa wrote...
A good post is usually its own reward, but hearing praise from lineholder and Turianrebel was really a shot in the arm. Things like that help push me to the limit. But this thread has made me realize that my posting ability has no limit.

I am not exaggerating, this line right here had me in tears. in fact i'm laughing.

"You thought you were so special? Better than everyone else outside this room? You traded your freedom for the luxury of feeling superior. You accepted the group's will over your own conviction, no matter who you hurt. You thought you were just "going along for the ride", and you could just walk away at any moment. But where were you heading? How far would you have gone?"
noobcannon
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Andromidius on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:19 am

Urgh.

Honestly BSN can burn when people like that are encouraged to act that way.

Also, the person who said Shepard is indoctrinated but IT is wrong? You're a fucking coward.
Andromidius
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Restrider on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:39 am

GethPrimeMKII wrote:Does anyone notice the tendency for control and synthesis supports to join forces against destroy supporters in debates? I used to think no one ending would agree with the other, but the "indoctrinated ending supports seem to have rallied together. Disturbing.

The same goes for Destroy and Refuse.
Don't get me wrong, Destroyers and Refusers can have heated debates, if the debate is about whether Destroy or Refuse is better (for whatever reasons).

However, in discussions including all choices usually it is Synthesis/Control vs. Destroy/Refuse (basically in a meta-discussion though... more along the lines pro-end vs anti-end). Though sometimes it is Synthesis/Control/Destroy against Refuse, who are seen as doofuses for not choosing.
Edit: Semi ninja'd Ninja .

Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Restrider on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:43 am

GethPrimeMKII wrote:Where would I fit in? I believe IT is Bioware's intent 100%, and I also enjoyed the endings because I see it from an IT perspective. But I'm still eager for the endings to be expanded on in upcoming DLC, because more Mass Effect content can only be a good thing.

You would be a 245. Here is a link to the whole thing.

Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Restrider on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:49 am

noobcannon wrote:
shodiswe wrote...
--flawed reasoning--
That said, the Marauder shield comic is well made and entertaining. It's actualy good art in it self.
EDIT:
What i´m saying is I don´t like looking for obscure symbolism, sugestion or otherwise and call it truth. While wild speculations can be entertaining. As long as people don´t read too seriously into it and recognize it for what it is.

Huh? Isn't Marauder Shields basically what could happen after classic IT?? This is so hilariously stupid...
Spoiler:
You know, Shepard is lying somewhere in the rubble, being defended by Marauder Nihlus and the Crucible is a trap. All your squadmates/allies are still somewhere in London or in orbit and TIM is still up and kicking. The only thing Marauder Shields did was to say everything after the beam is being excluded, but did not call it "IT".

Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by ElSuperGecko on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:11 pm

Oh, Eterna...

Eterna5 wrote...
Control and Synthesis solve the problem, Destroy is a band aid.

ElSuperGecko wrote...Oh look, another person who's wholeheartedly bought into the Catalyst's flawed logic, vague explanations and meaningless platitudes. Let me spell out exactly where you're going wrong, in three simple statements.

1: The Reaper's purpose is not our purpose.

2: The Reaper's problems are not our problems.

3: The Reaper's solutions are not our solutions.

There's a word for people who the Reapers convince (or who have managed to convinces themselves) otherwise, but I'm not allowed to say it.

Suffice to say, the only "problem" the Galaxy is currently facing is the one raging on around the Citadel while you sit in awe in front of the Catalyst, drink it's Kool-Aid and hang on every word it says. The same "problem" that has lead to the extinction of every previous galactic civilisation since the Leviathan: The Reapers themselves.

Once the Reapers are gone for good, the galaxy will be free to examine the possibility of and find solutions for any other as-yet hypothetical and unproven "problem" on it's own terms, with the benefit of what we have learned from our current struggle and the lessons of the past to draw from, and without having to resort to relying on an omnipotent overlord and it's fleet of indestructable machine gods, or making unwanted, unpredictable and potentially entirely unneccesary wholesale changes to the basic genetic structire of every living being in the galaxy.

Or, y'know, you can carry on doing exactly what the Catalyst wants you to. It's up to you.

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:18 pm

wish there was a 'like' button for brilliant posts now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Master Blaster on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Anderson: WTF did I jusr read. Everything made either no sense, or they don't know what the hell they are talking about. Did byne, and acov created IT as fan made? No! Byne, and acov thought that Bioware did plan IT, and were trying to explain the ending being an indoctrinated attempt by the Reapers. However like morons people just pointed the reason why they hated IT, the people behind IT, yet never backed it up with evidence to support their claim.

Moreover If Bioware said to keep these people when IT is revaled true, then I am going to laugh my arse off to see their faces. If IT doesn't happen, then well nothing we can do. However I believe Bioware did plan IT, yet didn't cosider the backlash, how many people would catch on to the idea Shepard is being Indoctrinated. I think that Leviathan was going to shead some light on how if this happens in leviathan, then it's possible that this could be happening at the end. The Reaper leader, or Harbinger is in Shepard mind.
Master Blaster
Geth Prime

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:49 pm

noobcannon wrote:had these posted in another thread but i figure they'd be more appropriate here. some of them are pretty hilarious. enjoy.

spotlessvoid wrote...
ITers need to be purged from the bsn. They're a dangerous splinter cell and should not be allowed to spout their conspiracy ramblings at the cost of bringing down the highest standards to which the BSN holds itself. Twist endings, authorial intent, foreshadowing...I mean who talks like that? Weirdos, that's who.

spotlessvoid wrote...
How many times does a community manager have to tell them no more ending content before they believe it. What, do they want an actual developer to say it? Those guys are busy and don't have time for such silly nonsense. Stargazer scene is the end of the game and that's final. Get over it. Shepard is immune to indoctrination because his willpower is unbreakable. He's just suffering from PTSD. So go away you crazies.

Whahaha, spot made it into the 'darndest things' thread.

Guys, spot has been with us since day one. He does the most genius literalist parodies, remember that. Laughing

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryri on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:02 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:

Guys, spot has been with us since day one. He does the most genius literalist parodies, remember that. Laughing

The fact that it's so hard to tell a deliberately exaggerated parody from the genuine article; speaks volumes. Whistling
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by Andromidius on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:46 pm

dork wrote:wish there was a 'like' button for brilliant posts now.

+1

Totally agreed. I wish I could impliment that feature (some forums can, it depends on the code I guess).

The Reaper's solution is a lot like the 'Final Solution'. Enslave the 'inferior' species and force them to do your will, convince some of them to turn traitor and expose more of them, and eventually kill them all when experiments to try and force them to become more like them fail.

I imagine if there was a video game of WW2's Holocaust there would be some people who would sympathise with Josef Menegle and agree with his methods.
Andromidius
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rankincountry on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Andromidius wrote:
dork wrote:wish there was a 'like' button for brilliant posts now.

+1

Totally agreed. I wish I could impliment that feature (some forums can, it depends on the code I guess).

The Reaper's solution is a lot like the 'Final Solution'. Enslave the 'inferior' species and force them to do your will, convince some of them to turn traitor and expose more of them, and eventually kill them all when experiments to try and force them to become more like them fail.

I imagine if there was a video game of WW2's Holocaust there would be some people who would sympathise with Josef Menegle and agree with his methods.

For those who haven't already seen it, noobcannon made a very interesting thread on a similar topic.

They want to tell you this, they want to tell you that, just hold your hat when the black wind blows

Everywhere I go I hear what's going on
And the more I hear the less I know
Everywhere I go I hear what's going on
And the more I hear the less I know

John Jones/Oysterband
Rankincountry
Nemesis

Location : Sunny Valley Rest Home for Burnt-Out Gamers, Karpyshyn Ward

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianprice74

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:11 pm

Eryri wrote:
DoomsdayDevice wrote:

The fact that it's so hard to tell a deliberately exaggerated parody from the genuine article; speaks volumes. Whistling

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Poe%27s_Law
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:25 pm

^ So true.

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by GethJuggernautMKII on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:06 pm

I think my IQ dropped a few points from reading that many posts from all the top haters/trolls in one go.

Also, I had a quick chat in MP late last night with a guy who compares ITers to militant islamists (sp?). I seriously worry that society will descend to the level of Idiocracy sometimes.

GethJuggernautMKII
Varren

Back to top Go down

Post by Allynna on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:08 pm

GethPrimeMKII wrote:I think my IQ dropped a few points from reading that many posts from all the top haters/trolls in one go.

Yeah, that thread must come with a warning...

Husk

Back to top Go down

Post by noobcannon on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:57 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:
noobcannon wrote:had these posted in another thread but i figure they'd be more appropriate here. some of them are pretty hilarious. enjoy.

spotlessvoid wrote...

spotlessvoid wrote...

i figured as much. i remember you mentioning this before but i figured he'd appreciate making the list and take it as a compliment. haha.

also, on an additional note, all of the quotes i posted, are just from the last 4 weeks or so. if i had been keeping track since the very beginning, this list would have gone on forever. i also only listed the ones that were really bad and/or directed at me personally.

noobcannon
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by noobcannon on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:13 pm

Allynna wrote:
GethPrimeMKII wrote:I think my IQ dropped a few points from reading that many posts from all the top haters/trolls in one go.

Yeah, that thread must come with a warning...

done

noobcannon
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top