Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theorists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IT Project X

+6
RavenEyry
Terramine
TJBartlemus
Arashi08
BansheeOwnage
smokingotter
10 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

IT Project X Empty IT Project X

Post by smokingotter Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:22 am

The supersecret IT project to create something Otter
smokingotter
smokingotter
Thorian Creeper

Back to top Go down

IT Project X Empty Re: IT Project X

Post by BansheeOwnage Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:26 am

HELL YEAH!
BansheeOwnage
BansheeOwnage
Banshee

Back to top Go down

Post by Arashi08 Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:34 am

Hooray!! :D
Arashi08
Arashi08
Nemesis

Back to top Go down

Post by TJBartlemus Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:47 am

Let's get a running start at it! Here we GO!!

Important Aspects that should be in game:

- Deep Story
- Choice (meaningful)
- Something unique
TJBartlemus
TJBartlemus
Husk

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:20 am

Waitaminute... this is similar to my thread?
Terramine
Terramine
Destroyer

http://Tumblr Blog: terraminelightvoid.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by smokingotter Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:22 am

@ironic you had a similar thread?
smokingotter
smokingotter
Thorian Creeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:26 am

smokingotter wrote:@ironic you had a similar thread?
Wait, what is this thread for exactly with it's ambiguity?

I have an idea based on something Banshee said, but can't be sure.
Terramine
Terramine
Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post by TJBartlemus Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:02 pm

IronicParticle wrote:

I think you are thinking about your Project for an epilogue mod for ME3. I believe here, we are trying to create an entirely new IP. 2 totally different things.
TJBartlemus
TJBartlemus
Husk

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:28 pm

You want the Truth DLC? You want the Truth DLC?!? You can't handle the Truth DLC!

(No truth handler you! Bah, I deride your truth handling skills!)
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:09 pm

TJBartlemus wrote:
IronicParticle wrote:

I think you are thinking about your Project for an epilogue mod for ME3. I believe here, we are trying to create an entirely new IP. 2 totally different things.
Really? So you guys WOULD be up for making a whole new game? Kinda wish I knew that sooner.

Anyways you guys may want to look into the unreal UDK: http://www.unrealengine.com/udk/ It's free.

I kinda feel like this may be counter productive a bit, since we could potentially "steal" resources from each other with could keep us from getting anywhere. If I could funnel all my resources into the project, I probably would.

But then again while I like the idea of an original IP, I still don't want to abandon ME3. We're still working on checking out the legality of it. If it becomes certain that we cannot do it, I'll try to inform everyone there about this and see if they want to help out. Even if ME3 would be dead, it would also be nice... this is how a game company gets started, by gamers working on a project like this. If we did branch off into a game company, we'd have to never sell out to EA and never corrupt :P

Edit: I went ahead and informed them, to see how they feel about the situation.
Terramine
Terramine
Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post by TJBartlemus Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:02 am

Alright. Came up with an idea today at school. Here it is in sections:

- You play as a soldier. (Or something else like an engineer or assasin, etc.)
- The setting is on Earth 5+ years ahead of present times.
- Nano-Science has become huge in the science community, and more particularly in the military setting.
- A second Cold War has broken out between China and the United States. In cause of the starting of the 2nd Cold War, the maps of countries have changed. (I'm thinking of having a melding of Canada and US and perhaps some other countries as well, while China had taken over Russia to re-introduce Communism to the Russian Bloc under a Chinese governement.)
- Secret Program for Nanite Enhanced Soldiers takes a role in the plot.
- Main Character stumbles upon this secret program and becomes recruited.
- Goes through the journey of becoming this new type of soldier, learn about some secret war going on between 2 sides that actually caused/ran both Cold Wars (so some type of truth is revealed) and some plot has to be stopped.

Aspects that I think should be in game...

- Drama
- Espionage / Stealth
- Important Choices

What do you guys think?
TJBartlemus
TJBartlemus
Husk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokanaiya Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:20 am

Well, I think one of the first things we'd need to hammer out is the genre. I'm partial to either science fiction or fantasy myself, but what about everyone else?
Lokanaiya
Lokanaiya
Husk

Back to top Go down

Post by TJBartlemus Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:32 am

Lokanaiya wrote:Well, I think one of the first things we'd need to hammer out is the genre. I'm partial to either science fiction or fantasy myself, but what about everyone else?

Science Fiction I would think. Not too good with writing fantasy. :P
TJBartlemus
TJBartlemus
Husk

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:27 am

TJBartlemus wrote:
Lokanaiya wrote:Well, I think one of the first things we'd need to hammer out is the genre. I'm partial to either science fiction or fantasy myself, but what about everyone else?

Besides, Science Fiction is superior just because it doesn't have MAGIC. You know, I like TES, but it's silly when everything is magic. Science Magic is a big nono in Science Fiction and I love that fact.

Though. I'm not sure if we should do a Opera or what... essentially, what sub-genre?

Last edited by IronicParticle on Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Terramine
Terramine
Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:37 am

TJBartlemus wrote:Alright. Came up with an idea today at school. Here it is in sections:

- You play as a soldier. (Or something else like an engineer or assasin, etc.)
- The setting is on Earth 5+ years ahead of present times.
- Nano-Science has become huge in the science community, and more particularly in the military setting.
- A second Cold War has broken out between China and the United States. In cause of the starting of the 2nd Cold War, the maps of countries have changed. (I'm thinking of having a melding of Canada and US and perhaps some other countries as well, while China had taken over Russia to re-introduce Communism to the Russian Bloc under a Chinese governement.)
- Secret Program for Nanite Enhanced Soldiers takes a role in the plot.
- Main Character stumbles upon this secret program and becomes recruited.
- Goes through the journey of becoming this new type of soldier, learn about some secret war going on between 2 sides that actually caused/ran both Cold Wars (so some type of truth is revealed) and some plot has to be stopped.

Aspects that I think should be in game...

- Drama
- Espionage / Stealth
- Important Choices

What do you guys think?
I like classes, when people suggested Bioware should make a game centered around a specific play-style I was thinking what the heck, especially when you pay attention to how many people actually even like stealth. Stealth is alright, but I think the game should have different playstyles. It's kinda like a hallmark of RPGs which seems to be what you are aiming for with the choices. There should be espionage, etc. But someone should be able to be more head on if they want, kinda like how the DB from TES lets you do.

I like the story, but I think we should reflect real life a little bit more. Right now, science is becoming more and more like a race of it's own as opposed to it being second hand for weaponry. The espionage should center around all kinds of technologies. So as a revision, the world is now competing for the edge in science, that will be what the espionage would center around.

It wouldn't JUST be nanotechnology that is big, and in fact this is why war is breaking out is that as I said it would be because different "factions" of countries are fighting for an edge in science. It should be WWIII! Or maybe, WWIII is becoming like freakishly close to a reality in the world, and these secret programs could tip the balance.

I like the idea of Nanotechnology but Crysis kinda got there first, as well others. However, if the different "classes" instead were different secret programs surrounding different technologies. The stealth class, would make use of nanotechnology. This could also be a bit Meta, if depending on your class, it decides what program the government went with, giving player control over past events even. Which also have different consequences for the future because it means country X gets a certain technology, compared to country Y.

Or that it tips the balance for a world war, in different ways, etc.
Terramine
Terramine
Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Lokanaiya Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:13 am

IronicParticle wrote:
TJBartlemus wrote:

Besides, Science Fiction is superior just because it doesn't have MAGIC. You know, I like TES, but it's silly when everything is magic. Science Magic is a big nono in Science Fiction and I love that fact.

Though. I'm not sure if we should do a Opera or what... essentially, what sub-genre?

Wat Um, Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, and pretty much every single science fiction story say hi... Mass Effect is almost completely unique in that it actually tries to make things scientifically possible. Almost every other science fiction story, especially Star Wars and Star Trek, make only a minimal effort to appear realistic at a passing glance, and sometimes not even that. With magic, it usually has to obey its own rules, at least, so it can't do anything ridiculous, while science fiction can just spout off a bunch of technobabble and call it a day. In some ways, magic is more realistic than science fiction in that it doesn't try to conceal the fact that it's bending the laws of physics and it's almost always internally consistent. Out of the two options, I'll take the one that's at least honest about what it does.

*Ahem* Alright, rant done. :P
Lokanaiya
Lokanaiya
Husk

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:20 am

Lokanaiya wrote:
Wat Um, Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, and pretty much every single science fiction story say hi... Mass Effect is almost completely unique in that it actually tries to make things scientifically possible. Almost every other science fiction story, especially Star Wars and Star Trek, make only a minimal effort to appear realistic at a passing glance, and sometimes not even that. With magic, it usually has to obey its own rules, at least, so it can't do anything ridiculous, while science fiction can just spout off a bunch of technobabble and call it a day. In some ways, magic is more realistic than science fiction in that it doesn't try to conceal the fact that it's bending the laws of physics and it's almost always internally consistent. Out of the two options, I'll take the one that's at least honest about what it does.

*Ahem* Alright, rant done. :P
I actually would argue Technobabble is still better because it does reflect reality more. You want to talk internal consistency? Tell that to scientists IRL who have theorized on practical FTL drives. In fact, we are working on one right now. Despite everyone laughing at the notion of faster than light travel in the past like we once did with flying planes.

Anyways STILL, I think this game should try to make use of actual science. More so hopefully, than even ME. I mean I don't want it to limit the potential of it being art, but I still would like if it tried to make as much sense as possible at the same time.
Terramine
Terramine
Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Norlond Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:38 am

Have you even thought about how to actually do this? It's not like we have a dev-kit for Unreal Engine or CryEngine or something... We'd either have to write our own engine or use a basic free Engine like Unity, or just use Java like Minecraft. Tongue
Next point: What about the genre and its subgenres? 3rdP-RPG? 1stP-RPG? Sidescrolling? 3D? Point-and-Click-Adventure? RTS? FPS? TPS? Something else?

It would be easy to make a TES-style fantasy RPG, since we could just use their creation kit, which is free. A german "modding" group called SureAI is doing exactly that, they're using Skyrim's files and engine to create an entirely new game called Enderal: The Shards of Order. They did the same for Oblivion (Nehrim: At Fate's Edge) and Morrowind (Arktwend: The Lost Kingdom) and both TC's (Total Conversions) were really amazing. w00t (I recommend playing the english-subtitled version of Nehrim if you liked Oblivion)

I don't know if there's a SciFi game with a similar kind of toolset, but the only way I can see us being able to make a SciFi game would a small Indie game or via Unity or something...
Norlond
Norlond
Admin

https://www.youtube.com/user/Skyzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by TJBartlemus Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:56 am

Norlond wrote:Have you even thought about how to actually do this? It's not like we have a dev-kit for Unreal Engine or CryEngine or something... We'd either have to write our own engine or use a basic free Engine like Unity, or just use Java like Minecraft. Tongue
Next point: What about the genre and its subgenres? 3rdP-RPG? 1stP-RPG? Sidescrolling? 3D? Point-and-Click-Adventure? RTS? FPS? TPS? Something else?

It would be easy to make a TES-style fantasy RPG, since we could just use their creation kit, which is free. A german "modding" group called SureAI is doing exactly that, they're using Skyrim's files and engine to create an entirely new game called Enderal: The Shards of Order. They did the same for Oblivion (Nehrim: At Fate's Edge) and Morrowind (Arktwend: The Lost Kingdom) and both TC's (Total Conversions) were really amazing. w00t (I recommend playing the english-subtitled version of Nehrim if you liked Oblivion)

I don't know if there's a SciFi game with a similar kind of toolset, but the only way I can see us being able to make a SciFi game would a small Indie game or via Unity or something...

I was thinking that it would be an Indie game that used the Unreal Developer's Kit. It's effectively Unreal Engine 3 but geared for Indie games. Best part is that it's free!! :P

http://www.unrealengine.com/en/udk/

On sub genre I was thinking of having a FPS RPG that is either 1st or 3rd person. Probably 3rd person just cause I like the style better. :P
TJBartlemus
TJBartlemus
Husk

Back to top Go down

Post by TJBartlemus Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:10 am

IronicParticle wrote:I like classes, when people suggested Bioware should make a game centered around a specific play-style I was thinking what the heck, especially when you pay attention to how many people actually even like stealth. Stealth is alright, but I think the game should have different playstyles. It's kinda like a hallmark of RPGs which seems to be what you are aiming for with the choices. There should be espionage, etc. But someone should be able to be more head on if they want, kinda like how the DB from TES lets you do.

I like the story, but I think we should reflect real life a little bit more. Right now, science is becoming more and more like a race of it's own as opposed to it being second hand for weaponry. The espionage should center around all kinds of technologies. So as a revision, the world is now competing for the edge in science, that will be what the espionage would center around.

It wouldn't JUST be nanotechnology that is big, and in fact this is why war is breaking out is that as I said it would be because different "factions" of countries are fighting for an edge in science. It should be WWIII! Or maybe, WWIII is becoming like freakishly close to a reality in the world, and these secret programs could tip the balance.

I like the idea of Nanotechnology but Crysis kinda got there first, as well others. However, if the different "classes" instead were different secret programs surrounding different technologies. The stealth class, would make use of nanotechnology. This could also be a bit Meta, if depending on your class, it decides what program the government went with, giving player control over past events even. Which also have different consequences for the future because it means country X gets a certain technology, compared to country Y.

Or that it tips the balance for a world war, in different ways, etc.

I agree that the game should allow for different playstyles as best as possible. We could even incorperate some RPG elements in there as well. For example, one person prefers to go stealthily and either go around the guys / kill them quitely while another likes the direct approach guns blazing. The silent person would get little to no attention from reinforcements (or possibly get less consequences later on at some point similar to Dishonored) while the loud one would have a lot of people to take care of in result of his/her actions.

2nd paragraph...love the idea. Much more realistic and relatable. :P

3rd paragraph, love the idea just as much...except for the actually being WWIII part. I think being on the brink of WWIII would be much better and cause more tension.

I like the idea of how siding with certain sides can turn the balance on the war/upcoming war. Tense stuff that makes you go..."OH hell. I shouldn't of done that." Then the player can try to reconcile what they have done later in the game w/ even more consequences. Each choice should have varying degrees of success and failure, but I don't think there should be a "perfect" choice / ending per say.

Yeah, when I was coming up with the idea, I felt it was a tad similar to Crisis just without the armor. I like the idea how each "class" or specialization would make use of different tech that differs widely from the other classes. It's been done in every RPG game I know of, but unless someone can think of something radical / different...

I also quite like this part too...

"This could also be a bit Meta, if depending on your class, it decides what program the government went with, giving player control over past events even. Which also have different consequences for the future because it means country X gets a certain technology, compared to country Y.

Or that it tips the balance for a world war, in different ways, etc." w00t
TJBartlemus
TJBartlemus
Husk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:31 am

Norlond wrote:Have you even thought about how to actually do this? It's not like we have a dev-kit for Unreal Engine or CryEngine or something... We'd either have to write our own engine or use a basic free Engine like Unity, or just use Java like Minecraft. Tongue

RPG Maker, hehe

(which I have the newest version of, btw)

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:00 am

TJBartlemus wrote:
I agree that the game should allow for different playstyles as best as possible. We could even incorperate some RPG elements in there as well. For example, one person prefers to go stealthily and either go around the guys / kill them quitely while another likes the direct approach guns blazing. The silent person would get little to no attention from reinforcements (or possibly get less consequences later on at some point similar to Dishonored) while the loud one would have a lot of people to take care of in result of his/her actions.

2nd paragraph...love the idea. Much more realistic and relatable. :P

3rd paragraph, love the idea just as much...except for the actually being WWIII part. I think being on the brink of WWIII would be much better and cause more tension.

I like the idea of how siding with certain sides can turn the balance on the war/upcoming war. Tense stuff that makes you go..."OH hell. I shouldn't of done that." Then the player can try to reconcile what they have done later in the game w/ even more consequences. Each choice should have varying degrees of success and failure, but I don't think there should be a "perfect" choice / ending per say.

Yeah, when I was coming up with the idea, I felt it was a tad similar to Crisis just without the armor. I like the idea how each "class" or specialization would make use of different tech that differs widely from the other classes. It's been done in every RPG game I know of, but unless someone can think of something radical / different...

I also quite like this part too...

"This could also be a bit Meta, if depending on your class, it decides what program the government went with, giving player control over past events even. Which also have different consequences for the future because it means country X gets a certain technology, compared to country Y.

Or that it tips the balance for a world war, in different ways, etc." w00t
1st paragraph, agreed.

Response to 3rd paragraph, yeah that's why I listed both possibilities, I think I much prefer the THREAT of a WW starting. It not only creates tension, but it gives the chance to put into perspective how dangerous it is as a threat. Also, we have the opurtunity to give an updated viewpoint on the risks. Most games that ever create the tension of WWIII, instantly think nuclear war. But if you look at real life, most nations are becoming less and less interested in blowing everyone up. Whereas science is creating so many more possibilities that the tension would actually be much more worse now than nuclear war has ever brought.

Not that we can't bring that classic threat into the picture, but there is now so much more you can do with the possibilities to express the tension.

Also, I agree to no perfect ending. In fact while I think the "best" scenario could be getting as much peace as possible(though there would still be major loses, probably whole countries taken out of the picture at the end of the day), I also think we could bring another perspective into the picture. Sure, you could save as many countries as possible through consequences, etc. But also there could be ways to end up with only 1 country left, who is badly damaged, or 1 country left and what of humanity is left could either also fall to ruin or work together to advance, etc. I think it should have the kind of ending, where you will have sacrifices and/or loses in exchange for specific outcomes, etc.

"It's been done in every RPG game I know of"

The thing is, that it's alright. As I said, classes are kind of a hallmark of RPGs usually as are the idea that they have different equipment, gear, tech, etc.

We can at least make it more unique by thinking of more original ideas on what the tech allows, etc. Like Bioware actually creates psychics with Biotics, etc. Nanotechnology, could allow the stealth class to make objects and tech on the demand, just a random possibility. It could range from making a throwing projectile like a blade, to picking locks, etc. I dunno, just giving some possibilities.

"I also quite like this part too..."

Haha yeah, I don't think that's been done before right? Nonetheless, awesome idea. Also more people should get in on this discussion, 2 people can only do so much in the way of coming up with ideas and filtering said ideas, etc. :P

Last edited by IronicParticle on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Terramine
Terramine
Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:03 am

Actually there is a free UDK for Unreal. Which I already know was ninja'd.

Anyways it doesn't have to be small, indie games never actually need to be small... but if the majority here wanted that, I'd have no problem with it.
Terramine
Terramine
Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post by TJBartlemus Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:46 am

IronicParticle wrote:

Haha yeah, I don't think that's been done before right? Nonetheless, awesome idea. Also more people should get in on this discussion, 2 people can only do so much in the way of coming up with ideas and filtering said ideas, etc. :P

Yeah. More than 2 people discussing would be good. :P Remember what happened last time that happened? (ME3 Anyone? :P ) Anyway. Awesome ideas around. Smile
TJBartlemus
TJBartlemus
Husk

Back to top Go down

Post by Terramine Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:18 am

TJBartlemus wrote:
IronicParticle wrote:

Yeah. More than 2 people discussing would be good. :P Remember what happened last time that happened? (ME3 Anyone? :P ) Anyway. Awesome ideas around. Smile
Exactly :P
Terramine
Terramine
Destroyer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next