Mass Effect 3 Indoctrination Theorists
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

(XL) Was the Ending a Hallucination? - Indoctrination Theory Mark IV!

+34
dorktainian
CSSteele
Master Blaster
Terramine
smash016
Ithurael
HYR 2.1
Norlond
Rifneno
DoomsdayDevice
TurianRebel212
Eryri
ericformans_sisterisdead
Maximus
ZerebusPrime
vlad78
southbeatz
Dwailing
clennon8
Jusseb
Steelcan
Raistlin Majere
MaximizedAction
demersel
WeAreHarbinger
jojon2se
ElSuperGecko
Criddle
invetro
ViolentSound
noobcannon
DaniSaur
symbowles
Valsamon
38 posters

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

(XL) Was the Ending a Hallucination? - Indoctrination Theory Mark IV! - Page 18 Empty Re: (XL) Was the Ending a Hallucination? - Indoctrination Theory Mark IV!

Post by Maximus Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:59 am

SwobyJ wrote:The other thing is the Directive 7 flashpoint. Machines gone rogue, led by, you guessed it, an overlord (called Mentor).
(XL) Was the Ending a Hallucination? - Indoctrination Theory Mark IV! - Page 18 Directive_7
Anywayyy.. IT.

Ayy, lmao!  Chakwruuu

Mentor Harbinger assumed direct control over one of these droids, and when you tell it to go to Junk, he responds with angry 'SO BE IT!'  Harbinger

Hell... that whole, effin' flashpoint is like divin' into one of the Seival's wet dreams!  alien

You have green husks cyber-zombies...  Synthesis!

Green eyes/photoreceptors indicating that the Harbinger Mentor just ASSUMED DIRECT CONTROL over some enemies and uses them as it's avatar...  Synthesis!

Machine that produces 'evil' cyborg-clones of your group's characters... Synthesis!

Harbinger Mentor itself with the Green Beam of Death... sneaky bastard swapped the color from Reaper Red...  Ah, yes...

'THE CYCLE REVOLUTION CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!'   Harbinger

It screams and shouts 'SYNTHESIS' each step of the way... Thane

Edit: Great, I top'd dis thread with Synth-cake... alien
Maximus
Maximus
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

(XL) Was the Ending a Hallucination? - Indoctrination Theory Mark IV! - Page 18 Empty Re: (XL) Was the Ending a Hallucination? - Indoctrination Theory Mark IV!

Post by TurianRebel212 Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:21 am

Seival...... Now that is a name I've not heard in a long time. Long time.

You won't find more scum and villainy in all the Galaxy of BSN than Seival.
TurianRebel212
TurianRebel212
Banshee

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:32 am

SwobyJ wrote:no homo

(XL) Was the Ending a Hallucination? - Indoctrination Theory Mark IV! - Page 18 Post-13204-1330467936
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:14 pm

TurianRebel212 wrote:Haha, love you to bro.

And remember..... Sith happens.

Just ask the Jedi..... One day you're top dog and all powerful and top advisors of the republic....

Then the next your living on some swamp planet or some uber hot desert plannet, while all your pals are being target practice for live fire exercises....

All because....

Sith Happens.

but.. but.. but.. midichlorians.. Head meets wall
dorktainian
dorktainian
Sovereign

Back to top Go down

Post by ZerebusPrime Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:34 pm

(XL) Was the Ending a Hallucination? - Indoctrination Theory Mark IV! - Page 18 1151

And we're back on topic!
ZerebusPrime
ZerebusPrime
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Maximus Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:53 pm

ZerebusPrime wrote:(XL) Was the Ending a Hallucination? - Indoctrination Theory Mark IV! - Page 18 1151
And we're back on topic!

#1 #Nohomo
(XL) Was the Ending a Hallucination? - Indoctrination Theory Mark IV! - Page 18 22841110
It's fabulous, so fabulous! I wanna do it again! Come on baby! It's fabulous, so fabulous!

#2 HA! Fusion!
(XL) Was the Ending a Hallucination? - Indoctrination Theory Mark IV! - Page 18 Goku_s10
His biotics levels are OVEEERRRRRRRRRR 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Rainbows and Unicorns!
(XL) Was the Ending a Hallucination? - Indoctrination Theory Mark IV! - Page 18 Bored10
Friends with 'benefits'!

Am I doin' this right? D:
Hey, it's still better than ME3's endings, EC or not! D:
Maximus
Maximus
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:49 am

Looking back at ME3 videos, it's just striking how many hints and themes there are pointing the player toward destroy.

Javik: Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
*pauses*
Javik: That silence is your answer.

Shepard: Lieutenant!
Lt. Victus: Victory... at any cost.
*Victus sacrifices himself to stop the bomb*

Hell, even in the earlier installments.

Shepard: What do the Reapers get out of this? Why do they keep repeating this pattern of genocide over and over?
Vigil: The Reapers are alien. Unknowable. Perhaps they need slaves or resources. More likely, they are driven by motives and goals organic beings cannot hope to comprehend. In the end, what does it matter? Your survival depends on stopping them, not in understanding them.

How the fuck did people get through this series and end up going "Hurr, hurr, jump in teh beam!"? Did these impossibly stupid fucks read Moby Dick and go, "Man, that whale is an ASSHOLE"?
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:34 am

Rifneno wrote: Your survival depends on stopping them, not in understanding them.

and that Vigil quote sums it all up for me. Shepard wasn't in this to make friends with the reapers and gain understanding of them. (control and synthesis) his mandate, his only mandate was to destroy the reapers by any means necessary.

Who in their right minds would make friends with them? Fucktards that's who.
dorktainian
dorktainian
Sovereign

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:35 am

dorktainian wrote:
Rifneno wrote: Your survival depends on stopping them, not in understanding them.

and that Vigil quote sums it all up for me.  Shepard wasn't in this to make friends with the reapers and gain understanding of them.  (control and synthesis) his mandate, his only mandate was to destroy the reapers by any means necessary.

Who in their right minds would make friends with them?  Fucktards that's who.

Agreed.  That Vigil line knocks it out of the park.  The Reapers were always a Lovecraftian horror, and when we look at some of the baseline rules of Lovecraftian horror, we see this line: Unanswered questions. Characters in Lovecraft's stories rarely if ever fully understand what is happening to them, and often go insane if they try.  That really spells it out.  If you let the Reapers get into your head and try to understand them, it will cost you your sanity.

They even foreshadow this on Rannoch.  If pick the neutral option, trying to understand the Reaper, it "wins" the conversation.  If you pick either the paragon or renegade options, which both amount to "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum," Shepard "wins" the conversation.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by vlad78 Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:00 pm

Rifneno wrote:Looking back at ME3 videos, it's just striking how many hints and themes there are pointing the player toward destroy.

Javik: Stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask the ghosts if honor matters.
*pauses*

Shepard: What do the Reapers get out of this? Why do they keep repeating this pattern of genocide over and over?
Vigil: The Reapers are alien. Unknowable. Perhaps they need slaves or resources.  More likely, they are driven by motives and goals organic beings cannot hope to comprehend.  In the end, what does it matter?  Your survival depends on stopping them, not in understanding them.

How the fuck did people get through this series and end up going "Hurr, hurr, jump in teh beam!"?  Did these impossibly stupid fucks read Moby Dick and go, "Man, that whale is an ASSHOLE"?

Because the ending was exactly what it needed to be. A total mindfuck.

vlad78
vlad78
Nemesis

Back to top Go down

Post by ZerebusPrime Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:43 pm

Rifneno wrote:Looking back at ME3 videos, it's just striking how many hints and themes there are pointing the player toward destroy.

*pauses*

Vigil: The Reapers are alien. Unknowable. Perhaps they need slaves or resources.  More likely, they are driven by motives and goals organic beings cannot hope to comprehend.  In the end, what does it matter?  Your survival depends on stopping them, not in understanding them.

How the fuck did people get through this series and end up going "Hurr, hurr, jump in teh beam!"?  Did these impossibly stupid fucks read Moby Dick and go, "Man, that whale is an ASSHOLE"?

What gets me is how whenever I would tell someone that knowing to choose Destroy and recognizing the other options as delusional was a simple matter of paying attention to the narrative, I'd almost always get a "how dare you judge me" response and get accused of sophistry in the least polite terms possible.

I do not understand the majority of the fanbase.

The game really does spell it out a million different ways:
(XL) Was the Ending a Hallucination? - Indoctrination Theory Mark IV! - Page 18 17r2r9plx6zkujpg
"Catalyst, Reapers, Crucible... you'll never understand. We don't want to be preserved!"
ZerebusPrime
ZerebusPrime
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:00 pm

vlad78 wrote:Because the ending was exactly what it needed to be. A total mindfuck.

That only excuses a foolish decision in the moment.  After a thorough analysis of things, which we've done dozens of times over, the facts are clear.  It's not like there's any solid support for control and synthesis.  They both appear in the series symbolically, and they always fail in fucking spectacular fashion.

ZerebusPrime wrote:

*pauses*

What gets me is how whenever I would tell someone that knowing to choose Destroy and recognizing the other options as delusional was a simple matter of paying attention to the narrative, I'd almost always get a "how dare you judge me" response and get accused of sophistry in the least polite terms possible.

I do not understand the majority of the fanbase.

It's part our current society's fault and part BW's fault.  Both for doing the same thing: assuring everyone they're all perfect little snowflakes and their views, no matter how retarded, are totally valid and worthy of respect.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:53 pm

One of the main arguments against IT is that it would violate the principle of choice in RPGs.

To that I say, well, you can still make stupid decisions if you want to.
DoomsdayDevice
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:16 pm

DoomsdayDevice wrote:One of the main arguments against IT is that it would violate the principle of choice in RPGs.

To that I say, well, you can still make stupid decisions if you want to.

What the fuck?  jRPGs are the most famous of video game RPGs (only behind Dungeons & Dragons as a tabletop game) and the closest thing you get to a choice in those what type of dress you want Lightning to wear while she's being a colossal bitch.

Or are we talking about a principle that all your possible choices are totally valid and there's no right and wrong?  Because that harkens back to what I was saying: both society and game designers need to stop coddling special little snowflakes.  There are very much right and wrong choices.  Sometimes you can't reasonably tell a decision is right or wrong beforehand but that doesn't make it any less right or wrong.  We are the result of 4 billion years of evolution brutally punishing the wrong paths.  The real world doesn't give a fuck about your feelings when you take the wrong road, and we need to stop coddling this generation by telling them it does.  Because reality is going to hit them in the face like a fucking shovel.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:04 pm

spot on rif.
dorktainian
dorktainian
Sovereign

Back to top Go down

Post by smash016 Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:54 pm

I'm watching this Judge Dredd remake right now and it's like Omega DLC all over the place. Or maybe they both feed on the same sci-fi blueprint, but damn, is Mass Effect memorable stylistically.
smash016
smash016
Scion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:23 am

smash016 wrote:I'm watching this Judge Dredd remake right now and it's like Omega DLC all over the place. Or maybe they both feed on the same sci-fi blueprint, but damn, is Mass Effect memorable stylistically.

Speaking of other works of fiction with similarities, I was bored yesterday and wound up reading the plot of the latest Terminator movie.  I figure I'm not going to bother actually watching it anyway, just like I didn't the last one, but it'll relieve 10 minutes of boredom.

MAJOR Genisys spoilers.

Spoiler:
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:38 am

Who would work 'with' the reapers to help them accomplish 'their' goals? Only the indoctrinated.  
So you choose Control or Synthesis 'you' have been indoctrinated.  Forget Shepard he's just a character in a game, Bioware indoctrinated some of their player base.  

I can see Bioware using shepard (or whats left of him) as an antagonist in the next game if you picked control or synthesis.

(XL) Was the Ending a Hallucination? - Indoctrination Theory Mark IV! - Page 18 Synthesis_zpskq3zz0bp (XL) Was the Ending a Hallucination? - Indoctrination Theory Mark IV! - Page 18 Control_zps5vmk6wzf

Last edited by dorktainian on Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
dorktainian
dorktainian
Sovereign

Back to top Go down

Post by Rifneno Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:01 am

dorktainian wrote:
I can see Bioware using shepard (or whats left of him) as an antagonist in the next game if you picked control or synthesis.

I thought that once too.  ME:A Culpa.
Rifneno
Rifneno
Honey Badger

Back to top Go down

Post by DoomsdayDevice Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:14 pm

Rifneno wrote:ME:A Culpa.

Haha, nice.

ME:A maxima culpa!
DoomsdayDevice
DoomsdayDevice
Being of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Eryri Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:50 pm

Rifneno wrote:
dorktainian wrote:

I thought that once too.  ME:A Culpa.

Laughing There can't be many gaming forums where you can expect Latin puns. Seriously Rif, if you're not already a professional writer, you should definitely think about becoming one. Your posts are always so entertaining.

So apparently Chris Wynn responded to a question about any familiar faces being in Andromeda with "it wouldn't make much sense, story wise".

https://mobile.twitter.com/The1Wynn/status/630874991131820032

So that has rather pissed on the last dying embers of my enthusiasm. Although it's not a clear "No" it is very close to one. A disappointing and, frankly, unfathomable decision imho.

Not that it matters now but, going back to the idea of Shepard being an antagonist, I did think of one more reason why Bioware might have moved the story to Andromeda. To hide the identity of the villain. They didn't come right out with the fact that a certain returning character was the villain in the trailers for DA:Inquisition, as it would have been a major spoiler for the dramatic reveal at the end of the first act. So, if they had a trailer set in the Milky-Way, and there were still Reapers running amok, everyone would know that the Crucible had failed. Therefore, Shepard probably had been indoctrinated, and it would naturally follow that he would be the villain.

Seems academic now though, of course.

Last edited by Eryri on Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eryri
Eryri
Phantom

Back to top Go down

Post by ericformans_sisterisdead Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:03 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/The1Wynn/status/633259010888704001

Thats the convo that dipshit wynn nd i had. What bothers me is the sheep that think this is okay
ericformans_sisterisdead
ericformans_sisterisdead
Geth Rocket Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by ZerebusPrime Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:29 am

One doesn't shake off indoctrination; there is no cure. One merely delays it or resists it. The damage is permanent. After the things we saw at the end of ME3, I cannot see Shepard rising from the rubble as his/her old self.

If he/she shows up in the next game, it'd have to be as a completely different person. :P
ZerebusPrime
ZerebusPrime
Space Cow

Back to top Go down

Post by dorktainian Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:45 am

An old Shepard went ridin out one dark and windy day
Upon a ridge he rested as he went along his way
When all at once a mighty herd of red-eyed machines he saw
Plowin through the ragid skies and up a cloudy draw

Their hearts were still on fire and their hooves were made of steel
Their horns were black and shiny and their hot breath he could feel
Indoctrination went through him as they thundered through the sky
For he saw the Reapers comin hard and he heard their awful cries

Yippie i ohhh ohh ohh
Yippie i aye ye ye
Damn Reapers in the sky

His face gaunt, his eyes were blurred
his skin all soaked with sweat
He's ridin hard to catch them now
But he aint caught em yet
Cause they got to ride forever in that range up in the sky
Machines snortin fire as they ride on hear their cries

As the Reapers loped on by him he heard one call his name
'if you wanna save your soul from hell a-ridin on our range
Then Shepard change your ways today or with us you will ride
Tryin to catch the squiddies across these endless skies

Yippie i ohhh oh oh
Yippie i aye ye ye
Damn Reapers in the sky
Damn Reapers in the sky
Damn Reapers in the sky
dorktainian
dorktainian
Sovereign

Back to top Go down

Post by Maximus Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:12 am

dorktainian wrote:An old Shepard went ridin out one dark and windy day
Upon a ridge he rested as he went along his way
When all at once a mighty herd of red-eyed machines he saw
Plowin through the ragid skies and up a cloudy draw[...]
(XL) Was the Ending a Hallucination? - Indoctrination Theory Mark IV! - Page 18 Tumblr_m17zrfJy481qbmew7o1_1280
'Rogue Shepard' by Matt Rhodes
Maximus
Maximus
Rampart Mech

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next