Literalists say the darndest things

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by GethJuggernautMKII on Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:04 am

I read through noobcannon's collection of posts. I laughed. I cried. I lost my faith in humanity and welcome the Reaper harvest.

_________________

PS3 ID: HJL14J ~~~~~~~ The ending is simply a pop quiz to see if you, the player, payed attention to the themes and messages present within the trilogy.
avatar
GethJuggernautMKII
Varren

Posts : 401
Join date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by applepie_svk on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:13 am

Fur28 wrote:Lets attack one individual at a time, first their most influential(or stupid): Seival

Ah Seival... when logic burns every bridge Rofl Rofl ...
avatar
applepie_svk
Drone

Posts : 4
Join date : 2013-02-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by AxStapleton on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:07 am

AxStapleton wrote:Wayning Star is such a moron.


Wayning star wrote:

MY Shep is imperivous to indoctrination.

When someone just said you wouldn't know when you've lost to Indoctrination. /facepalm

_________________
Tali Heart

avatar
AxStapleton
Varren

Posts : 413
Join date : 2013-01-15
Age : 24
Location : Hertfordshire, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by RavenEyry on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:10 am

AxStapleton wrote:Wayning Star is such a moron.


Wayning star wrote:

MY Shep is imperivous to indoctrination.

When someone just said you wouldn't know when you've lost to Indoctrination. /facepalm
I responded with "Well my Shep is the queen of Spain". He's not the only one that can make shit up.
avatar
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Posts : 1702
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 24
Location : Lincoln, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by Nightvayne on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:36 pm

This poll and possibly the whole topic on this site down below.

http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/995452-mass-effect-3/65545364

_________________
Gamertag on Xbox Live is Nightvayne5749
avatar
Nightvayne
Thorian Creeper

Posts : 129
Join date : 2013-01-22
Age : 28
Location : Houston,Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by Andromidius on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:52 pm

Wait, what? One of them said "EC? Nope. EC + Leviathan? Sure."

What was it that changed the ending to be 'good' for him in Leviathan? That made it more confusing and weird without IT!
avatar
Andromidius
Admin

Posts : 1153
Join date : 2013-01-07

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by GethJuggernautMKII on Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:09 pm

"The literal ending sucks and I want a better explanation, but I hate IT"

Some people cant be pleased.

_________________

PS3 ID: HJL14J ~~~~~~~ The ending is simply a pop quiz to see if you, the player, payed attention to the themes and messages present within the trilogy.
avatar
GethJuggernautMKII
Varren

Posts : 401
Join date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:53 pm

This makes me think about the people claiming that Destroy is "the only right ending", just because the other two kinda seem like you're "siding with the Reapers". But if you think about it, it's not a bad thing. Their goal isn't the harvest, it's just the means (as horrible as those means are). The goal is preservation of life, in the long (loooooooooooooooooooooooong) run. And the Cycle is the only way they can do that. The Crucible, however, offers a different solution, one that doesn't need to wipe all sentient life from the galaxy.

... people really are indoctrinated.

No, siding with the Reapers isn't that bad, the harvest isn't a goal, it's just the means to a noble end!


_________________
"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson

avatar
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Posts : 2959
Join date : 2013-01-08
Location : Probing Uranus

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by Andromidius on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:40 pm

The Reaper's goal isn't the preservation of life at all. Its the domination of life, but only life that's useful to them.

People believe Starbinger far too easily. Its arguments are so paper thin that its ridiculous.
avatar
Andromidius
Admin

Posts : 1153
Join date : 2013-01-07

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by Steelcan on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:14 pm

Andromidius wrote:The Reaper's goal isn't the preservation of life at all. Its the domination of life, but only life that's useful to them.

People believe Starbinger far too easily. Its arguments are so paper thin that its ridiculous.
. Hats because people think he's an exposition dump. He really falls into the Diabolus ex Machina trope.
avatar
Steelcan
Scion

Posts : 610
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 22
Location : Columbia SC

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by Raistlin Majere on Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:56 pm

Steelcan wrote:
Andromidius wrote:The Reaper's goal isn't the preservation of life at all. Its the domination of life, but only life that's useful to them.

People believe Starbinger far too easily. Its arguments are so paper thin that its ridiculous.
. Hats because people think he's an exposition dump. He really falls into the Diabolus ex Machina trope.

Yeah, really.

Who in their right mind would think any writer with respect for themselves would place an information dump at the end of a story? Okay granted I did in one of my stories, but that was a short story directly created as a lead in to a following longer story.

Basic logic would tell you that you do not place such a radical exposition dump in the climax of a three part story!

_________________
Heroes get Remembered, but Legends never Die.
avatar
Raistlin Majere
N7

Posts : 1089
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 25
Location : Denmark

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by Cyberfrog on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:37 pm

I think it's fine if it just summarizes what you could already have picked up during the game. For the, uh, less thoughtful people - or for people who play casually (infrequently) and forget clues and stuff.

To just toss Synthesis in there and say it's the bestest solution evar... that sure as hell doesn't work, and any non-sucky writer would know it.

_________________
"The Catalyst's 'final evolution' is bullsh*t and it always was." - Ieldra2

cheers
avatar
Cyberfrog
Gas Bag

Posts : 67
Join date : 2013-01-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by Nightvayne on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:05 am

WatermelonFarts | Posted 2/25/2013 10:24:42 PM | message detail | quote | reveal spoilers is actually Cerberus. Illusive Man indoctrinated us during single player by the hypnotizing metallic posterior of Dr. Eva, and later EDI. He knew-- he had this all planned from the start. He would trick us into having a false sense of security after being with EDI for so long, and then finally giving her a body. He knew about the Galaxy at War and how the Alliance was using various troops from around the galaxy to fight off the Reapers. Little did we know, the Illusive Man has controlled all of the Reapers and is now fighting the war himself. He decided to wait until the very, very end to unleash his plan. He knew the troops would be tired and lacking in morale after such long fights. TIM intercepted communications coming from an unknown extranet website and he discovered plans for new troops to bring reckoning upon him so full efforts could finally be focused on the Reapers.

The final stage of his plan was put into action as he "leaked" plans for the Eva combat model by masterfully fixing her image into a banner that was to be displayed across the galaxy to inspire old troops with knowledge new reinforcements were coming. The Alliance saw these plans and created the new combat models to deploy into combat. TIM, however, put bugs into the programming so when the time is right, he can control all of the robots and turn them on the Alliance with their inability to die, invisibility feature, and amazing skill when it come to shotguns. When this happens, the Galactic Forces will tremble beneath the metallic heels of the "Alliance Infiltration Unit."

_________________
Gamertag on Xbox Live is Nightvayne5749
avatar
Nightvayne
Thorian Creeper

Posts : 129
Join date : 2013-01-22
Age : 28
Location : Houston,Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by Restrider on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:54 am

AverageReductionist wrote:Okay guys, you all had fun with your headcannon, but the "IT" has been debunked by BW a few months ago and you being just a small, vocal group of delusioned, close-minded cultist-zealots make the BSN a toxic environment. Go discuss your little fan-fiction in the groups section, with its stellar user inteface and features. I also reported this thread for discussing a core theme of the trilogy and violating no rules of the BSN.
The EC obviously showed us that the Catalyst is an honest person and he and the Reapers only want the best for the galaxy and the organics. Also, Jessica Merizan already pointed out that Synthesis is the cannon ending. Although Control is also fancy since it is colored paragon-blue. TIM was right all along and was just looking after our needs.

Oh, and if Shepard was indoctrinated, the VI on Thessia would have known it.
Also, the dreams are just Shepard having PTSD, obviously! And Shepard is also obviously immune to indoctrination, that's fact proven by my opinion.
To add, the Shepard cannot be indoctrinated, since I control Shepard!
The Jungle World at the end of ME3 is obviously Mars (it has two moons, duh!) as said by Jessica Merrizan!
And Shepard in the Destroy ending is taking his last breath obviously on the Citadel! We have seen a lot of time people breath in a vacuum and the radiation unleashed by the Crucible can only result in a mild sun burn at worst.
And Leviathan DLC obviously debunked "IT" even more, because it shows that the Catalyst is real and because reasons.
Also, the Arrival DLC in ME2 is obviously not cannon, while the EC obviously is (especially Synthesis ending!! *I love you Omnia*). Everyone choosing Destroy is obviously a massmurdering, genocidal Space N@zi since it is colored renage-red and not seeing the potential of the other choices... it's so ... perfect.


And to all other weird stuff in the game I say reused assets, Occam's Razor, Hanlon's Principle, scientific method -- although I obviously do not know how/when to use these concepts correctly -- and BAD RITEYINGS!! DURR! - Chakwruuu (TM) .
Also, I postulate that BW has not the ability to do such a thing, which is also proven by my opinion and not disproven by any other games released by BW in the past. I know that since I played only ME3, which is the best point to start the trilogy!

Every alteration of what I just stated is a felony by the global charta of douchery approved by the UN Security Council and while I consider myself open-minded and humble, everyone with a different opinion has no right to exist.

_________________
IT's Top Ten||IT Variations||BSN Census||First Playthrough Choice||IT and Refuse
The Decision Chamber and you||IT Discussion Flowchart||IT Council||IT Personality Test
avatar
Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Posts : 934
Join date : 2013-01-07
Location : Democratic Republic of New Germany - Phase 1 Space

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by HYR 2.1 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:12 pm

Raistlin Majere wrote:
Steelcan wrote:
Andromidius wrote:The Reaper's goal isn't the preservation of life at all. Its the domination of life, but only life that's useful to them.

People believe Starbinger far too easily. Its arguments are so paper thin that its ridiculous.
. Hats because people think he's an exposition dump. He really falls into the Diabolus ex Machina trope.

Yeah, really.

Who in their right mind would think any writer with respect for themselves would place an information dump at the end of a story? Okay granted I did in one of my stories, but that was a short story directly created as a lead in to a following longer story.

Basic logic would tell you that you do not place such a radical exposition dump in the climax of a three part story!


Does basic logic also reject ME1 Vigil?
avatar
HYR 2.1
Pirate

Posts : 81
Join date : 2013-02-11
Age : 25
Location : Classified.

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by RavenEyry on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:35 pm

Vigil was at the end of act 1. Info dumps often occur then.
avatar
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Posts : 1702
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 24
Location : Lincoln, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by Andromidius on Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:17 pm

Not to mention Vigil wasn't at the end either. After him there was a lengthy travel through the aquaducts, and then a battle across the Citadel, and finally confronting Saren.
avatar
Andromidius
Admin

Posts : 1153
Join date : 2013-01-07

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by GethJuggernautMKII on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:56 pm

The problem with the Catalyst is that, if taken literally, it completely flips the game's themes upside down.

_________________

PS3 ID: HJL14J ~~~~~~~ The ending is simply a pop quiz to see if you, the player, payed attention to the themes and messages present within the trilogy.
avatar
GethJuggernautMKII
Varren

Posts : 401
Join date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by RavenEyry on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:28 pm

Yeah, you get people calling synthesis everything the trilogy stood for even though they'd never heard of the idea until the last ten minutes. I hope none of them are detectives.

"All the evidence points to you, did you do it?"
"No."
"Okay then, you're free to go!"
avatar
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Posts : 1702
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 24
Location : Lincoln, England

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by Raistlin Majere on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:34 pm

RavenEyry wrote:Yeah, you get people calling synthesis everything the trilogy stood for even though they'd never heard of the idea until the last ten minutes. I hope none of them are detectives.

"All the evidence points to you, did you do it?"
"No."
"Okay then, you're free to go!"

Well to be fair we did hear about it one place...Saren...though he is so reliable a source Laughing

_________________
Heroes get Remembered, but Legends never Die.
avatar
Raistlin Majere
N7

Posts : 1089
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 25
Location : Denmark

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by Veridiano02 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:03 pm

I'm sorry, but i have to say it. This sentence is remarkable.

AverageReductionist wrote:
[...] I consider myself open-minded and humble, everyone with a different opinion has no right to exist.
avatar
Veridiano02
Pod Crab

Posts : 33
Join date : 2013-02-01
Location : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by FreewheelinDylan on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:09 pm

I don't want to sound like an elitist snob by posting this but after reviewing the type of people who make up literalists versus the kind who make up IT, it's clear to me that we're much more adept at understanding human behavior, analyzing patterns, and reading into subtext.

And it shows, I think. For one, IT supporters tend to have higher quality videos because we understand the logic behind video editing. In short, we understand the power of meta-narratives and how it influences the cinematic experience. Essentially, we know how media can indoctrinate viewers. After all, why do companies and political campaigns spend billions each year on commercials, merchandise, and PR?

That's what separates us from conspiracy theorists. Because it's not some giant conspiracy. It's simply about pandering to the common denominator and getting the most out of things.

So, if and when Bioware decides to reward the naive, I will be utterly disappointed in them. They won't confirm or deny IT but by refusing to do so, they are simply denying IT all the same. Because they're choosing political correctness (and therefore, money) over ideas. They could've made the Citizen Kane or Casablanca of video games but instead sold out to make a few more million. Now, that wouldn't be a problem because what right do we have to decide what they can or cannot do?

Well, for all their preaching against indoctrination and against selling out to the Reapers, they're exactly doing what the Reapers would've wanted them to. And while that may sound too meta or overly dramatic, in the context of this game, they've betrayed the fans who stood by them and measured them by their actions rather than the ends. Essentially, their last action would be to lie to their fans.

Which, I don't really give a fuck about but if they're going to pretend that everything was happily ever after, then they shouldn't lie about it and just admit that the game was a tragedy where humanity gets wiped out and the Reapers win like they always have. Instead, the meta-lie is what bugs me.

...
...

Anyway, back on the topic of literalists. They're adolescents. I don't agree with IT for the most part (because I don't think it was intentional and I don't really like arguing for something so subjective...also hate Clevernoob type guys) but hearing the arguments against IT...it's ridiculous. These guys see so much in black and white. I just can't respect that.
avatar
FreewheelinDylan
Pod Crab

Posts : 33
Join date : 2013-01-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by Andromidius on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:16 pm

+1

Also, we all dislike Clevernoob. He's the Seival of the ITers. Though his statistics video was decent.
avatar
Andromidius
Admin

Posts : 1153
Join date : 2013-01-07

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by Starscream on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:53 am

Andromidius wrote:+1

Also, we all dislike Clevernoob. He's the Seival of the ITers. Though his statistics video was decent.

To be honest, I think Clevernoob is clearly a lot more skilled at video-editing than most ITers. We can clearly see some form of professionalism in his videos. Especially this video is nicely done and really professional.

When it comes to video-editing, I think most IT videos are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to long and repeat the same things way too often. You don't need a video of over an hour long to get your point across. The IT can easily be explained and supported in a 10 to 20 minutes video.
avatar
Starscream
Mercenary

Posts : 105
Join date : 2013-01-08
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by Andromidius on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:26 am

...but Clevernoob's videos are mostly an hour long and extremely rambly. Did we watch the same videos?
avatar
Andromidius
Admin

Posts : 1153
Join date : 2013-01-07

http://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum