IT: The Ultimate Quotes Collection

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: IT: The Ultimate Quotes Collection

Post by Eryri on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:02 pm

Steelcan wrote:
RavenEyry wrote:But harby's tone, to the drell at least, heavily implies to me at least that they won't be 'preserved' in any form.
Not because they are inherently unworthy, there just aren't enough of them to make a reaper

In which case the Catalyst should just leave them alone to repopulate to a suitable number and then harvest them, if he was truly interested in preserving organic life. I doubt that will be his plan though.

Why the Reapers need so many individuals of a species is a bit of a mystery to me though. Why not just take some cells and culture them in a big vat until you have enough to make your reaper?
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Eryri wrote:
Why the Reapers need so many individuals of a species is a bit of a mystery to me though. Why not just take some cells and culture them in a big vat until you have enough to make your reaper?
But that would decrease the amount of killin' involved. The reapers might mutiny if Mr. Sparkle isn't letting them have enough fun.
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelcan on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:15 pm

Eryri wrote:
Steelcan wrote:
RavenEyry wrote:But harby's tone, to the drell at least, heavily implies to me at least that they won't be 'preserved' in any form.
Not because they are inherently unworthy, there just aren't enough of them to make a reaper

In which case the Catalyst should just leave them alone to repopulate to a suitable number and then harvest them, if he was truly interested in preserving organic life. I doubt that will be his plan though.

This is assuming that the Catalyst both is rational and reasonable. He isn't
Steelcan
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryri on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:16 pm

RavenEyry wrote:
Eryri wrote:
But that would decrease the amount of killin' involved. The reapers might mutiny if Mr. Sparkle isn't letting them have enough fun.

Well we can't have that now can we? Wink

Someone raised a similar point on the BSN. This "preservation" motive is contradicted by the Reaper's modus operandi of leaving the galaxy unsupervised for 50,000 year stretches. It made sense if the Reapers were waiting until each species invented new and interesting technology that they could benefit from by incorporating into themselves, but if their motive is altruistic preservation, then it's inefficient for them to leave at all.

Humans have been genetically the same for thousands of years. It would have made far more sense to harvest us when we were primitive, confined to just one planet, and unable to undo all the Catalyst's hard work in preserving other species as reapers by blowing them up.

By rights they should stay within the galaxy and pick off each species as and when it reaches a big enough population. Even if they wanted to be absolutely sure we'd finished evolving and were at the peak of "ripeness" they need only have waited until say, now, when we have a huge population but no spaceflight, and we've yet to invent artificial intelligence.
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:18 pm

Also apparently it's perfectly fine for species to extinct themselves as almost happened to the drell, krogan and rachni. The last one was probably sovereigns fault too.

It's not 'preserve all life', it's 'preserve whatever life happens to be there every so many years'.
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryri on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:20 pm

Steelcan wrote:
This is assuming that the Catalyst both is rational and reasonable. He isn't

Ain't that the truth.
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by skillz1986 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:21 pm

RavenEyry wrote:Also apparently it's perfectly fine for species to extinct themselves as almost happened to the drell, krogan and rachni. The last one was probably sovereigns fault too.

It's not 'preserve all life', it's 'preserve whatever life happens to be there every so many years'.

Or for a large part of a population to nuke their own city (city of teyvor. Glyph mentions it to liara).
I mean the reapers surely anticipated things like that to happen right? It's not like this is the first time they're harvesting, is it?
skillz1986
Adjutant

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelcan on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:29 pm

skillz1986 wrote:
RavenEyry wrote:Also apparently it's perfectly fine for species to extinct themselves as almost happened to the drell, krogan and rachni. The last one was probably sovereigns fault too.

Or for a large part of a population to nuke their own city (city of teyvor. Glyph mentions it to liara).
I mean the reapers surely anticipated things like that to happen right? It's not like this is the first time they're harvesting, is it?
The colonists on Teyvor should have just waited for the reapers to land. Then nuke themselves.
Steelcan
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by skillz1986 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:38 pm

Steelcan wrote:
skillz1986 wrote:

The colonists on Teyvor should have just waited for the reapers to land. Then nuke themselves.

Yeah..take some of the reapers with them. Still, there would have been thousands of organics gone due to the reapers (well indirectly). Which kind of goes against the reapers' purpose.
skillz1986
Adjutant

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:38 pm

Restrider wrote:Nice...
Though I know there are only a limited number of quotes that could be adressed with Refuse, but wouldn't a Refuse section at the end round this list up?

What exactly do you have in mind?

Refuse is a bit of a question mark, to be honest. So far, I've only found one quote that supports refuse, but there's a ton of stuff in the pro-destroy quotes that paints refuse in a bad light. I'm not sure what to do with it. Unsure

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere on Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:02 pm

Dont forget the Reapers stunt on Rannoch.

N7

Back to top Go down

Post by skillz1986 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:07 pm

Raistlin Majere wrote:

Dont forget the Reapers stunt on Rannoch.

"we harvest organic life so it does not get whiped out by synthetics. Sometimes though, we upgrade synthetics so they whipe out organics..just for fun...we're a funny bunch".
skillz1986
Adjutant

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:44 am

Here'a beautiful anti-Control quote:
"When two AI weapons arte pitted against each other, the one with superior hardware will always win. Human misjudgements defy predictive models."
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:51 am

Selim Bradley wrote:Here'a beautiful anti-Control quote:
"When two AI weapons arte pitted against each other, the one with superior hardware will always win. Human misjudgements defy predictive models."

Classified 'A', for Awesome.

Thanks! I'll add it. Grin

EDI says that, right?

"A good leader is someone who values the life of his men over the success of the mission, but understands that sometimes the cost of failing a mission is higher than the cost of losing those men." - Anderson

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa on Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:53 am

DoomsdayDevice wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:Here'a beautiful anti-Control quote:
"When two AI weapons are pitted against each other, the one with superior hardware will always win. Human misjudgements defy predictive models."

Classified 'A', for Awesome.

Thanks! I'll add it. Grin

EDI says that, right?
Yes, after being unshackled and working with Joker.
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightvayne on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:04 am

I do not know if this means anything but I recently heard this on the my recent playthrough.

Cerberus Annoucer:Children of Grissom Academy lay down your arms your parents are save and sound at the Sancuary founded by Cerberus.Surrender now so you may see them again.

Nightvayne
Thorian Creeper

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:47 pm

Dr Archer's response to what's going on at Project Overlord: "Man's reach exceeding his grasp". The whole thing was an experiment in control.
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:09 pm

Ooo nice, Raven. Do you have a more complete quote?

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:38 pm

It is complete, after destroying the uplink dish at the start of overlord Archer runs out and Shepard asks "What's going on here" and he says that before explaining the project.
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:39 pm

Nice, thanks.

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:23 am

This is still fantastic, and exactly what gives me hope for this series.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarrod_L on Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:58 pm

Arrival DLC, datapad of one of the indoctrinated scientists:

"I woke up this morning in a cold sweat. The nightmare was back, the one with the enormous starship crawling through the Citadel and all my friends turning to dust. Even now I can see it in my mind. Why won’t this stop?"

This confirms that nightmares can be a sign of ongoing indoctrination attempts.

Jarrod_L
Pyjak

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:16 am

Jarrod_L wrote:Arrival DLC, datapad of one of the indoctrinated scientists:

"I woke up this morning in a cold sweat. The nightmare was back, the one with the enormous starship crawling through the Citadel and all my friends turning to dust. Even now I can see it in my mind. Why won’t this stop?"

This confirms that nightmares can be a sign of ongoing indoctrination attempts.

Nice, thanks!

Added to 'Mentions of nightmares...' section.

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:18 am

BleedingUranium wrote:I did the first conversation with James on the Citadel again yesterday, the one that seems to exist for nothing but foreshadowing. Normally I pick the paragon response, which is:

James: "They'd rather believe in this than face the truth."

Shepard: "I can hardly believe it myself, like everything back on Earth was some kind of nightmare."

That's great, but the renegade one is even better:

Shepard: "They're in for a rude awakening."

ADDED! cheers

DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Humakt on Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Joker: "That doesn't change anything. It's still watching. Like some creepy kid staring at the back of your head in comp sci. You just want to... punch him... but he's 'special' and sets fires or something."

So the end of Mass Effect 3 foreshadowed at the start of ME 2. Brilliant!

Nightmare

http://www.celestialheavens.com/thundermaps/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top