Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theorists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Literalists say the darndest things

+47
FreewheelinDylan
applepie_svk
zninjazero
noobcannon
Veridiano02
JamesStone
HYR 2.1
sandman2190
401 Kill
Rankincountry
leafs43
richie21
BatmanTurian
lex0r
Nightvayne
AxStapleton
demersel
invetro
DSharrah
Cyberfrog
Arian Dynas
Arkio
Hanako Ikezawa
Master Blaster
Starscream
umadcommander
BleedingUranium
DoomsdayDevice
Hrothdane
clennon8
skillz1986
Eryri
shadowsenshi
Allynna
Rifneno
Andromidius
magnetite
Steelcan
draconian139
ElSuperGecko
Restrider
Raistlin Majere
GethJuggernautMKII
dorktainian
Fur28
Norlond
RavenEyry
51 posters

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Go down

Literalists say the darndest things - Page 3 Empty Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by Eryri Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:55 pm

Having a debate with some synthesis supporters.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/15377303/30#15563869

They seem to be suggesting that the Morning War was the Geth's fault for not understanding why the Quarians were afraid of them. If only they had been synthesised, with "full understanding of organics" then they might not have had the bad manners to upset their creators with uncouth questions like "does this unit have a soul?"
Eryri
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Literalists say the darndest things - Page 3 Empty Re: Literalists say the darndest things

Post by GethJuggernautMKII Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:00 am

Iknorite. The morning war is perhaps the worst example to site if you're arguing in favor of the catalyst's logic.
GethJuggernautMKII
GethJuggernautMKII
Varren

Back to top Go down

Post by Andromidius Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:11 am

Eryri wrote:Having a debate with some synthesis supporters.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/15377303/30#15563869

They seem to be suggesting that the Morning War was the Geth's fault for not understanding why the Quarians were afraid of them. If only they had been synthesised, with "full understanding of organics" then they might not have had the bad manners to upset their creators with uncouth questions like "does this unit have a soul?"

I don't even...
Andromidius
Andromidius
Admin

https://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryri Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:17 am

Perhaps I was a little harsh in my assessment of their arguments, but the fact remains that "Synthesis" as the Catalyst describes it, would not have prevented the Morning War.

Instead it would have given the Geth the ability to feel emotions like anger and hate, and give the Quarians cyborg strength and other martial enhancements. Hardly seems a recipe for defusing that conflict.
Eryri
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:45 am

The quarians may not have suvived the morning war if the geth were synthesised
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryri Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:53 am

RavenEyry wrote:The quarians may not have suvived the morning war if the geth were synthesised

Indeed not. Particularly if the Geth adopted other organic traits like vindictiveness.

I'm sensing a pattern with your avatars by the way. Can we expect X-Men's Mystique sporting a fez in the future?
Eryri
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:54 am

That is one of the ones in my collection. I was gonna see if anyone knew why she was counted as a raven but you pre-empted me!

I'm disappointed in this one because I should've put a fez on the cane too.
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryri Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:59 am

RavenEyry wrote:That is one of the ones in my collection. I was gonna see if anyone knew why she was counted as a raven but you pre-empted me!

Oops. Sorry. I can edit my post if you don't want to spoil it.
Eryri
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:00 am

Nah it's fine. It's not really a competition, I'm just trying to find some obscure ones.

I bet non brits don't recognize the current one.
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:03 pm

Apparently we aren't forcing synthesis because we built the crucible willingly.
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by skillz1986 Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:08 pm

RavenEyry wrote:Apparently we aren't forcing synthesis because we built the crucible willingly.

Of course, since everybody knew what the crucible was going to do from the get go....

What a bunch of bollocks.
skillz1986
skillz1986
Adjutant

Back to top Go down

Post by GethJuggernautMKII Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:37 pm

Well at least they're using their imagination and not shouting "bad riting!"
GethJuggernautMKII
GethJuggernautMKII
Varren

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:08 pm

skillz1986 wrote:
RavenEyry wrote:Apparently we aren't forcing synthesis because we built the crucible willingly.

Of course, since everybody knew what the crucible was going to do from the get go....

Correction, the Citadel caused Synthesis, the Crucible was nothing more than a power source :stick:

And we all know that we build the Citadel...wait Unsure
Raistlin Majere
Raistlin Majere
N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:12 pm

Raistlin Majere wrote:
skillz1986 wrote:

Correction, the Citadel caused Synthesis, the Crucible was nothing more than a power source :stick:

And we all know that we build the Citadel...wait Unsure

LOL. Niiiice catch.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:12 pm

Reapers don't count as the product of synthesis because other life still exists. Synthesis only counts when all life in existence is affected.
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by GethJuggernautMKII Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:19 pm

Its tough to debate someone when you can't understand what they're saying. If anyone is still following the "synthesis is an abomination thread" then help me understand what the hell Wayning_Star is trying to say.
GethJuggernautMKII
GethJuggernautMKII
Varren

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryri Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:47 pm

Phantom Infiltrator wrote:Its tough to debate someone when you can't understand what they're saying. If anyone is still following the "synthesis is an abomination thread" then help me understand what the hell Wayning_Star is trying to say.

Sorry mate, you're on your own with that guy. In fairness I suspect English is not his first language, but I can't make heads or tails of his posts.
Eryri
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by clennon8 Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:50 pm

The lengths Synthies will go to to justify and rationalize Synthesis is downright religious-like. There is just so much faithiness wrapped up in it.

Also, Wayning_Star is an effing moron. There are a couple of really smart (if deluded) people defending Synthesis, but most of them are morons.
clennon8
clennon8
Thorian Creeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Hrothdane Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:01 pm

I had someone on the GiantBomb forums try to say that the ending is sooooooo deep because the ending is a representation of the Hegelian dialectic of thesis, antithesis, synthesis.

There are two problems with this.

1. Hegel never described his dialectic in such a way; other writers misrepresented his writing and that misrepresentation became better-known. The accepted form is abstract, negative, concrete. The term used by Hegel to describe overcoming the negative is Aufhebung, which is usually translated into English as sublimation.

2. The dialectic is meant to describe a process occurring thoughout ALL OF HUMAN HISTORY, PAST AND FUTURE. So naturally, you can shoehorn it into just about anything. I even used the example of how you could apply the dialectic to Bubbles, Buttercup, and Blossom (who are even red, green, and blue OMG).

Even if the writers intended a shout-out to Hegel, it would mean they fucked it up and have only the most pedestrian knowledge of his works.
Hrothdane
Hrothdane
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:04 pm

Hrothdane wrote: Bubbles, Buttercup, and Blossom (who are even red, green, and blue OMG).
Their colours don't match sadly. Blossom control, Bubbles synthesis, Buttercup destroy
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hrothdane Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:15 pm

RavenEyry wrote:
Hrothdane wrote: Bubbles, Buttercup, and Blossom (who are even red, green, and blue OMG).
Their colours don't match sadly. Blossom control, Bubbles synthesis, Buttercup destroy

Actually, Blossom destroy, Buttercup synthesis, Bubbles control.

I know it still doesn't fit, but that was more making fun of how the guy was making a big deal about ONE similarity to something intended to be extremely general. It would be like someone acting as though every instance of Rule of Three or Red, Blue, and Green was somehow related to each other.
Hrothdane
Hrothdane
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by ElSuperGecko Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:20 pm

Phantom Infiltrator wrote:Its tough to debate someone when you can't understand what they're saying. If anyone is still following the "synthesis is an abomination thread" then help me understand what the hell Wayning_Star is trying to say.

LOL, I gave up on that guy a few pages earlier when he apparently decided his own personal headcannon superceded any and all in-game material.
ElSuperGecko
ElSuperGecko
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:23 pm

Hrothdane wrote:
RavenEyry wrote:

I know their real colours, I was changing them to fit.
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hrothdane Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:33 pm

RavenEyry wrote:
Hrothdane wrote:
RavenEyry wrote:

I know their real colours, I was changing them to fit.

Oh, gotcha.
Hrothdane
Hrothdane
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:51 pm

ElSuperGecko wrote:

LOL, I gave up on that guy a few pages earlier when he apparently decided his own personal headcannon superceded any and all in-game material.

I gave up him when he said evolution is just a theory.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next