Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theorists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inheritances: Consequence - Conversation Thread - Just For Fun

+6
CoolioThane
MaximizedAction
RavenEyry
Fur28
Hanako Ikezawa
Arian Dynas
10 posters

Page 1 of 36 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 36  Next

Go down

Inheritances: Consequence - Conversation Thread - Just For Fun Empty Inheritances: Consequence - Conversation Thread - Just For Fun

Post by Arian Dynas Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:59 am

Oh, you can whack him, but there's a thing about monstrous societies; very often authority equals asskicking. And considering that he's capable of at LEAST going toe-to-toe with Sandro, Enrico II is easily the second most powerful of the bunch
Arian Dynas
Arian Dynas
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Inheritances: Consequence - Conversation Thread - Just For Fun Empty Re: Inheritances: Consequence - Conversation Thread - Just For Fun

Post by Hanako Ikezawa Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:15 am

Oh dear, Raven caught up to Enrico. We need some of us to help him.
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Inheritances: Consequence - Conversation Thread - Just For Fun Empty Re: Inheritances: Consequence - Conversation Thread - Just For Fun

Post by Fur28 Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:15 am

Selim Bradley wrote:Oh dear, Raven caught up to Enrico. We need some of us to help him.
me to the rescue 8)

Fur28
Commando

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:16 am

I'm gonna keep aiming at body parts. I might be able to weaken him a bit instead of a futile attempt at an early kill.
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:17 am

Arian Dynas wrote:Also, are you lot all ready for further details on the fight then?

And just to make sure certain things are copacetic; you all are having fun? You all don't mind when I go back and clean up/copy edit your posts for you? You all are enjoying the setting? Does this seem exciting to all of you? Is the combat system and the rules system working out?

Just some feedback and such, any complaints if there are some, etc.
In order: yes, no, yes, yes, yes.
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Arian Dynas Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:17 am

Abupbup! Raven, hold your horses.

I'll provide info on how to deal with Enrico, and what happens.

But first; provide feedback damn you! I need a way of working magic, and I want your thoughts on the other things!

Once at least one person provides such, I shall put up a post.
Arian Dynas
Arian Dynas
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by MaximizedAction Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:18 am

Arian Dynas wrote:
To be honest, I am still figuring out how to work magic. It's not really that it does equal damage to the user when cast, just that it hurts, since it takes effort to make things real; the pain is not actual damage; it's phantom pain, which, with sufficient willpower or pain tolerance, will pass by, leaving the user untouched. Though; too much magic use does overload the nervous system, leading to insanity or death. This is why people who are congenitally insensitive to pain make extremely powerful, if short lived magi. They don't know when to stop; very few mages have the willpower to die in such a manner, most usually falling unconscious from the pain long before things would get bad enough to kill themselves.

I'm not sure how to represent this yet really. Magic is basically unlimited, except by the user's willpower, or body. Concentration makes things easier, as does somatic, verbal and material components, which make the spell more "real" and thus both easier to cast and less painful.

Using a staff or a wand does make things considerably easier, since it can be used as a focus and a director. Some magic snobs however, look down on magi who use such tools as using them as "crutches". Extremely powerful magi, who are, thankfully, rare, can do basically anything with a gesture and a word.

Thoughts on how best to represent all this? I'm mostly pulling this out of my ass as I go along.

And I remember you writing me this, and I still find this concept of magic and spellcasting really great! Never heard of something like this before.

But if you don't want it to do damage on the spellcaster himself, then you'd need to introduce something like stun or fatigue and make that depend on maybe CON or INT...I remember this from KotOR, when someone just stands around, paralysed and can't do anything.

Oh, and my answer ragarding feedback is the same as Selim's.

Last edited by MaximizedAction on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
MaximizedAction
MaximizedAction
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Arian Dynas Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:21 am

Max; with the comment you added to your post, I assume you want to create like a big anti-undead bubble around the priest and the sarcophagus then? Once I know what you're planning (and, since it's so early in the game and the magic rules remain nebulous for now, I'll just give you this one) then I can make up a post about what Sandro and Enrico are doing.

And Raven; a request for the future; I know you DO have writing talent, don't hide it, Give us some big, long, juicy posts! And; make use of this more often, if you can please; http://thesaurus.com/browse/whack?s=t.
Arian Dynas
Arian Dynas
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:27 am

Arian Dynas wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:
MaximizedAction wrote:Sooo, I have unlimited strength for spell attacks, but am only limited by the number of hits I can do per post (just line everyone else?)
Yes, though with the more damage you do for an attack the more damage you do to yourself apparently. So avoid nuke spells if possible. :stick:

To be honest, I am still figuring out how to work magic. It's not really that it does equal damage to the user when cast, just that it hurts, since it takes effort to make things real; the pain is not actual damage; it's phantom pain, which, with sufficient willpower or pain tolerance, will pass by, leaving the user untouched. Though; too much magic use does overload the nervous system, leading to insanity or death. This is why people who are congenitally insensitive to pain make extremely powerful, if short lived magi. They don't know when to stop; very few mages have the willpower to die in such a manner, most usually falling unconscious from the pain long before things would get bad enough to kill themselves.

I'm not sure how to represent this yet really. Magic is basically unlimited, except by the user's willpower, or body. Concentration makes things easier, as does somatic, verbal and material components, which make the spell more "real" and thus both easier to cast and less painful.

Using a staff or a wand does make things considerably easier, since it can be used as a focus and a director. Some magic snobs however, look down on magi who use such tools as using them as "crutches". Extremely powerful magi, who are, thankfully, rare, can do basically anything with a gesture and a word.

Thoughts on how best to represent all this? I'm mostly pulling this out of my ass as I go along.
I like it, though can I add another potential downside to the overuse of magic?

Since magic relies on a persons whole connection of the real to unreal, there needs to be a downside for each. Physical could result in death (since it involves the body), Mental could result in insanity (since it in involves the mind), and the final is Spiritual could result in "burning out" (since it involves the spirit. "Burning out" as it was termed in the Rowan book series is when a person loses spiritual connection to the power they had by overusing it. This strain would sever the connection between the magic's source and the mage, causing them never to wield magic again. To relate to you guys, Dragon Age's Tranquilization follows a somewhat similar prospect, though that isn't caused by the mage themselves and burning out doesn't make you emotionless since the mind is still connected to the body. If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to think of an analogy for it.
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaximizedAction Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:33 am

Hm...then a future ruler of a kingdom better not overuse Mental, huh? ^^
MaximizedAction
MaximizedAction
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Arian Dynas Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:39 am

Selim Bradley wrote:
Arian Dynas wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:
MaximizedAction wrote:Sooo, I have unlimited strength for spell attacks, but am only limited by the number of hits I can do per post (just line everyone else?)
Yes, though with the more damage you do for an attack the more damage you do to yourself apparently. So avoid nuke spells if possible. :stick:

I like it, though can I add another potential downside to the overuse of magic?

Since magic relies on a persons whole connection of the real to unreal, there needs to be a downside for each. Physical could result in death (since it involves the body), Mental could result in insanity (since it in involves the mind), and the final is Spiritual could result in "burning out" (since it involves the spirit. "Burning out" as it was termed in the Rowan book series is when a person loses spiritual connection to the power they had by overusing it. This strain would sever the connection between the magic's source and the mage, causing them never to wield magic again. To relate to you guys, Dragon Age's Tranquilization follows a somewhat similar prospect, though that isn't caused by the mage themselves and burning out doesn't make you emotionless since the mind is still connected to the body. If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to think of an analogy for it.

It's a workable concept; but it doesn't feel right for me personally. I'd rater keep it as a "pain" thing, since, as torture shows, enough pain can drive anyone mad.
Arian Dynas
Arian Dynas
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Arian Dynas Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:43 am

Also, Max, did you get my response about your spell question?
Arian Dynas
Arian Dynas
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:44 am

Arian Dynas wrote: It's a workable concept; but it doesn't feel right for me personally. I'd rater keep it as a "pain" thing, since, as torture shows, enough pain can drive anyone mad.
Their pain in this case would be to live without their gifts, which for most mages being proud of their capabilities is a terrifying concept and experiencing it can drive them mad. Look at Anakin Skywalker from Star Wars: he had his humanity removed and thus his capabilities as a Sith were stunted, which for someone as prideful as he was in his powers literally trapped him in a living hell and turning him into the monster known as Darth Vader.
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Arian Dynas Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:47 am

Selim Bradley wrote:
Arian Dynas wrote: It's a workable concept; but it doesn't feel right for me personally. I'd rater keep it as a "pain" thing, since, as torture shows, enough pain can drive anyone mad.
Their pain in this case would be to live without their gifts, which for most mages being proud of their capabilities is a terrifying concept and experiencing it can drive them mad. Look at Anakin Skywalker from Star Wars: he had his humanity removed and thus his capabilities as a Sith were stunted, which for someone as prideful as he was in his powers literally trapped him in a living hell and turning him into the monster known as Darth Vader.

I know what you mean, but I mean physical pain only. It just seems the best fitting to me. That bit I think won't change.
Arian Dynas
Arian Dynas
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:48 am

Arian Dynas wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:

I know what you mean, but I mean physical pain only. It just seems the best fitting to me. That bit I think won't change.
Okeydokey. Like I said, just an idea I was throwing out so no harm done.

Edit: Allright, at least one person critiqued, now write the next event.
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Arian Dynas Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:53 am

What I am currently considering is the mage imagines some kind of effect, tells me what he wants to do, and then I attach a price in pain, and decide how difficult this would be. But at the same time, I want it to be something that, while powerful, and while a viable option, is still hard to pull off the really impressive bits.

So I guess I'm thinking; do a wisdom OR constitution check, your choice, and attach penalties dependent on how difficult I deem the spell to be, with Verbal, somatic, material and focus components giving bonuses, and failure having some kind of result, like, extra pain and instead of say, freezing the ghoul in front of you, freezing the water you're standing in instead.
Arian Dynas
Arian Dynas
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Arian Dynas Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:54 am

Unfortunately, I can't until max gets back to me and tells me what he wants to do when he says; "Protection"

Angry Hurry up damn you!
Arian Dynas
Arian Dynas
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Fur28 Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:56 am

Arian Dynas wrote:Unfortunately, I can't until max gets back to me and tells me what he wants to do when he says; "Protection"

Angry Hurry up damn you!
*Ray voice* someoneĀ“s droping the D-bombs monkey

Fur28
Commando

Back to top Go down

Post by MaximizedAction Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:57 am

Arian Dynas wrote:Also, Max, did you get my response about your spell question?

Message sent.

And so what about something like paralyse? Or do you want to leave it as you suggested it in the message you sent me?
MaximizedAction
MaximizedAction
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Arian Dynas Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:01 am

Max, I re-iterate WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO AND HOW YOU WANT TO DO IT IS UP TO YOU! I place NO limits whatsoever, with the exception of your own creativity.

If you want to make a bubble the enemy simply can't enter, you can. If you want to make it so they burn to death upon entry, you can. If you want to make it so they simply REFUSE to enter, or indeed, experience an extreme desire not to, you can.

I am giving you a blank check here.
Arian Dynas
Arian Dynas
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:04 am

Cast summon bigger fish!
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaximizedAction Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:05 am

Okay okay, have them burn down from 1 good hit+1 average to 1 average. I don't want to be too powerful, otherwise, if I can keep them from entering, there's no need for protection anymore. And I don't want to use that stuff at this point in the game, where the enemies aren't as powerful or numbered.

What I suggest will make me happy.

Please.

Last edited by MaximizedAction on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
MaximizedAction
MaximizedAction
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Arian Dynas Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:06 am

Ok, Ghouls entering the bubble burn to death. Can do.
Arian Dynas
Arian Dynas
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Arian Dynas Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:24 am

Also, remember, I did the checks for everyone who did combat related posts.

And some of you people are going to come out of this with injuries I'm afraid. Death remains a possibility if things REALLY go south.
Arian Dynas
Arian Dynas
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:25 am

Arian Dynas wrote:Also, remember, I did the checks for everyone who did combat related posts.

And some of you people are going to come out of this with injuries I'm afraid. Death remains a possibility if things REALLY go south.
How hurt is everyone so far?
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 36 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 36  Next