Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theorists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eve's crystal

+6
RavenEyry
DSharrah
Andromidius
symbowles
ElSuperGecko
Rifneno
10 posters

Go down

Eve's crystal Empty Eve's crystal

Post by Rifneno Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:58 pm

A thought occurred to me today. What if we're looking at this wrong? We think this thing might help break free of the Reapers' control. What if it's just the opposite?

1. For some reason, they don't let us see what it looks like. Even though it's in our character's hands we can't see it. Why? Maybe because it's a Reaper artifact or Leviathan thralling device.

2. First, let's remember where she found it. She was in a cave. A deep one by the sounds of it. How many Reaper or Leviathan artifacts are found buried by miners and the like? Most of them.

3. "You're locked in a cave for seven days with just enough food to last. On the eighth, you'll starve." She started digging the wrong way. By all rights, she should have starved before making it out. How did she survive? Well let's remember the data logs from that derelict ship in Leviathan. Here's a sniplet from one of the men indoctrinated by the orbs: "It's so good not being hungry anymore." That's right, the orbs were sustaining them somehow. Not indefinitely obviously, since they're long dead. But it clearly helped them with the famine.

As a Reaper/Leviathan device, Eve's crystal makes perfect sense. As a truly helpful and positive thing, it makes little.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Eve's crystal Empty Re: Eve's crystal

Post by ElSuperGecko Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:04 pm

It has to be said I completely forgot about Eve's crystal. Completely. Thanks for bringing it up, I'll have to take a look at the sequence again.

With regards to the "it's so good not being hungry any more" quote, I always took that to mean that the crew had started to succumb to cannibalisation... I could be wrong though!
ElSuperGecko
ElSuperGecko
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by symbowles Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:13 pm

I too thought it was weird that we didn't see the crystal...but often times when something is given to Shepard we don't actually see the thing given to him (The trinket the asari consort gives you in me1 comes to mind). So this may just be a game mechanic.

Also, the knowledge of the crystal is completely optional to the player...you don't have to converse with Eve on the Normandy. So I'd assume the crystal would be negligible to the story.
symbowles
symbowles
Geth Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Andromidius Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:47 pm

I suppose its possible. But I'm not so sure its likely.

Its such a small scene that it feels like more of a little something-something for people who talk to Eve for more then the minimum required amount.

Would be pretty cool if it did turn into something more important though.
Andromidius
Andromidius
Admin

https://indoctrinationtheory.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:54 pm

ElSuperGecko wrote:It has to be said I completely forgot about Eve's crystal. Completely. Thanks for bringing it up, I'll have to take a look at the sequence again.

With regards to the "it's so good not being hungry any more" quote, I always took that to mean that the crew had started to succumb to cannibalisation... I could be wrong though!

Yeah, I thought it was cannibalism at first too the way they said "we each took a limb" in regards to the captain. They were just talking about holding him down on an orb to brainwash him though.

symbowles wrote:I too thought it was weird that we didn't see the crystal...but often times when something is given to Shepard we don't actually see the thing given to him (The trinket the asari consort gives you in me1 comes to mind). So this may just be a game mechanic.

Also, the knowledge of the crystal is completely optional to the player...you don't have to converse with Eve on the Normandy. So I'd assume the crystal would be negligible to the story.

Sure, it's optional. But so is that "abandoned mine" mission in ME2 with the artifact that apparently keeps calling Shepard back to it. It's not a game-changer, just a little piece of the puzzle.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by symbowles Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:08 pm

Rifneno wrote:
symbowles wrote:I too thought it was weird that we didn't see the crystal...but often times when something is given to Shepard we don't actually see the thing given to him (The trinket the asari consort gives you in me1 comes to mind). So this may just be a game mechanic.

Sure, it's optional. But so is that "abandoned mine" mission in ME2 with the artifact that apparently keeps calling Shepard back to it. It's not a game-changer, just a little piece of the puzzle.

Ah, I see where you're coming from.

If it is indeed a reaper/leviathan artifact, wouldn't Eve have been affected in some way? I mean she's most likely had the thing for decades.
symbowles
symbowles
Geth Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by DSharrah Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:20 pm

I always took it as a nod to LOTR and the vial w/the Light of Earandil's Star (thought I might as well get this right)...would be cool if something more came of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just an easter egg.

Last edited by DSharrah on Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : accuracy)
DSharrah
DSharrah
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:09 pm

DSharrah wrote:I always took it as a nod to LOTR and the vial w/the Light of Elendil...would be cool if something more came of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just an easter egg.
I'd rather she gave us elven cloaks, then we could join Anderson in sneaking past Harby unharmed.
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by southbeatz Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:32 pm

It's unfortunate but I think there's a lot of things in this series that Bioware added and likely will never directly address.
southbeatz
southbeatz
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:40 pm

DSharrah wrote:I always took it as a nod to LOTR and the vial w/the Light of Elendil...would be cool if something more came of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just an easter egg.

Oh wow, how have I never seen anyone make that connection? I bet you're right, it's just a reference to LOTR. I wanna smack myself for not picking up on that.

But I still say that if it were a real plot device (it's very often brought up as one of the things that'll help break indoctrination, along with the rachni queen), it'd be as a negative one.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by DSharrah Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:41 pm

RavenEyry wrote:
I'd rather she gave us elven cloaks, then we could join Anderson in sneaking past Harby unharmed.

Or at least a dagger...all I got is this stupid rope.
DSharrah
DSharrah
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by DSharrah Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:47 pm

Rifneno wrote:

Oh wow, how have I never seen anyone make that connection? I bet you're right, it's just a reference to LOTR. I wanna smack myself for not picking up on that.

But I still say that if it were a real plot device (it's very often brought up as one of the things that'll help break indoctrination, along with the rachni queen), it'd be as a negative one.

The whole its a "...light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out." thing, could definetly come up with regards to indoctrination - so don't discount it yet.
DSharrah
DSharrah
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by DSharrah Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:49 pm

southbeatz wrote:It's unfortunate but I think there's a lot of things in this series that Bioware added and likely will never directly address.

I don't know...alot of people thought that with the Leviathan of Dis too...
DSharrah
DSharrah
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:52 pm

DSharrah wrote:
southbeatz wrote:It's unfortunate but I think there's a lot of things in this series that Bioware added and likely will never directly address.

On the note of minor dropped things, what if after beating indoc, Shepard has to find the beings of light for help.

...yeah, still a deus ex machina, but how else could the reapers be beaten?
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by DSharrah Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:59 pm

RavenEyry wrote:
DSharrah wrote:

On the note of minor dropped things, what if after beating indoc, Shepard has to find the beings of light for help.

...yeah, still a deus ex machina, but how else could the reapers be beaten?

Or the gun that disabled the Reaper that you visit in ME 2, that Cerberus got the greedy paws onto...
DSharrah
DSharrah
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by southbeatz Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:46 pm

I doubt Bioware would do this but I still don't like how it seemingly took Reapers a long time to finish off Species during each cycle but yet the current cycle can be ending so fast in mere months, not even years. I don't count the cycle as actually starting until the Reapers actually come out in full force though. Bioware has added lots of things to this series though that they could use if ever they want to. I find it so odd how those Synthesis lovers seemed to have missed all of the clues and evidence regarding indoctrination and more.
southbeatz
southbeatz
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:11 am

Rifneno wrote:

That connection has been made many times.

I honestly somewhat expect the crystal to play a role in getting Shep out of the rubble. Just like I somewhat expect the Rachni queen to cleanse the darkness from Shep's mind. Or something. Then again, maybe not.
DoomsdayDevice
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Hrothdane Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:15 am

DoomsdayDevice wrote:
Rifneno wrote:

That connection has been made many times.

I honestly somewhat expect the crystal to play a role in getting Shep out of the rubble. Just like I somewhat expect the Rachni queen to cleanse the darkness from Shep's mind. Or something. Then again, maybe not.

I'm expecting something similar because of that one developer comment about the really complicated piece of logic they had to write.
Hrothdane
Hrothdane
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by southbeatz Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:17 am

If Bioware goes with something that gets Shepard out of the rubble then they have some options. Eve's crystal being one. They could also make use of the "our choices matter" and make it where we had to let the Rachni Queen in ME1 live and in ME3 and then the queen could help free Shepard from indoctrination. They could also tie in Leviathan somehow, plus that would potentially get people to buy that DLC if they had not already.
southbeatz
southbeatz
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by BleedingUranium Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:57 am

DSharrah wrote:I always took it as a nod to LOTR and the vial w/the Light of Earandil's Star (thought I might as well get this right)...would be cool if something more came of it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just an easter egg.

That's exactly what I think it is.
BleedingUranium
BleedingUranium
Thresher Maw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:35 am

This is as far fetched as Hackett being indoctrinated. Sorry, had to say it.

Anyway:
-Agreed with above that it more likely has more to do with the crew eating each other
-OH, but I do hope that the crystal will be used or mentioned later on. I do want it to matter!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum