Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theorists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reverse engineering?

2 posters

Go down

Reverse engineering? Empty Reverse engineering?

Post by Terramine Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:30 pm

OK so this has been discussed multiple times for different reasons, like using Reaper-based tech in destroy, or how Legion modified the Reaper code and used it. The reason I've made this topic is because I think there is a theme in this series that actually speaks heavily AGAINST reverse engineering. What am I talking about? Well as pointed out by Mordin, let's talk to the Krogan about dem nukes, or TIM about Control. Even right before meeting Shitalyst, Paragon Shepard(dunno bout Renegade) makes a really good rebuttal to Control IMO. There is no way we have earned a trillion fold advancements, there is no way we are ready for that.

Nor do I think the line is drawn at tech we don't understand. The Krogan very clearly knew how to use nukes, there was nothing about it they didn't understand, and yet because they were uplifted it impacted them negatively big time... just ask their home planet.

In fact I think this theme rings true for ANY amount of CHEATING the terms of advancement. Look at the Asari, they are always a step ahead in terms of advancement compared to the other species and low and behold when Reapers attack they seem to be holding themselves together pretty horribly as a species. Sure nobody could prepare for the Reapers really, but they seem to be getting hit harder than they should for all their "advancements". They've relied on it and it seems to have impacted them in a somewhat noticeable way.

There is many other examples actually, and heck in real life Humans rely on a good portion of reverse engineering. It's only become a way to circumvent a huge lack of earned progress, and it is actually why we may nuke ourselves ironically. Also I think it's relevant to point out that consequence, cost, whatever you want to call it... is an inevitable requirement in this universe. Every action has an equal or opposite reaction, trying to circumvent this may require larger consequences than the ones you could've dealt with in the first place.

Earning our future means to figure it out all on our own, in a world where the Galaxy works together you don't need Thanix canons or Reaper-based code to get individual AI in individual Geth Platforms. Our own future is the beyond preferred future.
Terramine
Terramine
Destroyer

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Reverse engineering? Empty Re: Reverse engineering?

Post by BleedingUranium Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:18 am

I see what you're saying, but the ME examples of reverse engineering Reaper tech always end up being a huge and unexpected blow to the Reapers.

-Prothean relay on Ilos was the reason we could destroy Sovereign and save the cycle.

-Thanix cannons are ridiculously more effective that standard cannons. Collector Black Arks may not be Reapers, but the Normandy's TC completely destroyed one with two shots!

-Legion's code allows for peace between the Geth and Quarians, something even the Reapers didn't consider possible.

Thinking along those lines, since the Crucible is most certainly a Reaper trap/device, using it against them (whatever it does) will win us the war, I bet.
BleedingUranium
BleedingUranium
Thresher Maw

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:37 pm

BleedingUranium wrote:I see what you're saying, but the ME examples of reverse engineering Reaper tech always end up being a huge and unexpected blow to the Reapers.

-Prothean relay on Ilos was the reason we could destroy Sovereign and save the cycle.

-Thanix cannons are ridiculously more effective that standard cannons. Collector Black Arks may not be Reapers, but the Normandy's TC completely destroyed one with two shots!

-Legion's code allows for peace between the Geth and Quarians, something even the Reapers didn't consider possible.

Thinking along those lines, since the Crucible is most certainly a Reaper trap/device, using it against them (whatever it does) will win us the war, I bet.
Well first off all Reverse-Engineering does not necessarily equal Sabotage. I agree sabotaging the Citadel seems like a highly likely solution. Also the Reapers are something nobody could prepare for, so I could it being seen as necessary. But see you must actually have a necessity for doing it because it will still have a down-side, the necessity of it at least outweighs the bad.

But what I am saying is when this is over we need to stop it for the sake of the long run. When the immediate threat of the Reapers is taken care of, we should no longer do it AT ALL.

Also we haven't even gotten anywhere during ME1 and ME2, this is an interesting fact. Delaying the cycle? Mosquito bite... Destroying the Collector base? Mosquito bite. So what was the real necessity of delaying the Reapers? Nevermind that Shepard could have bluffed about the Geth regaining strength and peace would be achieved long enough for the Geth to be like "Hey Quarians want to come back to Rannoch and live with us?" proving to the Quarians that the Geth are innocent.

I know these things are forced, but that's because of that famous saying "shit happens". Shit happens that you can't really help and we get over it. My point is merely that the only instance I can think of is out of absolute necessity. Sabotaging the citadel or an equivalent is necessary, afterwards nothing necessitates it so we should instead work together as a Galaxy to evolve on our own.
Terramine
Terramine
Destroyer

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum