Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theorists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Catalyst as a "Dumb AI"

+10
Restrider
Gummy
ZerebusPrime
Raistlin Majere
Hanako Ikezawa
Humakt
umadcommander
DoomsdayDevice
Lombus
Steelcan
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Catalyst as a "Dumb AI" Empty Catalyst as a "Dumb AI"

Post by Steelcan Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:42 pm

Here's the OP from BSN. And here's the link http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/16519456

After having pondered the endings for much more time than I care to admit, I've reached a conclusion. Based on what the Catalyst says, what he doesn't say, and how he acts I've reached the conclusion that the Catalyst is very similar to a "Dumb" AI from Halo's lore.

First things first, "dumb" is not any sort of commentary on the Catalyst's intelligence. It simply a moniker attached to AI's in Halo lore that cannot outgrow their original programming as opposed to those who can, "Smart" AI's.

What proof do I have for this? One of the most contested points about the Catalyst is why he doesn't acknlowlwedge the end results of Rannoch's story arc. If peace is attained or the quarians win, the Catalyst's assertions become laughable. Why doesn't he acknowledge this? If he is a "Dumb" AI equivalent than it is because he can't. He can't change himself despite evidence that he is wrong. This also ties into the "Crucible changed me, created...new possibilities". The Crucible is able to alter his core programming to enable the different solutions, but it does not change him enough for him to realize the error in his reasoning. Furthermore his belief that the Reapers cannot be beaten conventionally is further proof of this. While it may be impossible for our current cycle to win conventionally each cycle climbs further than the last. Each one improves and is a larger threat than the one before it. It stands to reason that if this trend continues evantually the races if the galaxy will be able to achieve conventional victory. The Catalyst however seems to be stuck in his own loop, "organics rise, create synthetics, conflict emerges, we interrupt before organics destroy synthe- I mean before organics lose". He cannot seem to comprehend that his logic that may have been applicable in the past, is no longer relevant.

TL:DR. The Catalyst is the equivalent of a "dumb" AI because he cannot escape his own progr.amming despite evidence that his assertions are wrong.

thoughts?
Steelcan
Steelcan
Scion

Back to top Go down

Catalyst as a "Dumb AI" Empty Re: Catalyst as a "Dumb AI"

Post by Lombus Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:46 pm

I understand the concept and it makes a lot a sense. I'm kinda wondering something though: when he said Shepard would die if choose destroy was he knowingly lying or did he really thought that was the truth because of his faulty programming?
Lombus
Lombus
Adjutant

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:49 pm

It's interesting, although we're not familiar with that kind of AI in the ME universe. Well there's VIs, of course. But I don't think we've seen 'limited AI' so to speak.
DoomsdayDevice
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by umadcommander Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:49 pm

could be something similar i suppose, although wouldnt that just make him a VI? one of the defining characteristics of AI's in mass effect is that they can change their views on something, its part of why they are so feared
umadcommander
umadcommander
Rachni Brood Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Humakt Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:50 pm

"Child" is here to manipulate and confound player. Avert the player from his/her goal. Indoctrinate Shepard as you will. Thing's form alone is enough to show that it is manipulating player.

"Child" is also capable of lying. I don't think that counts as a dumb AI.

Just look at my avatar and claim that "Child" is not malicious at all.

Last edited by Humakt83 on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Humakt
Humakt
Nightmare

http://www.celestialheavens.com/thundermaps/

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:51 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:It's interesting, although we're not familiar with that kind of AI in the ME universe. Well there's VIs, of course. But I don't think we've seen 'limited AI' so to speak.
EDI while locked by Cerberus is a good example. She was really intelligent, but couldn't "evolve" past what she was already programmed to do until the locks were removed.
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelcan Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:06 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:It's interesting, although we're not familiar with that kind of AI in the ME universe. Well there's VIs, of course. But I don't think we've seen 'limited AI' so to speak.
. Shackled EDI
Steelcan
Steelcan
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelcan Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:07 pm

Lombus wrote:I understand the concept and it makes a lot a sense. I'm kinda wondering something though: when he said Shepard would die if choose destroy was he knowingly lying or did he really thought that was the truth because of his faulty programming?
. It depends on what he meant by die. If he meant Shelard would be killed by the Destroy process that's probably a lie, but saying that Shepard's descendant will be doomed, that's his faulty wiring so to speak
Steelcan
Steelcan
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:12 pm

Steelcan wrote:
. Shackled EDI

She was limited in what information she could give Shepard and her access to the ships system, but nothing suggest it limited her intelligence or the conclusions she could draw.
Raistlin Majere
Raistlin Majere
N7

Back to top Go down

Post by ZerebusPrime Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:23 pm

So, one way of changing the way someone else thinks is to make your assertion over and over again irregardless of evidence to the contrary. Combined with exhaustion and physical trauma, the subject becomes "reprogrammed" to believe your assertions. That's why the question and answer session went on like it did; the Catalyst is there to make you forget your own beliefs and instead accept his own point of view. It's shocking just how well it works, too.

I don't think that the Reaper Intelligence would be unable to reprogram itself in general since the Reapers as a whole seem eminently adaptable. I would, however, consider the possibility that the Intelligence is unable to reprogram a set of core directives, Robocop style. Yet, I find it more likely that the "Catalyst" presents a logical fallacy to expedite the breakdown in Shepard's own logic.
ZerebusPrime
ZerebusPrime
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Gummy Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:25 pm

Lombus wrote:I understand the concept and it makes a lot a sense. I'm kinda wondering something though: when he said Shepard would die if choose destroy was he knowingly lying or did he really thought that was the truth because of his faulty programming?
Considering it never says so it's never a lie. It only says "even you are partly synthetic", of course it's shoved in there to throw the player off, but it never says that you will surely die.
Gummy
Gummy
Gas Bag

Back to top Go down

Post by Lombus Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Gummy wrote:
Considering it never says so it's never a lie. It only says "even you are partly synthetic", of course it's shoved in there to throw the player off, but it never says that you will surely die.
"The Crucible will not discriminate. All synthetics will be targeted. Even you are partly synthetic." That heavy implies that Shepard will be target as well because of his implants. So he's lying.The question is the reason why.
Lombus
Lombus
Adjutant

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:32 pm

Lombus wrote:
Gummy wrote:
"The Crucible will not discriminate. All synthetics will be targeted. Even you are partly synthetic." That heavy implies that Shepard will be target as well because of his implants. So he's lying.The question is the reason why.
He just says that Shepard will be affected. He never says Shepard will die, like he does in the Control, Synthesis, and Refuse options.
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gummy Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:37 pm

Yes, what Selim said. The Guaridan outright tells you you will die in any other option but in destroy.
Gummy
Gummy
Gas Bag

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelcan Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:37 pm

Selim Bradley wrote:
Lombus wrote:
Gummy wrote:
He just says that Shepard will be affected. He never says Shepard will die, like he does in the Control, Synthesis, and Refuse options.
. This. He also doesn't say the geth will die, he just says all synthetics will be targeted
Steelcan
Steelcan
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gummy Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:39 pm

That one is not entirely true Steelcan, pre EC it does say that the Geth will die, but that line is cut with the EC.
Gummy
Gummy
Gas Bag

Back to top Go down

Post by Lombus Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:43 pm

Selim Bradley wrote:
Lombus wrote:
Gummy wrote:

Gummy wrote:Yes, what Selim said. The Guaridan outright tells you you will die in any other option but in destroy.
He's hinting at it nonetheless...why would he even mention that Shepard had implants if that would make no difference at all? Tongue
Lombus
Lombus
Adjutant

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:45 pm

Lombus wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:
Lombus wrote:
Gummy wrote:

Gummy wrote:Yes, what Selim said. The Guaridan outright tells you you will die in any other option but in destroy.
He's hinting at it nonetheless...why would he even mention that Shepard had implants if that would make no difference at all? Tongue
To confuse Shepard, like we all think he's trying to do.
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gummy Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:00 pm

Yes, confuse, but the point is still: it doesn't lie with what it says. I don't think BW would have just said shep dies in destroy if they wanted it to lie, but they purposely made an exception here.
Gummy
Gummy
Gas Bag

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelcan Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:05 pm

Gummy wrote:That one is not entirely true Steelcan, pre EC it does say that the Geth will die, but that line is cut with the EC.
. What does he say if the geth are dead pre-EC?
Steelcan
Steelcan
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gummy Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:14 pm

It just leaves it out like it is now.
Gummy
Gummy
Gas Bag

Back to top Go down

Post by Lombus Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:23 pm

Selim Bradley wrote:
Lombus wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:
Lombus wrote:
Gummy wrote:

To confuse Shepard, like we all think he's trying to do.

Gummy wrote:Yes, confuse, but the point is still: it doesn't lie with what it says. I don't think BW would have just said shep dies in destroy if they wanted it to lie, but they purposely made an exception here.

Alright you both win this round...2 against 1 isn't even fair Grin . But I get what you say I just assumed something that probably wasn't really there.
Lombus
Lombus
Adjutant

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:24 pm

Raistlin Majere wrote:
Steelcan wrote:
. Shackled EDI

She was limited in what information she could give Shepard and her access to the ships system, but nothing suggest it limited her intelligence or the conclusions she could draw.

This.
DoomsdayDevice
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelcan Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:55 am

DoomsdayDevice wrote:
Raistlin Majere wrote:
Steelcan wrote:
. Shackled EDI

This.
. Those limits were limits on her intelligence as well. It prevented her from being totally free. She couldn't grow her programming because it might have made her loose value for the lives aboard the Normandy. She mentions this after she's freed.
Steelcan
Steelcan
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:05 am

So you're saying that the Ah, yes... catalyst Ah, yes... is a shackled AI? Wondering
DoomsdayDevice
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next