Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theorists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who are your top five video game antagonists?

+8
Dwailing
BRAVO543211
Hrothdane
Norlond
Rifneno
Raistlin Majere
Arian Dynas
solidsnake78
12 posters

Go down

Who are your top five video game antagonists? Empty Who are your top five video game antagonists?

Post by solidsnake78 Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:49 am

Sister thread time!

My top 5 in no real order-
Ocelot (in all incarnations, from MGS)
Lionel Starkweather (I'm a big Manhunt fan, probably the only one lol)
Saren
Andrew Ryan/ Frank Fontaine (Bioshock)
Handsome Jack (Borderlands 2, best part of a mediocre game IMO)

Last edited by solidsnake78 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:52 am; edited 2 times in total
solidsnake78
solidsnake78
Combat Engineer

Back to top Go down

Who are your top five video game antagonists? Empty Re: Who are your top five video game antagonists?

Post by Arian Dynas Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:50 am

Saren Arterius - Mass Effect
Jon(eleth) Irenicus - Baldur's Gate 2
Arl Rendon Howe - Dragon Age: Origins
Eliphas the Inheritor - Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising
Mithras, High Sha'man of the Sha'Ahoul Clans - Siege of Avalon
Ganon, Lord of Darkness - Every fucking Zelda game ever
Arian Dynas
Arian Dynas
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Who are your top five video game antagonists? Empty Re: Who are your top five video game antagonists?

Post by Raistlin Majere Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:04 am

Ghirahim - Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

He takes "evil is hammy" to an entirely new level, being both creepy and fun at the same time. Also he is blast to fight.

Hades - Kid Icarus Uprising

The dialogue between...everyone...in this game makes every character fun to listen to. The villain is no exception and the entrance he makes in the game is phenomenal.

Kefka - Final Fantasy VI

Diabolical insane killer clown who actually succeeds in ripping the world a new one, nuff said.

Saren - Mass Effect

No explanation needed.
Raistlin Majere
Raistlin Majere
N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:04 pm

Arian Dynas wrote:

What about that one where everything was the dream of a god-whale who dresses like a colorblind gypsy? Jesus that one was bad. Hanar kept ranting about it in Mk. III on BSN, saying it was the last time anyone did the "it was a dream" well.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:15 pm

Rifneno wrote:
Arian Dynas wrote:

What about that one where everything was the dream of a god-whale who dresses like a colorblind gypsy? Jesus that one was bad. Hanar kept ranting about it in Mk. III on BSN, saying it was the last time anyone did the "it was a dream" well.

Really? Even if the point of the game is to wake up it is hardly a great "it was dream twist." It is mostly a moral problem it presents as by waking up, by escaping all the people on the Island, everyone you have interacted with will vanish into nothing. In that sense it is interesting.

Though the game as a whole is far from bad. Sure in light of it being the first hand held Zelda it was not the best, but it was hardly bad either.

Also Ganon was not in Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Majora's Mask, Link's Awakening (as mentioned), Skyward Sword (ish) or the first Four Swords. But that is just me nitpicking Grin
Raistlin Majere
Raistlin Majere
N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Raistlin Majere wrote:
Rifneno wrote:
Arian Dynas wrote:

Really? Even if the point of the game is to wake up it is hardly a great "it was dream twist." It is mostly a moral problem it presents as by waking up, by escaping all the people on the Island, everyone you have interacted with will vanish into nothing. In that sense it is interesting.

Though the game as a whole is far from bad. Sure in light of it being the first hand held Zelda it was not the best, but it was hardly bad either.

Also Ganon was not in Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, Majora's Mask, Link's Awakening (as mentioned), Skyward Sword (ish) or the first Four Swords. But that is just me nitpicking Grin

Link's Awakening was the last one I played. I gave up on Nintendo after their douchebaggery of the N64 era. The Zelda games were the only thing I think I actually missed from them. Anyway, I don't think the moral dilemma was intentional on Nintendo's part. Nintendo's not known for deep and thought provoking plots. This is a game with a village full of dancing animals.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Arian Dynas Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Raistlin Majere wrote:
Rifneno wrote:
Arian Dynas wrote:

Ganon IS in Link's Awakening... tangentially. The shadow thing takes his shape at the end.
And the reason he's not in Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks, is well, for obvious reasons.
Majora's Mask, once again, obvious reasons.
Skyward Sword (still need to play that one) is because he isn't even born yet.
And the four swords... well, he comes in later in that series, as the man behind Vaati. So I give that one a pass.

Either way, if he isn't in them physically, his legacy is in some form.

As for the moral repercussions thing; [.url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DreamApocalypse[/url] gotcha covered. (also, SERIOUSLY, FUCK THIS STUPID LINKING SYSTEM!)
Arian Dynas
Arian Dynas
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Raistlin Majere Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:11 pm

Arian Dynas wrote:
Raistlin Majere wrote:
Rifneno wrote:
Arian Dynas wrote:

Ganon IS in Link's Awakening... tangentially. The shadow thing takes his shape at the end.
And the reason he's not in Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks, is well, for obvious reasons.
And the four swords... well, he comes in later in that series, as the man behind Vaati. So I give that one a pass.

As for the moral repercussions thing; [.url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DreamApocalypse[/url] gotcha covered. (also, SERIOUSLY, FUCK THIS STUPID LINKING SYSTEM!)

Actually it is true that Vaati and certainly the later enemies in the DS games are a legacy, but they are not Ganon's legacy. I cant say any more without spoiling Skyward Sword though Blank
Raistlin Majere
Raistlin Majere
N7

Back to top Go down

Post by Arian Dynas Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:25 pm

Raistlin Majere wrote:
Arian Dynas wrote:
Raistlin Majere wrote:
Rifneno wrote:
Arian Dynas wrote:

Actually it is true that Vaati and certainly the later enemies in the DS games are a legacy, but they are not Ganon's legacy. I cant say any more without spoiling Skyward Sword though Blank

Damn it, I need to play that game @.@
Arian Dynas
Arian Dynas
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Norlond Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:36 pm

- Nazara/Sovereign (Loved this feeling of mystery around him/it(?) and the twist that Saren is just Sovereign's puppet)

- Flemeth (Dragon Age, well she's a semi-antagonist or something, but definitely not one of the good guys Bandit )

- Handsome Jack (Borderlands 2, Well! Written! I want more antagonists like him and Vaas, who is not on this list because I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet)

- Dr. Robotnik/Eggman (Sonic franchise, dat cunning bastard! :stick: )

- Alice (American McGee's Alice, Alice is pro- and antagonist, since she is partly responsible for her madness and her own mind is her biggest enemy)

I definitely know why you guys like Ganon, and he would be on my list, but I haven't played any Zelda games except Oracle of Time and Ages, so there're other villains I know better.

TIM and Sovereign were both candidates for the list, but Sovereign is slightly more awesome Wink

GlaDOS (Portal) should be mentioned as well, she was well written too, just like Jack and Vaas, but Jack deserves it more imo.

Others: The Joker (Batman: Arkham City), the Illuminati (Deus Ex)
Norlond
Norlond
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/user/Skyzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by Hrothdane Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:04 pm

In no particular order:

Kane from Command and Conquer
Harbinger
Golbez (only with his characterization in Dissidia)
The killer in Persona 4
Doctor Nefarious from Ratchet and Clank

Honorable mention: YVWH from Shin Megami Tensei games
Hrothdane
Hrothdane
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Arian Dynas Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:04 pm

You put down god? That's cheating. Yeah I know God is evil in those games but still...
Arian Dynas
Arian Dynas
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Hrothdane Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:16 pm

Arian Dynas wrote:You put down god? That's cheating. Yeah I know God is evil in those games but still...

How is that cheating?
Hrothdane
Hrothdane
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by BRAVO543211 Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:38 pm

1)Harbinger ( He tricked hundreds of thousands into joining the Reapers in the last 10 minutes)
2)Kane
3)Saren/ Sovereign
4)Ganon
5)Rodrigo Borgia
BRAVO543211
BRAVO543211
Varren

Location : The horrble irradiated remains of Boston, on a quest to locate the Scourge of the Wastes, DCHoaxer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:52 am

If we're right with IT, then Harbinger.

Also:
-Andrew Ryan
-Magus
-your 'friends' in SMT: Nocturne

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwailing Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:35 pm

In no particular order:

Kane

Marker-Nicole

Star-Brat/Harbinger

Andrew Ryan

Capt. Walker
Dwailing
Dwailing
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by AxStapleton Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:33 pm

In no particular order:

-Harbinger (the illusion master itself). ME3
- The Water Wraith (okay, this one is a bit of a joke but this thing gave me hell). Pikmin 2
- The Joker. Batman Arkham City
- Ganon. Majority of Zelda games.
-Xehanort. Kingdom Hearts games.
AxStapleton
AxStapleton
Varren

Back to top Go down

Post by Restrider Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:46 pm

In no particular order:

- Kerrigan in SC1, Broodwar, Wings of Liberty
- Saren/Sovereign
- Starbrat/Harbinger (if IT is true, if not both are morons of the greatest magnitude)
- to some extent TIM
- Arthas in WC III
Restrider
Restrider
Blood Pack Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:02 pm

Nice topic.

1) Kefka Palazzo
2) Vyers
3) The Illusive Man
4) Chzo
5) Sovereign
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:44 pm

Arian Dynas wrote:You put down god? That's cheating. Yeah I know God is evil in those games but still...
Waitamunite.... since when was god not evil? I need whatever you are smoking, and dish some up for the children who are starving and hopeless and nobody can be blamed for their predicament, except an all powerful being who put them there. Whistling

Also why does everyone keep listing Saren? Like I mean, he realizes he does wrong way towards the end and you have to do the impossible just to clean up his mess. That's hardly a respectable villain, he was essentially a bitchass jackass.

No particular order:

- Old man in Scribblenauts Unlimited(I will definitely explain this, since it probably seems completely silly)
- Alduin from Skyrim(I will explain)
- The Reapers(Harbinger and Sovereign are just examples of what all Reapers are like, FYI)
- Don't have one worthy.
- Don't have one worthy.

Explanation for Scribblenauts antagonist:
Spoiler:

Alduin explanation:
Spoiler:
Terramine
Terramine
Destroyer

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:32 pm

IronicParticle wrote:
Waitamunite.... since when was god not evil? I need whatever you are smoking, and dish some up for the children who are starving and hopeless and nobody can be blamed for their predicament, except an all powerful being who put them there. Whistling
*yawn*

IronicParticle wrote:Also why does everyone keep listing Saren? Like I mean, he realizes he does wrong way towards the end and you have to do the impossible just to clean up his mess. That's hardly a respectable villain, he was essentially a bitchass jackass.
This cannot be forgiven!!
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:51 pm

BlueLogic wrote:
IronicParticle wrote:
*yawn*

IronicParticle wrote:Also why does everyone keep listing Saren? Like I mean, he realizes he does wrong way towards the end and you have to do the impossible just to clean up his mess. That's hardly a respectable villain, he was essentially a bitchass jackass.
That first paragraph was a joke.

As for Saren, what about him made him a good villain? He was not a challenge at all, he was not smart either. So what was good about him as a villain? Simple fact is, he was actually a good guy who failed, that's it.
Terramine
Terramine
Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueLogic Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:46 pm

IronicParticle wrote:
BlueLogic wrote:
...what about him made him a good villain? He was not a challenge at all, he was not smart either. So what was good about him as a villain? Simple fact is, he was actually a good guy who failed, that's it.

A fallen hero tragically convinced that he's doing the right thing by betraying everyone and everything he holds dear into the hands of their destroyers? That's pretty awesome. Above all his story highlights the genius of the Reaper's indoctrination because he wasn't just hit with some mind control spell and forced to do things he otherwise wouldn't. He had logical reasons for thinking he was right, even if they were given to him. Anyway, I thought the scene where you could snap him out of it for a single moment of redemption was amazing. Hate that all that was lost on you. Oh well, there's no accounting for taste.
BlueLogic
BlueLogic
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:24 pm

BlueLogic wrote:
IronicParticle wrote:
BlueLogic wrote:
...what about him made him a good villain? He was not a challenge at all, he was not smart either. So what was good about him as a villain? Simple fact is, he was actually a good guy who failed, that's it.

A fallen hero tragically convinced that he's doing the right thing by betraying everyone and everything he holds dear into the hands of their destroyers? That's pretty awesome. Above all his story highlights the genius of the Reaper's indoctrination because he wasn't just hit with some mind control spell and forced to do things he otherwise wouldn't. He had logical reasons for thinking he was right, even if they were given to him. Anyway, I thought the scene where you could snap him out of it for a single moment of redemption was amazing. Hate that all that was lost on you. Oh well, there's no accounting for taste.
I don't think it was lost on me... It's a nice HERO'S story. Maybe I shouldn't have said he was a failed hero so bluntly.

Read the title, favorite antagonists... not protagonists. He doesn't count IMO, as you'd so verily pointed out he was a good guy so as far as I'm concerned that's where his merits lie. Again, as you've pointed out it's an excellent hero story. But not so much for him being an antagonist. His wrong doing just enhances the good guy thing.

A true protagonist, is like the Reapers. TRUE bad guys.
Terramine
Terramine
Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down