Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theorists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mass Effect Pre Release Developer Quotes

+5
Raistlin Majere
dorktainian
ericformans_sisterisdead
DoomsdayDevice
Ithurael
9 posters

Go down

Mass Effect Pre Release Developer Quotes Empty Mass Effect Pre Release Developer Quotes

Post by Ithurael Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:41 pm

Howdy Guys

This is my first post here so give me some leeway. I just dug through BSN and found the list of most of the pre release developer quotes. As it turns out, CP or Bioware mods locked and deleted the last thread so I figure I would store all of that joyous info here!!!

Below are statements from various sources about Mass Effect 3 in particular the ending, which are simply not true as it stands at the moment. Do I want to be proved wrong? Hell yes! But, these comments should be kept clear:

Official Mass Effect Website
http://masseffect.com/about/story/

“Experience the beginning, middle, and end of an emotional story unlike anyother, where the decisions you make completely shape your experience and outcome.”

Interview with Mac Walters (Lead Writer)
http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/02/28/mass-effect-3-mac-walters/

“[The presence of the Rachni] has huge consequences in Mass Effect 3. Even just in the final battle with the Reapers.”

Interview with Mac Walters (Lead Writer)
http://business.financialpost.com/2012/03/05/qa-mass-effect-3s-mac-walters-on-how-the-game-tries-to-reach-all-audiences/

“I’m always leery of saying there are 'optimal' endings, because I think one of the things we do try to do is make different endings that are optimal for different people “

Interview with Mike Gamble (Associate Producer)
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/334598/interviews/mass-effect-3-weve-brought-back-a-lot-of-what-was-missing-in-me2/

“And, to be honest, you [the fans] are crafting your Mass Effect story as much as we are anyway.”

http://www.360magazine.co.uk/interview/mass-effect-3-has-many-different-endings/

“There are many different endings. We wouldn’t do it any other way. How could you go through all three campaigns playing as your Shepard and then be forced into a bespoke ending that everyone gets? But I can’t say any more than that…”

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-02-bioware-mass-effect-3-ending-will-make-some-people-angry

“Every decision you've made will impact how things go. The player's also the architect of what happens."

“You'll get answers to everything. That was one of the key things. Regardless of how we did everything, we had to say, yes, we're going to providesome answers to these people.”

“Because a lot of these plot threads are concluding and because it's being brought to a finale, since you were a part of architecting how they got to how they were, you will definitely sense how they close was because of the decisions you made and because of the decisions you didn't make”

Interview with Casey Hudson (Director)
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/04/28/casey-hudson-interview-mass-effect-3.aspx

“For people who are invested in these characters and the back-story of the universe and everything, all of these things come to a resolution in Mass Effect 3. And they are resolved in a way that's very different based on what you would do in those situations.”

http://venturebeat.com/2012/03/02/casey-hudson-bioware-co-created-mass-effect-3-with-the-sometimes-cranky-fans-interview/

“Fans want to make sure that they see things resolved, they want to get some closure, a great ending. I think they’re going to get that.”

“Mass Effect 3 is all about answering all the biggest questions in the lore, learning about the mysteries and the Protheans and the Reapers,being able to decide for yourself how all of these things come to an end.”

Interviewer: “So are you guys the creators or the stewards of the franchise?”

Hudson: “Um… You know, at this point, I think we’re co-creators with the fans. We use a lot of feedback.”

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/10/mass1525-effect-3-cas5ey-fdsafdhudson-interviewae.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

Interviewer: [Regarding the numerous possible endings of Mass Effect 2] “Is that same type of complexity built into the ending of Mass Effect 3?”

Hudson:“Yeah, and I’d say much more so, because we have the ability to build the endings out in a way that we don’t have to worry about eventually tying them back together somewhere. This story arc is coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot more different. At this point we’re taking into account so many decisions that you’ve made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It’s not even in any way like the traditional game endings,where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C.....The endings have a lot more sophistication and variety in them.”

“We have a rule in our franchise that there is no canon. You as a player decide what your story is.”

-----------
These may be a downer yes. But it is important to remember how far Bioware fell...I got suckered in just like everyone else and I believed everything they said. Much to my surprise, I was horribly wrong. I want to leave this here so that, at least, somewhere we have the proof of what they did.

Or you can just delete it....that would make me a sad volus

Ithurael
Pyjak

Back to top Go down

Mass Effect Pre Release Developer Quotes Empty Re: Mass Effect Pre Release Developer Quotes

Post by DoomsdayDevice Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:18 am

Hey Ithurael, nice to see you here. =)

I think this thread is useful and in a good place here.

Fortunately I decided to stay completely spoiler-free during the entire development cycle of ME3, so I hadn't seen any of this. I didn't see a single trailer, didn't read a single interview, article or review. All I had seen was just one screenshot of Reapers all over some city that looked like Earth.

So yeah, I really had no expectations. I had been hoping for a very grim-dark, all-out war story. I hoped to see Earth as an almost Fallout-like apocalyptic wasteland and fight in the trenches.

In a way, it's what we got, though not as apocalyptic looking as I'd hoped, but the feel, the dark and foreboding tone of the game was still very much what I'd hoped for. I was only slightly let down by the lack of ME2 crew on the team, and the ending was just... it blew my mind. But that was pre-EC, when it really felt a lot more like an indoctrination attempt, with the starchild asking if you thought you could control the Reapers, instead of outright telling you that you can. The whole vanilla RGB ending was just such an obvious hint for me that it was all some kind of Reaper simulation.

Anyway...

I was amazed to read these things after having finished the game. I guess one or two of them have some wiggle room in terms of interpretation, but most of it is a blatant lie, no doubt.
DoomsdayDevice
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Mass Effect Pre Release Developer Quotes Empty Re: Mass Effect Pre Release Developer Quotes

Post by ericformans_sisterisdead Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:37 am

Looking at all those quotes make me

Mass Effect Pre Release Developer Quotes 701
ericformans_sisterisdead
ericformans_sisterisdead
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:42 am

Yeah.. New Thread got locked on BSN.  

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10092079/1

remember this as you look forward to DA3.
dorktainian
dorktainian
Sovereign

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:31 am

The Rachni one will always be my favorite, just purely on how wrong it was.
Raistlin Majere
Raistlin Majere
N7

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:19 pm

My favourite is the "no ABC ending".  Laughing 
DoomsdayDevice
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:25 pm

Also

"I found the list of pre-release quotes..."

Mass Effect Pre Release Developer Quotes Maxresdefault
DoomsdayDevice
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Maximus Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:16 pm

“We have a rule in our franchise that there is no canon. You as a player decide what your story is.”

HA-HA! HA-HA! HO-HO! HUE-HUE!
All these quotes are so frakkin funny and tragic at the same time!
I don't know if I should lay down and cry or laugh my ass off 'till I die!

"There is no canon?" you say? :)
Oh Im afraid, there is one can(n)on...mine!
Mass Effect Pre Release Developer Quotes Fatboy-Fallout-3
This is my "FUCK YOU", for ya Hudson and Co.
Maximus
Maximus
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:41 pm

Raistlin Majere wrote:The Rachni one will always be my favorite, just purely on how wrong it was.

They can parse words and play BS games with some of the other quotes, but this one is undeniably false. Also, it's extremely disappointing.
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:00 pm

Well he was kind of right.  We didn't get A, B, C.  We got A, A, A.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:05 pm

BlueLogic wrote:
Raistlin Majere wrote:The Rachni one will always be my favorite, just purely on how wrong it was.

They can parse words and play BS games with some of the other quotes, but this one is undeniably false.  Also, it's extremely disappointing.

It can still come to fruition in accordance with the general IT as I have theorized a scenario where the Rachni Queen could save or at least stall the Indoctrination of a Shepard who makes the wrong choice. That would be a major role in the final battle.

But I wont get any hopes up anymore, even if the above quotes are damning in comparison to what we got.
Raistlin Majere
Raistlin Majere
N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:22 pm

Whatever happens next, Casey is always going to be wrong when it comes to the base product they sold.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:40 pm

Raistlin Majere wrote:
BlueLogic wrote:

They can parse words and play BS games with some of the other quotes, but this one is undeniably false.  Also, it's extremely disappointing.

It can still come to fruition in accordance with the general IT as I have theorized a scenario where the Rachni Queen could save or at least stall the Indoctrination of a Shepard who makes the wrong choice. That would be a major role in the final battle.

But I wont get any hopes up anymore, even if the above quotes are damning in comparison to what we got.

Doesn't matter what happens down the road.  That statement was made about ME3.  It's nothing but a lie, pure and simple.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:30 pm

Rifneno wrote:
Raistlin Majere wrote:
BlueLogic wrote:

Doesn't matter what happens down the road.  That statement was made about ME3.  It's nothing but a lie, pure and simple.

My original ideas was also based on the hope of a DLC follow up...which obviously never came.
Raistlin Majere
Raistlin Majere
N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Ithurael Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:28 pm

dorktainian wrote:Yeah.. New Thread got locked on BSN.  

I have no plans on buying DA:I nor do I intend on buying the next Mass Effect. I don't really even care if it is an IT reveal. Bioware kinda messed up with ME3 so badly that I lost all interest in them. Which is why I didn't buy any DLC beyond Leviathan (which causes the ending to kinda glitch out and was never fixed-thanks bioware as if the ending wasn't bad enough)

Truth be told I fell for the pre release statements and that fault is on me...I should have been more objective. But when I saw the final product - even on my first playthrough - something felt off. The constant pew pew, the opening, the autodialog, and finally the ending... I am not sure. It all felt...wrong. Off in some sort of way. Like it was a different studio making the game. The first time I beat the game I just sat there holding my controller confused, angry, and dumbfounded that THAT was how they decided to end the trilogy. No war assets, no choices mattering, nothing beyond a bit of pew pew and then the retcon-ex machina that is the Starbrat.

And then...Biowares response towards fans gave me a bad taste (granted the fans response was worse by far) but still...it could have been handled a million times better. They could have involved fans in the conversation rather than having a mega thread and offering no feedback or anything. But I digress...

So no, I am not going to buy anymore Bioware products for the foreseeable future (that may even extend to EA as Titianfall was looking good till I saw the details on it - ugh)

Next time I will be more objective!

Ithurael
Pyjak

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:27 am

Ithurael wrote:
dorktainian wrote:Yeah.. New Thread got locked on BSN.  

I have no plans on buying DA:I nor do I intend on buying the next Mass Effect. I don't really even care if it is an IT reveal. Bioware kinda messed up with ME3 so badly that I lost all interest in them. Which is why I didn't buy any DLC beyond Leviathan (which causes the ending to kinda glitch out and was never fixed-thanks bioware as if the ending wasn't bad enough)

Truth be told I fell for the pre release statements and that fault is on me...I should have been more objective. But when I saw the final product - even on my first playthrough - something felt off. The constant pew pew, the opening, the autodialog, and finally the ending... I am not sure. It all felt...wrong. Off in some sort of way. Like it was a different studio making the game. The first time I beat the game I just sat there holding my controller confused, angry, and dumbfounded that THAT was how they decided to end the trilogy. No war assets, no choices mattering, nothing beyond a bit of pew pew and then the retcon-ex machina that is the Starbrat.

And then...Biowares response towards fans gave me a bad taste (granted the fans response was worse by far) but still...it could have been handled a million times better. They could have involved fans in the conversation rather than having a mega thread and offering no feedback or anything. But I digress...

So no, I am not going to buy anymore Bioware products for the foreseeable future (that may even extend to EA as Titianfall was looking good till I saw the details on it - ugh)

Next time I will be more objective!
Leviathan never glitched th endings for me. What system is your game on?

Also having played the Titanfall Beta, I can tell you it is as fun as it looks.
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ithurael Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:25 am

Selim Bradley wrote:

I use XBOX for my Mass Effect Experience

As for Titianfall...yes the gameplay and the mechanics look really good. However to state the negatives:

- EA as a publisher
- No SP Campaign (SP elements will be injected into mp but that is it)
- 6 v 6 Multiplayer
- Multiplayer Only as of Now
- $60 Price Tag
- 3 Mechs and 3 Classes (Though this can change but as of yet I still list it as a negative)

Positives:
- Parkor FPS with JetPacks
- Titans (nuff said)
- Amazing looking mechanics in Multiplayer (the pew pew aspect)
- Different multiplayer modes

That is all I can say for the positives for this game. To me, I don't yet think it justifies a $60 dollar price. Even Angry Joe was skeptical of that price tag. For me, in the post ME3 world, I will not preorder it - to say the least - but I will keep it in mind as a solid maybe but probably not.  

Ithurael
Pyjak

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:51 am

Ithurael wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:

I use XBOX for my Mass Effect Experience

As for Titianfall...yes the gameplay and the mechanics look really good. However to state the negatives:

- EA as a publisher
- No SP Campaign (SP elements will be injected into mp but that is it)
- 6 v 6 Multiplayer
- Multiplayer Only as of Now
- $60 Price Tag
- 3 Mechs and 3 Classes (Though this can change but as of yet I still list it as a negative)

Positives:
- Parkor FPS with JetPacks
- Titans (nuff said)
- Amazing looking mechanics in Multiplayer (the pew pew aspect)
- Different multiplayer modes

That is all I can say for the positives for this game. To me, I don't yet think it justifies a $60 dollar price. Even Angry Joe was skeptical of that price tag. For me, in the post ME3 world, I will not preorder it - to say the least - but I will keep it in mind as a solid maybe but probably not.  
I am Xbox as well. Hmm, perhaps either it was a personal issue with your console or my console was able to eliminate the bug. Oh well.

As for Titanfall Pros and Cons, yeah I agree lack of SP is a sad note for me, but I was only ever going to use it for MP mostly. The 6 v 6 only thing I should mention is just players. There are about at least a dozen or so NPCs per side each game at any given time. That plus the Titans being able to be put on autopilot makes the teams seem really large.
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:34 am

Leviathan glitching the endings? That's weird, never knew that.

You know what's weird too? I have the extended cut, but even though "it works", I never see those previews of the destroy and control endings that you're supposed to see when Starbinger explains the choices. I found out about them on youtube, but I never get them myself. I only get the Anderson and TIM moments.

Also, even though I saved Jack and biotic students, and even though Miranda is alive in my playthrough, I never get the ending slides for those two.
DoomsdayDevice
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Ithurael Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:41 am

DoomsdayDevice wrote:Leviathan glitching the endings? That's weird, never knew that.

You know what's weird too? I have the extended cut, but even though "it works", I never see those previews of the destroy and control endings that you're supposed to see when Starbinger explains the choices. I found out about them on youtube, but I never get them myself. I only get the Anderson and TIM moments.

Also, even though I saved Jack and biotic students, and even though Miranda is alive in my playthrough, I never get the ending slides for those two.

That IS the glitch. You don't get the preview of Destroy, Control or Synth. And then Sheps head moves in all crazy directions lol. Bioware never patched it because...reasons I suppose. There was a thread or two on it on BSN i remember. Frankly I was done with the EC the minute the Normandy Evac was shown. I honestly could not stop laughing and swearing that I almost turned off my console.

Ithurael
Pyjak

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:52 am

Ithurael wrote:
DoomsdayDevice wrote:Leviathan glitching the endings? That's weird, never knew that.

That IS the glitch. You don't get the preview of Destroy, Control or Synth. And then Sheps head moves in all crazy directions lol. Bioware never patched it because...reasons I suppose. There was a thread or two on it on BSN i remember. Frankly I was done with the EC the minute the Normandy Evac was shown. I honestly could not stop laughing and swearing that I almost turned off my console.

Same, though it was more out of disappointment that I turned off my game. So much potential and yet Bioware found a way to make the ending even more stupid instead.
Raistlin Majere
Raistlin Majere
N7

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:58 pm

Ithurael wrote:

That IS the glitch. You don't get the preview of Destroy, Control or Synth. And then Sheps head moves in all crazy directions lol. Bioware never patched it because...reasons I suppose. There was a thread or two on it on BSN i remember.

Heh. Thing is, I can't remember seeing those previews in the EC before Leviathan came out. Maybe my memory's just foggy, or maybe the glitch is in the EC itself.
DoomsdayDevice
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Ithurael Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:16 am

In light of Casey leaving Bioware I have yet Moar Quotes to remind us of what all went wrong (or right). What Swoby said above is blatantly true. Casey and Bioware will ALWAYS be wrong about the base product of ME3 that was sold to us
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/297867-commentary-for-bioware-on-false-advertising/

[ad-ver-tahy-zing] noun
the act or practice of calling public attention to one's product, service, need, etc., especially by paid announcements in newspapers and magazines, over radio or television, on billboards, etc.: to get more customers by advertising.

Interview with Casey Hudson (Director) 4/28/11
http://www.gameinfor...s-effect-3.aspx

“For people who are invested in these characters and the back-story of the universe and everything, all of these things come to a resolution in Mass Effect 3. And they are resolved in a way that's very different based on what you would do in those situations.”

“There is a huge set of consequences that start stacking up as you approach the end-game. And even in terms of the ending itself, it continues to break down to some very large decisions. So it's not like a classic game ending where everything is linear and you make a choice between a few things - it really does layer in many, many different choices, up to the final moments, where it's going to be different for everyone who plays it.”[/quote]
Interview with Mike Gamble (Associate Producer) 2/23/12
http://www.360magazi...ferent-endings/

When asked about the science of the game being plausible

"From very early on we wanted the science of the universe to be plausible. Obviously it's set in the future so you have to make some leaps of faith but we didn't want it to be just magic in space."
[quote]Casey Hudson (Director) 3/8/12
http://gamescatalyst...active-stories/

Bioware really needs to have that chat with the fans about the ending and many of these quotes...but we all know that will never happen...ever.

Ithurael
Pyjak

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down