Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theorists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

+10
CSSteele
Hanako Ikezawa
DSharrah
Rifneno
ericformans_sisterisdead
Byne
Maximus
symbowles
Dwailing
BRAVO543211
14 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Empty Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Rifneno Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:28 am

I was wondering if they were drawing inspiration from Mass Effect.  Coulson's Project Lazarus and gravitonium mainly.  Coulson is brought back from certain death using unknown and unethical sciences and even he doesn't know the truth of it.  Okay, maybe that's a common enough trope.  But gravitonium?  It's a newly discovered element that, when you apply electrical energy to it, creates fields that can manipulate mass or gravity.  That's exactly what element zero is.  Like word for word.  The only difference was that they used "gravity" instead of "mass" to dumb it down for the masses, though the two are relatively interchangeable when the work of fiction doesn't leave Earth (as in SHIELD).  Then I saw this posted on Gamespot...

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 2416152-agentsofmasseffect

The top image is an Alliance base in ME3 promo art, and the bottom is SHIELD base.  It's easy to see the similarities at first glance.  Look a little bit harder and they become beyond question.  The placement of the lines and windows, even the faded red stripe is copied.  They couldn't even have done that from memory.  They had to literally be looking at this piece of ME3 art when they designed that place for SHIELD.  The basic structure is barely even changed.

Oh, right.  Good show too.  Keeps me guessing (and usually guessing wrong) more than I expected.  Thoughts?
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Empty Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Hanako Ikezawa Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:23 am

I agree, Rifnieno. When I first saw gravitonium in the reactor, I immediately imagined the Mass Relay. Both had the shifting mass surrounded by circling rings to keep it stabilized.

Here's a Mass relay:
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Maxresdefault

And here's the Gravitonium Reactor:
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. 703794-normal_aos103_1393

That with the Agent Coulson being brought back to life(which by the way I loved since Coulson is one of my favorite characters in the Marvel universe) and the SHIELD base looking identical to the Alliance building, there is definitely enough evidence there to show that the writers and artists were influenced by the Mass Effect franchise.

And yeah, the plot twists and mysteries really keep you gripped to the series, as well as the plot itself. Definitely reccomend it to everyone here.
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Fur28 Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:14 am

nice find, didn't notice the similarity with the gravitomium, I just assumed it was something from the comics and didn't look much into it.
Now I guess I'll put  attention in similarities with the SHIELD surgery and project Lazarus, and maybe IT with the "Magical Place".

Also, good show, kinda slow but I'm sure there is a lot of setting for the last episodes of the season.
Hoping they will be able to use Samuel L. Jackson in a future episode for some kind of confrontation between Coulson and Nick Fury or if not maybe in Avengers 2.

And I wonder if they'll use the technology from Coulson's surgery for the origin of Ultron in Avengers2

Fur28
Commando

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:52 am

It is something from the comics but probably looks different. I think that scientist guy becomes the supervillian Gravitron or something like that.

I do like the show, thought it had a slow start but it was enough to keep me interested enough for the next one. (Like all Whedon shows I guess).
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by BRAVO543211 Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:53 pm

Damn, fell asleep and missed the last episode.
BRAVO543211
BRAVO543211
Varren

Location : The horrble irradiated remains of Boston, on a quest to locate the Scourge of the Wastes, DCHoaxer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:04 pm

Dammit, now time to download another show :(. Breaking Bad marathon was enough, world!  Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:50 pm

Selim Bradley wrote:I agree, Rifnieno. When I first saw gravitonium in the reactor, I immediately imagined the Mass Relay. Both had the shifting mass surrounded by circling rings to keep it stabilized.

Hah. You're right, I forgot about that part. Excellent point.

Selim Bradley wrote:That with the Agent Coulson being brought back to life(which by the way I loved since Coulson is one of my favorite characters in the Marvel universe) and the SHIELD base looking identical to the Alliance building, there is definitely enough evidence there to show that the writers and artists were influenced by the Mass Effect franchise.

And yeah, the plot twists and mysteries really keep you gripped to the series, as well as the plot itself. Definitely reccomend it to everyone here.[/color]

I saw someone point out a part of that picture we should've noticed earlier. The Normandy is hovering over that Alliance base. The SHIELD guys forgot to remove its shadow. The Normandy's shadow is still on top of the SHIELD building. LOL.

That's it. "Marvel cinematic universe is the same universe as Mass Effect but 200 years prior" is my new headcanon. All hail the nonsensical but awesome headcanon.

Yeah, Coulson is a great guy. He deserves a medal for being so understanding when
Spoiler:

I wonder what next week's reveal about Skye's parents is going to be. "It can't be worse than I've imagined!" "It is." Wha? Poor girl. Already I just wanted to hug her after May screamed at her about her parental thing not being important.

Fur28 wrote:Hoping they will be able to use Samuel L. Jackson in a future episode for some kind of confrontation between Coulson and Nick Fury or if not maybe in Avengers 2.

And I wonder if they'll use the technology from Coulson's surgery for the origin of Ultron in Avengers2

I doubt there'll be much of a confrontation. At best, Coulson will probably just yell at him for a minute. They're arguably friends and Coulson is very forgiving.

I was always hoping Ultron would look Reaperish. Now there's a good chance it really will. So looking forward to that movie.

RavenEyry wrote:It is something from the comics but probably looks different. I think that scientist guy becomes the supervillian Gravitron or something like that.

I do like the show, thought it had a slow start but it was enough to keep me interested enough for the next one. (Like all Whedon shows I guess).

Yeah, he does. But his origin story was significantly different in the comics I hear. No element zero type thing was involved.

BRAVO543211 wrote:Damn, fell asleep and missed the last episode.

Can you watch it online somewhere maybe? Pretty big reveal at the end. Definitely a must see.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:44 am

Rifneno wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:I agree, Rifnieno. When I first saw gravitonium in the reactor, I immediately imagined the Mass Relay. Both had the shifting mass surrounded by circling rings to keep it stabilized.

Hah. You're right, I forgot about that part. Excellent point.
Thank you.

Rifneno wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:That with the Agent Coulson being brought back to life(which by the way I loved since Coulson is one of my favorite characters in the Marvel universe) and the SHIELD base looking identical to the Alliance building, there is definitely enough evidence there to show that the writers and artists were influenced by the Mass Effect franchise.

And yeah, the plot twists and mysteries really keep you gripped to the series, as well as the plot itself. Definitely reccomend it to everyone here.[/color]

I saw someone point out a part of that picture we should've noticed earlier. The Normandy is hovering over that Alliance base. The SHIELD guys forgot to remove its shadow. The Normandy's shadow is still on top of the SHIELD building. LOL.

That's it. "Marvel cinematic universe is the same universe as Mass Effect but 200 years prior" is my new headcanon. All hail the nonsensical but awesome headcanon.

Yeah, Coulson is a great guy. He deserves a medal for being so understanding when
Spoiler:

I wonder what next week's reveal about Skye's parents is going to be. "It can't be worse than I've imagined!" "It is." Wha? Poor girl. Already I just wanted to hug her after May screamed at her about her parental thing not being important.
Ah, it does. I always thought the shadow was from the one tower on the side but it does have the triangular shape of the Normandy to it.

As for Coulson, yeah he is way more understanding than most people would be in that situation. And I'm really interested to learn the secret of Skye's parentage as well.

As for headcanoning, I now imagine Shepard being like Coulson was during Project Lazarus.
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Fur28 Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:00 am

"Huh, Bucky Barnes..." :D
Pretty good episode

Fur28
Commando

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:49 am

Watched the first 3 episodes now, will try to watch more as I pass out...

I had big issues with the first episode. It was so bad. I felt awkward just watching it - way too 'USA glossy show' to it. Couldn't believe any of it, but I know I'm not supposed to, but still :S.

Next two episodes were better. At least, I felt there was a flow that wasn't in the first one. But that often happens in shows.

Their plane is basically their Normandy. Yeesh. I can even imagine being Skye and walking towards everything and seeing a conversation wheel.

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:18 am

Damn channel 4 not continuing it until march. And I'm too damn lazy to yo-ho-ho it.
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:09 am

Episode 9 now...

EDIT: Episode 11... gonna finish the episodes so far in an all-nighter.. just what I need..

Last edited by SwobyJ on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:37 am

SwobyJ wrote:Their plane is basically their Normandy.
They even made jokes about it having a bar and wanting to add a fishtank, two of the more famous upgrades the Normandy got over the trilogy.
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:40 am

Selim Bradley wrote:
SwobyJ wrote:Their plane is basically their Normandy.
They even made jokes about it having a bar and wanting to add a fishtank, two of the more famous upgrades the Normandy got over the trilogy.

Exactly. But a lot more than that too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:51 am

Oh good. Another thread to be reduced to the cinders of Swoby's insanity. Why do I even bother.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:56 am

What? I meant stuff like it being hi-jacked, the choice to spare or kill (they spared) the female ringleader, and more personally, the style of the interiors reminded me of some other Mass Effect 3 concept art that never really happened in the game itself. Fuck..

What did I say that was so 'insane', or were you just assuming?

EDIT: Also and
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:14 am

He was probably just assuming Swoby, like he always does.

Another similarity I feel like mentioning is ever since the first episode Fitz and Simmons have reminded me of Donnelly and Daniels.
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:30 am

Selim Bradley wrote:He was probably just assuming Swoby, like he always does.

Another similarity I feel like mentioning is ever since the first episode Fitz and Simmons have reminded me of Donnelly and Daniels.

Oh yeah, I was just thinking of that one earlier today too! And the sparring workouts in the back/bottom of the plane struck me as familiar too.

Not exact copy, but a good chunk told me "Ok, someone here liked the Mass Effect trilogy."

Back to top Go down

Post by Dwailing Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:38 am

SwobyJ wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:He was probably just assuming Swoby, like he always does.

Oh yeah, I was just thinking of that one earlier today too! And the sparring workouts in the back/bottom of the plane struck me as familiar too.

Not exact copy, but a good chunk told me "Ok, someone here liked the Mass Effect trilogy."

I think an argument could be made that Mass Effect really IS becoming the new Star Wars/Trek.  Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. seems to have borrowed rather heavily from ME, and Halo 4 definitely took inspiration from ME in certain places.  There will probably be more as we see other new sci-fi series/new entries in existing sci-fi series appear, too.
Dwailing
Dwailing
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:28 am

An argument could be made that similarities happen in everything because that's the way fiction works. There's a whole website on it http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

I see connections to stuff I know well in everything. It doesn't mean it was intentional.
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hanako Ikezawa Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:58 am

RavenEyry wrote:An argument could be made that similarities happen in everything because that's the way fiction works. There's a whole website on it http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

I see connections to stuff I know well in everything. It doesn't mean it was intentional.
Very true. It's only when a large numbers of similarities between the same two things occur that one can reasonable say that one is influenced by the other.
Hanako Ikezawa
Hanako Ikezawa
The Thorian

Back to top Go down

Post by RavenEyry Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:19 pm

Selim Bradley wrote:
RavenEyry wrote:An argument could be made that similarities happen in everything because that's the way fiction works. There's a whole website on it http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

Very true. It's only when a large numbers of similarities between the same two things occur that one can reasonable say that one is influenced by the other.
That base was clearly designed after that ME image, and there may be other intentional nods, but calling it having a man and woman that bicker a sign there's an ME fan on staff is silly.
RavenEyry
RavenEyry
Praetorian

Back to top Go down

Post by symbowles Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:28 pm

Good ole Gamble recently tweeted this pic:

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Bdl1vjdCEAE93BW

It seems mass effect art is popular amongst tv shows and thug rappers alike.
symbowles
symbowles
Geth Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post by Maximus Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:31 pm

symbowles wrote:Good ole Gamble recently tweeted this pic:

*hardcore gangsta rap image*

It seems mass effect art is popular amongst tv shows and thug Reapers alike.

Here, fixed that for ya'!
Now, what kind of IT does this image represent?
Dark IT? ;>
Maximus
Maximus
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:11 pm

RavenEyry wrote:
Selim Bradley wrote:

That base was clearly designed after that ME image, and there may be other intentional nods, but calling it having a man and woman that bicker a sign there's an ME fan on staff is silly.

-bicker
-accents
-effectively the engineers (one is 'even a rocket scientist'), though I'd consider it a mix of that and Mordin, etc stuff. All tropes in a way.
-one came and the other tagged along (I think this is in A.G.E.N.T.? Could be wrong)

Not the same, but yeah, I'd consider it a nod. Of course there are several big differences, so I wouldn't go so far as to call the show a clone of Mass Effect or anything like that. But people in the team that like the game and some stuff in it? Yes, very much so. (I guess the word 'fan' is too direct and presumptive though, but I didn't mean it that way)
Too many things for that to be coincidence, and TV shows are pretty notorious for getting quick inspiration from other things (there are many reasons for why especially the first seasons of shows are like that).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum