Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theorists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oculus Rift

+3
WeAreHarbinger
RavenEyry
CoolioThane
7 posters

Go down

Oculus Rift Empty Oculus Rift

Post by CoolioThane Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:37 am

Officially DEAD

Facebook buying them out is a kiss of death. Goodbye Oculus.
CoolioThane
CoolioThane
Space Cow

http://www.achievementhunter.com

Back to top Go down

Oculus Rift Empty Re: Oculus Rift

Post by Guest Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:48 am

Facebook's just investing in the future like Google is..

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:42 am

Facebook should stick to what it's good at: being facebook. Same as google should just stay a search engine.
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by WeAreHarbinger Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:42 pm

I think Facebook (and Google) are just trying to consume the internet. At some point it'll only be them left...then they battle!
WeAreHarbinger
WeAreHarbinger
Blood Pack Boom-Squad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:44 pm

Could be worse, I guess.  It could be Microsoft.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:59 pm

Quantum computing, virtual reality, data tattoos/implants, etc.

It's happening folks.

In probably relatively primitive (compared to future decades), gradual, and difficult ways - and not without problems, but still.

It's at least more in the single digits of years from now to see any wider use, instead of the longer decades.
All this stuff has been considered as ideas since at least the 1980s, but we didn't have the technological and commercial basis to really push forward with it (only Virtual Boy, parallel computing, personal computers).

I think these large companies want to own the future before it gets here. My issue will be with who 'owns' them. I can really see western government agencies in particular being big on this, using future headsets with social networking to more easily snoop on living patterns and personal information, and future computing to be their (at least at first) advantage in hacking/encryption. Anyway...

In the gaming area, it'll likely mean more emphasis on exploring larger areas, with greater immersion, and much, much better AI for environments and NPCs. Stuff like 'Milo' turning from a faked tech demo (dammit Peter Molyneux), into more of a legit gaming tech and onward. While graphics are starting to hit their ceiling - not there yet, but now more rapidly approaching true 'lifelike' - that may encourage improvements on more believable environments, game mechanics, and scale.

I don't think much of it..at all... for this decade, but almost certainly for the 2020s, and absolutely for the 2030s.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:04 pm

Regarding the Rift specifically, I may agree with you CT.

They could very well just turn the thing into a 'social integration' machine.

Or just sit on it and ruin its potential.

OR they could try to take over the brand while its new, and get into gaming themselves, full speed.

I dunno. I'm torn between agreeing with the doomsayers about this (who have VERY good reasons), and wondering if this could be hugely successful :S

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwailing Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:59 pm

You know, I don't care at this point in time.  If they put the money to good use, and if Facebook doesn't frak them up, I see no problem with this.  The Oculus Rift has way more potential beyond just games.  If Facebook helps them realize that potential, great.  That said, there's definitely potential for this to royally suck.  Ultimately, we'll just have to wait and see.
Dwailing
Dwailing
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Norlond Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:06 pm

Nice find by otter :P

Oculus Rift QtHNZ35
Norlond
Norlond
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/user/Skyzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:34 pm

I fail to see the real problem. Despite the grotesque and hilarious post above this one, the idea that FB would introduce some kind of mandatory integration or somehow limit the functionality of the VR hardware is entirely counterintuitive. FB wants to make money. They see Oculus as heading in a direction to success, and they want in on it. There is little upside to them interjecting themselves on an operational level.

It would be more concerning if Oculus had been on the rocks and was bailed out by FB. Then you would likely see FB taking the helm in some real way. As it is, they just want to see the tech succeed and ride the tidal wave of profits.

Once the hardware goes mainstream, THEN you will see FB's end game plan revealed in a firmware patch and a new mandatory tracheotomy kit.
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down